Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Prorat posted:

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/geoffrey-dickens/2017/04/04/flashback-media-loved-dems-nuclear-option-13

A great compilation of quotes from the liberal media praising the changes that ended up getting Gorsuch elected.

Comedy gold.

The Democrats did it for a single year but yea it was hosed up then too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

CBT Time posted:

Great news for the pro-chemical weapon crowd: Anti bombing Syria protests this weekend featuring none other than Ricky Spencer! Have a great time with insane conspiracy theorists and white supremacists convinced this is all the work of our Jewish puppet masters!

Is this how anti-war folks are going to smeared from now on? We're pro-chemical weapon now? You can't associate us with Trump anymore so you have to find a new label. We've gotten pretty used to being called conspiracy theorists. Being called a white supremacist is still pretty funny especially for us non-whites.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Gianthogweed posted:

Is this how anti-war folks are going to smeared from now on? We're pro-chemical weapon now? You can't associate us with Trump anymore so you have to find a new label. We've gotten pretty used to being called conspiracy theorists. Being called a white supremacist is still pretty funny especially for us non-whites.

The only way for peace is war, you racist.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Blue Train posted:

The Democrats did it for a single year but yea it was hosed up then too

They enjoyed supporting the Iraq war too.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea they're poo poo

They're enjoying Syria too

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gianthogweed posted:

It seems like you haven't realized it yet but america has become a retarded version of Big Brother from 1984.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've enjoyed all of our wars, peacekeeping operations, and kinetic military actions.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I think it's in bad taste that they kept using the word "nuclear option" when they were talking about the Supreme Court Justice.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/850785347038576640

Hahaha

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I should go out for some yogurt and contemplate stupid.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Gianthogweed posted:

Is this how anti-war folks are going to smeared from now on? We're pro-chemical weapon now?

Haven't you learned anything from noted documentary Metal Gear Revengence? You need a sword to keep another in the sheath

Also, without endless war and arms sales, the country would go broke in within a couple years

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zeluth posted:

I should go out for some yogurt and contemplate stupid.

"Rose Garden" hit the spot for me. I smiled and listened when you posted it.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I'm not a big fan of the US being the world police, but I'm also not a fan of chemical weapons, fake silicon asses and tits, or reality TV. But at the same time Obomba did tell him back in 2013-14 to get rid of his chemical weapons and there would be repercussions if he didn't.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That's Your Daddy!

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Wait, do liberals actually think bombing an airstrip is meant to deny its use for perpetuity or something?

A one-off strike is about sending a message slightly more forceful than a diplomatic cable.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Nut to Butt posted:

Wait, do liberals actually think bombing an airstrip is meant to deny its use for perpetuity or something?

A one-off strike is about sending a message slightly more forceful than a diplomatic cable.

I think it's supposed to hit the runway. Maybe make it unusable for a few minutes at least? Look it's stupid to harp on them not hitting anyhow because the military doing their jobs is not the political issue at hand. It's bad enough they routinely get brought into something political while they try to do their, albeit loving grim, jobs.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

There's no reason to bomb the runway of an airstrip duh I mean it's loving obvious

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Those are the wrong type of missiles to bomb runways though, which is weird.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
lolwat. The purpose of bombing an airbase certainly isn't to destroy it, nnnnnggggh. Everyone knows this.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

what a waste of money

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

TotalLossBrain posted:

lolwat. The purpose of bombing an airbase certainly isn't to destroy it, nnnnnggggh. Everyone knows this.

not just to destroy it but destroy it forever and also to prevent any runways from ever being built forever and all of time.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
It is in the vital security interest of the United States to moderately impair this runway, as a response to the use of chemical weapons.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Poetic Justice posted:

Those are the wrong type of missiles to bomb runways though, which is weird.

It's not all that weird that we didn't use a nuclear warhead, which is what you need to put a runway out of action good and proper. Runways are notoriously hard to appreciably damage, and actually pretty easy to repair. If you want to attack an airfield without nuking it, the runway should be at the bottom end of your target list.

The Brits had to design a big, cumbersome specialized munition called JP233 to deal with runways and it only worked with the Tornado. Durandal is about all there is in the way of dedicated runway-attack munitions any more. You can use JDAMs, but really even Syrians can fill in holes in concrete well enough for fighters to take off within a few hours.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

TotalLossBrain posted:

Actually destroying an airbase is a lot harder than it sounds. Saddam was still able to fly aircraft out to Iran well into the air portion of the war in 1991, despite a massive coalition air force trying to shut down his military airfields.

Basically, people have no business even talking about the actual effectiveness of the attack itself. What common sense tells you about this topic is basically completely wrong.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Poetic Justice posted:

Actually, there is just one race. The human race.

You're missing a few

Rat Race
Race to the bottom
Crash team racing

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

The Landstander posted:

It is in the vital security interest of the United States to moderately impair this runway, as a response to the use of chemical weapons.

Because no one would ever think to try to knock out some of the few dozen actual aircraft Assad has remaining or anything. Seeing as he can't afford to buy new ones and they don't even make the kind his dad bought on his spending spree 30-40 years ago.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Gianthogweed posted:

Maybe find something better than "launched missiles at a guy who bug sprays babies to death" to criticize Trump or whoever about? It's not like there's a shortage of other topics.

Or just don't be anti-war, since it's loving retarded.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Kiryen is dropping knowledge bombs, let's see if they have any effect.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Anti-war is actually a good and cool position to take, since I have no faith in the government to exercise it competently.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Kiryen posted:

Maybe find something better than "launched missiles at a guy who bug sprays babies to death" to criticize Trump or whoever about? It's not like there's a shortage of other topics.

Or just don't be anti-war, since it's loving retarded.

It'll be cool and good when we topple assad but leave a weak ineffectual government which gets taken over by isis

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
If there's anything we've seen over the last 70 years, it's that wars solve all our problems and don't create twice as many problems as they initially tried to solve

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Kiryen posted:

Because no one would ever think to try to knock out some of the few dozen actual aircraft Assad has remaining or anything. Seeing as he can't afford to buy new ones and they don't even make the kind his dad bought on his spending spree 30-40 years ago.
Trump is the one downplaying the significance of the attack in that tweet.

Unless there's another read on it? It is Trump and it is Twitter

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Zzulu posted:

If there's anything we've seen over the last 70 years, it's that wars solve all our problems and don't create twice as many problems as they initially tried to solve

And as evidenced by Cuba and Iran, regime changes go extremely well for the US

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

:sweden: :smug: Ve don't efen haf a military.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Zzulu posted:

Who's "our" ?

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Holy poo poo this is a terrible thread.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nut to Butt posted:

:sweden: :smug: Ve don't efen haf a military.

Bork Bork Bork Bork Bork

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
It looks like we're trying a "have your cake and eat it too" military strategy. Spend lots of money on missiles that don't kill anyone or escalate any conflicts. We could just keep doing this forever! Geo politics meta game has been solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Menstrual Show posted:

Holy poo poo this is a terrible thread.

Why's that?

• Locked thread