Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Kat is getting too many minutes on a team with 3 nba-caliber centers on the roster. Wiggins is basically the only real 3 I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
KAT is 21 years old, I'm sure he can handle 36 MPG just fine. The slightly increased chance of an injury playing a few more minutes than a hypothetical optimal amount is worth it so that the best young player in the league can get more experience and help his young team develop.

Plus, who are the "3 NBA caliber centers" on their roster? Cole Aldrich (big white stiff), Nikola Pekovic (always injured), and Jordan Hill (who?)?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tae posted:

Kat is getting too many minutes on a team with 3 nba-caliber centers on the roster. Wiggins is basically the only real 3 I think?

And he should be playing the 2. No one knows what position Shabazz plays, but SF is probably the closest. He also needs help defending any lineup.

Are you counting Aldridge as an NBA player? He's been pretty bad. I know his advanced stats look OK, but he isn't getting minutes because he frequently does nothing on the floor. The Wolves only have 1 rotation PF in Bjelica and he gets bullyed down low, so they are short on bigs too.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Kat is a center, Gorgui Deng is a center, Cole Aldrich is a very good defensive back-up C. The problem is that Thibs is very much set in starting two bigs in the modern NBA and even more so after bjelica went down.

You start two bigs if you get something out of it defensively like Utah, but the Wolves are bad defensively even with that.

Of course, I'm the crazy person that would rather see Shabazz at the back-up 4 than being a back-up 3 because if you're going to be bad defensively, at least make your offense nigh-unstoppable.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'm not sure you do that with a young team like this, especially as Wiggins SHOULD be a really great defender alongside KAT. Their big situation is weird right now, but if you can find your stretch-4 you can also slide Wiggins to the 4 like a super-Barnes and then you are set.

Wolves desperately need a 3 who can shoot and defend. My kingdom for Tony Snell.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The more likely is a 2 year deal with an old guy like James Johnson or PJ Tucker, which is fine because you want short deal vets that expire when Kat's extension comes up.

There just isn't a lot of two way players in this upcoming free agency that are UFA's.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Tae posted:

Kat is a center, Gorgui Deng is a center, Cole Aldrich is a very good defensive back-up C. The problem is that Thibs is very much set in starting two bigs in the modern NBA and even more so after bjelica went down.

You start two bigs if you get something out of it defensively like Utah, but the Wolves are bad defensively even with that.

Of course, I'm the crazy person that would rather see Shabazz at the back-up 4 than being a back-up 3 because if you're going to be bad defensively, at least make your offense nigh-unstoppable.

Aldrich is a little better than I gave him credit for, but he's a nothing on offense, and he's not exactly an iron man (never played more than 61 games in a season). He won the genetic lottery and uses his size to be effective on defense, but he's the textbook definition of a journeyman big white stiff - he's pretty OK at being that, but you don't generally do well as a franchise if you play a guy like that more minutes over a 21yr old putting up Shaq type numbers. As you said yourself, if they're going to be bad defensively anyway, why play a guy like Aldrich more? He's not good enough defensively to move the meter for them on that end, and he might as well not exist on the offensive end.

Deng is a center, sure, but he's exactly an average player. Unfortunately for Minny, he's the only other big man they have that's competent. In that case, you kinda have to find a way to play him and your superstar C together as much as possible.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cole's advanced stats are a mirage, he gets no minutes for a reason. He's been pretty bad.

Dieng is a starter-level player, and does a lot of the defensive heavy lifting right now. Wolves just need more players.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Dieng has looked like an unremarkable backup big, at best, every time I've seen him. If he is your worst starter, maybe you can get away with playing him the minutes he gets.

He has to play, though, because the other bigs on the team are much worse.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I like to use Pelican comparisons because they are what I know best and Dieng is like Jason Smith. Can start in a pinch and be OK, but you really don't want him playing more than 20 mpg unless you have no other choice.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nah, he's better than that. He is a good defender, pulls down offensive boards, and is an efficient scorer who also scores in the midrange.

His advanced stats are generally much better than Jason Smith, so while Dieng is a low usage player in that mold he is a step or two above.

He won't be an all-star or anything, but he could absolutely play heavy minutes on a playoff team.

I mean, we've seen bigs like Thompson, Speights, hurt-bogut all get big minutes in the finals. You don't need to have a high usage to bring a lot of value there.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Yeah Dieng is a solid player, he rebounds, has an 18 foot jump shot and defends well in the post. I think whether you'd rather have Tristan Thompson depends on matchup - against the Warriors TT is the better pick because he can switch and play on the perimeter easier but against Utah or the Spurs for example I'd rather have Dieng.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Punkin Spunkin posted:

LaVar Ball is the man

it's gonna be fine
just invest in raytheon

https://twitter.com/ReutersBiz/status/850317898711257089

haha

i love to war profiteer in the NBA threads

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Russell was padding his stats, as usual. Passing to teammates so they can score? Yeah, right. You're not fooling me, Russ. 3rd Team All-NBA for you.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Rick posted:

Glad she's okay! I feel like there has to be some other ATL SA person who should've gone in your stead, they're the failure..

I've been away, but I can't imagine the Hawks getting another fan since the time hotlanta man was the only one.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bobby that man is the franchise
http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017/4/8/15229762/nba-video-bulls-jimmy-butler-bobby-portis-hard-high-fives-again

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
"Sources told ESPN.com that the Mavericks intend to have Romo on the bench and in uniform for their final regular-season home date against the Denver Nuggets as a means of paying tribute to the longtime former Cowboy."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19110509/dallas-mavericks-honor-tony-romo-home-finale-maverick-day
This suddenly became a better game to go to.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Spacebump posted:

"Sources told ESPN.com that the Mavericks intend to have Romo on the bench and in uniform for their final regular-season home date against the Denver Nuggets as a means of paying tribute to the longtime former Cowboy."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19110509/dallas-mavericks-honor-tony-romo-home-finale-maverick-day
This suddenly became a better game to go to.

game is gonna end with denver getting a steal for a game winning fast break

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hope it's a blowout one way or the other and Romo gets some game time.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Next level tanking is replacing your whole roster with retired local sport legends

Nobody would boo

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
A meaningless late season Mavs game would be a lot more fun to watch if there was a potential Romo check in

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i never realized how much i wanted to see tony romo get dunked on

GhostOfMagellan
Mar 12, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

So, I haven't considered - until tonight - the fact that a team that occasionally starts Joe Ingles is going to make the NBA Playoffs.

I don't like it

He's fourth on the team in Win Shares!
: (

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Actually Jingles owns.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Cool Buff Man posted:

Next level tanking is replacing your whole roster with retired local sport legends

Nobody would boo

Next next level tanking is replacing your whole front office with retired local sports legends

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

The Glumslinger posted:

Next next level tanking is replacing your whole front office with retired local sports legends

Hahah, although the Lakers have won 3 in a row so they clearly haven't gone far enough. Bring on Smush Parker

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Let Magic coach the remainder of the season.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Cool Buff Man posted:

Nobody would boo

Kings legit could field a small ball starting 5 based on who's in and around the team:

Bobby Jackson (TV)
Doug Christie (TV)
Mitch Richmond (minority owner)
Peja (FO)
Vlade (FO)

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

The Glumslinger posted:

This tanking isn't going well enough :(

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Spoeank posted:

Kings legit could field a small ball starting 5 based on who's in and around the team:

Bobby Jackson (TV)
Doug Christie (TV)
Peja (FO)
Vlade (FO)

Isn't Shaq a minority owner or am I totally brainfarting

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Spoeank posted:

Bobby Jackson (TV)
Doug Christie (TV)
Peja (FO)
Vlade (FO)

Seriously who would boo them

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

r/Lakers is in chaos right now.

It's beautiful.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

BobHoward posted:

Isn't Shaq a minority owner or am I totally brainfarting

He is but I'm pretty sure Sacramento wouldn't embrace Shaq as a local legend

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Spoeank posted:

He is but I'm pretty sure Sacramento wouldn't embrace Shaq as a local legend

It would be entertaining to watch the fireworks though

Shaq would totally be up for it too. Listened to one of Amin El-Hassan's podcasts where he got to talking about Shaq's support for flat worldism and apparently there is precisely zero percent chance that was anything other than a troll, because Shaq loving loves trolling people hard.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Redgrendel2001 posted:

r/Lakers is in chaos right now.

It's beautiful.

the mighty lakers, reduced to building through the draft like peons

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Ramona Shelburne 11-14-2014 posted:

They can’t [tank]. This is Los Angeles, Bill. The Lakers have missed the playoffs six times in their entire history. Since Jerry Buss bought the team, they missed it once. 1993-94 and they missed it last year, and they’re going to miss it again this year. You can’t do this in Los Angeles. This is Hollywood. When you are not relevant, when you are not in the game, people just forget about you. It doesn’t matter if they win a championship, [the Lakers] would rather be 8th and at least have their fans engaged in this season, at least have them watching the games….they have to be relevant. They can not not be relevant.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

chunkles posted:

the mighty lakers, reduced to building through the draft like peons

That is the core is that fans don't know what it's like to do this and it is causing reactions of all sorts that were funny at first but are just straight up too gross to see. I think a hyper pro tank fan is going to like try and Nancy Kerrigan Ingram soon. Not joking.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Shaq is a minority owner but I'm pretty sure he's one of the minority owners that hates Vivek and is trying to undermine him so he's been relegated from his figure head publicity role

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

Shaq is a minority owner but I'm pretty sure he's one of the minority owners that hates Vivek and is trying to undermine him so he's been relegated from his figure head publicity role

Shaq doesn't want to spread himself too thin and dilute his brand between the kings on top of krispy kreme and his overwatch team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

quote:

With starting point guard Seth Curry ailing in recent days and officially out for the rest of the season because of a shoulder ailment, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has said on multiple occasions over the past week that the club would be looking to add "a pass-first point guard" before playing out the season's final five days.

People within the organization, sources tell ESPN, say he has been referring to Romo

Yessssss

• Locked thread