Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Keep running after the first one. Double jump and airdash to avoid ledge grabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Just do the light sword in heavy slot -> dash heavy aerial attack at the start of race 3 and the rest is pretty much trivial. I don't recall any issues with race 2 at all personally.

this is cool
https://sketchfab.com/models/bdaabfec3d1149f38007ddeb04467119

this is too

https://twitter.com/46ori/status/818400265464258562

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 8, 2017

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
That's some FFIX-looking 2B right there.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Rangpur posted:

That's what I've been going for lately without much success. The line between 'just hop on up,' and 'heave yourself up with momentum killing canned animation' is something I've yet to nail down. Does chaining dashes together save you any time, or is it better to just keep running after the first one?
Dash once and just run. When you get that running burst of speed you move insanely fast. It's hard to utilize this in the second race because you have to jump over ledges so much, but in the third race you want to dash and jump as little as possible so that you can just run fast as hell.

Also, equip three +6 Movement Speed chips for a big boost.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RanKizama posted:

Dash once and just run. When you get that running burst of speed you move insanely fast. It's hard to utilize this in the second race because you have to jump over ledges so much, but in the third race you want to dash and jump as little as possible so that you can just run fast as hell.

Also, equip three +6 Movement Speed chips for a big boost.

Move speed caps at 20% so you basically just want a 2 and 4 because they're easiest to get with low cost. 3 +6 movement speeds is way overcap

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Finally finished. That poo poo was good.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Move speed caps at 20% so you basically just want a 2 and 4 because they're easiest to get with low cost. 3 +6 movement speeds is way overcap
I wasn't sure how many were needed to cap, so I just packed my third chip set up with three +6 Movement Speeds and got the message about the 20% cap. After beating the third race, I swapped them out for EXP chips and starting farming Golden Rabbit.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Sooo I've finished route A and B except for Speed Star and perhaps one or two other quests I've missed.

Is there anything I should know/keep in mind going into route C? Like what do I get locked out of and when if ever do I get access to it again?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
You're never permanently locked out of anything, just temporarily obstructed.

Except Ending Y, but that'll likely be the literal last thing you do, or second-to-last.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Finally platted this thing, and without buying any achievements either. The 9S self-destruct one is rather dumb, though. I just left the game to sit for an hour in the Resistance Camp.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Bad Seafood posted:

You're never permanently locked out of anything, just temporarily obstructed.

Except Ending Y, but that'll likely be the literal last thing you do, or second-to-last.

Cool, thanks. Seems like the difficulty went up a fair bit going into route C, glad I took the time to get iron pipe and cypress stick to lv 4, they are a really strong combo it seems!

realized I missed getting an auto loot chip, would have been handy too when farming for stuff. is it after route c you can do chapter select and go back to buy/do stuff and does it carry over to the "present"?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Martout posted:

Cool, thanks. Seems like the difficulty went up a fair bit going into route C, glad I took the time to get iron pipe and cypress stick to lv 4, they are a really strong combo it seems!

realized I missed getting an auto loot chip, would have been handy too when farming for stuff. is it after route c you can do chapter select and go back to buy/do stuff and does it carry over to the "present"?

The short version is "don't spend too long farming until you've unlocked the chapter select, then decide if you want to deal with it or not at that point".

That said you can just straight up buy the auto loot chip from Devola/Popola in the resistance camp during route C

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Martout posted:

You can literally time travel to any point in the narrative carrying through all your inventory and weapons and skills etc from any access point after route C

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
Just blitzed routes C, D and E. That was draining. I kinda want to use my save game backup to go achievement / content hunting but it all feels a bit pointless now.

Is it correct to say, then, that Yorha androids are strictly speaking not androids at all, but rather android-shaped machines? The point of that plot revelation I'm guessing was to have 9S / the player question the difference between the nature of android conciousness and machine conciousness. Also, that the resistance androids and the Commander herself are the old-fashioned human-made AI type?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Fangz posted:

You can literally time travel to any point in the narrative carrying through all your inventory and weapons and skills etc from any access point after route C

ah cool, cheers

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The short version is "don't spend too long farming until you've unlocked the chapter select, then decide if you want to deal with it or not at that point".

That said you can just straight up buy the auto loot chip from Devola/Popola in the resistance camp during route C

oh they show up in route C too then, I went back to the camp right after getting control of A2 and I couldn't talk to anyone so I got a bit worried at first

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

immortal flow posted:

Just blitzed routes C, D and E. That was draining. I kinda want to use my save game backup to go achievement / content hunting but it all feels a bit pointless now.

Is it correct to say, then, that Yorha androids are strictly speaking not androids at all, but rather android-shaped machines? The point of that plot revelation I'm guessing was to have 9S / the player question the difference between the nature of android conciousness and machine conciousness. Also, that the resistance androids and the Commander herself are the old-fashioned human-made AI type?

I think they're meant to be somewhere in between. Not quite android, but not fully machine either

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Zinkraptor posted:

I think they're meant to be somewhere in between. Not quite android, but not fully machine either

Machines: garbage cans with thoughts

Androids:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Martout posted:

oh they show up in route C too then, I went back to the camp right after getting control of A2 and I couldn't talk to anyone so I got a bit worried at first

I don't remember how much stuff you can do in the camp with A2, but you can run some quests for them as 9S that opens stuff up a bit

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
So like, Pascal's Engel. Do we know what that's about? Is it his buddy somehow?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
So the voice actor of 9S, Kyle McCarley, has been streaming his playthrough of Nier Automata, often with Kira Buckland (Voice of 2B) showing up to hang out and also play (often in a 2B cosplay outfit).

Today they're wrapping up Route C, and someone captured a moment where Kyle got Taro'd pretty hard (spoilers for Route C) finding out what Pascal is selling

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I just spent like an hour in Pascals village the first time I was there and rounded up a shitload of side quests. I heard about some shop to invest in but I never found the bot offering that.

I have now died three times. Once in the prologue, once to Operabot, and now I died to a pig after fighting the two Goliaths. Lol game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The invest shop is in the route between the Park and the Village. It's a bot perched on top of a tree.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Rangpur posted:

That's what I've been going for lately without much success. The line between 'just hop on up,' and 'heave yourself up with momentum killing canned animation' is something I've yet to nail down. Does chaining dashes together save you any time, or is it better to just keep running after the first one?

For the second race what I ended up doing to win was drop a Slow on him to give me a head start.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Does anyone know why there are so many player corpses in Pascal's village? I've played all the way through the game and I don't get why so many people would die there. They're all high-level, too. They give you stuff like +6 chip effects and a bunch of G. Early on, I actually farmed a useful amount of G off those bodies.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Maxwell Adams posted:

Does anyone know why there are so many player corpses in Pascal's village? I've played all the way through the game and I don't get why so many people would die there. They're all high-level, too. They give you stuff like +6 chip effects and a bunch of G. Early on, I actually farmed a useful amount of G off those bodies.

The machine snakes are pretty much a one or two-hit kill on Hard and above.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Archenteron posted:

So the voice actor of 9S, Kyle McCarley, has been streaming his playthrough of Nier Automata, often with Kira Buckland (Voice of 2B) showing up to hang out and also play (often in a 2B cosplay outfit).

Today they're wrapping up Route C, and someone captured a moment where Kyle got Taro'd pretty hard (spoilers for Route C) finding out what Pascal is selling

Did you intentionally make the clip entirely Kira Buckland talking about her outfit and not actually include Kyle mentioning what he discovered? Cause that's pretty funny...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snak posted:

Did you intentionally make the clip entirely Kira Buckland talking about her outfit and not actually include Kyle mentioning what he discovered? Cause that's pretty funny...

You can't change the length of twitch clips. It was still an amazing moment with or without the context imo.

Anyone who isn't watching the playthrough really should go back and do so, it's great. Kyle and friends are all such sweethearts and they actually know very little about the game since they're only the VAs, so all their reactions to the hearbreaking stuff so far have been totally genuine.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Snak posted:

I didn't make the clip, but the contrast of Kira merrily chatting with the offscreen friend while Kyle processes everything and weakly tries to grab her attention again is rather funny, yes

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

Did something shameful

The friggin hover hologram ring around the cigarette, :laffo:

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Archenteron posted:

Holy poo poo that was funny

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The high pitched scream greeting is ear splitting, goddamn

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Finally managed to complete the 2nd Speed Star race by running up the tree root instead of crossing the roof. 3rd race was easy by comparison. Also finished Route B with what I think are all the available subquests done and weapons found. That's a very ominous preview, under the circumstances.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Archenteron posted:

lol 'shut up about your stupid dress I've just been metaphysically owned'

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Rangpur posted:

Finally managed to complete the 2nd Speed Star race by running up the tree root instead of crossing the roof. 3rd race was easy by comparison. Also finished Route B with what I think are all the available subquests done and weapons found. That's a very ominous preview, under the circumstances.

Oh man, you are in for a treat. Before you start playthrough C, just make sure you have a couple of hours to play uninterrupted. That's all I'll say. Also, Save often. You'll thank me when you find out why.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So, uh, how are you supposed to get this? I got it using a sequence of cancelled small sword air heavies that a friend told me about but that feels too exploity to be the right way.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 9, 2017

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

edit: never mind, wrong chest.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dabir posted:

So, uh, how are you [i]supposed[/i ]to get this? I got it using a sequence of cancelled small sword air heavies that a friend told me about but that feels too exploity to be the right way.

Run off the edge, use a few air attacks to keep yourself suspended until you cross under the bridge, then double-jump.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I think they do expect you to use some of the more obscure, exploit-y parts of the movement system there--I'm pretty sure I got it by falling off the edge, glide kicking to hover under the gap, and using a midair launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

What's in that chest anyway?