Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Mazdarati owns as it is openly done ironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

fridge corn posted:

it's a beautiful day 🌞😎🌞

It was indeed a beautiful day. I woke up with a hangover so stocked up on snacks and went out for a walk to try to shift it. Found an awesome little pond about 2 miles away from home down a path I had never taken which was rammed full of newts and sat and watched them for ages. Did another 8 miles. Sat and read a book in a sunny field for a few hours. Got slightly sunburnt. Definitely going to use this hangover cure again.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It is indeed. I woke up on a farm populated with babby goats and cows, petted 4 dogs and 2 cats, was shown an old Range Rover V8 I can play mechanic with, ate an egg sandwich, sat in the sun... It's a drat fine day.
I like the implication that working on it is just, you know, if you fancy it. It doesn't actually need anything.

Edit: Just seen FB post. :getin: :britain:

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 8, 2017

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I have found a new time vampire. Dude buildin' a boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C22Crc7XHoI

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Walmart chat: I decided a long time ago that I don't care for them as a company and disagree with how they do business, so I did the only thing I personally can do, and chose to never step foot into one of their stores (and now, buy online from them too I guess).

Voting with my wallet.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I have found a new time vampire. Dude buildin' a boat.

Welp... didn't want to accomplish anything today anyway!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

The Locator posted:

Welp... didn't want to accomplish anything today anyway!

I got a bad feeling I'm going to be parroting a Rhode Island accent for like an hour after I quit watching for the day.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Did some spring maintenance on my motorcycle and car. Weather is gorgeous, fuckin finally.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

BraveUlysses posted:

P sure he has me on ignore so keep quoting my posts namaste
Nope. I only have 1 AI poster on ignore, iirc, and I'm sure I'm not the only one on him. Unlike democrats, I don't try to shut down people I disagree with via name calling and hate filled protests.

InitialDave posted:

Working full time should pay enough to live on. Beyond that, if you can figure out how to get your shareholders to let you have twice as much rice on each square of the chessboard, fair play to you, it really isn't anyone else's concern, though you may have to make your own decisions about how to weather the social/politcal fallout.
This I agree with. Any person working full time should make enough to pay their own way. The problem isn't minimum wage, however. Its making each job valuable enough to the company, and enough of jobs needing to be filled, that workers are valuable enough to pay that way.

We have the same goal (every person being able to provide adequately for themselves and their family), we just have different thinking on how to achieve that.

In AI news...
Its new bike day for me. Which sucks, as its loving raining here.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 8, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

ilkhan posted:

The problem isn't minimum wage, however. Its making each job valuable enough to the company, and enough of jobs needing to be filled, that workers are valuable enough to pay that way.

Harry Potter for President

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ilkhan posted:

Unlike democrats, I don't try to shut down people I disagree with via name calling and hate filled protests.

Do you actually believe this behavior is isolated to one political party?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

ilkhan posted:

The problem isn't minimum wage, however. Its making each job valuable enough to the company, and enough of jobs needing to be filled, that workers are valuable enough to pay that way.

If workers were fairly compensated through free market forces only, the minimum wage would never have been established.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Do you actually believe this behavior is isolated to one political party?
Isolated? No.
Normalized? Yes.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

ilkhan posted:

In AI news...

Did you get a ninja 300?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

ilkhan posted:

Unlike democrats, I don't try to shut down people I disagree with via name calling and hate filled protests.

You didn't even make it out of your own sentence without proving yourself incorrect. Truthfully, everyone does it, usually waffling between Manifest Destiny and "Church of Reason," or some other definition of the same thing.

ilkhan posted:

In AI news...

Sounds like it was wrong new bike day!

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

ilkhan posted:

Isolated? No.
Normalized? Yes.

Uhh, I can assure you it's the opposite outside of California. The barber I go to told me yesterday that life flight had to pick up a guy from the bar 2 blocks away because he spoke in defense of Obama.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

DJ Commie posted:

You didn't even make it out of your own sentence without proving yourself incorrect. Truthfully, everyone does it, usually waffling between Manifest Destiny and "Church of Reason," or some other definition of the same thing.

Sounds like it was wrong new bike day!
There was a *little* bit of irony in that line, yes. :)

Any new bike day is a good new bike day. But having the weather's co-operation would have been nice.

rdb posted:

Did you get a ninja 300?
Yes.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ilkhan posted:

Isolated? No.
Normalized? Yes.

So you believe this behavior:

ilkhan posted:

...to shut down people I disagree with via name calling and hate filled protests.

Is only normalised by one political party, the democrats? Nothing recently would indicate to you their opposition does the same?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Got my car washed to help it get through the MOT. Must have worked as it flew through with no advisories

Next morning, seagull diarrhoea all over the paintwork.

Karma is balanced.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

cakesmith handyman posted:

So you believe this behavior:

Is only normalised by one political party, the democrats? Nothing recently would indicate to you their opposition does the same?

LOL the Democrats / progressives aint got poo poo on conservatives for hate and name calling. Mostly because for conservatives, that's all they got as their lifeviews have been well and truly debunked by rational arguments.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

LOL the Democrats / progressives aint got poo poo on conservatives for hate and name calling. Mostly because for conservatives, that's all they got as their lifeviews have been well and truly debunked by rational arguments.

Democrats do subscribe to the "I'm intolerant of intolerance" thing and it bit them in the rear end when they refused to listen to a massive chunk of the country who has some misguided ideas but still need help

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I was thinking it was really weird for over 150 sirens to go off at once last night; they were blaming it on a "malfunction" until this afternoon.

Turns out Dallas got hacked last night.

At least they came out and admitted it was a hack.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 9, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Lmfao this is why security experts are paid $texas

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

There was a massive 12 car pile up in yesterday Supercar race in Symmons Plains in Tasmania

https://twitter.com/supercars/status/850602224560480256

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
My hot water heated has developed a mild leak, and has some exterior rust. Checked the build date...1989. :stare: Guess I should prob have this thing replaced :stonklol:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

ilkhan posted:

Nope. I only have 1 AI poster on ignore, iirc, and I'm sure I'm not the only one on him. Unlike democrats, I don't try to shut down people I disagree with via name calling and hate filled protests.

This I agree with. Any person working full time should make enough to pay their own way. The problem isn't minimum wage, however. Its making each job valuable enough to the company, and enough of jobs needing to be filled, that workers are valuable enough to pay that way.

You simply don't appear to have any concept of how much leverage companies have over employees, then.

End of the day, someone's got to shovel poo poo, sweep floors, flip burgers, and clean bathrooms for those businesses to exist. At present, the lack of a sufficient control on minimum wages means that companies can leverage their economic power and greater knowledge of the true value of that work to their business to get employees to do it for vastly less than the value they generate. The margin being generated there goes directly into the pockets of C-level employees and shareholders, for the most part.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It costs McDonald's pennies to make the burgers that they sell for $2-$4 and each store sells hundreds of them a day. But employees don't know that. McDonald's and everyone else can absolutely afford to give their employees a higher wage.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
There's a local burger joint here in Seattle, Dicks Drive In. They pay $15 and hour in Seattle, $13 an hour out of city. 100% medical benefits, $9000 a year childcare and a $25000 college scholarship.

Dicks believes in serving not just their customers but also the community. In the last couple years they've added one store and have plans to add another. They are a treasure to the city and every local hits up the Dick's nearest them everytime they return home from travel.

Point is you can run a successful business and treat your employees with dignity and respect, provide a fair wage and excellent benefits even when your employees are just students. I don't think they employee anyone over 25.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I mean, look at Costco. They treat their employees well.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Maksimus54 posted:

There's a local burger joint here in Seattle, Dicks Drive In. They pay $15 and hour in Seattle, $13 an hour out of city. 100% medical benefits, $9000 a year childcare and a $25000 college scholarship.

Dicks believes in serving not just their customers but also the community. In the last couple years they've added one store and have plans to add another. They are a treasure to the city and every local hits up the Dick's nearest them everytime they return home from travel.

Point is you can run a successful business and treat your employees with dignity and respect, provide a fair wage and excellent benefits even when your employees are just students. I don't think they employee anyone over 25.
I'm just amazed this has never been mentioned in a 14" thread.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

It has if I recall.

And who would have guessed, not forcing your employees to be slaves, gets you better customer service!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

If it was that successful they'd be adding dozens of stores, not one.

But I agree, I'd love to eat at that kind of place.

What does a burger there cost compared to McDonald's?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Bullshit. McDonald's, like Dunkin Doughnuts, Starbucks, and Subway, is a concept that works entirely because it is everywhere. That's their entire marketing strategy, being universal and habitual for consumers, and leveraging the power of a universal logistical chain on the back side.

If you're not going that route, slower expansion is better, because it lets you keep your branding and quality control high. C'mon, man, this is the basics of franchising.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm going to reiterate that some people don't have a grasp on economics like they think they do and leave it at that

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I'm going to reiterate that some people don't have a grasp on economics like they think they do and leave it at that

I'll have you know I took Macro-economics 101 in college as an elective, so I am totally qualified

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

ilkhan posted:

They are a family owned and run business, not a franchise.

a Dick's Deluxe is $3.10. Two patties, cheese, lettuce, mayo and relish. A cheeseburger is just $1.75. A burger $1.40. Shakes are $2.50.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Maksimus54 posted:

a Dick's Deluxe is $3.10. Two patties, cheese, lettuce, mayo and relish. A cheeseburger is just $1.75. A burger $1.40. Shakes are $2.50.

That's a lot less than I pay for burgers in Canada where the minimum wage was like $12. Even like basic burgers are in the $3-4 range here which is in the $2-3 USD range, and with a combo you're not getting out for under $9.

Five Guys usually dings me for $15-16 for a little + fries + coke.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

ilkhan posted:

Sorry dude but you're way off-base here. Going from one restaurant to two is literally the hardest and most complicated thing you can do in a business where it's already insanely hard to succeed in even the best possible circumstances. An abundance of caution should be applauded in this case; anything more than that is reckless beyond belief.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Maksimus54 posted:

drat, those are good prices. I'm going to have to remember that place next time I get up to Seattle. I'm a sucker for a good cheeseburger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's a lot less than I pay for burgers in Canada where the minimum wage was like $12. Even like basic burgers are in the $3-4 range here which is in the $2-3 USD range, and with a combo you're not getting out for under $9.

Five Guys usually dings me for $15-16 for a little + fries + coke.

I fed 4 adults for $25 today. If you ever swing by Seattle make sure you eat a bag of dicks

• Locked thread