Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Every hammer flattens people, and they don't all have such a telegraphed wind up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
My favorite are still the pokey ultra greatsword R2s. The physics of the astora greatsword/fume where you throw the weapon back, then somehow thrust them forward in a straight line without swinging them, and poking forward in a short push and somehow knocking people on their backs and making them slide across the floor is hilarious since the Greatsword in DS1. It's hilariously strong too, since they usually count as a thrusting attack, and therefore are a charged r2 counter that knocks people down.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

ng+5 gael finally rekt

i'm exhausted

so the irithyll straight sword was kinda awesome - good damage, frequent frostbite proc and quick enough so you aren't limited to just counter-attacking, which felt kinda important since he barely has any openings for slower weapons

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Nuebot posted:

I'm sorry but Izalith is just pure poo poo and no amount of grinding will make it not poo poo. Levels don't make you immune to lava and the boss is pretty much set up in a way that it doesn't really matter what stats you have.

As for the pendant, yeah you kind of missed that one. There's another golem behind that hydra that starts the whole chain of events.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Isn't there a ring that negates lava damage

I did get the ring that reduces lava damage. The issue isn't so much taking damage, but that the lava starts eating into your armor durability. The closest bonfire is the one hidden behind the fake wall in the ruin near the jumping dragon butts, and if you die, you have to run back across the lava each time. Add to the fact that you've lost your souls and can't repair your armor, and it gets really frustrating.

The lava itself isn't so much the problem; Lost Izalith proper is where I was getting frustrated. Getting past the fire-breathing demonspheres is no trouble, but I'd keep dying against the Titanite Demon on the bridge that goes back the the Demon Ruins since the area where fight him is so narrow, and there's a risk of falling of the bridge. I wish that there was another bonfire in that area so you didn't have run back each time.

I haven't attempted the Bed of Chaos yet, but I looked online, and there's a way to cheese the fight by quitting during the fight after eliminating each side.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

I did get the ring that reduces lava damage. The issue isn't so much taking damage, but that the lava starts eating into your armor durability. The closest bonfire is the one hidden behind the fake wall in the ruin near the jumping dragon butts, and if you die, you have to run back across the lava each time. Add to the fact that you've lost your souls and can't repair your armor, and it gets really frustrating.

The lava itself isn't so much the problem; Lost Izalith proper is where I was getting frustrated. Getting past the fire-breathing demonspheres is no trouble, but I'd keep dying against the Titanite Demon on the bridge that goes back the the Demon Ruins since the area where fight him is so narrow, and there's a risk of falling of the bridge. I wish that there was another bonfire in that area so you didn't have run back each time.

I haven't attempted the Bed of Chaos yet, but I looked online, and there's a way to cheese the fight by quitting during the fight after eliminating each side.

The real way to cheese that fight are tokhi bombs http://speedsouls.com/darksouls:Tokhi_Bombs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZAs03oKn24

The way you're talking about will just cause you to respawn outside the fog door. It doesn't make the stages any easier.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Jordbo posted:

ng+5 gael finally rekt

i'm exhausted

so the irithyll straight sword was kinda awesome - good damage, frequent frostbite proc and quick enough so you aren't limited to just counter-attacking, which felt kinda important since he barely has any openings for slower weapons

Heavy weapons are actually very solid on Gael because he has guaranteed stagger limits. Three hits with most heavy weapons (certainly with Great Hammers and Greataxes at least) will stagger him and the poise damage is stored for a bit, so you can very reliably time him out and abuse staggers to knock him out of the start-up of his moves.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I find it pretty amusing how Outrider Knights are just infinitely more difficult than Vordt

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

hanales posted:

The real way to cheese that fight are tokhi bombs http://speedsouls.com/darksouls:Tokhi_Bombs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZAs03oKn24

The way you're talking about will just cause you to respawn outside the fog door. It doesn't make the stages any easier.

I think it's to get yourself set up to get each side faster, and without having to dodge as many attacks. There's a spot over on the left side where you can stand without getting hit.

Here's the video I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq8pc68zkp4&t=1681s

The Tokhi Bomb strategy looks like it's faster, but it seems like you're still open to getting hit standing there at the base of the tree, and lining up the shot with the firebombs seems a lot more difficult.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

AttackBacon posted:

Heavy weapons are actually very solid on Gael because he has guaranteed stagger limits. Three hits with most heavy weapons (certainly with Great Hammers and Greataxes at least) will stagger him and the poise damage is stored for a bit, so you can very reliably time him out and abuse staggers to knock him out of the start-up of his moves.

Huh. I tried that, but had to give that up because I kept messing up and hitting him mid-combo, or just slightly too late - and I had no room for error. But that's good to know, I generally prefer the slower weapons! The straight sword was a nice change of pace though, I could do way more damage hitting him between attacks since even if I mistimed my attacks it the recovery was so quick I could just roll away

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why is it that, over the course of the entire series mimics completely break the targeting system? It's so loving obnoxious dying to those things because your lock on breaks out of nowhere.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Why is it that, over the course of the entire series mimics completely break the targeting system? It's so loving obnoxious dying to those things because your lock on breaks out of nowhere.

DS3's lock on seems to break really easily. I don't like it as much as the other games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Agreed

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The only time I have problems with the lock on is when I'm facing multiple targets and instead of locking onto the guy in front of me it goes for someone behind me instead. That doesn't usually happen with regular enemies though. Its more of a PvP issue since gank squads try to attack you from multiple angles and trying to target the right guy in thos situations can be finicky.

I have no idea if this is something the other games handled well but I doubt it.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Elman posted:

Next time I play through this I'm gonna name my character Earth and get a sick twist ending after the DLC.

I wanted to think that that's what it was implying, that you IRL are a reincarnation of your Dark Souls character. Not because i could find any evidence for that but because i wanted it to mean something besides "we;re tired of making dark souls games"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I actually feel like the lock on has felt worse with each consecutive game, with demons souls being the best.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I know I shouldn't be doing Friede low level but it's making me extra mad at how incredibly lovely DS3 is with storing rolls. In general I enjoy the DS3 combat but this is mechanically the worst thing in the entire series. In no situation should a game store an input for literal seconds, especially not one as action-oriented as DS3.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Your Computer posted:

Ugh, I know I shouldn't be doing Friede low level but it's making me extra mad at how incredibly lovely DS3 is with storing rolls. In general I enjoy the DS3 combat but this is mechanically the worst thing in the entire series. In no situation should a game store an input for literal seconds, especially not one as action-oriented as DS3.

It was fine in past games because it was supposed to punish mashing but with how quickly things move in DS3 yeah it can get pretty irritating, especially when you're trying to roll after being knocked to the ground.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Gael's greatsword is pretty cool.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Your Computer posted:

The controls in this game are absolute garbage, and it's part of the reason I hate the action-oriented shift it took. You cannot make an action game and not give the player action game controls. It feels like I'm constantly fighting to try and make my character do what I want, instead of directing them to do something, and it feels like dogshit. I'm also convinced there's at least a few frame buffer for dodge roll inputs in this game, and if I had 60 FPS consistently, I'd test it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

It was fine in past games because it was supposed to punish mashing but with how quickly things move in DS3 yeah it can get pretty irritating, especially when you're trying to roll after being knocked to the ground.

I agree, but I also think the DS3 storing is much worse than the previous games. I've never been one to mash, and I've never encountered this problem in the previous games but in DS3 if you get hit after you hit roll but before your roll starts (even if you just pressed the button once), it'll store the roll until your character can move again. This becomes very apparent in fights like Friede, who does combos consisting of a mix of fast and delayed attacks.

For example, she does several moves where it's 1-2-3-delay-4 so that even if you get hit by the first couple of attacks you can dodge before the last. However, because of rolls being stored, what has happened to me a lot of times now is:

- She starts attacking
- I press roll (once) but get hit before iframes begin
- She combos into the second and third attack
- As I regain control, my character rolls on their own
- I get hit by the delayed fourth attack

Some of her combos last a while too, so the roll is being stored for a good second or more which is insane. If their goal was to discourage button mashing, they could've capped it at a few milliseconds and achieved that , this feels much more like a bug than a feature.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What's the proper roll timing/direction to escape from the paired UGS lunge combo?

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Augus posted:

It was fine in past games because it was supposed to punish mashing

Vermain posted:

I'm also convinced there's at least a few frame buffer for dodge roll inputs in this game,

:chloe:

I know that only 95% of goons are programmers so i'll be restraining myself from getting literally mad IRL here

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

swamp waste posted:

:chloe:

I know that only 95% of goons are programmers so i'll be restraining myself from getting literally mad IRL here

Could you please post what your thoughts are instead of this weird cryptic message? I'm not made of glass.

edit: To elaborate: what I think is going on is that, due to dodge roll and run being bound to the same key, there's a few frame delay between pressing the dodge roll key and getting a response, since it's necessarily waiting for a key up state to send the player into a dodge roll, rather than a key down state. Even then, the delay seems a lot longer than in DS2: DS2 transitions into a run almost instantaneously after holding down the dodge roll key, whereas DS3 has a notable delay before it transitions into a run state.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 8, 2017

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
I guess tonight was not the night to start serious invasion pvp for the first time (all I want are the covenant items). Just getting ganked constantly in Anor Londo. Any good places for a SL108 invader?

e; gently caress people who want an invader to join their fight clubs.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 8, 2017

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

School Nickname posted:

I guess tonight was not the night to start serious invasion pvp for the first time (all I want are the covenant items). Just getting ganked constantly in Anor Londo. Any good places for a SL108 invader?

Invade boss rooms

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

School Nickname posted:

Anywhere you get ember activity indicators. Both DLCs are good places for constant action at basically any SL.

The Aldrich Faithful and Farron Legion areas are frequented by gankers, but pretty much anywhere you invade is gonna be putting you against at least one phantom.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Oh lol OK you understand that better than I thought you did. Sorry for being a dick. You're right, the double keybinding fucks it up, and it wasn't as much of an issue in the earlier games cause they were slower. When I started Bloodborne I had a problem with that-- pressing the O button too hard and it didn't send the key-up input til I had gotten hit already.

almost every action game youve played has an input buffer, and it's not there to punish you. It's one of those things you don't notice unless it feels wrong somehow. If Dark Souls didnt have one you'd constantly get caught in escapable combos and get punished for what should have been safe hits because you reacted too fast which would feel awful. DS3's feels lovely sometimes, partially because of what you said, partially because the hitstuns are all over the place in terms of length and they never seem to have nailed down how to deal with that, and partially because (I think? not 100% on this) they made the sprint start when the roll window closes 3 and not in 2.

Souls also has an issue with this cause they have to worry about PvP balance and don't want there to be any secret finger puzzle techniques that make the same interactions turn out differently because of something you can't see on the screen (but there always are anyway)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I forgot what the gently caress I'm supposed to do against Yhorm. I'm charging the stormbreaker with R2 and it's seeming to do normal damage.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I forgot what the gently caress I'm supposed to do against Yhorm. I'm charging the stormbreaker with R2 and it's seeming to do normal damage.

You have to charge it with L2 until it glows white.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Fully charge it up (which takes a bit, keep holding the charge, it'll be obvious when it's done), then still while in its stance, hit one of the attack buttons (forget if it's weak or strong). If you do it right you should see this huge wave of energy come out of the sword and (if it hits him) do a shitload of damage.

Max Wilco posted:

You can handle this titanite demon the exact same way you handled the one below Andre before you were strong enough to take it out. Just run past it. The ledge isn't so narrow that you can't get around it, it chases slowly to begin with, and it won't follow you further than the bridge.

Now if you want to farm it for its drops since it's the only respawning one, well that's different, but it sounds like you're just trying to make a run to the main part of the area and/or the boss.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FauxGateau posted:

Invade boss rooms

how?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Your Computer posted:

I agree, but I also think the DS3 storing is much worse than the previous games. I've never been one to mash, and I've never encountered this problem in the previous games but in DS3 if you get hit after you hit roll but before your roll starts (even if you just pressed the button once), it'll store the roll until your character can move again. This becomes very apparent in fights like Friede, who does combos consisting of a mix of fast and delayed attacks.

For example, she does several moves where it's 1-2-3-delay-4 so that even if you get hit by the first couple of attacks you can dodge before the last. However, because of rolls being stored, what has happened to me a lot of times now is:

- She starts attacking
- I press roll (once) but get hit before iframes begin
- She combos into the second and third attack
- As I regain control, my character rolls on their own
- I get hit by the delayed fourth attack

Some of her combos last a while too, so the roll is being stored for a good second or more which is insane. If their goal was to discourage button mashing, they could've capped it at a few milliseconds and achieved that , this feels much more like a bug than a feature.

I was about to come bitch about the same thing. TBH the combat/controls in this series maybe haven't aged well after recently playing Nioh.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cool thanks Guys .

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I've played for dozens of hours including probably 30-40 friede/other dlc bosses coop fights (and a dozen of solo ones) the last week and i haven seen a single "stored" roll. If anything i'm usually too slow with rolls to avoid quick follow up hits in certain boss combos.

Like the controls are still clunky and dated and stuck in their own legacy way and you're obviously not playing a Platinum game, but even after 80 hours of Nier recently i don't feel like DS has gotten worse, it's just its own wonky thing like it's always been.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think this only works on the PC and PS4. Crossposted from reddit:

mecarr posted:

Unfortunately Kimmundi / From has already taken notice of it, so I'll just share it :

It's the same as the old force casting trick, except that you use throwing knives instead of Estus after casting Force

Here's how to invade as a "friendly" moundmaker

Equip covenant

Use Red Eye Orb

Wait for "Invading another world message"

When Homeward Bone becomes unusable, try to use it.

Your character will perform that "can't use this" animation

Wait until "Invading another world as mad dark spirit" (Otherwise it might bug out)

Cast "Force" immediately followed by a throwing knife.

Like the old glitch, this can obviously also be used for free heals with embers or tumblebuffing.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
17 pale tongues and I can't take any more ganks, BKGs and fight clubs tonight. Gonna Play EVE Online, gatecamp and watch chaturbate. It's so much easier.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
How should I infuse the drat claymore? Heavy or refined with a quality build?

School Nickname posted:

17 pale tongues and I can't take any more ganks, BKGs and fight clubs tonight. Gonna Play EVE Online, gatecamp and watch chaturbate. It's so much easier.

You want to play EVE? Nothing is so bad to make someone want to play that terrible game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Uncle w Benefits posted:

How should I infuse the drat claymore? Heavy or refined with a quality build?

The claymore is like the quality weapon. Refined all the way, no question.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

School Nickname posted:

e; gently caress people who want an invader to join their fight clubs.

been invading at the first Dreg Heap bonfire and Corvian Settlement bonfire all day, lots of ppl and not too many gank squads, Anor Londo is awful with that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Like the controls are still clunky and dated and stuck in their own legacy way and you're obviously not playing a Platinum game, but even after 80 hours of Nier recently i don't feel like DS has gotten worse, it's just its own wonky thing like it's always been.

The controls handling like a tugboat can be overlooked in DS1 because it's a very slow paced game that's largely about pattern recognition, whereas DS3 is about split-second reflexes to dodge the outrageously fast beginnings of multi-hit combos from enemies that may as well have no recovery frames. I think Champion Gundyr is a great example of this progression: he's doing loving Roman cancels while you're trying to make your character not execute a dodge command that happened 3 seconds in the past. Not only do the poor controls make the game feel bad to play when you're up against enemies like that, it makes you feel like a chump when every enemy seems to be able to do much cooler movement and attacks compared to you.