Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Guy Mann posted:

When did the Mangosteen thing happen? I was under the impression that it was something that happened in the earliest days of the forum but Lowtax is still grousing about it in yesterday's Xenforo announcement.
Roughly 2005, iirc. I remember it being a couple years after I reg'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Original thread
SAclopedia entry

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Catberry posted:

Pepe is tainted forever. Trying to salvage him will be as fruitless as the whole "Tibetan sun cross" thing.

But loads of tourist maps for east asian countries use swastikas as a legend for Buddhist temples and that goes pretty well, especially because the Nazi version is tilted.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Mister Olympus posted:

But loads of tourist maps for east asian countries use swastikas as a legend for Buddhist temples and that goes pretty well, especially because the Nazi version is tilted.

The Nazi swastika is also always right-facing. Buddhism seems to know both a left-facing and a right-facing variant, each with different meanings.

Also: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...zi-symbols.html

Hollow Talk has a new favorite as of 00:28 on Apr 8, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Point is, you can't take it back.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

It's not that it was used by Nazis. It's that it is used by Nazis.

No one is saying to remove it from ancient temples. But maybe your maps and other modern poo poo doesn't need to include it. It's especially uncomfortable to defend the Swastika as a former axis power.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I had to pick out Hindu wedding cards online a couple years back, and every other one had a loving swastika on it. We gave the kids coloring pages during the wedding, and I had to photoshop out a swastika on Ganesh's forehead. And then I showed up to the ceremony and--swear to god--someone had drawn a swastika on a sticky note and put it on the offering plate because god forbid we not have one at the wedding.

What I'm saying is, I'm blown away at how much it's just not a thing outside of axis/ally countries.

But this is spot on:

syscall girl posted:

Point is, you can't take it back.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
this is the right thread to say I'm stunned that someone STILL has an "I'm Butt Wizard" avatar

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Hey now, other people had frogs, but I was the only butt wizard. :colbert:

Besides Butt Wizard, of course.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Hemingway To Go! posted:

this is the right thread to say I'm stunned that someone STILL has an "I'm Butt Wizard" avatar

Story time. :frogon:

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

It's not that it was used by Nazis. It's that it is used by Nazis.

No one is saying to remove it from ancient temples. But maybe your maps and other modern poo poo doesn't need to include it. It's especially uncomfortable to defend the Swastika as a former axis power.

The religious understanding and traditional cultural usage of the symbol in east asia outweighs its recent Western connotations so thoroughly that it's not really a big deal at all :shrug:

There were some fin-de-siecle houses in the neighborhood where I grew up in the midwest that had brickwork swastika ornamentation that always slightly perplexed me, though. Too early to be Nazi for sure but I have some real difficulty imagining it as a place cosmopolitan enough to have indulged in orientalism.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

HookedOnChthonics posted:

The religious understanding and traditional cultural usage of the symbol in east asia outweighs its recent Western connotations so thoroughly that it's not really a big deal at all :shrug:

There were some fin-de-siecle houses in the neighborhood where I grew up in the midwest that had brickwork swastika ornamentation that always slightly perplexed me, though. Too early to be Nazi for sure but I have some real difficulty imagining it as a place cosmopolitan enough to have indulged in orientalism.

The Holocaust is still within living memory and Neo-Nazi groups continue to use the swastika as their symbol of choice.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Oh, trust me, I'm not one to downplay the holocaust, I just mean that there's thousands of years of preceding cultural prominence present in the cultural context of that part of the world prior to that which is absent from the Western perspective. We inevitably encounter the Nazi usage first and learn about the origin of the shape later, as essentially a footnote; for people educated in that culture it's the reverse, so it's just kind of silly to even conceptualize it as something that could or would be phased out the way the post I quoted seemed to suggest. I mean, it's not like anyone's getting confused; the two connotations are... pretty discernible extremes :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I mean, it's not like anyone's getting confused; the two connotations are... pretty discernible extremes :v:

There's probably some crossover, Nazi-chic is pretty fashionable in some parts of Asia.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
"The Southern Cross is just a symbol of states rights"

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Guess where this is:

It's the big entrance gate of the Carlsberg brewery, in Copenhagen. It's been there for ages and it doesn't seem like they're going to destroy that gate any time soon.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Catberry posted:

"The Southern Cross is just a symbol of states rights"

Those states being Australia, Brazil, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and Samoa?

:thatsthejoke: - of course Australia has no rights.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Oh, trust me, I'm not one to downplay the holocaust, I just mean that there's thousands of years of preceding cultural prominence present in the cultural context of that part of the world prior to that which is absent from the Western perspective. We inevitably encounter the Nazi usage first and learn about the origin of the shape later, as essentially a footnote; for people educated in that culture it's the reverse, so it's just kind of silly to even conceptualize it as something that could or would be phased out the way the post I quoted seemed to suggest. I mean, it's not like anyone's getting confused; the two connotations are... pretty discernible extremes :v:
Yeah. I mean, in an alternate reality where the Japanese used a symbol very similar to the Christian cross while carrying out their crimes in Asia, I don't see Christians in the West dropping the symbol because of its association with genocidal warmongers. And the swastika as a religious symbol is way way older than the Christian cross, as old or older than civilization itself.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Guess where this is:

It's the big entrance gate of the Carlsberg brewery, in Copenhagen. It's been there for ages and it doesn't seem like they're going to destroy that gate any time soon.
To add a bit of context, the swastika was the logo of Carlsberg back in the day, stretching back to before Hitler had even been born. It was actually a pretty popular symbol in the West during the late 19th/early 20th century, which is probably part of the reason the Nazis adopted it.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Mister Mind posted:

Those states being Australia, Brazil, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and Samoa?

:thatsthejoke: - of course Australia has no rights.

I googled "rebel flag" and that's the name I got.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don't see Christians in the West dropping the symbol because of its association with genocidal warmongers.

Can we drop it anyway?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
prior to its association with the Nazis, swastikas were well known in the western world as a symbol of good luck. airplane pilots wore swastika pins and necklaces, and various versions were used by many different groups as their logo or symbol

also I mean it's just six loving lines. it falls somewhere above "a cross" but below "a star" in terms of complexity. every culture that figured out how to draw was drawing swastikas from the very beginning

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 09:37 on Apr 9, 2017

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I remember reading up on buddhism and hinduism before I started school back in the early 90s and found the sun cross so fascinating that I drew it all over for years without anyone stopping me (and this was in Norway where the scars is seemingly still fresh, at least we produce a great amount of books about the terrible years). It wasn't untill I started school and a teacher yelled at me for having a nazi symbol on my backpack and pencil case (for good luck none the less), that I stopped. Mostly because I didn't want to get yelled at. I still like the symbol, I just don't want to be associated with nazis.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Swastika Laundries in Dublin for most of the 20th century

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Datasmurf posted:

I remember reading up on buddhism and hinduism before I started school back in the early 90s and found the sun cross so fascinating that I drew it all over for years without anyone stopping me (and this was in Norway where the scars is seemingly still fresh, at least we produce a great amount of books about the terrible years). It wasn't untill I started school and a teacher yelled at me for having a nazi symbol on my backpack and pencil case (for good luck none the less), that I stopped. Mostly because I didn't want to get yelled at. I still like the symbol, I just don't want to be associated with nazis.

Same, drew it on the back of my hand in first or second grade because the symbol looked cool and when someone said "hey little dude you know what that means right" I didn't understand what he was talking about but I never did it again bc he implied it was a bad thing.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah. I mean, in an alternate reality where the Japanese used a symbol very similar to the Christian cross while carrying out their crimes in Asia, I don't see Christians in the West dropping the symbol because of its association with genocidal warmongers.

Well, I mean, that's where it came from originally.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
Heck, I think you could find a lot of former colonies not too keen on the flag of their colonisers, for that matter.

edit: and in that case, almost every european country should probably change their flag

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Exercu posted:

Heck, I think you could find a lot of former colonies not too keen on the flag of their colonisers, for that matter.

edit: and in that case, almost every european country should probably change their flag

About once a year some touring band playing here in Dublin will flash a giant Union Jack onstage, or say something which indicates they think we're part of the UK, and then the entire adoring crowd will turn on them and boo them heavily. Usually we can be won back over, but it's a fun game

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

hyperhazard posted:

I had to pick out Hindu wedding cards online a couple years back, and every other one had a loving swastika on it. We gave the kids coloring pages during the wedding, and I had to photoshop out a swastika on Ganesh's forehead. And then I showed up to the ceremony and--swear to god--someone had drawn a swastika on a sticky note and put it on the offering plate because god forbid we not have one at the wedding.

What I'm saying is, I'm blown away at how much it's just not a thing outside of axis/ally countries.

But this is spot on:

sooo... you purged a religious wedding by sanitizing its symbolism because it made you uncomfortable, and it's more important to remove all uncomfortable imagery from the public than to respect the practitioners of a religion in how they choose to represent themselves?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

hyperhazard posted:

Are you serious?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Catberry posted:

Story time. :frogon:

There was a mod Butt Wizard that wanted a Andy Warhol style image of the get out frog to be made into an avatar sized gif. He was planning on giving it to posters that sucked, telling them to get out, but he liked the gif so much that he made it his own avatar. Some other people still received it.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

trapped mouse posted:

There was a mod Butt Wizard that wanted a Andy Warhol style image of the get out frog to be made into an avatar sized gif. He was planning on giving it to posters that sucked, telling them to get out, but he liked the gif so much that he made it his own avatar. Some other people still received it.

Neat.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
And after it was given out to a whole bunch of others, people started confusing posts because they all had the same avatar so the added red text on each were things like

BUTT WIZARD
NO, I'M BUTT WIZARD
I'M *A* BUTT WIZARD (more of a boob wizard)

etc.

I want to say it started in PYF?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bhodi posted:

I want to say it started in PYF?

Yep, back in the era when we had a "No posts without an image" rule for the PYF Funny Photo thread because people kept bitching so much about all the derails.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Man, weren't those the days!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

sooo... you purged a religious wedding by sanitizing its symbolism because it made you uncomfortable, and it's more important to remove all uncomfortable imagery from the public than to respect the practitioners of a religion in how they choose to represent themselves?

Good thing the enlightened PYF guy was there to show the ignorant savages the errors of their ways.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

trapped mouse posted:

The high resolution version prints out very nicely.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hyperhazard posted:

steinrokkan posted:

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Good thing the enlightened PYF guy was there to show the ignorant savages the errors of their ways.

lomarf thread unexpectedly delivers so hard

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Midjack posted:

The high resolution version prints out very nicely.
I got it printed onto canvas, it looks good above my computer and serves as a nerd warning to those who recognize it

e: assuming they miss the myriad of other signs as soon as they walk in, obv

Bhodi has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Apr 9, 2017

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The East and the West are completely separate and never the twain have met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

The East and the West are completely separate and never the twain have met.

Hey Mac, what's the dope on the North and South? :v: