Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

At least Saddam never lived to see Trump become prez...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Volkerball posted:

How did the no fly zone in Iraq make things worse for Kurds.

The no-fly zone in Iraq didn't have the complicating factor of the Russian air force, or the Kremlin supporting Saddam.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Volkerball posted:

What they were upset about was the way the occupation was carried out.

the us is incapable of carrying out effective, constructive occupations on nations of people they see as inherently inferior, which explains why they never have had one apart from the marshall plan

this is why it is irresponsible and idiotic to expect anything to be different when seeing the start of this familiar process of acting as unilateral police force against rogue nations

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

The no-fly zone in Iraq didn't have the complicating factor of the Russian air force, or the Kremlin supporting Saddam.

It's not as complicating as you would like to think. Prior to this bombing, you were probably describing this sort of strike as an act of war that would lead to WW3, and instead, absolutely nothing happened. A vague interpretation of avoiding conflict with Russia is not an excuse to do gently caress all for the people of Syria.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Alternative option: I'm no longer a mod, so you can put me on your ignore list.

That's actually not an option if you have current moderators on your ignore list from back before they became moderators. :eng101:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rodatose posted:

the us is incapable of carrying out effective, constructive occupations on nations of people they see as inherently inferior, which explains why they never have had one apart from the marshall plan

this is why it is irresponsible and idiotic to expect anything to be different when seeing the start of this familiar process of acting as unilateral police force against rogue nations

I haven't seen any Syrians ask for an invasion. That's why bringing occupations and Iraq into it over-generalizes the situation into broad detached white boi talking points. Nobody even listens to Syrians. They think they can talk over them instead.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Randler posted:

That's actually not an option if you have current moderators on your ignore list from back before they became moderators. :eng101:

Have you tried emptying and then repopulating your ignore list?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Have you tried emptying and then repopulating your ignore list?

Emptying is not an option, as that would affect my ability to ignore moderators as well. :colbert:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Volkerball posted:

It's not as complicating as you would like to think.

It actually is, and the fact that Turkey shot down a Russian plane not too long ago and only narrowly avoided a war with them probably should clue you in a bit more. Russian and American pilots squaring off and killing one another is, in fact, the way that wars get started, even if they're proxy wars.

quote:

Prior to this bombing, you were probably describing this sort of strike as an act of war that would lead to WW3,

Nope. I did question what good it would do, and still do. I was slightly hopeful in the immediate aftermath that the strike would yield good results until I found out that Trump had warned the Russians, who warned the Syrians, and Assad's ability to launch strikes on his own people had not been significantly impeded. Now, my chief concern is that Trump will feel compelled to do more, in an effort to show that he's strong and not a stupid weak manbaby, and that will lead to an occupation.

quote:

and instead, absolutely nothing happened.

In the short-term, no. Absolutely nothing world-ending happened immediately after "shock and awe," either, but it's pretty dumb to judge the efficacy of the invasion based on that alone. Point is, further involvement will likely lead to a ground occupation to some degree, which will up the ante on the proxy war, and that will not be a good thing.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 8, 2017

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
arms dealer with a golden heart and no long term plans for what happens next

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
i'm just surprised trump didn't do something a lot stupider like trying to bomb whatever the syrian white house equivalent is

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009
I suppose Raytheon needs to make an TLAM anti-runway package.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

fishmech posted:

i'm just surprised trump didn't do something a lot stupider like trying to bomb whatever the syrian white house equivalent is

I'm sure he wanted to, and the generals had to pull him back quite a bit.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

fishmech posted:

Really? I'd actually be more surprised if Trump took his job seriously enough to think about what to hit with missiles. And I don't think we are at a point again, where the military/bureaucracy that actually drafts the plans is confident enough to just put something like that in.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

It actually is, and the fact that Turkey shot down a Russian plane not too long ago and only narrowly avoided a war with them probably should clue you in a bit more. Russian and American pilots squaring off and killing one another is, in fact, the way that wars get started, even if they're proxy wars.

Narrowly avoided a war lmao. What planet the gently caress are you from. It barely even dented their relations. Like 2 months later people were arguing that Turkey was aligning with Russia because of how tight they were.

quote:

Nope. I did question what good it would do, and still do. I was slightly hopeful in the immediate aftermath that the strike would yield good results until I found out that Trump had warned the Russians, who warned the Syrians, and Assad's ability to launch strikes on his own people had not been significantly impeded. Now, my chief concern is that Trump will feel compelled to do more, in an effort to show that he's strong and not a stupid weak manbaby, and that will lead to an occupation.

In the short-term, no. Absolutely nothing world-ending happened immediately after "shock and awe," either, but it's pretty dumb to judge the efficacy of the invasion based on that alone. Point is, further involvement will likely lead to a ground occupation to some degree, which will up the ante on the proxy war, and that will not be a good thing.

You can drop the Obama era talking points whenever. You want to be an effective voice against occupation? Salvage some of your credibility and recognize that diplomatic initiatives like the chemical weapons deal accomplished jack poo poo, and something needs to be done. And there's a lot of things that fall in that category short of another Iraq war or world war 3. If you're coming from that platform, you'd be a lot more difficult to just completely discount. As it stands, you just sound dogmatic.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
The stupid poo poo caucus.

I found it.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
The airstrike was dumb and not given serious thought at all. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Volkerball posted:

Narrowly avoided a war lmao. What planet the gently caress are you from. It barely even dented their relations. Like 2 months later people were arguing that Turkey was aligning with Russia because of how tight they were.

Ah yes, and just imagine how tight it will make our relations with Russia once we accidentally shoot down one of their planes, or they shoot down one of ours. You've clearly thought this through, vb.

quote:

You can drop the Obama era talking points whenever. You want to be an effective voice against occupation? Salvage some of your credibility and recognize that diplomatic initiatives like the chemical weapons deal accomplished jack poo poo, and something needs to be done.

Indeed, backing another disastrously stupid occupation, led by another incredibly ignorant president - clearly the road to credibility, both for me personally, and for the U.S. internationally.

e: Also OPCW managed to destroy a lot of Assad's chemical weapons; while he kept some of them hidden, the fact that he now has considerably less than he previously did is A Good Thing.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 8, 2017

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
i shoot high-caliber rifle rounds into the ground and then touch the earth in its bullet holes in a sexual manner

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Rodatose posted:

i shoot high-caliber rifle rounds into the ground and then touch the earth in its bullet holes in a sexual manner

rodatose parachute of vb confirmed????

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/sam_kriss/status/850286747057573888

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

"diplomacy and multilateral actions like that dang obummer did were dumb. now let me tell you why gettin those handful of migs really gets my dick hard avenges dead syrians that i use as a rhetorical weapon without zero empathy genuinely really feel for"

-donnie "volkerball" trump

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

c h r i s t

so how long before we start getting "history will vindicate trump" takes

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/SulomeAnderson/status/850834055692259329

That's like the 3rd law of Trumpodynamics.

Edit:

stone cold posted:

c h r i s t

Historical Trump already wrote his own attack copy, LOL.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 9, 2017

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

stone cold posted:

c h r i s t

we're already getting them from Repubs, and similar takes from neocon Dems

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

What the hell I take a few days off to play Game Of The Year Persona 5 and VB/AA combine into a lovely Voltron (Trolltron?) to terrorize dadchat.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Aves Maria! posted:

we're already getting them from Repubs, and similar takes from neocon Dems

"piss me yet?"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

stone cold posted:

"piss me yet?"

Disturbingly prescient Photoshop Phriday:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
"he became president today" i chirp as i furiously work dick cheney's withered shaft

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Furnaceface posted:

What the hell I take a few days off to play Game Of The Year Persona 5 and VB/AA combine into a lovely Voltron (Trolltron?) to terrorize dadchat.
Persona 5 is awesome, and most anime.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I spend way too much time fusing demons to spread abilities around only to realize Im missing super important ones like the -unda skills and some boss wrecks my poo poo because he can self buff.

Also only 5 levels away from being able to fuse a Mara. Nothing says anime like a giant penis riding a chariot.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/katienolan/status/849040453282516993

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Actually, Persona is bad, because the success of the Persona series means we have to wait even longer for a proper SMT. :smith:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Randler posted:

Actually, Persona is bad, because the success of the Persona series means we have to wait even longer for a proper SMT. :smith:
Play Persona 5 and be happy.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNyDjkPO8l0

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Play Persona 5 and be happy.

I will. Once Atlus ports it to PC.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Volkerball posted:

All the "non-unbearable people" must've forgot to give you your slack invite. Got lost in the email lmao.

that's not where the non-unbearable people are

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Randler posted:

I will. Once Atlus ports it to PC.

If you dont have a PS4 why are you even complaining about the lack of a proper SMT game? :colbert:

Also I have hope that we get another Devil Summoner game. Or a new Nocturne for me to get angry at because holy poo poo that game was loving hard. Its their 20th anniversary, they are probably going to try and do something special outside of Persona and the re-release of Strange Journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Furnaceface posted:

If you dont have a PS4 why are you even complaining about the lack of a proper SMT game? :colbert:

Also I have hope that we get another Devil Summoner game. Or a new Nocturne for me to get angry at because holy poo poo that game was loving hard. Its their 20th anniversary, they are probably going to try and do something special outside of Persona and the re-release of Strange Journey.

Because a proper mainline SMT might get me to buy the respective console, while Persona 5 would not.

• Locked thread