Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

This is good plane discussion. I'm gonna let it keep rolling.

I'm expecting some intel and a statement from General Krishna. Things are potentially going hot on a much larger scale. We might have a narrow window to get ballsy. More details to come!

(AKA, I'm waiting on some dude on Fiverr)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Oh, good. I guess the Indians will at least be just as keen as us to try and deal with the J-20's asap.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Welp, time to pack it up boys. Who feels like some eco-terrorism? Can we get that frigate for 100m?

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

This is going to end with Goons starting the nuclear war between India and China, isn't it?

:getin:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Serpentis posted:

Oh, good. I guess the Indians will at least be just as keen as us to try and deal with the J-20's asap.

My thoughts exactly. The first shootdown of a brand new 5th generation fighter would be loving huge for us and India alike.

EDIT: vv It couldn't hurt. We should be sure to distribute weapons in storage across multiple bunkers if possible or else we may get a rude surprise too.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 9, 2017

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Well, crap. Is it time to buy more Meteors?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Davin Valkri posted:

Well, crap. Is it time to buy more Meteors?

Ammo buys are all post mission now to prevent me from going crazy while I play "Excel Procurement Simulator 2017 : FedBizOpps.gov".

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

haha holy poo poo goons started a war between the two most populous nations on Earth

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
It's time for us to go, I think. Discretion is the better part of valour.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Quinntan posted:

It's time for us to go, I think. Discretion is the better part of valour.

I see what you mean, but the IAF probably won't let us go, since we're on retainer and all.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

LostCosmonaut posted:

haha holy poo poo goons started a war between the two most populous nations on Earth

Not for long they won't be! :eyepop:

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Dandywalken posted:

Not for long they won't be! :eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIMH50X0F-4

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Yyyyyyeah, as Davin says, being on retainer to the IAF means we can't just walk away. Yet. Presumably there's some kind of "we did not sign up for this poo poo" clause in there somewhere that lets us back out if (god forbid) nukes start flying or something equally disastrous, but unless that happens, I believe we're here til the job's done. As hard as we've made it for ourselves, natch.

...there'd better be a clause of that kind...

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

Quinntan posted:

Which is why everyone has been advocating for us to sell the Sk60s at the earliest possible opportunity. If we're going to replace them, let's not replace them with things that are almost as likely to get shot down.

Your plan involves us somehow knowing where the J-20s or even the J-16s are without the Chinese knowing where our elderly MiGs are. We cannot use operational concepts that rely on one in a million odds for success because that will get aircraft shot down and, more importantly, money wasted.

They wouldn't know where our MiGs are, because literally hiding behind Mt Everest provides really good terrain masking. I just ran a couple tests, and hiding in the valleys really does work -- the J-20 can't spot jets with its Radar or IRST until it flies over the valley our jets would be in. (Even then, the J-20 still spots our jets the instant its radar can see into the valley, before we can spot it visually.)

Other than that, though, you're right in that the odds are a million to one. It'd be wasting pretty much all our money and most of our airforce for a near meaningless gesture.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
It was mentioned that the "Volunteers" had brought up some MRLS right? Is there any chance that they could be brought into range of Lhasa and have them rocket that place to ruin?

Other wise my suggestion is keep any future missions short and sweet. No long sweeping patrols or flight plans. Pick out a target, work out the shortest path to the target, make only one bomb or rocket or missile attack and then return to base. If asked to provide CAS or such only do so once specific targets are known. As for air patrol that is off the board completely at this point I would say.

We just don't have the technology to counter the J20s if they are as capable as the Chinese say they are.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Can't wait for the Chinese to lob a TBM with a payload of special sauce at our base as a little howyadoin

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

aphid_licker posted:

Can't wait for the Chinese to lob a TBM with a payload of special sauce at our base as a little howyadoin

Same. That and our first encounter with the J-20 should be amazing.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Jeez one little flare up and half the goons want to run for the hills. You'll never get anywhere in this business with an attitude like that.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Yooper posted:

Here's the skinny on those museum pieces. They've got four of each. Some are pristine beauties that rolled off the assembly line and onto a museum. Other's are rat infested pieces of poo poo. We get all or nothing. There is a 50% chance that each is beautiful. If it's not we use it for parts and the next plane has a 75% chance of working out. Near as we can tell this is what the Ukrainian air force grounded once the hostilities wound down.

SU-25 Ukrainian Model
MIG-23MLD Flogger K
MIG-29 Fulcrum C

Do we want to buy these?

I'm expecting more intel from the Indians in regard to what came in up in Lhasa. More to come.

Maybe.

At this point, the Ukranian buy does two things 1) increase our ground attack capability (cluster bombs, dumb bombs, bigger rockets, and the Frogfoot's laser-guided missiles) and 2) provide cheap replacement rides for the goons who lost their RB 60s. These aren't competitive air-to-air aircraft and will need careful CAP protection from the Gripens.

The good news is that we can be much bolder in operating aircraft at low-level now that the Chiniese SAMs and radars are at the bottom of the ocean. If we can stop them from launching rockets 3km away from the target (like the RB 60s did last mission), then we'll get more hits.

The Ukranian buy isn't a great deal, but it isn't a terrible one, either. It does up our CAS and ground strike abilities a fair amount.

Can we see what other arms dealers have to offer?

In light of the higher fighter threat, I'd like to see if there are F-15s, F-16s, Super Hornets, or F-14s on the market. We're going to need something with strong air-to-air capability and standoff ground strike ability.

Failing that, I wonder if there are any any more Phantoms of modernized Su-27 or Su-30s on the market?

It might also be worth seeing if we could snap up those FA-50 Golden Eagles and get the AMRAAM upgrade -- they are basically affordable F-16s.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Between theaters we'll get to talk to a bunch of suppliers, I think, but just between missions we get whatever special event Yooper cooks up.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
I went looking at other stuff we could look at acquiring and I found this...

http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/4241/

Turkish F-4 Terminator 2020

Now, why would this be a potential pickup? It carries a missile called the SOM A, a 240km range cruise missile. At the moment we don't have anything that can deal with the HQ-7s defending Lhasa, so why not try to hit the airfield from beyond their range? These would do a decent job of knocking holes into hangars and ammo dumps. Our best option for dealing with J-20s is knocking them out on the ground, and these'd do the job for us.

Failing that, we can also go for this:

http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/3697/

An upgrade for our Gripens with SDB capability. The SDB is a 250lb GPS-guided glide bomb with a 110km range. We can pick out specific points that would degrade Chinese ability to run operations such as fuel stores. If we can't get the aircraft themselves, we can get their fuel. The SDB would also be basically impossible for local air defences to shoot down, there's too small. However, they're not going to destroy hardened hangars, a negative for us as the J-20s will be in those hangars.

Finally, there's this:

http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/600/

I've been advocating for the Fencer for a while, but I don't think I've ever really articulated why. First of all, anti-radar missiles for days. We have a choice of three on the Fitter, including one that has 110km range and flies at mach 3.5. There's also fun stuff like the Kh-59M, a 110km range, TV-guided missile, laser-guided bombs, the same laser-guided missiles that our newly acquired Frogfoots have got and finally some utterly monstrous, 3,300lb laser-guided bombs. They're not the youngest aircraft in the world, but these capabilites are nuts.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Voting no on the museum buy. I was expecting a couple of helicopters really.

I don't want to go crap and commie with our fleet. Sleek and Scandinavian, please. Failing that, I'm into slightly more unusual stuff like the Hawks, the SEPECAT Jaguar, Bucaneers, Soko J-22 (to show the Chinese anyone can have a J plane, also has LGBs) or G4M, Alphajets are surprisingly versatile, or anything French really. Hell, I'd take a FIAT.

I know F-16s are a Smart Choice but we didn't pick the ANG. We didn't pick the Russians either. Obscure Eurojets are the way to go. You don't get to hear about them often l, or see what they can do, so it might be nice to take that angle in-game.

In fact, if Jack could get his hands on a couple of Magisters, they come as 2-goon, V-tail, 50s light jets with ATGMs (designated AGM-22 bu the Americans). They're actually very variable missiles. Not sure the game has it but they came with HEAT, HE, Anti-ship and even bunker busting warheads

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

simplefish posted:

In fact, if Jack could get his hands on a couple of Magisters, they come as 2-goon, V-tail, 50s light jets with ATGMs (designated AGM-22 bu the Americans). They're actually very variable missiles. Not sure the game has it but they came with HEAT, HE, Anti-ship and even bunker busting warheads

The AGM-22 is the SS.11, a MCLOS (manually commanded line of sight) (!) missile with a wire going from the missile to the launch aircraft. The pilot (or backseater, I would hope, in the Magister) has to manually guide the missile to the target while also flying the aircraft, he's basically flying two things at once. Trying to aim a missile like that while stationary is hard enough as is, but trying to do it from an aircraft while maneuvering to avoid ground fire... how are you going to hit anything like that?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Quinntan posted:

The AGM-22 is the SS.11, a MCLOS (manually commanded line of sight) (!) missile with a wire going from the missile to the launch aircraft. Trying to aim a missile like that while stationary is hard enough as is, but trying to do it from an aircraft while maneuvering to avoid ground fire... how are you going to hit anything like that?

Yeah the Magister would be just ever so slightly better than a Sk60, but still not really worth it.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

Between theaters we'll get to talk to a bunch of suppliers, I think, but just between missions we get whatever special event Yooper cooks up.

Correct. The main suppliers will be happy to talk shop, prices, etc, but no deliveries in theater.

I'm not going to make a scenario that requires us to fly against an unstoppable, undetectable, unkillable dragon.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
I was once on board with buying the commie stuff but knowing the Ukraine we will be better off burning our money to keep warm in the upcoming nuclear winter instead. :v:
so NO

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Well the difficulty curve on this campaign ramped right the hell up, didn't it? I feel like our best shot is to bumrush Lhasa with everything we've got to end the conflict before we start having everything we own swatted out of the air by ghost planes.

As for the museum pieces: if they were available to join in a Lhasa strike, maybe. Weight of numbers would be good, but if the lead time is the same as the last order then no, I suspect they'll be pretty useless assets going forward.

Yooper posted:

I'm not going to make a scenario that requires us to fly against an unstoppable, undetectable, unkillable dragon.

That's what they all say :colbert:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Good job on the mission Yooper. It looked like a lot to juggle. I am sure you'll figure out next time about the...erm.. odd flying in the Bay (I think I saw Terrain Following was on at some point), but it does mean we got guns kills, which let's face it, are pretty much Max Profit to the Max.

You've already replied about hard/soft target differentiation.

As for fighting a stealth jet, this could be fun. I think stay within the bounds of higher power ground based radar wherever possible, be ready to book it, try to drag the stealth jet into our territory, try to run it out of fuel again or whatever if we catch sight of it.

It's certainly a risk to us, but if we manage to shoot one down, it's a massive risk to the Chinese too. Whichever commander is in charge may lose his stomach for flying them if his political masters put the heat on him about losing their rarest, most expensive, most highly trained jet/pilot package.

I think we should ask the Indians about a leave date (or read our contract if it has one). We aren't going to win against the entire PLAAF and if they swing the Navy into the bay, we start to look real trapped real fast

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I'd also prefer if we weighted our arms procurement efforts towards stuff you don't see that much like Mirages or something just for the coolness factor. We could be the terrorist guy from Die Hard: the PMC.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 9, 2017

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Quinntan posted:

The AGM-22 is the SS.11, a MCLOS (manually commanded line of sight) (!) missile with a wire going from the missile to the launch aircraft. The pilot (or backseater, I would hope, in the Magister) has to manually guide the missile to the target while also flying the aircraft, he's basically flying two things at once. Trying to aim a missile like that while stationary is hard enough as is, but trying to do it from an aircraft while maneuvering to avoid ground fire... how are you going to hit anything like that?

It did get a SACLOS upgrade. I have a soft spot for Magisters, and the anti-shipping variant could be nice and cheaper than our current AShMs if we... yeah ok I just have a soft spot for em!

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Worst comes to the worst, we haul rear end to Afghanistan and become warlords.

simplefish posted:

It did get a SACLOS upgrade. I have a soft spot for Magisters, and the anti-shipping variant could be nice and cheaper than our current AShMs if we... yeah ok I just have a soft spot for em!

I love the Magister too, they were the pride of my country's air force until like 1998 or so. Now we only have PC-9s and it's just not the same.

Quinntan fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 9, 2017

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

aphid_licker posted:

I'd also prefer if we weighted our arms procurement efforts towards stuff you don't see that much like Mirages or something just for the coolness factor. We could be the terrorist guy from Die Hard: the PMC.

Agreed on the French jets. I hope we can get some of the attack focused Mirage variants. 2000D maybe?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Wait, Jack's in Canada. Reckon he can find out where they stashed the Avro Arrow? We can use it for *trails off mumbling*

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

aphid_licker posted:

Who said anything about terrorists?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Yeah, that guy was just taking a job to earn some holiday moonlighting cash to buy his kids half-decent Christmas presents

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Vando posted:

Wait, Jack's in Canada. Reckon he can find out where they stashed the Avro Arrow? We can use it for *trails off mumbling*

Knowing our luck and his luck, he's probably high on fermented maple syrup buying CF-101s and CF-104s.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

"Hello, yes, Talent Agency? I'm looking for the most generic eurotrash terrorist you guys got. Oh? You've got the perfect guy? Great!"

Stealth Chat

Good read on Stealth detection here : http://www.harpoonhq.com/waypoint/articles/Article_022.pdf

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

yes to the museum deal, more planes is better than less planes, obviously

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Phi230 posted:

Who said anything about terrorists?

Bond villain, whatever you wanna call it. I just want the uniform to include a turtleneck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I vote no to the Museum deal. We already have garbage-can museum pieces, we bought those loving Phantoms.

Save the money so we can get some proper 'murrican equipment once we get out of theater.