Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder if they're ever going to have a persona where you aren't the new kid, but the dude or dudette that was just in the background that no one noticed until interesting new transfer student started to be your buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

precision posted:

Morgana's drink appears to just be 7-Up

There is actually a list of ingredients at the bottom of some of them. The names listed are the persona names, not the characters.

Arsene: "Strawberry Cola": Cola, Strawberry Syrup, Whipped Cream, Wafer
Captain Kidd: "Passion Blue": Passion Syrup, Blue Soda, Chocolate, Cherry
Carmen: "Roseberry": Rose Syrup, Peach Syrup, Cranberry Juice, Something really long in kanji, Heart shaped chocolate
Zorro: "Smart Mohito": Mojito Syrup, Lime Juice, Soda, Wafer

Also, this game is really confusing me. You can just ignore your job when you want to, but you have to return DVDs? What determines whether or not you get to read on the train? Why am I being asked to hang out on a Friday when it's school?

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I hated dungeon 4 and found it's boss stupid and boring.

But maybe it's just because I can't stand desert levels as they bore me to tears no matter how you try to spice it up. Least the story was better then 3

Same here. I literally rage-quit last night after having to restart an almost 20mins stretch for the 3rd time due to jumping up to a level only to find an enemy that wasn't showing in radar right in front of you.

edit: also those mobs with pretty instakill aoe and no weakness on hard :(

Pigbottom fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 9, 2017

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Crabtree posted:

I wonder if they're ever going to have a persona where you aren't the new kid, but the dude or dudette that was just in the background that no one noticed until interesting new transfer student started to be your buddy.

It's a shame we never saw that scene in 4 where Yosuke somehow convinces his parents to let this mysterious bear boy sleep in his closet for the better part of a year.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Pigbottom posted:

Same here. I literally rage-quit last night after having to restart an almost 20mins stretch for the 3rd time due to jumping up to a level only to find an enemy that wasn't showing in radar right in front of you.

The thing where you attack an enemy near another enemy is super wonky. Sometimes you just get a second round of normal combat, which is OK. Sometimes you go back to the world, the other enemy spawns behind you and smacks you for a first strike and then Mudos your entire party

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheLoser posted:

It's a shame we never saw that scene in 4 where Yosuke somehow convinces his parents to let this mysterious bear boy sleep in his closet for the better part of a year.

Yosuke's parents are secretly not remotely surprised that he has a pretty young boy sleeping in his room.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

How is the ENG VA? I checked out the promo from atlus a few months ago but I realized I'm missing battle quotes by playing with JPN VA. Also I like Igor's new VA compared to the original.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jesus Christ these Night Chimera, ran into a group of 2 with a Jack Frost got hit by nothing but party wide attack spells leaving only Joker alive, bad time to find out running away isn't instant.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Stupid sexy maid-sensei :(

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

gently caress just realized I lost my treasure demon with that game over.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

hey this has probably totally been answered but this game isn't going to yell at me if I date multiple girls, right

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

hey this has probably totally been answered but this game isn't going to yell at me if I date multiple girls, right

Oh yes it will.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

it is going to own you brutally but there aren't any actual gameplay consequences

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
there's nothing different about safety other than not being able to turn it off, right? I'm wouldn't lock myself out of anything? I mostly just want the XP increase and to kinda sleepwalk through palaces because I feel like I'm always skating by on the seat of my pants because everything costs so much and I'm one-day'ing palaces.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Alder posted:

How is the ENG VA? I checked out the promo from atlus a few months ago but I realized I'm missing battle quotes by playing with JPN VA. Also I like Igor's new VA compared to the original.

I am enjoying it and have actually been refraining from buttoning through the fully-voiced scenes. It kind of helps to hear them wrestle with some of the awkward translation stuff. Also the warden VA, I know some people hate them but I find it hilarious and enjoy the Velvet Room stuff because of it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So, I heard that the first dungeon is by far the best of them. Does that mean the game's on a downhill slope after that point? That'd be disappointing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The first storyline is one of the better ones, but the dungeon itself is not the best. I'd say the fourth and sixth dungeons are some of the best ones in the game and the storyline that goes with those two are also very good. Just because the game starts off strong doesn't mean it dies a death after that it just means the opening is VERY strong. The sixth dungeon also has the best dungeon music in the game and I would post it if it weren't for the fact the kind of music it is gives away what the dungeon is.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Pollyanna posted:

So, I heard that the first dungeon is by far the best of them. Does that mean the game's on a downhill slope after that point? That'd be disappointing.

I'm in the middle of the 4th dungeon and so far, yes, it's has been getting considerably worse with each dungeon. I hope they get better from now on. The game is still great, but I now can't wait to be done with the dungeons instead of enjoying it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The 2nd and 3rd dungeons are weaker than the first but I still think they're better than anything in P3/P4 on a gameplay level. They're just not as good.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I think the primary issue is that the story and dungeon surrounding the first antagonist in the game almost immediately goes into rampant physical and sexual abuse of minors he has authority over and that is a hell of a thing to lead with. I thought it was pulled off very well, frankly, but after a first chapter where the antagonist drives a girl he abuses to attempted suicide, which you witness pretty much anything that follows up was going to fall short. The second antagonist is also a proper bastard and was pretty well fleshed out in his bastardy by the time you actually fight him but art plagiarist and murderer-through-inaction is not going to land as hard, emotionally, as high school rapist.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Basically the 1st dungeon is your fast and loose intro into the world of P5. The middle is recruiting and mingling with your new party, then the story speeds super fast once Haru joins the party.

If you hate the party cast, you will hate the middle.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

As a first time Persona player, this game sure does like it's insta-death attacks, huh? Only in the first dungeon and they aren't shy about them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ambush or die, it's the Phantom Thieves' way

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ambush or die, it's the Phantom Thieves' way

Definitely using stealth every opportunity. I've already learned that getting into fights without ambush is definitely against my best interests. Just that with particular enemies such as the those Flying Knights or the super mounted knight (the one presumably holding the trap deactivating item) I managed to just get 1 hit K/O from either that light orb thing, or by a Double Fang straight to the protag.. Definitely not a downside though, honestly. It kinda feels cheap, but this game already has some teeth so I can dig it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

MegaTen's pretty fond of feast-or-famine battle dynamics, though your options will open up and make things easier as you go.

e: Game over on MC death is a bit of a headscratcher after mainline dropped it though.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

*crawls out of palace*

I did it... I stuck to the schedule. At the cost of loving everything.

God this pace is brutal.

I love it.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Kalsco posted:

As a first time Persona player, this game sure does like it's insta-death attacks, huh? Only in the first dungeon and they aren't shy about them.

It's SMT tradition to get your rear end folded nine times by an unlucky string of WEAK hits and criticals.
You need to diversify Persona weaknesses, while hoping fortune smiles upon you.

Holy poo poo dungeon 5 is a slog.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I didn't die to anything in the first 15 hours then in the third dungeon I messed up an ambush on a group of enemies and they used ohko moves to destroy everyone but my main guy then overwhelmed him with regular attacks. Fortunately I only lost like 15-20 minutes of work, but still that was pretty hosed.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
The maid stuff is hilarious. Every time I see an IM from her I hear Bill Burr screaming GOLD DIGGIN' WHHOAAHS.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The main reason I am grinding Guts is to unlock that S-Link and to buy a real gun. Being Gutsy sounds real cool.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Arist posted:

As a follow-up question to this, does this game give me the option to advance a girl's S.Link as just friends and not on a dating level like P4 does

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
If you don't wanna ruffle your fingers through Kawakami's hair you just ain't a human

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Motto posted:

MegaTen's pretty fond of feast-or-famine battle dynamics, though your options will open up and make things easier as you go.

e: Game over on MC death is a bit of a headscratcher after mainline dropped it though.

It's actually even more ridiculous, since in mainline they're your demons, and have no reason to stick around if you die. While in Persona, they're all your friends, and can't revive you because reasons.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Meow?
I hate the cops.
Time to button mash.

This game has some good rear end dialogue choices.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

As a follow-up question to this, does this game give me the option to advance a girl's S.Link as just friends and not on a dating level like P4 does

Yes, it does.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Specifically, the Friend-or-Date option comes up in earlier ranks, usually rank 9. You get different scenes as a friend and lover at rank 10 I.E. A Lover will have a scene in the attic while a Friend will be in the cafe downstairs.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, it does.

Nice, then I'll save the dating for Futaba and hang out with friends that are girls with no worries

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Which of the love interests is most likely to support a program of anarchist anticapitalism

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm in the third palace, and the only damage type I'm missing is Bless. I can't see any option to get some with the Personas I have, but I could probably summon an old one. Does anyone know the easiest way to get a Persona with either the single target or AoE bless skills?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Which of the love interests is most likely to support a program of anarchist anticapitalism

All of them.