Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
My #1 was Nara, the deer, and the giant Buddha. Nara is a really charming place, walkable, and if I'd had it to do over I'd have spent a night there.

Kyoto had great historic sights (better than Tokyo), the Imperial Palace was great, but gently caress if all of Kyoto isn't overrun with tourists.

I really liked Tokyo (I'm a big city guy), my favorite thing about Tokyo was that there are a lot of options to walk around with 2,000 yen in your pocket buying food various places 300 or 500 yen at a time until you're full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

What's the scoop on buying third-party (reseller) concert tickets in Japan? Looking to get three tickets to a show that appears to be sold out, but I would love to go if I can make it. Are there reliable third-party sellers a la StubHub (heh) for Japan? Tsutaya O-East is the venue, if that matters.

I checked out Yahoo auctions but it was only a couple single tickets, while I was hoping to buy multiples at once. Plus I won't really have a shipping address there to pick up, and electronic tickets would be ideal.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
Hi, I have another 2 week work trip to japan and will be taking another 2 weeks off for vacation.

I'll be in Tokyo 10-16 Apr, Sasebo/Nagasaki 16-28 Apr, then Fukuoka 29 Apr - 7 May if anybody wants to come out drinking! I swear I'm not goony at all either!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
everyone always rolls through fukuoka when i am not there :sigh:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yahoo Auctions is the main site and it's not easy to use from outside Japan. Does the concert have both advanced tickets 前売券 and same-day tickets 当日券?

sarujin_nz
May 1, 2006

Anyway thanks to everyone who gave me some ideas a few weeks ago on where to stay. Ended up just outside Ginza and have had a great week.
Seen the sights after work has finished and currently am enjoying a beer in the Tokyo Skytree before my flight in a few hours.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

peanut posted:

Yahoo Auctions is the main site and it's not easy to use from outside Japan. Does the concert have both advanced tickets 前売券 and same-day tickets 当日券?

Thanks for the reply!

Based on the site (http://shop.beatink.com/shopdetail/000000002131/027/003/X/page1/recommend/) it looks like they're sold out of advanced tickets, but i didn't notice either of those character sets specifically. Is there a good chance that there will be same-day tickets, generally speaking? I'll be staying in Tokyo quite close to the venue, so I was going to check in person regardless, but it would reassuring if same-day tickets are a thing.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Are there any good resources on comparing TESOL work in Japan versus Taiwan you'd all recommend? I've posted about this in the other thread as well, just wondering about viewpoints specific to Japan.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It really depends on the concert. Idol/visual kei stuff can sell out just from private fan club-exclusive lottery sales.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I'll be traveling to Kyoto and Nara during golden week as that is when my friend is coming to Japan to visit me. I'll be traveling from Akita to Tokyo first of course, and I am wondering if it might be best to buy a ticket on the Shinkansen for my trip to Tokyo and our trip on the 1st of may to Kyoto. Is it possible to do so through a webpage? Internet is too slow for googling here but for some reason SA works just fine :shrug:

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

The Great Autismo! posted:

everyone always rolls through fukuoka when i am not there :sigh:

Well I'll be in sasebo/Nagasaki so if you're going to be around I can take the train up there over the weekend probably. Better than chilling with a bunch of jarheads

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Stalins Moustache posted:

I'll be traveling to Kyoto and Nara during golden week as that is when my friend is coming to Japan to visit me. I'll be traveling from Akita to Tokyo first of course, and I am wondering if it might be best to buy a ticket on the Shinkansen for my trip to Tokyo and our trip on the 1st of may to Kyoto. Is it possible to do so through a webpage? Internet is too slow for googling here but for some reason SA works just fine :shrug:

More importantly, how are things at AIU these days? I studied abroad there for the 2006-7 year. Are you enjoying living in a dorm with 18-year-olds, despite being in your 20's? Do the Japanese students still have their parents call the school to complain about loud foreigners in the dorms? Are the Swedish students still super gay?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JacksLibido posted:

Well I'll be in sasebo/Nagasaki so if you're going to be around I can take the train up there over the weekend probably. Better than chilling with a bunch of jarheads

I don't think I'll be back until summer, enjoy your time in Japan!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You don't can't and shouldn't bother buying train tickets online in advance. Only a JR Pass needs to be bought in advance. Regular fare tickets can be bought at any JR Station.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I agree it's sort of a hassle (even if you can read Japanese), but I wouldn't say you can't book online in advance: https://www.eki-net.com/pc/personal/yoyaku/wb/Common/ReserveTop/ReserveTop.aspx?src=ekinettop_f

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

jooky posted:

What's the scoop on buying third-party (reseller) concert tickets in Japan? Looking to get three tickets to a show that appears to be sold out, but I would love to go if I can make it. Are there reliable third-party sellers a la StubHub (heh) for Japan? Tsutaya O-East is the venue, if that matters.

I checked out Yahoo auctions but it was only a couple single tickets, while I was hoping to buy multiples at once. Plus I won't really have a shipping address there to pick up, and electronic tickets would be ideal.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Although I'm unsure how common this is, be aware that some concerts will actually check the name on the ticket with some sort of photo ID to discourage scalping and won't let you in if the name differs. Not sure if there's even a way to research whether or not they'll do this, but be aware that the risk is there.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Original_Z posted:

Although I'm unsure how common this is, be aware that some concerts will actually check the name on the ticket with some sort of photo ID to discourage scalping and won't let you in if the name differs. Not sure if there's even a way to research whether or not they'll do this, but be aware that the risk is there.
In this case, you could always play the "stupid foreigner" card and just say you asked a local to book for you since you weren't going to be in the country when tickets can be on sale.

Haven't had to do that myself but I've heard of people who live and work in Japan getting away with that kind of stuff.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I got ghibli museum tickers now I feel like a rockstar.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Question Mark Mound posted:

In this case, you could always play the "stupid foreigner" card and just say you asked a local to book for you since you weren't going to be in the country when tickets can be on sale.

Haven't had to do that myself but I've heard of people who live and work in Japan getting away with that kind of stuff.

Was in line for a club one night and a Japanese guy in line told us that if we just go and tell them that we were told we didn't have to wait in line because we were foreigners they'd let us in. I'm like "what?" and he insisted. So we walked up and said "hey, guy over there said we didn't need to wait in line since we are foreigners or something" and they asked who and I just said "I dunno, some guy over there" and pointed and dude was like whatever and put us ahead of the line.

Dumb gaijin works quite well sometimes.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
What's dental care in Japan like? I'm currently living in Tokyo and have a tooth that's pretty bad. It'll likely need at least a crown, maybe a root canal too. I'm going back to the states in a month for two weeks; should I get rushed treatment in the US, or would it be okay to have it done in Japan? I speak Japanese so I don't need to worry about finding an English-speaking dentist.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
It's fine, go to the dentist. Here's a good one in Harajuku if you're around there: http://www.harajuku1st.com/english/index.html

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It will be hella cheaper in Japan than to do it in the US without insurance. Be warned, a root canal takes 2-3 visits so get started asap or expect to spend your whole trip home chewing on one side so you don't knock the little temporary cap off.

You can go to a Fancy Dentist but a Nearby and Convenient Dentist that's easy to get an appointment with is good too. Root canal is "remove the nerve" しんけいをとる

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hi, why is it so hard to get from Shikoku to Taipei for a cheap price unless I go through Tokyo but even then trying to get a connection via Haneda is a pain in the butt and good luck trying to do it via Kansai/Itami.

Anyway, I think I'm going to end up staying one night in Naha since for some reason there is an ANA flight that goes there.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ntan1 posted:

Hi, why is it so hard to get from Shikoku to Taipei for a cheap price unless I go through Tokyo but even then trying to get a connection via Haneda is a pain in the butt and good luck trying to do it via Kansai/Itami.

Anyway, I think I'm going to end up staying one night in Naha since for some reason there is an ANA flight that goes there.

There are some cheap flights from KIX to Kaohsiung as I recall, then it's just a relatively short train to Taipei; give that a check too.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
It's a little more than I'd like, since getting to KIX from Shikoku requires 3 hours by bus or by train or by ferry or a transfer from Itami, then Kaohsiung to Taipei is 2 hours.

Honestly, I'm not opposed to spending a day in Naha, since surprisingly I've never been there, and it's on the way.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

There are direct flights Takamatsu - Taipei but it's not LCC prices. You can save money or time but not both.

Check Matsuyama - Fukuoka - Taipei too. Where in Shikoku are you starting from?

peanut fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 14, 2017

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
starting at Matsuyama and ending at Takamatsu. I tried reversing the order to connect in Fukuoka from Matsuyama, but the timing didn't really work for me for hitting some whirlpools around Naruto.

The direct flight from Takamatsu to Taipei is on China Airlines, which gets super expensive if you try to book a one way. The only real plan that works for me on China Airlines is to take an outbound flight from Taipei to Kagoshima, but that would necessitate me paying an extra 12,000 yen as a one way car rental fee in Kyushu. The China Airlines flights from Fukuoka to Taipei are either too early in the morning or in the afternoon for a connection in Taipei.

So right now I'm looking at an Eva flight TPE -> FUK that departs at 8AM and arrives at 11AM. The return departs at 12:30 from FUK, but only Matsuyama and Kochi have flights that can make the return (and Kochi is kinda tight).

So my current full plan is:

SFO->TPE->FUK on EVA
8 days in Kyushu
FUK -> MYJ on JAL
5-6 days in Shikoku
TAK -> OKA on ANA
1 day in Naha
OKA -> TPE on EVA
3 days in Taipei
TPE -> SFO on EVA

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just avoid Taiwan and shikoku altogether. Traveling around shikoku sucks without a car

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I'm gonna rent a car and I really wanna go to Shikoku cause its one of the areas I haven't been to yet.

Also my family is in Taiwan and for some reason tickets to Tokyo from SFO are hilariously expensive.

Also I managed to get a trans pacific biz class ticket on EVA using points.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Meet them halfway in Shanghai :downsrim:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Has anyone been to Hashima (Gunkanjima / Battleship Island) and can vouch as to whether it's worth the hassle? Factoring in transport (flights from Osaka or a super long train) it's pretty much a whole day trip to get there.

I figure if I'm looking into that, I may as well find some more stuff to do in Nagasaki to justify the journal - what's cool in that area?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Yes, it's worth it if you are in Nagasaki.

If i's the only reason you are in in Nagasaki, then it's not worth going to Nagasaki for.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

If you were going to stay in a 5-star hotel in Tokyo for one night, which one would it be and why? Bonus points for the best 2-star hotel to crash in the next night after drinks.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

poisonpill posted:

If you were going to stay in a 5-star hotel in Tokyo for one night, which one would it be and why? Bonus points for the best 2-star hotel to crash in the next night after drinks.

Oh money no object? Aman Tokyo. It's oligarch levels of luxury.

Or there's the mother loving peninsula Tokyo.

Alternative option is the Ritz Carlton in roppongi and there's a bajillion number of places to go

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I was thinking of the Ritz with all the cool things to do nearby and the nice view, but....Wow, the Aman Tokyo looks amazing.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Jeez I've never heard of that place but I gotta spend a night or two there next time I'm in Japan. Good tip

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Bloodnose posted:

Jeez I've never heard of that place but I gotta spend a night or two there next time I'm in Japan. Good tip

You are getting me an extra bed

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
We did the Park Hyatt followed by the Hyatt Regency, both on credit card points. Thanks Chase bank!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
My experience is that 5 star hotels in Tokyo are not that worth it, since they are significantly more expensive than the 5 star hotels in other major countries with minor faults here or there in service due to being Tokyo.

I've stayed at 5-star ryokan's and resorts outside of Tokyo, and those are always universally better. Especially because the main attraction there is actually the place you are staying itself, whereas the main attraction of Tokyo is going out and seeing the city.

If you are thinking at the level Aman, then consider Amanemu instead., also in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

ntan1 posted:

My experience is that 5 star hotels in Tokyo are not that worth it, since they are significantly more expensive than the 5 star hotels in other major countries with minor faults here or there in service due to being Tokyo.

So would you recommend just a standard hotel in Tokyo, based on location more than anything else?