Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

ThePeavstenator posted:

Paradoxical Outcome was able to shake up Vintage so there's definitely metagame shifts when the appropriate cards get added to the format.

And the people who play those formats will bitch incessantly every time any card makes it in.

While still boasting about the most diverse format!

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

SoftNum posted:

And the people who play those formats will bitch incessantly every time any card makes it in.

....examples?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I suppose he's talking about Mentor aka the best deck in the format by far? There aren't any other recent cards that people really complain about.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Sickening posted:

So is it just the lack of players or is it another reason there is so little brewing in legacy?

The format changes a lot. For instance the new BUG build is different. Eldrazi is a thing that exists now.

Delver variants have died, as has omnitell a little.

Cards that have come in over the past few years

LotV
DRS
Abrupt Decay
RiP
Grizelbrand
Terminus
Entreat
TNN
Leopold
Snapcaster
Delver
Thalia
Cavern
Lingering souls
Graffdiggers

Basically anything from RtR or Innistrad, everything else sucks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
MM17 owns, I wish I was better at drafting because I want an excuse to crack those packs but I don't want to pay $30 to go 0-3/1-2 every time.

UberJew posted:

imo the most disgusting thing about that deck is that mishra's bauble is a card that does as close to nothing as any card possibly can and should be a ten cent common like bone saw

but since there aren't core sets anymore they can't just print it in one so instead it'll be a rare in a masters set b/c can't print any card with mishra's in the title on another plane!

I don't think core sets are coming back while Masters sets exist, especially since Wizards can sell those packs for over 2x what regular expansion boosters cost. Masterpieces too, albeit to a lesser extent.

I think if the Masters sets continue trending in the direction that they are, it'll be worth it. I do miss core sets because like you said for a long time they were the easiest, perhaps only, way to reprint cards that referenced specific settings.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The format changes a lot. For instance the new BUG build is different. Eldrazi is a thing that exists now.

Delver variants have died, as has omnitell a little.

Cards that have come in over the past few years

LotV
DRS
Abrupt Decay
RiP
Grizelbrand
Terminus
Entreat
TNN
Leopold
Snapcaster
Delver
Thalia
Cavern
Lingering souls
Graffdiggers

Basically anything from RtR or Innistrad, everything else sucks.

Monastery Mentor, Swiftspear, Fatal Push, Tasigur, Gurmag Angler, JVP, Tireless Tracker, Thought Knot Seer, Reality Smasher, Sanctum Prelate, Recruiter of the Guard, Palace Jailer, Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, Council's Judgement, Scavenging Ooze, Baleful Strix, Shardless Agent, Warping Wail, Kolaghan's Command, Walking Balista, I'm probably missing stuff but you get the point. There are tons of new cards added to Legacy all the time.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Terminus needs to get removed though :D

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SoftNum posted:

That's just suicidesteve

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

I suppose he's talking about Mentor aka the best deck in the format by far? There aren't any other recent cards that people really complain about.

The problem with Mentor is Gush, which isn't exactly a new card. I haven't heard anyone complain about Walking Ballista except for the idiots on Twitch chat who cry every time Shops wins a match. Paradoxical Outcome is legitimately format warping and there's a non-zero chance it'll need to be restricted if Mentor gets nerfed. Mentor only has a favorable matchup because it's been main-decking Stony Silences. Same for Shops.

The last new legacy cards people complained about were like, Cruise and Dig. And nobody can argue that they didn't completely warp the format. Or they can but they'll be wrong. I complain about Leovold because he's everything I hate about this game but it's not like he needs to be banned right now or anything.

Sigma-X posted:

Terminus needs to get removed though :D

Agreed. Play a 4 mana Wrath like everyone else.

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's just suicidesteve

I'm still waiting for an actual example that's wasn't completely format warping.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Did Jim Davis just tell a story about his opponent taking too long during turns against him in his deck tech?

If so :laffo:

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

SoftNum posted:

I'm still bitter about Tarmogoyf

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

C-Euro posted:

I do miss core sets because like you said for a long time they were the easiest, perhaps only, way to reprint cards that referenced specific settings.

I thought they changed the setting of the core sets to Shandalar.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Sixfools posted:

I thought they changed the setting of the core sets to Shandalar.

A lot of the cards that were newly printed for core sets were from Shandalar but they still also had reprints from all over like Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Elyv posted:

there is a miracles player in thunderdome

when I played him the match took about 2 hours, but on the other hand it was a very good match

I'm actually usually way up on time on people on xmage in timed matches because I use the skip to end step key consistently. I'm also usually way up on time on MTGO and pretty much never draw in paper, though, so maybe I'm just faster than the average Miracles player?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
One thing I miss about core sets is that it allowed them to do more generic fantasy designs. Now everything has to be tied to the specific plane they're visiting. Commander products still let them do it so we occasionally get a flesh carver or ophiomancer but it's less common now. Those type of designs remind me of early magic.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Rogue0071 posted:

I'm actually usually way up on time on people on xmage in timed matches because I use the skip to end step key consistently. I'm also usually way up on time on MTGO and pretty much never draw in paper, though, so maybe I'm just faster than the average Miracles player?

Most miracles players are fine. Bad miracles players are the problem.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Pontius Pilate posted:

One thing I miss about core sets is that it allowed them to do more generic fantasy designs. Now everything has to be tied to the specific plane they're visiting. Commander products still let them do it so we occasionally get a flesh carver or ophiomancer but it's less common now. Those type of designs remind me of early magic.

Return to Shandalar

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Got a spicy one for modern today;

Get Hardifacts
3 Memnite
3 Ornithopter
4 Arcbound Worker
4 Hangarback Walker
4 Walking Ballista
4 Arcbound Ravager
4 Winding Constrictor
3 Steel Overseer

4 Hardened Scales
3 Springleaf Drum
3 Mox Opal
2 Cranial Plating

1 Llanowar Reborn
1 Ruins of Oran Rief
4 Inkmoth Nexus
4 Spire of Industry
4 Blooming Marsh
4 Darksteel Citadel
1 Forest

Sideboard
2 Natural State
2 Abrupt Decay
4 Fatal Push
1 Steel Overseer
4 Thoughtsieze
2 Scrap Trawler

An evolution of one of the ones I posted before, it's actually really sick. I'm like 22-5 with it on XMage, because MODO is a tool of bourgeois oppression, but actually playing tier-decks. I've beaten both varieties of Eldrazi, opposing Affinity, Death's Shadow, Grixis, Burn... it actually has game without Snake or Scales, definitely recommend giving it a try

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Sampatrick posted:

Monastery Mentor, Swiftspear, Fatal Push, Tasigur, Gurmag Angler, JVP, Tireless Tracker, Thought Knot Seer, Reality Smasher, Sanctum Prelate, Recruiter of the Guard, Palace Jailer, Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, Council's Judgement, Scavenging Ooze, Baleful Strix, Shardless Agent, Warping Wail, Kolaghan's Command, Walking Balista, I'm probably missing stuff but you get the point. There are tons of new cards added to Legacy all the time.

Yeah I'm not arguing against that. It's the only format I play really

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

sit on my Facebook posted:

Got a spicy one for modern today;

Get Hardifacts
3 Memnite
3 Ornithopter
4 Arcbound Worker
4 Hangarback Walker
4 Walking Ballista
4 Arcbound Ravager
4 Winding Constrictor
3 Steel Overseer

4 Hardened Scales
3 Springleaf Drum
3 Mox Opal
2 Cranial Plating

1 Llanowar Reborn
1 Ruins of Oran Rief
4 Inkmoth Nexus
4 Spire of Industry
4 Blooming Marsh
4 Darksteel Citadel
1 Forest

Sideboard
2 Natural State
2 Abrupt Decay
4 Fatal Push
1 Steel Overseer
4 Thoughtsieze
2 Scrap Trawler

An evolution of one of the ones I posted before, it's actually really sick. I'm like 22-5 with it on XMage, because MODO is a tool of bourgeois oppression, but actually playing tier-decks. I've beaten both varieties of Eldrazi, opposing Affinity, Death's Shadow, Grixis, Burn... it actually has game without Snake or Scales, definitely recommend giving it a try

I like this. May give it a run on modo.

Why only three opals?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

mossyfisk posted:

What blocks actually had their draft formats improved by the small sets?

I'm beginning to think they should just do three big sets a year instead of blocks.

There's plenty of examples of second sets improving draft formats, including the 3 most recent blocks. Third sets have a much worse record, Theros is arguably the only block where the 3rd set saved the limited format rather than ruining it.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Theros at least gets some credit for being the set where draw smoothing and flood insurance become pretty standard in limited.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Alaan posted:

Theros at least gets some credit for being the set where draw smoothing and flood insurance become pretty standard in limited.

they still haven't fully learned this lesson though since Kaladesh had way too little of either. i know that they were trying to highlight energy which takes the place of mana sinks but the end result was that you had no way to come back from drawing excess lands in most games

luckily Amonkhet looks like it's on the Theros end of things with cycling and two flashback variants

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 9, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i'm here for the opinions on legacy from people that don't play legacy

do we have any of those in here

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Games of paper Legacy are hard to find IRL, and it's an expensive format. There's my hot take from somebody who owns one Legacy deck and has never gotten to play it in person.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The only reason Legacy is "diverse" is because there hasn't been a pro level format and no good players have been motivated to break it.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

i want to get a bunch of fakes to play legacy irl but i'm worried people will wonder why i just showed up with a bunch of duals or a tabernacle or whatever

75% sure most of them play with fakes already because it's gotten really popular suddenly but i don't want to straight up ask them

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 9, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Gush would be safe to unban.

anglachel posted:

Games of paper Legacy are hard to find IRL, and it's an expensive format. There's my hot take from somebody who owns one Legacy deck and has never gotten to play it in person.

Wow this take is so hot you could cook a pizza on it!

I haven't played sanctioned Magic in like, a month, and it's because legacy is dying where I live. If either of my legacy playing friends are busy I don't even bother going because it's so much less likely to fire when we're down 2 people. The store owner is 100% positive it's because everyone is mad that EMA tanked some cards that it barely even touched and not because our $150 duals are now $300 and nobody can afford them so nobody replaces the people we naturally lose over time to their cards having tripled in price since they bought them. But he still refuses to allow proxies so those of us who gave him $several thousand for these cards can actually play with them. So vintage is completely dead and legacy is ~50% to fire every Friday.

little munchkin posted:

i want to get a bunch of fakes to play legacy irl but i'm worried people will wonder why i just showed up with a bunch of duals or a tabernacle or whatever

75% sure most of them play with fakes already but i don't want to straight up ask them

You bought a collection on Craigslist and hit the jackpot. Nobody is going to give you crap at FNM.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The only reason legacy ever took off is because cube hadn't been invented yet

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

They should unban Treasure Cruise.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Attorney at Funk posted:

They should unban Treasure Cruise.

Unironically they should unban Dig Through Time. Sure, it'll ruin the format but I'll be able to play RUG Delver.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the period of months where you could play more ancestral recalls in legacy then vintage were good and wonderful and also the only time the format was good

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

the period of months where you could play more ancestral recalls in legacy then vintage were good and wonderful and also the only time the format was good

Cruise was banned in Legacy and restricted in Vintage at the same time, so you could play 4 in Legacy but 5 in Vintage :eng101:

suicidesteve posted:

Unironically they should unban Dig Through Time. Sure, it'll ruin the format but I'll be able to play RUG Delver.

I liked U/R Cruise Delver in Modern because it was a really affordable Tier 1 deck :kiddo:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Attorney at Funk posted:

I liked U/R Cruise Delver in Modern because it was a really affordable Tier 1 deck :kiddo:

I liked it because I had a high 90% win rate against it with RW Soul Sisters and bought into legacy online just playing that deck. You know it's a good match-up when they resolve 5 Treasure Cruises and still lose.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

anglachel posted:

I play legacy in a 20 person tournament p much every week or so, it depends on where you are.

The format is fun as hell and honestly if the cards were cheaper it would be the most popular format in magic. Like miracles is a gently caress, but it's getting beat down by new leovold decks, so maybe the wheel is spinning (it isn't, ban CB)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I'm building a Legacy deck! But it's a cheapo Reanimator variant (cheaper than BR) and I don't know where to play Legacy around here :( I wish I could

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I used to play Legacy every Wednesday in Laramie and knew of a few places in Denver I could play Legacy weekly. Then I had to sell my whole stack of cards.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

Cruise was banned in Legacy and restricted in Vintage at the same time, so you could play 4 in Legacy but 5 in Vintage :eng101:

take your "facts' and "basic truths" and keep them away from me!!!!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

cycling is very cool and fun, i missed it a lot. its fun playing with the cycling basics in pauper and street wraith tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
more people would play legacy if they realized their standard and modern decks were legacy legal. problem solved.

one time I played "legacy" and t2 I played a deadly recluse and the guy looked at me like I just murdered his entire family

• Locked thread