Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

This is a good post and I hope that whenever Stroll crashes into someone the other driver will be said to have paid the Stroll toll

He actually had a pretty good argument when people were asking him WHY when he left Ferrari. He was like "I'm aiming for the WDC. If a Ferrari wins the WDC next year then I was wrong to leave. If they don't then I was right." I wouldn't think coming || that close for years in a row is more satisfying than not coming close. Look what it did to Our Nico, it drove him so mad he strategized and trained and outperformed Their Lewis just so he could say he did it once and then leave.

Yeah but now he is driving this McLaren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

GramCracker posted:

Nando could put a Renault factory car on the podium at the rate he's been driving

In 2018 Nando replaces Palmer at Renault and relives 2005 to claim his 3rd Renault WDC. :getin:

(Not as awesome as a glorious return to the Scud and beating Vettel to the title next year, but it'll do).

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I firmly believe Alonso would be in WDC contention if this McLaren had any non-Honda engine. That's kinda why I think he'll stay next year for sure - either Honda's updates work and they prove they're figuring it out, or McLaren switches engines. Either way, I think he's in a good position.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wicka posted:

I firmly believe Alonso would be in WDC contention if this McLaren had any non-Honda engine. That's kinda why I think he'll stay next year for sure - either Honda's updates work and they prove they're figuring it out, or McLaren switches engines. Either way, I think he's in a good position.

But will you toxx on that?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

But will you toxx on that?

Absolutely not. I have already boldly proclaimed that Alonso will finish on the podium this year, that's as far as I'll go.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

wicka posted:

Absolutely not. I have already boldly proclaimed that Alonso will finish on the podium this year, that's as far as I'll go.

Alonso will score no more than 5 points and retire after this season.

No toxx because I'm a wuss

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope Alonso retires and lives happy i dont why but the guy gives me Senna vibes with his latest interviews.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Spaced God posted:

Alonso will score no more than 5 points and retire after this season.

No toxx because I'm a wuss

As long as we're saying poo poo that doesn't mean gently caress all, honda's new engine mid season will actually be good, and mclaren will jump to the top of the pack but it'll be stoffel van waffle leading the way.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

DoctorGonzo posted:

I hope Alonso retires and lives happy i dont why but the guy gives me Senna vibes with his latest interviews.
Except if he died in a race he wouldn't go down in history as a dangerous Brazilian fraud

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

DoctorGonzo posted:

Senna died near his peak though

E: Senna was also, like, good. Alonso is trash.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Spaced God posted:

Yea i dont get the alonso thing. He's kubica good not prost good.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Spaced God posted:

This's gotta be worth a 6hr at least.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Flesh Croissant posted:

Yea i dont get the alonso thing. He's kubica good not prost good.

Alonso has a likable personality, but I can't tell if that's just because he's not a one dimensional piece of poo poo like the rest of the field. But I don't see how he's better than a Sato or someone similar. It also doesn't change the fact he's not a good driver.

If he was in another racing series with actual personalities he'd probably be forgotten.

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 9, 2017

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of Senna its there someone i can read on the crash? The car failed? Senna was hurt before the crash? Something?

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Seven teams made it to the top ten in qually which strikes me as pretty good and bodes well for the midfield fight. Especially since there seem to be some big disparities between teammates this year too. I think this might be Toro Rosso's year just based on the combined competency of sainz and kvyat.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Spaced God posted:

Crashing out of four consecutive races is a peak??

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Spaced God posted:

Alonso has a likable personality, but I can't tell if that's just because he's not a one dimensional piece of poo poo like the rest of the field. But I don't see how he's better than a Sato or someone similar. It also doesn't change the fact he's not a good driver.

If he was in another racing series with actual personalities he'd probably be forgotten.

Look at this post. Look at it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

1500quidporsche posted:

In a car so good that Their Damon nearly beat Schumacher in it

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Carth Dookie posted:

This's gotta be worth a 6hr at least.

Agreed.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

I think with the revised FW16B he would have been world Champion. Also he would have won it '96 and '97 before either retiring or pressuring for a Ferrari drive.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"I have a very negative feeling about driving the car and driving it on the limit and so on. Therefore I didn't have a single run or a single lap that I felt comfortable or reasonably confident. I am uncomfortable in the car. It all feels wrong. We changed the seat and the wheel, but even so I was already asking for more room. Going back to when we raced at Estoril last September (on testing the passive Williams at the same track 4 months later), it feels much more difficult. Some of that is down to the lack of electronic change. Also, the car has its own characteristics which I'm not fully confident in yet. It makes you a lot more tense and that stresses you"

Holy crap Senna didnt like the FW16.

edit: this video is awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjbrFBE4x8A

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

3 and he died on the 3rd one.

Also from some documentaries I saw of the era, Williams was badly affected by the active suspension bans compared to other teams that year and it took them a while to catch up. If he hadn't died in Italy, by the time Williams got their poo poo together, all other things being equal, he'd probably have won the WDC that year. Especially when you consider :

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

In a car so good that Their Damon nearly beat Schumacher in it

Yeah but come on, Schuey got DSQ'd for 2 races and didn't race in 2 others. That's 40 points free to Hill under the old scoring system, and he still lost.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Human Grand Prix posted:

I think with the revised FW16B he would have been world Champion. Also he would have won it '96 and '97 before either retiring or pressuring for a Ferrari drive.

Makes me imagine a not that unreasonable alternate universe where senna won thehill and jacques WDCs and some of the schumi ones.

11X wdc :swoon:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Yes it is. It's a toss up between the Ferrari 355 and the NSX for peak 90's sports car for me, with the NSX possibly edging ahead if only because I might plausibly own one. At least until they achieve proper collector status and the prices go from 5 figures to 6. :smith:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why didnt Senna didnt drive for Ferrari besides death?

Alesi?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

If I had to guess:

Ferrari was kind of meh as a team through most of the 80's and early nineties. It wasn't until Brawn, Todt, Schumacher and Byrne got together that Ferrari became properly successful again. It makes sense when you consider Williams and McLaren's success trajectories through the 80's and early/mid 90s.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Carth Dookie posted:

Yes it is. It's a toss up between the Ferrari 355 and the NSX for peak 90's sports car for me, with the NSX possibly edging ahead if only because I might plausibly own one. At least until they achieve proper collector status and the prices go from 5 figures to 6. :smith:

You can still get early ones for $30k in japan.

I almost sat in one once, and i don't mean i was almost allowed to, i mean i was allowed to and tried.

They are very not big man friendly.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'm 5'7-5'8 ain't a problem for me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Carth Dookie posted:

I'm 5'7-5'8 ain't a problem for me.

Lucky you.

at 6'9, i've got a list of cars i'll never fit in, and a cars i could drive if i took the seat out. The NSX is very much in that first group. I could drive an FD RX-7 from the back seat though!

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

DoctorGonzo posted:

Speaking of Senna its there someone i can read on the crash? The car failed? Senna was hurt before the crash? Something?

He refused to sign for Ferrari and they were essentially under heavy control by the Sicilian Mafia after their attempted expansion into Northern Italy and the Sicilian Don at the time took Senna's refusal as a personal insult so the Sicilians pretty much forced certain Ferrari mechanics to sabotage the Williams overnight before the race with the help of some paid off track officials in Imola. Life sentences for a lot of them that were caught after a long drawn out trial. The early 90s in Italy was pretty hosed up.

Courtney Love killed Kurt Cobain.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

6'2 and the only car I couldn't squeeze into was a BMC Mini, I drove the Scirocco with the full knowledge that I was going to break both my legs in a crash though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

As long as we're saying poo poo that doesn't mean gently caress all, honda's new engine mid season will actually be good, and mclaren will jump to the top of the pack but it'll be stoffel van waffle leading the way.

:chloe:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Is this rivals thing actually an issue or is it a monkey and ladder type situation where one guy didn't like it and it became a rule that everyone enforced and didn't know why, because i would think these days most people have never heard of or been to it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

Is this rivals thing actually an issue or is it a monkey and ladder type situation where one guy didn't like it and it became a rule that everyone enforced and didn't know why, because i would think these days most people have never heard of or been to it.

I almost want to give you him, with a waffle photoshopped as a face avatar as punishment. But you'll have to deal with Chloe!

Real talk: rivals thing, but at least it was amusing (and original, unlike the 9001st time someone goes "poois shamilton").

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nobody even knows what he looks like anyways, so people would wonder if the guy is waffle related.

I'm trying as hard as i can, and cannot picture his face.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

Nobody even knows what he looks like anyways, so people would wonder if the guy is waffle related.

I'm trying as hard as i can, and cannot picture his face.

Maybe he's Lord Waffle Beard :tinfoil:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I think Stroodel Vandoor or any variation of pastry is alright

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

He's the most bland looking dude on the grid.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just google image searched him, i wasn't even close. Burned brain cells for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

He's the most bland looking dude on the grid.

I thought that was Bottas.

• Locked thread