Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm perfectly fine with gundam saying "both sides are bad!!!!" As long as it's making "but zeon is clearly way worse!!!!!!!" Clear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Droyer posted:

Something I was vaguely hoping would happen with s2 early was there being some kinda conflict between the old guard orga-fanatic tekkadan members and the new guys they brought in as the organization got bigger.

pompadour guy was very adamant about them being dumb

he was the only one tho

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Hey let's be fair here

Some meaningless background characters backed him up

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Extremely glad to see the ez8 in that.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

If after all this time Shining isn't playable in this one I'm going to hunt them down.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Artum posted:

If after all this time Shining isn't playable in this one I'm going to hunt them down.

Shining is playable in Maxi Boost On(the current JP arcade version), but there are no G Gundam units slated for Gundam Versus that anyone is aware of right now.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
From what ive read it doesnt seem like any of the G suits are in.

Which means there will be a $30 dlc 3 months after release.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kuvo posted:

From what ive read it doesnt seem like any of the G suits are in.

Which means there will be a $30 dlc 3 months after release.

The Full Boost DLC pattern was 300-500 yen per individual suit(with special combo packs that included all the suits from a certain release period with some bonus stuff like portraits attached) and it seemed wildly successful, so it wouldn't surprise me for them to continue that model.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 5, 2017

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Zeta Gundam HD Remaster is up on GundamInfo!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Schneider Heim posted:

Zeta Gundam HD Remaster is up on GundamInfo!

Cool, but it doesn't have the badass 80s intro music.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wanna have a pure time, everyone's a noble mind.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

It also doesn't have the dub narration. "This soul is certainly not at peace..."

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The opening to Zeta with the orchestral music is pretty good.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Panzeh posted:

The opening to Zeta with the orchestral music is pretty good.

I think I actually like it more than the proper opening.

Though I'm pretty sure that's :commissar: level heresy.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Both are good.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The music is good but I don't find it timed that well to the animation...

Though that's fine. Never have I imagined that we'd have this, a few years back.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

since I liked ibo, I've started looking into other gundam shows (last one I saw before ibo was g gundam as a kid). just got to the scene where they used the death star in 00 and I can't say I care for the show as much. the cast isn't nearly as strong

any recommendations on where to go after this? outside of the ones I mentioned, I've already seen the original series and gundam wing

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Watch Turn-A.

Also War in the Pocket and Zeta.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
War in the Pocket, Thunderbolt, and the original show. After you finish the original show (or films if you don't have time commitment issues), watch The Origin.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Watch the movie compilation of Mobile Suit Gundam and then Zeta.

Also Turn A.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
watch every UC gundam in in-universe chronological order

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

As others have said, Turn A and 0080 war in the pocket most definitely. They're the best gundam shows imo.

Also

Manatee Cannon posted:

any recommendations on where to go after this? outside of the ones I mentioned, I've already seen the original series and gundam wing

Reading sure is hard

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So watch The Origin, then.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

thanks for the recommendations guys. I'll check that stuff out

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Make sure its the Zeta tv series not the movies!

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
And Build Fighters.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Happy birthday, Gundam!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

quote:

Composer Yūshi Matsuyama (real name Shigeru Matsuyama) passed away on Friday due to burns sustained in a house fire. He was 79.

The fire broke out at Matsuyama's two-story residence at around 4:30 p.m. on Friday and burned about 10 square meters of a second-floor Japanese-style room. Matsuyama was rescued from the room, but he had sustained burns. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Matsuyama was a composer known for his work on television shows, movies, and commercials. He composed the music and arranged the theme songs for the original 1979 Mobile Suit Gundam anime, and he returned to the franchise in recent years to compose insert songs for the Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin original video anime. He also notably arranged theme songs for Alps no Shōjo Heidi, Majokko Megu-chan, and Shin Kyojin no Hoshi.
Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-04-07/mobile-suit-gundam-composer-yushi-matsuyama-dies-after-house-fire/.114528

This is a god damned shame, and christ what an awful way to go.

I was only familiar with his work on Mobile Suit Gundam, and I honestly really liked his music and found it to be as iconic a part of the show as Yas' designs or the Zaku or anything else in there.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Turn A and 08th MS Team are the two I would recommend.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Raxivace posted:

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-04-07/mobile-suit-gundam-composer-yushi-matsuyama-dies-after-house-fire/.114528

I was only familiar with his work on Mobile Suit Gundam, and I honestly really liked his music and found it to be as iconic a part of the show as Yas' designs or the Zaku or anything else in there.

What lovely timing yeah, I liked his stuff (even the weird silly cool at the time seventies funk) and I feel awful for his family and loved ones :smith:.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Raxivace posted:

Well, that's some depressing news. :smith:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/gundam_info/status/850892375257907200

Don't wanna jump the gun as someone who can't actually read this, but machine tl gives me than a new Reconguista thing is in planning.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

just finished 00 gundam and I got some thoughts on it

-I was surprised that the main character was actually from the middle east. I think that's pretty neat and not something you see a lot of
-the show doesn't make good use of most of the extended cast and some of the motivations are dumb or poorly explained. also found it kinda hard to sympathize with a lot of them
-the love interest is insanely useless and even actively detrimental to those around her a lot of the time; I don't like her
-saji crossroad spent so much of the show being awful and then only got a halfassed change of heart where he was only willing to fight if it involved louise; I don't like him
-speaking of saji, it's kinda hosed up that setsuna's answer to the situation with louise is to go out of his way to help when his response to lockon mk2's entirely similar situation is to say "don't worry I'll kill your girlfriend so you don't have to"
-patrick colasour is a weird joke character. he was kinda annoying, but not so much that I hated him. he also didn't get much screen time so his romance with the colonel meant nothing to me (except in that the colonel's taste in men is terrible). surprised he didn't die
-gn particles/quantum brain fields/innovators/etc are literally magic and make no sense. everything around them was dumb but in a way that I kinda liked
-the mech designs are a so-so. definitely disappointing after watching ibo because barbatos is a a lot cooler than exia/00/etc
-how the gently caress did the a-laws keep the death star wiping cities off the map a secret
-why did anyone at all agree with the a-laws anyway. everything they did was cartoonishly evil

overall the show wasn't very good imo. the plot was kinda dumb and heavyhanded and the characters left a lot to be desired. I didn't hate it, but... eh. gonna watch turn a next since that got the most recommendations

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A lot of those problems you mentioned that are in the second half can be answered with "Because they decided to make it more like Zeta and that's what happened in Zeta so that's why it happened in 00".

One of the really weird things about the space laser to me is, how there's this buildup to destroying it, it's a big deal, etc. And then a few episodes later there's another and they wipe it out effortlessly.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Sir, are you shittalking Patrick?

That is just not done

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Manatee Cannon posted:

The show doesn't make good use of most of the extended cast and some of the motivations are dumb or poorly explained. also found it kinda hard to sympathize with a lot of them

I can definitely agree with this, especially in regards to someone like Wang Liu Mei who it turns out was basically in support of a revolution because she hated being the prime inheritor of her family.

Manatee Cannon posted:

The love interest is insanely useless and even actively detrimental to those around her a lot of the time; I don't like her

Marina? She's not a love interest, and is never treated as one in the show - she's a maternal figure for Setsuna given that he killed his own mother. Someone for him to discuss morality and peace with basically. One of the things I like about 00 is that while Setsuna does become a really powerful being by the end, and things work out well for most of the cast Setsuna never gets over his social and emotional issues. He freaks out when Nena Trinity kisses him in season one, and he's still emotionally incapable of returning someone's romantic feelings by the movie despite having changed a good bit in the interim.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Saji crossroad spent so much of the show being awful and then only got a halfassed change of heart where he was only willing to fight if it involved louise; I don't like him

This I disagree with though, at least partially, because I really liked Saji (and Louise I guess) during season one when they're just civilians who exist to show what effect Celestial Being are having on the world. I wasn't too fond of them becoming more central to the plot in season two in the first place, but I especially didn't like Saji being Setsuna's backpack since I think the Raiser destroyed the look of the 00 by hanging a plane on it's back and Saji would have been as useful helping Ian on the Ptolemaois. That said, I can understand and sympathize with someone who didn't want to fight and only did so to help his loved ones.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Speaking of saji, it's kinda hosed up that setsuna's answer to the situation with louise is to go out of his way to help when his response to lockon mk2's entirely similar situation is to say "don't worry I'll kill your girlfriend so you don't have to"

Louise was operating under drugs and wrong information while Anew seemed to be operating of her own free will from what I recall. I imagine the fact Anew was about to give important information away and there was somewhat of a time limit on action counted too.

Manatee Cannon posted:

GN particles/quantum brain fields/innovators/etc are literally magic and make no sense. everything around them was dumb but in a way that I kinda liked

Someone once laid out how GN stuff could, at least theoretically make sense. I don't know how much thought the staff put in to this stuff, but it does have a bit of verisimillitude at least.

Manatee Cannon posted:

The mech designs are a so-so. definitely disappointing after watching ibo because barbatos is a a lot cooler than exia/00/etc

I disagree with this as well. 00 doesn't have my favorite Gundam designs, but I generally prefer the series' aesthetic to that of IBO (and find the show as a whole a lot better too personally), including preferring the 00/Quant to Barbatos.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The Quant was a huge disappointment to me. Barbatos blows it out of the water.

*different strokes plays in the background*

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I love the Exia, Dynames and Quant, Overflag and Tieren ground type. I think the Arios and a bunch of other designs are cool as well. I also think IBO has a ton of good designs.

tsob posted:

Marina? She's not a love interest, and is never treated as one in the show - she's a maternal figure for Setsuna given that he killed his own mother. Someone for him to discuss morality and peace with basically. One of the things I like about 00 is that while Setsuna does become a really powerful being by the end, and things work out well for most of the cast Setsuna never gets over his social and emotional issues. He freaks out when Nena Trinity kisses him in season one, and he's still emotionally incapable of returning someone's romantic feelings by the movie despite having changed a good bit in the interim.
For all its flaws I like how Setsuna goes from pretty much unable to grasp the concept of romantic love to being able to recognize it and handle responding to it; but still not being interested in it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tsob posted:

Someone once laid out how GN stuff could, at least theoretically make sense. I don't know how much thought the staff put in to this stuff, but it does have a bit of verisimillitude at least.

The basic particle theory was pretty grounded (in its own rules at the very least and how various people used/abused them in the first season), it just turned into handwavy space magic bullshit in Season 2.

Really you can dial down Gundam 00 to "Season 1 was fantastic, Season 2 had Sunrise Syndrome".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Flags > Grazes imo

The second season of 00 is pretty bad but the CB designs are a splendid evolution of the conventional gundam silhouette