Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

It's a common enough insult in Ireland but often it's said by women to women.

I think it's about how cows are large, thick, stubborn creatures. So sort of fat shaming thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Okay, two questions.

1. What is the craziest thing that Domino's powers have done?

2. Why is Beast the worst?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Schneider Heim posted:

Okay, two questions.

1. What is the craziest thing that Domino's powers have done?

There's an issue of A+X where she teams up with Scarlet Witch and is able to visualize the effects of probabilistic mine fields. It looks like the video that plays when you finally beat a really hard level of Super Meat Boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbSDiFihwXs

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Rhyno posted:

It's been ages but Waid did some interviews where he talked about how nobody understood why Wally was so fixated on Barry because nobody in the fandom really cared about Barry.

People were absolutely enraged when they replaced Hal though, there was that stupid group that lobbied for Hal's return for years and even took out ads in Wizard and various other comic mags.

I collect issues of Wizard and have probably near 100. I pray to god I have some of these issues.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Question IRL posted:

It's a common enough insult in Ireland but often it's said by women to women.

I think it's about how cows are large, thick, stubborn creatures. So sort of fat shaming thing.

Yeah this is how I've always heard it used. It's about being fat and kind of useless. It is gender specific though.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Dumb question and I'm sure the answer is no: is there somewhere I can get a complete list of a character's appearances? Ideally suited by release date but I don't care.

I always notice that ComicVine has a thing on each character's page that shows their most nine or so recent appearances depending on if a book has them flagged as showing up in their wiki, but you can't seem to get more than the most recent nine.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Craptacular! posted:

Dumb question and I'm sure the answer is no: is there somewhere I can get a complete list of a character's appearances? Ideally suited by release date but I don't care.

I always notice that ComicVine has a thing on each character's page that shows their most nine or so recent appearances depending on if a book has them flagged as showing up in their wiki, but you can't seem to get more than the most recent nine.

ComicDB probably isn't exhaustive but it's probably the best bet.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Craptacular! posted:

http://comicbookdb.com/browse.php?search=Character

Click your character then click chronological appearance. Not sure how up to date it stays though.

EDIT: It's got 8-Ball's most recent appearance in Star-Lord, that tells me it stays pretty up to date if it has such a low tier character in a book that probably isn't super popular.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Schneider Heim posted:

Beast just always does that thing where he does stupid things because he thinks he knows better than everyone else.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Im always conflicted about that page because it makes me like Maria hill for a brief moment

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

site posted:

Im always conflicted about that page because it makes me like Maria hill for a brief moment

She's not a bad person; she's just in the wrong job. Or maybe she's in the wrong job at the wrong time; sometimes in the past, SHIELD wasn't a looming nightmare doom squad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Maria Hill suffers for being the designated The Wrong One in addition to getting all the crap that comes from SHIELD being mandated by plot to be poo poo at their jobs.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Maria Hill is good and relatable

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

If you want some good pre-Crisis GL stories that involve Hal, check out the Tales of the Green Lantern Corps collections. It's the early 80s miniseries and a bunch of backups from the regular GL title.

Putting aside the HEAT insanity, I don't think people missed Hal per se as much as they did the Corps.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lightning Lord posted:

If you want some good pre-Crisis GL stories that involve Hal, check out the Tales of the Green Lantern Corps collections. It's the early 80s miniseries and a bunch of backups from the regular GL title.

Putting aside the HEAT insanity, I don't think people missed Hal per se as much as they did the Corps.

I can definitely understand that. Killing off the entire corps to turn Hal Jordan evil was a wee bit overkill. Unlike the nova corps, there were some pretty memorable c-listers in the GLC.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I can definitely understand that. Killing off the entire corps to turn Hal Jordan evil was a wee bit overkill. Unlike the nova corps, there were some pretty memorable c-listers in the GLC.

Editorial felt like they needed to outdo the other major shakeups. Superman was always going to come back to life, Batman's back was always going to heal, Wonder Woman was always going to get her mantle back. But with Hal, they made no guarantee that he was ever coming back as GL.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Editorial felt like they needed to outdo the other major shakeups. Superman was always going to come back to life, Batman's back was always going to heal, Wonder Woman was always going to get her mantle back. But with Hal, they made no guarantee that he was ever coming back as GL.

I feel like they made it intentionally harder to redeem Hal so that they could point to him and say "See this one stuck!" and that anyone trying to redeem him and bring him back would decide not to because of how many hoops of stupidity they'd have to jump through to do that. Enter: Geoff Johns.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

He shouldn't have.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I feel like they made it intentionally harder to redeem Hal so that they could point to him and say "See this one stuck!" and that anyone trying to redeem him and bring him back would decide not to because of how many hoops of stupidity they'd have to jump through to do that. Enter: Geoff Johns.

That's it exactly. Carlin wanted a brand new hero on the level of Wally West which is why Hal was the bad guy in his two subsequent appearances (Zero Hour, 2-part in GL). And honestly, killing him off in FInal Night was a really good move and lead to some fantastic stories for Kyle.

And hey, when Hal came back, it all felt right and we almost forgot that Hal sucked at first.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

X-O posted:

EDIT: It's got 8-Ball's most recent appearance in Star-Lord, that tells me it stays pretty up to date if it has such a low tier character in a book that probably isn't super popular.

Depends on the title, character, and how current the issues are. New popular books would be fairly accurate, older titles depend on how obsessive the person filling out the info is.

There was also some infighting years ago if edge cases like background characters or single panel flashbacks should be included, so I'm sure a bunch of stuff got lost.

I still don't understand how the DC characters are chronicled what with all the reboots Crises.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

prefect posted:

Did they at least give Hal back those cool grey streaks on the sides of his head?

The stupidest goddamn thing about Hal's return was that it also added a bit where it revealed that no, Hal actually didn't get old. It was Parallax giving him grey streaks to freak him out.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Maria Hill is good and relatable

Fraction's Invincible Iron Man is what got me to like Maria Hill. Her being thrown out of SHIELD is great. It is unfortunate she seems to be perpetually stuck in that role now.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

muscles like this! posted:

The stupidest goddamn thing about Hal's return was that it also added a bit where it revealed that no, Hal actually didn't get old. It was Parallax giving him grey streaks to freak him out.

Did Parallax also force Hal to become an insurance adjustor and then a toy salesman?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

muscles like this! posted:

You're switching cause and effect there, Hal's hair turned white because he'd been exposed to extreme fear.

I will defend the Parallax retcon forever, Johns took like half a dozen completely unrelated things that had happened over some 40-odd years and had never actually been explained, went "yeah but what if this", hung them all together, and made it so they not only made sense, but launched tons of new mythology and characters that the GL franchise has been running on ever since. That was drat fine work.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

I will defend the Parallax retcon forever, Johns took like half a dozen completely unrelated things that had happened over some 40-odd years and had never actually been explained, went "yeah but what if this", hung them all together, and made it so they not only made sense

Pretend I posted that panel of Hal Jordan asking Specter to help him as he bursts out of Parallax.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

CapnAndy posted:

You're switching cause and effect there, Hal's hair turned white because he'd been exposed to extreme fear.

I will defend the Parallax retcon forever, Johns took like half a dozen completely unrelated things that had happened over some 40-odd years and had never actually been explained, went "yeah but what if this", hung them all together, and made it so they not only made sense, but launched tons of new mythology and characters that the GL franchise has been running on ever since. That was drat fine work.

I'll give him that. Johns got me back into Green Lantern before he completely turned me off of it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

CapnAndy posted:

I just wish the new mythology made any sense or was interesting in any way.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

And then he completely ignored The Corpse because someone else wrote it and it didn't fit with that mythology even though it was a really cool addition to it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

And then he completely ignored The Corpse because someone else wrote it and it didn't fit with that mythology even though it was a really cool addition to it.

Johns tends to do that. Hell he's ignored his own work numerous times because he's later changed his mind.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Corpse should be negated from existence for being the worst pun of all time anyway.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Johns tends to do that. Hell he's ignored his own work numerous times because he's later changed his mind.

To be at least a little fair to him, he got caught in the unenviable position of having a giant company-wide reboot Dr. Manhattan time-stealing incident happen in the middle of his run. So like, he was trying to incorporate characters and concepts into Green Lantern that now no longer existed in the DCU. Or trying to use history that couldn't have possibly happened in the N52. Add to that that loving no one at DC seemed to actually know what was canon at the N52 launch, and apparently editors were hardly trying to fix the glaring continuity problems between books.

I'd probably forget poo poo and change my own story around too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nah, he was doing it years before that. We used to have a running list of things he changed on the fly in his GL run but I don't have a link anywhere.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
If the idea of legacy is at the heart of the DC Universe with the Robins and the JSA and year 3000 guys, what's at the heart of the Marvel Universe? Is it teamwork?

CharlestheHammer posted:

I just wish the new mythology made any sense or was interesting in any way.

Is Johns the reason we have a whole rainbow of Lantern colors? That's kinda neat to me. Not enough to get me to buy Green Lantern, but still

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SonicRulez posted:

Is Johns the reason we have a whole rainbow of Lantern colors? That's kinda neat to me. Not enough to get me to buy Green Lantern, but still

Yes.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

haitfais posted:

I'll give him that. Johns got me back into Green Lantern before he completely turned me off of it.

This is pretty much the best description of Johns' tenure. He wrote some really, really good stuff, and then a whole lot of bad stuff.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SonicRulez posted:

If the idea of legacy is at the heart of the DC Universe with the Robins and the JSA and year 3000 guys, what's at the heart of the Marvel Universe? Is it teamwork?

Yea but he forgot to give them a purpose

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This is reminding me that I have like 400 green lantern books from the late 80s to the mid 90s that I haven't looked at. My uncle gave me all his comics about a year back... dude had an unhealthy obsession with green lantern, especially Guy Gardner. Also Punisher, Lobo, and anything Garth Ennis wrote.

Was any of the Guy Gardner stuff good?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

This is reminding me that I have like 400 green lantern books from the late 80s to the mid 90s that I haven't looked at. My uncle gave me all his comics about a year back... dude had an unhealthy obsession with green lantern, especially Guy Gardner. Also Punisher, Lobo, and anything Garth Ennis wrote.

Was any of the Guy Gardner stuff good?

meh. Outside of the Giffen/DeMatteis JL, I can't remember seeing many interesting Guy stories. Maybe there was something in GLC Quarterly, but if so it's slipped my mind.

The solo Guy book was mostly Beau Smith jacking off really hard trying to make Guy the Bestest Everything Ever in the DCU.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Selachian posted:

meh. Outside of the Giffen/DeMatteis JL, I can't remember seeing many interesting Guy stories. Maybe there was something in GLC Quarterly, but if so it's slipped my mind.

The solo Guy book was mostly Beau Smith jacking off really hard trying to make Guy the Bestest Everything Ever in the DCU.

imma fight you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

I would say the core idea of the Marvel universe is real problems. These fantastic superheroes grounded by relateable issues.