Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ikanreed posted:

One of these was a central element to the narrative conflict, the other was a design choice.

Well yeah, that's the other reason why it's funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean isn't Jack like literally in underpants

I woke up thinking it was Sunday morning :( disappointing

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I don't think anyone was super offended by the outfits, but a couple goons certainly lost their poo poo at the idea that anyone would want to discuss them and their possible implications in the larger context of media.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
In less than twelve hours this thread will finally have something to actually talk about.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I stand by the outfits as they keenly and very basically express the most basic principles of Western character design.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Das Boo posted:

I stand by the outfits as they keenly and very basically express the most basic principles of Western character design.

Which are what?

I wonder if Jack is actually going to get his sword back in tonight's episode or if it's going to be held off for the final showdown. Either way, we're going to be seeing more Ashi so I'm still pumped. :allears:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone actually offended in any way by the outfits? That poo poo's baffling.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

EagerSleeper posted:

Which are what?

triangles are fast

i'm being really reductive but this is basically it

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Escobarbarian posted:

Is anyone actually offended in any way by the outfits? That poo poo's baffling.

People are offended that people are discussing them, does that count?

The fact that Ashii is just a palette swap of that one chick from Symbionic Titan is pretty bad for a show that's supposed to be about pushing the limitations of the medium of television animation though.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

EagerSleeper posted:

Which are what?

mandatory lesbian posted:

triangles are fast

i'm being really reductive but this is basically it

It is basically this.

But here's my post from earlier anyway:

Das Boo posted:

Eh, I like them. The robes get a little clumsy (Jack ends up bare half the time even in the old series) and from a design perspective, their suits communicate speed, stealth, precision, flexibility, intelligence and most importantly, danger. The minimalistic style of SJ gives presidency to form and the primary shape of the robe is a rectangle, which implies stability, control, wisdom and authority. The girls are better represented by triangles it communicates all the crap I was talking about for them earlier. They're almost totally comprised of triangles! There's no shape that expresses speed as well as a triangle and it's their speed that really features in the threat they pose. I also like the imagery of them being all points like the weapons they are(were).

I'd feel weird if it was contextually sexualizing them, which it's not at all this far. They're not taking any gross T&A shots either, thank god.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I think its just the exaggerated figures they have (those pencil waists!!) With the skintight suits that get people.
I mean yeah theres arguments to be made for it being within the shows stylization and stuff to be said about how it echoes the male empowerment/female objectification contrast thats pretty common in shows and comics.

Imo id fall in the "its in the shows art style" (and it is they cut a very aku like figure) but i would love to mockup alternative looks for the septuplets if I had the artistic talent for it.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 8, 2017

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
well they are basically tools of a cult. They don't have personality or own desires, and everything about them reflects that.
Ashi might get to actually make choices soon, and this will probably come through in her character design.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
These goddamn assassins are giving me a boner and I don't like it.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Motherfucker posted:

These goddamn assassins are giving me a boner and I like it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

EXTRA THICK

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Thank you for the excellent answers, everyone! This is a stylish show so I would indeed expect the designers to work with visual shorthand to display the strength and agility of the characters involved. This show is a visual masterpiece so far, so a lot of thought must have been put into how everything looks. Going to look forward to tonight's episode.

In the meanwhile, have a video to tide you over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7t_VUJUVks

(Turn on subtitles.)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hey, is there any kind of official CN/Adult Swim/Toonami stream that'll stream Jack as it airs that I can log into with my cable info? I have PS Vue, but I'm somewhere without it at the moment.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

VJeff posted:

Hey, is there any kind of official CN/Adult Swim/Toonami stream that'll stream Jack as it airs that I can log into with my cable info? I have PS Vue, but I'm somewhere without it at the moment.

Since you have cable, Adult Swim has a live stream http://www.adultswim.com/videos/simulcast.

They hide it every time they change up their site.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Gotta get back

Back to the schedule.

EDIT: A literal murder of crows.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
drat Murder of Crows shouting Murderer

E: Now this is some classic Samurai Jack :allears:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
This bit of Jack and Ashi is dark comedy gold.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mr. Fowl posted:

Since you have cable, Adult Swim has a live stream http://www.adultswim.com/videos/simulcast.

They hide it every time they change up their site.

Thank you!

This episode is really funny. Like, drat.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"She's here because of me" sold me on this plot development.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Mario dungeon music here.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Oh no is the next episode going to be the Scotsman's last stand against Aku, since Jack went missing? :ohdear:

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
He jump good

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Ladybugs. God's favorite animal.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

SgtSteel91 posted:

Oh no is the next episode going to be the Scotsman's last stand against Aku, since Jack went missing? :ohdear:

If it is there will probably be a ton of references in whatever army he's assembled.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

He jump good

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

its gonna own, so hard

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
my favorite thing about this episode is that absolutely nothing jack said got through to aisha, it was his actions

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"She's here because of me" sold me on this plot development.

Yes. It was perfect. That's Jack in a nutshell.

This was the most dialog-heavy episode and I loved it. I forgot how much of a funny guy Jack can be when he wants to be.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

VJeff posted:

This was the most dialog-heavy episode and I loved it. I forgot how much of a funny guy Jack can be when he wants to be.
His clumsy attempts at lightening the mood were great.

"You know...a lot of people pay money for this! It's called acupuncture!"

Side note: holy poo poo that old PS1 review by Moltar was hilarious.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Moltars review is accurate, Cool Boarders 2 was a solid 4/5 game and a real improvement over Cool Boarders 1

Samurai Jack was fantastic as well but you know, Cool Boarders.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
The humor was spot on.

The interior of the animal was just gorgeous. In a show that is known for its sharp angles and definitions, having such an organic structure was incredible. It almost felt like the animators just showing off and just trying new things.

Hell the whole revival feels like a group of people showing up and saying, "Yeah, we are still badass at what we do."

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
drat it, my DVR wasn't scheduled to record for tonight. :( Any idea on the next rerun of this episode?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Should be the usual time, Wednesday at 10.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Crazy Jack getting sassed by the spore

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

gently caress me, I love this show so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

These aren't my lamps. These have feet.
Well, got double pranked when my DVR didn't record jack. Why even pay for cable?

• Locked thread