Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I kinda wish Summoned Skull had its own archetype rather than being mediocre support for Red-Eyes and Archfiends. I understand why it won't happen, but a boy can dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Hungry Burger legacy support or bust :colbert:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Hjalmar posted:

I kinda wish Summoned Skull had its own archetype rather than being mediocre support for Red-Eyes and Archfiends. I understand why it won't happen, but a boy can dream.

Because Archfiends are Demon in japan, and Summoned Skull is Summoned Demon in japan. Still sucks that the Archfiend/Demon archetype isn't more based on Summoned Skull, tho. It's easily one of the strongest Kaz designs, to the point where the pretty new version by him pales in comparison.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I guess they could cheat it like they did Monarchs and have an archetype revolving around monsters with 2500/1200? But I don't see that happening any time soon.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hopeford posted:

I remember really liking the objectively terrible cards that had attack/defense points that were a little weird. Like one monster had an attack of 1610 or something and I was like "I love this thing."

That one Castle of Dark Illusions card has 1910 defense. It's very strange.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's from the anime and it's because in the manga it had 2500 def, but in the anime the darkness it created gave all fiends a 30% field power bonus. So to have the numbers play out the same as in the manga, they reduced its def to 1910 which when multiplied by 1.3 just about equals 2500. There's a couple of others in the same boat like Reaper of the Cards.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It's always been a dream of mine to make a deck consisting of cards like castle of dark illusions that have weird numbers combined with a bunch of stuff like life absorbing machine so I can make the life point values become so ridiculous and the math so obtuse my opponent quits in frustration rather than calculate everything. I will consider the deck perfect if I can somehow make someones life points include decimals.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

It's a large part of why I like Cubics. They have multiple lifepoint-halving cards.

You could do rank 4 in that deck and use Utopia Prime for more number fuckery.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The final ratings. Not 100% sure, but I do believe this is NicoNico's worst rated anything in the history of the site.

dic.nicovideo.jp/id/5454686
NicoNico hates AV so much that an extensive article was made to explain it.

apropos nothing, and super dweeb, but something I extra-dislike is the final frame of AV. DM ends with a flash of light as Yugi explains his story will begin with light. Gx has Judai backpacking in the desert and then doing his catchphrase as a goodbye. Yusei is pulling a dumb bike stunt to the city he saved. Yuma is hanging with his self-made family towards more adventure. Yuya just poses like he's in the cover of a Sonic game, getting away from Yuzu as he goes duel his dad. I don't care for shipping poo poo, but ffs he actually spent two thirds of the show with the goal of rescuing Yuzu, the very least that could be done would be represent that in the finale.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 1, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

143 getting a pass purely due to THE MAN GONGENZAKA is my favorite thing.

Gongenzaka and Sawatari were meant for better card game shows.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Sawatari should have been the rival

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
It's pretty obvious that "hateboner for Arc-V" as a meme started on 118. Ah, battle beast. You could've been so not poo poo.

I mean, it got a little better near the end, and there were a poo poo ton of really bad episodes during Synchro arc that should've been rated way lower than, say, Reira (wo)manning up and nuking Zarc.

Edit: Like...the fact that the first half of Synchro had, on average, better ratings than Standard goes to show how wet the Japanese fanbase gets over Crow (and I guess Jack, maybe?).

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Look closer, 143 was hated. 144 went over bc it's actually a good entertainment duel that gave a satisfying end to a fan favorite character, something that would never happen again.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
gongenzaka ceased to be THE MAN when he went for that action card

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Raserys posted:

"It's okay if you reject who you are for the sake of your friends"
two episodes later
"Yuya, you are the worst person ever for trying to reject the demon that destroyed the world just for the sake of your friends."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Raserys posted:

He fuckin chucked his iron sandals and broke a rock with them, and then hauled rear end like a motherfucker
The duel ended badly but that moment is (almost) as good as sergei decking a ten year old in the face with a spike and then rocketing off.

Christ how could AV become so bland when it had moments like that.
What a loving shame.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rigged Death Trap posted:

143 is actually second most hated next to the finale.

Which is unfair to Gongenzaka, but also, gently caress that stupid episode! Everything except Gongenzaka was stupid bullshit.

It's kind of amazing how Gongenzaka literally had a 0 winning percentage when he introed a new Synchro.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
someone in the let's play thread compared the arc v supporting cast to GX, but 10000 sawataris couldn't beat one manjoume

Hell at least in GX, the non-Jadens actually got to win every so often

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Raserys posted:

someone in the let's play thread compared the arc v supporting cast to GX, but 10000 sawataris couldn't beat one manjoume

Season 4 was about the non-Jadens getting their sendoffs even! Two-parter about Ed teaching Chazz how to be a pro! Sho defending the Cyberstyle and mixing decks while taking care of his bro, Asuka trying to get Jaden to smile again in a fun, wacky tag duel. TYRANNO FINDS OUT HIS PAST LIFE WAS A DINOSAUR DURING HIS LAST STAND FOR THE ISLAND. AV's cast does not get anything close to it. The catalyst for the Supreme King poo poo is all the buddies getting snuffed in front of Jaden. The catalyst for Zarc is all the buddies telling Yuya how proud they are of him and that he should keep dueling for smiles.

Gx is wacky and quite inconsistent, its side-cast is miles ahead of any other Yugioh spinoffs. AV isn't even out of its starting line compared to Gx. AV is a cast of Bastions, without the nudist streak.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You all should just watch Vanguard instead, characters actually get to be cool in that one.

Except in Legion Mate, Legion Mate was bad.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Blaze Dragon posted:

You all should just watch Vanguard instead, characters actually get to be cool in that one.

Except in Legion Mate, Legion Mate was bad.

At least it wasn't loving Asia Circuit with its "let's erase and replace these clans from everyone's memories, because PLOT" and stupid gimmick matches.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Pre derailment Aki and Jack are the best secondary characters :colbert:

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

What a horrible ending.

I can't believe a professional writer decided it would be a good idea not to bring back the other parts of Zarc or Ray.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So this VRAINS show that's coming up is directed by the guy who did Digimon Xros Wars, which was a fun show.

Looks like they surf while playing card games. That should be something.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

OP will be sung by TOMMY, and there's quite a bit of staff "missing" from the last few AV episodes, so at the very, very least it'll have a baller OP.

YGO has some pretty dope people in its staff, and Hosoda's pulled some good poo poo with way less under his direction, so I'm expecting some pretty stuff overall.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Here's a goofy fan video that is still better written than Arc-V.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Speed Duels will be in VRAINS. We don't know if that means Speed Duels only, or if it'll be split between them and regular duels.
https://ygorganization.com/isbeingwiththewindmeaningusingguardiangrarl/

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Speed Duels will be in VRAINS. We don't know if that means Speed Duels only, or if it'll be split between them and regular duels.

I thought this meant motorcycle dueling was coming back again.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Raserys posted:

There's a Let's Play thread for Yu-Gi-Oh? How would that even work? I mean there's the games but...I guess it'd be a thread-wide LP where everyone somehow participates to get cards or something?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ThermoPhysical posted:

There's a Let's Play thread for Yu-Gi-Oh? How would that even work? I mean there's the games but...I guess it'd be a thread-wide LP where everyone somehow participates to get cards or something?

It's a let's play of one of the video games, and not a good one. Game or LP.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

How does a deck-out deck not instantly win all speed duels forever? A single Needle Worm takes out a fourth of your deck in one shot!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

galagazombie posted:

How does a deck-out deck not instantly win all speed duels forever? A single Needle Worm takes out a fourth of your deck in one shot!

Please watch Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS every week to find out how Aoi doesn't win every single one of her duels.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

galagazombie posted:

just refuse to end your turn

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Certain cards will be forbidden from Speed Duels. Aside from cards that literally can't be played (Scapegoat. Blasting the Ruins), I imagine cards that restrict zones like Ground Collapse and Ojama Trio will be banned or at 1, and win conditions like Mill and Exodia will be heavily restricted somehow.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

galagazombie posted:

Can't speak for VRAINS but the card pool in Duel Links is much more limited, it plays more like an updated version of the pre 2006 games with some modern imports like Sphere Kuriboh.

Also the card limit is still 3, so decks are much more consistent. The biggest gently caress you out of nowhere threat is Karate Man OTK and I'm pretty sure that's not actually any good.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
i got to rewatching early arc v and man, it's a drat shame what happened to the rest of it

shun is the hero we deserve

yuzu too

Raserys fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 7, 2017

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

corn in the bible posted:

just refuse to end your turn

Wrong kind of speed duel.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
A major theater chain here just announced DSOD' release later this month, fully dubbed. Is like I'm 16 again :allears:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

A major theater chain here just announced DSOD' release later this month, fully dubbed. Is like I'm 16 again :allears:

Wait, what?? Was it cinepolis? google oh heck yeah, guess I might check it.

Though the yugioh facebook also said that some US cities are getting a limited screening of the subbed version, and I might go to that instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
i kinda wish the anime would go back to a traditional magical theme, i'm tired of all the alternate dimension stuff

like i get that the shadow realm and yugioh egypt serve basically the same purpose, but the setting of "actual egypt with real life card games" is still the best

Raserys fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 10, 2017