Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I don't feel like the standard of footy has been very good so far but it's pretty cool that i have pretty much no idea who will win any games next week. The only team that looks properly garbage an incapable of winning is Gold Coast, but then they could have a good game this afternoon and it'll just confuse everything further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Solemn Sloth posted:

I think in review I'm actually slightly more bullish about our chances of making the 8 than I was before the game yesterday. If we had managed to kick better than Levi Casboult I think we set up a big enough buffer to win (I think we probably don't collapse in the last quarter quite as hard if the players had gotten some reward for effort throughout the game too).

Assuming the set shot conversion doesn't become a trend, and I don't think there's a particular reason to think it will, we're looking alright. There was a game against West Coast last year where we dominated and lost, but that was more about the quality of inside 50 entries, rather than actual goalkicking.

Defence is probably the biggest worry, Geelong's forwards were able to dictate the setup way too often, either through getting cheapies out the back, or setting up serious mismatches (Jetta caught one on one against Hawkins multiple times springs to mind). Part of that is because of how aggressively we are using our defenders which seriously hurts you on turnovers, but some of it was just bad communication when Geelong had had the ball for a fair while

Watts did really well filling in the ruck for the whole second half, I think Weideman needs to go out and spend some more time in the 2's, with Pederson coming in to replace him.

Interesting that Geelong have outrun their opponents to a big margin in the last quarter two weeks running, will be interesting to see if that becomes a trend.

i think we played pretty mediocre for the majority of the game against carlton and still came away with a win, so playing most of the game well against geelong and losing sort of evens things out. the players were completely gassed in the last quarter so getting completely overrun was a bit disappointing though. i thought picking smith over pedersen was a very odd move, but as goodwin said in the post match the side had 32 shots on goal for the game, which is not the sign of a dysfunctional forward line.

hunt playing his best game for the club was a good sign of things to come for him. alex neal-bullen also played his best game, 28 touches, 10 tackles and a goal shows that he might not be as limited as i had previously thought he might be. that we could look like winning at 3 qtr time with a number of players down on their best, (viney wasnt very influential but laid 8 tackles, tyson really didnt do a lot. bernie vince was well down on output) at a ground where the team traditionally doesnt like to play holds a lot of promise for the future.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Good to see the year off hasn't done Melksham any harm

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Gonna leave this one here, what a screwey game all round

monolithburger fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 9, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Jesus Christ that flying headbutt

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

Good to see the year off hasn't done Melksham any harm

As in he remains as bad as he always was?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Gawns hamstring worse than originally thought, may require surgery for tendon damage.

The moral of the story is everything is bad and there is always worse to come.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I'm really enjoying watching this Essendon Carlton match in the weather...

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
gary ablett to get 55 disposals and 4 goals

e: wow what is that jumper. should have stuck with the power rangers one

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
We are really bad

strap on revenge posted:

gary ablett to get 55 disposals and 4 goals

e: wow what is that jumper. should have stuck with the power rangers one

Now you're making it obvious that you will only say negative things if you think power rangers was better than plain white

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
Seems like the Saints game plan was to work out how to win while kicking even more poorly than last week. 23 behinds is a joke.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Blues jumper today looks great

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

realbez posted:

We are really bad

Now you're making it obvious that you will only say negative things if you think power rangers was better than plain white

admittedly a bit reactionary. the hawthorn jumper will never look good with that colour scheme though

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Tom Lynch will find himself in trouble if he keeps carrying on the way he has so far. He is determined to injure someone.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
The whole team is going the biff lol

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

after all the non holding the ball calls I'm amazed that was paid

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

boy undead posted:

Seems like the Saints game plan was to work out how to win while kicking even more poorly than last week. 23 behinds is a joke.

That was painful. The falcon on the Lions ruck where you could hear him (from the 3rd tier) go "OHHH" as he saw the ball come towards his face was amazing.

Thank god for the win. I'd hate to think what the rest of my week would be like if we lost in that fashion.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
IT CAAAAAAAAANT BE

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

Periphery posted:

That was painful. The falcon on the Lions ruck where you could hear him (from the 3rd tier) go "OHHH" as he saw the ball come towards his face was amazing.

Thank god for the win. I'd hate to think what the rest of my week would be like if we lost in that fashion.

At least Gresham was good. And Acres. Billings went missing again. Delivery was poo poo, so I'm willing to give McCartin the benefit of the doubt.

Pretty sweet goal from Murphy in the wet. Blues jumper is rad as gently caress.

boy undead fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 9, 2017

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
what the gently caress happened

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
lmao that deliberate out of bounds call

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

boy undead posted:

At least Gresham was good. And Acres. Billings went missing again. Delivery was poo poo, so I'm willing to give McCartin the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah, Gresh and Acres were good. I also thought Jimmy Webster had a great game. His kicking is a real weapon. Membrey would be having an amazing start to the year if he was slotting set shots like he did last year.

McCartin just doesn't seem to have the tank required at the moment. His time on ground today was 58% which is at least 20% below where it needs to be.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Could do without a Carlton win today tbh

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Nah get hosed mate

Up da bloos!

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Carn the mighty Suns!

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I loving called this dammit.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Busy af with work but wanted to say that Hawks guernsey is mint imo

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Apparently kicking in danger doesn't exist anymore

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Da da-da da DA!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Silvagnis first win!

What a game

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I love how they improved the afl live iOS app so much that now it barely ever refreshes itself and you have to force close it and open it again to get updated scores. Good job afl and telstra 😊

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Who would have thought Ricky Henderson would be our star recruit?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Not really sure we're gonna win the flag now after today

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Periphery posted:

Carn the mighty Suns!

:agreed: i was about to call it a year after the last two piss poor efforts

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Foxtel just said Gawn is gone for 12-16 oh my

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
48k turned up in dreadful weather with storm warnings.

I expected 25k given how bad it was outside today.

E:
https://twitter.com/AFL/status/850968286896414721?s=09

drunkill fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 9, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

realbez posted:

Who would have thought Ricky Henderson would be our star recruit?

I always liked Henderson as a player, had some good skills and good physical attributes, but while playing in the SANFL for Central Districts in I think 2012, he got ironed out in the most agricultural of fashions, and he was never the same afterwards - doesn't hear footsteps so much as he just avoids any kind of play where he might hear them.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Go gently caress yourself jaeger

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
That was awesome attacking from the Hawks, pity it was in the wrong direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005