Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I just don't see how you have room for both types. Skill slots are so incredibly limited...

All I really care about are those 3 skills. Everything else is basically cruft and it's easy enough to pick and choose for those 5 remaining slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Failboattootoot posted:

Playstyle choice perhaps, I only really care about knocking things down for the all-out attack that will kill them regardless of which damage spell I used. More efficient sp use allows for longer dungeon forays which allows for more experience and cash etc. I like having the t2 and higher spells for boss fights where all outs aren't typically available but for getting through dungeons? Eh.

I should maybe also note that the last time I went through Mementos I went through about 25 floors so maybe I am just a crazy person.

If tier 2+ skills pose a legit SP concern for you you've done hosed up. Go get SP 3 accessories from Tae. Never give a poo poo about SP again.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Edit: Also, i'm pretty sure Mishima's link is gated behind certain quests he gives you. Not all of them, but a couple. And he changes his location from Shibuya to Shinjuku around dungeon 3 which may have tripped you up.

Fuuuuuuck why did the game not tell me this.
"I'll check Shibuya. Oh, Mishima's not there, oh well, guess I'll come back later."

Captain Oblivious posted:

If tier 2+ skills pose a legit SP concern for you you've done hosed up. Go get SP 3 accessories from Tae. Never give a poo poo about SP again.

I got to Death Rank 7 before Palace 3 and hoo boy just one of those babies on my protagonist meant I only ever had to use one SP item on Makoto, and I probably could have avoided that too if I was more careful.
I have no clue what the 'correct' way to fight Onis was - they had no weakeness so I just shrugged and hit them all with Ma- spells while I was taking on other enemies.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 9, 2017

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

bewilderment posted:

Fuuuuuuck why did the game not tell me this.
"I'll check Shibuya. Oh, Mishima's not there, oh well, guess I'll come back later."

Why are you manually checking for people? Just hit r1 twice to get the full city map then press square on locations with the tarot icon to know who's available and even if they're gonna rank up from your next visit.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I don't have the game nor the money to afford it but the music is top notch.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I would more question your willingness to spend precious evenings making coffee. Also SP3 accessories are 50k a pop which would basically be a solid 3 hours of grinding even this late in the game to deck a party out. I stuck one on my MC obviously but everyone else? Rather keep bufu/agi/etc. in a slot and stick an evade: <weakness> accessory on them.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Infinity Gaia posted:

Why are you manually checking for people? Just hit r1 twice to get the full city map then press square on locations with the tarot icon to know who's available and even if they're gonna rank up from your next visit.

That's what I was doing, I was just hitting square on Shibuya and then going "welp no Mishima" instead of checking Shinjuku. I think I did check there once, but it must have been one of the days he wasn't there.

Failboattootoot posted:

I would more question your willingness to spend precious evenings making coffee. Also SP3 accessories are 50k a pop which would basically be a solid 3 hours of grinding even this late in the game to deck a party out.

Didn't do the Sun Confidant to rank 3, huh?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Failboattootoot posted:

I would more question your willingness to spend precious evenings making coffee. Also SP3 accessories are 50k a pop which would basically be a solid 3 hours of grinding even this late in the game to deck a party out. I stuck one on my MC obviously but everyone else? Rather keep bufu/agi/etc. in a slot and stick an evade: <weakness> accessory on them.

3 hours of grinding...? 50k is like, three or four lucky demon negotiations. I'm sitting on like 800k in palace 5. Are you playing on Merciless, perhaps?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Can't you get your teacher to make coffee for you

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Failboattootoot posted:

what? i had 4 sp3 accessories before the 3rd dungeon with no grinding. just held off on some gear upgrades and used sun rank 2 when i could

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Just to be clear, and I'm pretty sure that I already know the answer to this, but advisor is a translated senpai right

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is it worth it to hang out with someone if they're not going to rank up on that visit or does it just waste time?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Heath posted:

Is it worth it to hang out with someone if they're not going to rank up on that visit or does it just waste time?
Hanging out typically gets you three pips of relationship experience, so sometimes it's the fastest way to get to the next step of their link

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Final boss of palace 4 got a four hit combo off of successive crits, killing Joker in the process.

The boss had a barely visible sliver of health left. :shepicide:

Anzen
Oct 21, 2010
Casting confusion on Mementos bosses is the real way to riches in this game.

JT Jag posted:

Just to be clear, and I'm pretty sure that I already know the answer to this, but advisor is a translated senpai right

What's the context? The game keeps senpai as is for the most part and senpai doesn't really translate to advisor so it's unlikely.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Also, is there any way to toggle certain slink abilities?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Dizz posted:

I don't have the game nor the money to afford it but the music is top notch.
yeah i hated the music in 3 and 4 and its so much better in this title. would be nice to be able to turn it down a bit, a feature that is in 99% of other games

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah the reporter Slink abilities seem pretty bad and I don't want them

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
*pant* *wheeze* *hack* I-I did it. I made it to the first treasure in one day. Kill me.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

JT Jag posted:

You mean with what the Thieves call Makoto? I'm pretty sure that's just because she's their tactical advisor, not a translation of senpai. Otherwise they'd probably translate it more consistently because people still call her senpai.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Ah. Losing 25 minutes of progress due to RNG horseshit with some trash mobs is just as enjoyable as ever. :eng99:

At least all my previous game overs happened right after I had saved.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Get Mishima out of my room right now

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
What's a good level to go into the fourth palace if you don't want to hate your life? 30? 35?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well the gay stereotypes in this game are real fuckin' bad.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Palace 5 boss was somehow easy and yet also burned all my revive items on hand. :argh:

Oh hello plot how are you.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They weren't able to translate the joke with the security officer in Hawaii, I'm dying.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Anzen posted:

Casting confusion on Mementos bosses is the real way to riches in this game.

Does this mean you only get to do this with certain requests and completing them will lock you out of the confusion money?

Anzen
Oct 21, 2010

MohShuvuu posted:

Does this mean you only get to do this with certain requests and completing them will lock you out of the confusion money?

Yeah, if you've already defeated bosses that can be used for this method then you won't be able to use them for money. There are a lot of requests though, and the amount of money they throw out scales up with the boss's level too. The boss for the Temperance request gave me 35k-50k each turn and I got over 300k yen in about 15 minutes, it was cool.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I keep telling myself to start the maid S.Link but that conversation gives Ryuji SL points and I'm waiting for a good rank for him to do it. But his next rank is plot-gated I think sooo...

Also Death is stuck at rank 7 til I get Kindness up I guess. I'm on Kindness 3 so that's not too bad. Proficiency is going to be slipping far behind though, just not easy to find time to make lockpicks and I can't really do batting cages.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
everyone's scared of me, the japanese skinny hipster

japan must really be something

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ApplesandOranges posted:

I keep telling myself to start the maid S.Link but that conversation gives Ryuji SL points and I'm waiting for a good rank for him to do it. But his next rank is plot-gated I think sooo...

Also Death is stuck at rank 7 til I get Kindness up I guess. I'm on Kindness 3 so that's not too bad. Proficiency is going to be slipping far behind though, just not easy to find time to make lockpicks and I can't really do batting cages.

I don't think Ryuji is ever plot gated besides at the very start maybe, you can finish his poo poo in like fuckin May.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well the gay stereotypes in this game are real fuckin' bad.

yeah this is like my only gripe

why does atlus think in tyool 2017 that their go to gay characters need to be sexual predators

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

LOL is this a Bon Jovi reference in Persona? Was this in the original

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Farg posted:

why does atlus think in tyool 2017 that their go to gay characters need to be sexual predators

well they live in japan 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I don't think Ryuji is ever plot gated besides at the very start maybe, you can finish his poo poo in like fuckin May.

He's at rank 7 and is checking to make sure of some dude's drinking schedule. I assumed that was a 'it's on hold til the plot progresses' lock.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Got all the way to Palace 3s treasure in one go by the absolute skin of my teeth. I couldn't have done it if I didnt get a 100SP item out of a lockpick chest near the end.

The boss himself was pretty easy, and now I have a ton of free days before the deadline to doubt every decision I make because there is way too much stuff to level and new confidants are still being introduced.

Also keeping enough Personas around to help level the confidants is also really annoying because it means sitting through like 10 loading screens while I go and summon the right type of Persona then go back and hang out with whoever it is. Probably won't bother keep doing that.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 9, 2017

Anzen
Oct 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

LOL is this a Bon Jovi reference in Persona? Was this in the original

There was a song reference, but it was a Japanese rock song. Wanted Dead or Alive was actually a really clever and appropriate localization.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

well they live in japan 2017
a lot of people in japan also think those stereotypes are old and outdated

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

He's at rank 7 and is checking to make sure of some dude's drinking schedule. I assumed that was a 'it's on hold til the plot progresses' lock.

It;s not quite plot-locked but it won't progress until he sends you a text one night to help investigate the dude. I think it's just like every few nights or so he'll send it? Maybe once a week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I added some tips to social stats I gave to Endorph, but figured some people here might want the tips as well. Please clearly follow the instructions on the second half of the title if you have any issues with my recommendations.