Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

GunnerJ posted:

Yo, is the Voidcraft mod still totally incompatible? I ask because I had made a new spaceships mod for my personal use based on yours and it crashes on game load, which is the same thing that happened when I tried to use SE:Voidcraft for comparison. It's been annoying the hell out of me because I can't figure out what on Earth could have changed in Banks that would cause this.

Nah, Voidcraft works fine now. The issue I had was that I needed to redo the country_types file completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Seems like with this update you get a lot more anomalies and random events which I really appreciate. There is always something popping up to break up the pure empire management.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

KingLemming posted:

Nah, Voidcraft works fine now. The issue I had was that I needed to redo the country_types file completely.

Nice, thanks.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Man, I usually play these kinds of game with Pandora or a movie running. I took this thread's advice and turned the music on.

I've been making a huge mistake this entire time. This is fantastic stuff!

Finally getting into this game, I have no idea what I'm doing. Building up my little empire I guess. To echo some other posters in the thread, if anyone has a good guide or basic strategy on how to start in this game, I'd appreciate it.

Edit: Oh there is even a little music player under the time/date bit of the game. Nice!

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Reveilled posted:

SPECIES SUBMISSION

Rather than a species, per se, I've got something slightly different. If it doesn't fit with the pack feel free to leave it out. According to the blurb of the Commonwealth of Man, humanity sent out six ark ships, of which the ark that formed the commonwealth was only one. What if the others survived?

This is pretty fantastic.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Libluini posted:

Well, there's a file called "00_something_main" in the Stellaris portrait-folder. It includes a part setting robot-portrait files. You literally just have to make a portrait-mod, copy and rename that file, and put then put the names of your new portraits into the file, like you would do with a normal portrait-mod.

There's not much to figure out here. You don't even have to write your own mod, just copy mine and replace the pictures.

So not only are you living up to your redtext, you're not answering my original problem. I want to know how to change robot portraits on a per-species basis, so that, for example, my floating squids also floating squidlike robots, while my human neighbors keep their regular humanoid ones.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

at the date posted:

So not only are you living up to your redtext, you're not answering my original problem. I want to know how to change robot portraits on a per-species basis, so that, for example, my floating squids also floating squidlike robots, while my human neighbors keep their regular humanoid ones.

This is not currently possible, but the devs have said they want to add it in future.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Hahahaha what the gently caress, I'm building a ringworld section and I got an event about missing workers, then about some cute worms, then the worms turned into butterflies and ate my workers.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Mister Adequate posted:

Hahahaha what the gently caress, I'm building a ringworld section and I got an event about missing workers, then about some cute worms, then the worms turned into butterflies and ate my workers.

Next time, set your charges and blow the place.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm returning to the game after a long time, without the new expansion. Started an Earth run, and I finally figured out how to change "war philosophy" so 2 other empires would join my federation. My allies then started a war with my neighbors (with my permission) that I have no idea how to pursue -- basically i send my fleet in and kill a couple mining stations, and then the enemy fleet arrives and blows up a lot of my ships until i run away. In addition to that headache, now a larger and scarier neighbor has declared on me. Any advice for winning wars? My allies seem pretty useless in that regard.

Other questions: I can build Federation ships that are better than my own, should I just be spamming those out? And what's the advice for making the best use of sectors these days? The sector AI still seems really frustratingly dumb.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Can't address all of your questions but I will say that imo the federation fleet is more trouble than it's worth. You're going to build it up and then when the presidency goes to an AI empire, it will all get destroyed in some boondoggle.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Species Submission

https://pastebin.com/hazAvU3q

quote:

The fruits of civilization were easily picked by the Manesk, for evolution granted them a fellow race of sapients on their homeworld. Given an advantage in cunning and fecundity, the Manesk had no qualms about enslaving this race and using them for all the difficult and boring tasks that are needed for a society to function. Now, turning their baleful gaze starwards, these self-appointed masters and rulers seek new worlds to exploit and new people to subjugate.

Tomorrow I'll probably poke around and see how well I can approximate the races from my novel, should hopefully provide at least a couple!

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

How do I make people like me?

Oh, and also how do I make Empires in Stellaris be more agreeable to various deals and agreements?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
holy moly worm-in-waiting is awesome

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
You'll have to trade with them. Specifically, you need to make trade deals they'll like/accept. Also maintaining various pacts(Even the basic non-aggression pact) will help over time. But it's a case of 'you'll have to make the first move' which can be troublesome when there's so many other things eating up your time and minerals. If you can make trades, make them. But often, most won't.

If they or you are a friendly-type empire, it's easier.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I find that gifting even just a single mineral per month for 30 years is usually enough to get you into "cordial" relations with most empires, and unless you're in the very first few years of the game 1 mineral is nothing. From there you get research agreements, non-aggression pacts, etc. to start building trust and make them like you long term.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So how does the cost for consumer goods actually get calculated with respect to sectors, do they pay for it themselves? I guess that's how you'd want it in an optimal scenario, but the sector AI seems to love building only up to neutral minerals, which stops them from building anything else unless you give them a ton of minerals every few months. Which you can only do 100 at a time (why can I not Shift-Click that button?).

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Bought utopia, it made the game much better IMO.

Is leviathan worth it? Last i heard it didn't add that much, but if it works well with utopia I don't want to miss out.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Tried out the xenophobe pacifist, and holy hell do you crank out unity like its nothing.

Not really sure how I should be expanding. Haven't really found much for prespace races to uplift and enslave, I can't really start wars, and now things are starting to get tight with my neighbors.

I've started backing the militarist faction, and I'm up to about 40% but I have no idea what that actually does.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

So how does the cost for consumer goods actually get calculated with respect to sectors, do they pay for it themselves? I guess that's how you'd want it in an optimal scenario, but the sector AI seems to love building only up to neutral minerals, which stops them from building anything else unless you give them a ton of minerals every few months. Which you can only do 100 at a time (why can I not Shift-Click that button?).

I've found the Sector AI only has a problem with 0 mineral production if they're trying to build up from scratch, it just can't balance building up other resources with a positive mineral balance to keep building. If I give them a established planet or two and then add new planets as needed, it seems to do fine.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I apologize if this kinda thing has been posted and discussed, my brother sent me this and found it extremely funny.

E: based on the next post, this is a major spoiler. So, just be warned. I'm sorry.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 9, 2017

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

I apologize if this kinda thing has been posted and discussed, my brother sent me this and found it extremely funny.

Massive spoilers for the Shroud here, for the record

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

MisterBibs posted:

Well, you can't say you weren't warned. Neat, though.

edit: ...is that a fleet power of one million?

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 9, 2017

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
So... how do you eat other races? Is it gated by tech, or do you need Utopia?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think you need Utopia for the new types of slavery and purging, which includes eating.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
So in my latest game I found/did the Old Gods event chain, it now makes you Fanatic Authoritarian/Spiritualist, Imperial Authority, with Imperial Cult/Police State civics.

It even got rid of the former factions.

I wonder what happens if you start it after you did the robot ascension, because it auto-outlawed robots.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

Not really sure how I should be expanding. Haven't really found much for prespace races to uplift and enslave, I can't really start wars, and now things are starting to get tight with my neighbors.

I've started backing the militarist faction, and I'm up to about 40% but I have no idea what that actually does.

Backing increases attraction, making them more influential, so you can embrace later. However, embracing will turn off the Unity hose from inner perfection if you lose pacifism.

I'm finding that private colony ships are particularly amazing early on. Since that uses energy credits to colonize instead of minerals, it's one less thing competing for your mineral budget, and snowballs nicely since reactors make credits on their own.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

100 degrees Calcium posted:

How do I make people like me?

Oh, and also how do I make Empires in Stellaris be more agreeable to various deals and agreements?

Liberate the gently caress out of them, they'll love you.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Liberate the gently caress out of them, they'll love you.

Unless you're a xenophobe. Then they'll still hate you.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

MisterBibs posted:

E: based on the next post, this is a major spoiler. So, just be warned. I'm sorry.

Holy loving poo poo. Getting some serious WH40k vibes off this.

BenRGamer posted:

Well, you can't say you weren't warned. Neat, though.

edit: ...is that a fleet power of one million?

Look at the lower left corner, it's actually just shy of 2M. That one thing is more powerful than the all the fleets of the Unbidden when they snowball real hard.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 9, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

MisterBibs posted:

this is so loving cool but, yes, HUGE SPOILERS

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The worst thing happened to me, I was really getting into a game and then the victory screen came up :(

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
All i want to do is make everyone robots. What extradimensional horror have I offended that hides synthetics from me?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Mehrunes posted:

All i want to do is make everyone robots. What extradimensional horror have I offended that hides synthetics from me?

Having clicked that link a little bit up the page, take my word for it that extradimensional horrors could do far worse to you.

But nah, sometimes it's frustrating as hell how long it can take for a tech you need to pop up. I was dying for Mega Engineering to come up in my last game and just couldn't get it. It really sucked.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

GunnerJ posted:

This is cool as gently caress. Any plans to give them their own little starting quests like the CoM gets? Could make for a neat mod in its own right.

Possibly! I've got some time off over the easter weekend, maybe that'd be a cool little project.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

TheCog posted:

Bought utopia, it made the game much better IMO.

Is leviathan worth it? Last i heard it didn't add that much, but if it works well with utopia I don't want to miss out.

I bought Leviathans along with Utopia, and I'm glad I did. The leviathans themselves are all weird and entertaining, and the city-state trading post thingies blend well with Utopia's additions.

I've been absolutely enamored with Stellaris since Utopia came out. My one small complaint is that the Unity rewards have benefited me too well, to the point where I think I'm going to reach victory before I'm able to build a single megastructure. On the plus side, my kickass cyborgs are conceptually awesome enough that I'm enjoying the xeno curbstomp.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

So I just noticed that the planetary capital building thing no longer gives food/mineral but now supplies energy/unity. Which means I've been kneecapping myself by still placing my colony in the old spot.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I need a bit of advice abut early corvette-level wars. I restarted the game because I thought I hosed up something but the second time it went exactly the same. Basically I can't move forward after taking the first planet. There is a big initial clash with our standing fleets which I win and than the survivors bomb and help capture a planet. To move forward I need to get them back up to at least 1500 which I can't do because AI rebuilds and sends a fleet which I destroy while taking casualties sending me back to square 1. This is a stalemate that I can't figure out. Should I try building destroyers? Unless I'm missing something they are as bad as they always were, not powerful enough hull to be a tank and don't have corevette evasion.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That feeling when you realise that you and your friends playing multiplayer in a federation are not the Rebellion from Star Wars, but the Sons of Anarchy.

And instead of selling guns you're eating people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

MadJackal posted:

I bought Leviathans along with Utopia, and I'm glad I did. The leviathans themselves are all weird and entertaining, and the city-state trading post thingies blend well with Utopia's additions.

I've been absolutely enamored with Stellaris since Utopia came out. My one small complaint is that the Unity rewards have benefited me too well, to the point where I think I'm going to reach victory before I'm able to build a single megastructure. On the plus side, my kickass cyborgs are conceptually awesome enough that I'm enjoying the xeno curbstomp.

Same. Despite getting all hyped up at release, Stellaris didn't click with me straight away. I'm glad I've let these few patches and DLC releases come by before trying again. This feels like the game I was hoping for in the first place.

• Locked thread