Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Chasiubao posted:

Christ Angara Avenger is fun. I was competitive in Silver at level 3 just with judicious use of grenades and stealth :allears:

Protip you can be competitive on gold with just abou anything as long as the custom mission buffs a gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Does it take a lot more time to gain XP this patch or is it just that krogan gladiators are not super great until a certain point? Up to lvl 16 and even running gold missions XP grinds take forever.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Digirat posted:

I got the soned and ha ha it can't hit the broad side of a barn while doing a couple pixels of damage per shot to a basic enemy's health bar.
Really? I saw a pair of soldiers using them not long after I started multiplayer and they were just melting stuff.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

neonbregna posted:

Protip you can be competitive on gold with just abou anything

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Really? I saw a pair of soldiers using them not long after I started multiplayer and they were just melting stuff.

Soldiers are pretty much great with just about any weapon.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Dilb posted:

Actually killing guys with powers is relatively tough compared to ME3, and everyone can use a free "don't die now" every 10 seconds. The Asari Adept also gets shield back for every kill in annihilation's radius, so they're getting shield back anyway if things are working correctly.

It's not that hard when your an asari adept lol. The asari adept is best when she can regen her shields any way possible. And the free "don't die now" ability is a pair of training wheels for scrubs.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Salarian Infiltrator owns. Being able to get stupid amounts of experience by constantly reviving lovely teamates owns. Being invisible and throwing a couple grenades on a tough enemy then draining their shield is awesome.

But so far the best thing about the character is how the invis dodge completely messes with AI.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

evilmiera posted:

Does it take a lot more time to gain XP this patch or is it just that krogan gladiators are not super great until a certain point? Up to lvl 16 and even running gold missions XP grinds take forever.

Xp curve is slower in general because you don't prestige characters. It takes a long time past level 15.

Don't forget to use your xp boosting consumables.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Dilb posted:

Actually killing guys with powers is relatively tough compared to ME3
Yeah. It's pretty sad when the most optimal use for for singularity is to loving punch things in it.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Singularity also takes so loving long to recharge, I'm spoiled after playing vanguard to almost 20. Asari Adept owns but I can't get into the human one.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Stickman posted:

It's 23 extra points (62 at rank I to 85 at rank X, including the 3 automatically placed in active powers). Not sure how those are split across the 5 ranks that boost points, though.

So you have to get the class you want 10 times to do the ol' me3 builds, eh. Well, I'm glad I like the Human Sentinel.

Kaysette posted:

Singularity also takes so loving long to recharge, I'm spoiled after playing vanguard to almost 20. Asari Adept owns but I can't get into the human one.

It was much faster in 3, and that felt great. Suckin' every dude into a black hole was a good time.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

:raise: Hey, how should we sort our big lists of icons?
:downs: Oh, alphabetically should be fine!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

exquisite tea posted:

It's unfortunate that the same forgiveness people give to indie titles in early access have now somehow transferred over to AAA games from big studios, where people are essentially shelling out $60-120 in season passes and super deluxe editions to beta test games because they can't wait another drat month to play them. It's pretty drat shameful that Andromeda was released in the state it was and sadder to see people defend a really inferior release like they were some underdog indie studio with a shoestring budget.

This is a good post and I agree with it completely. All we need now is that ign fuckhead to tell us how ungrateful we are and it'll be complete

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

On what difficulty? I trialed it on silver with cryo ammo II, the AR barrel, and a soldier with maxed turbocharge. It took somewhere in the ballpark of 25 goddamn bullets to kill the standard remnant enemy when close enough for them to actually hit, leaving you exposed for the entire duration, and the accuracy decays so badly that my predator would out-DPS it past about 10 meters, and this is against the enemy with by far the biggest hitboxes. Furthermore the predator weighed 3, and the soned weighed 60, which is so heavy that it will send characters without increased capacity well into the red by itself.

If you thought it was the laser accurate version the anointed use, think again. This is just another AR that is hosed over by the massive accuracy decay they added. Without considering the ridiculous weight, it does at least outperform some of the other shotguns and pistols I've tried at very close range. But you're better off just using the talon if that's what you want.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 9, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

evilmiera posted:

I used a level 8 character on gold with a +100% experience booster. After winning she was level 9. By the mid teens you can do a gold and still not even get a level. They made the leveling really stupidly grindy this time.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Digirat posted:

I used a level 8 character on gold with a +100% experience booster. After winning she was level 9. By the mid teens you can do a gold and still not even get a level. They made the leveling really stupidly grindy this time.

And even that would be acceptable if annoying if it wasn't for having to unlock each class ten times

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Two Finger posted:

And even that would be acceptable if annoying if it wasn't for having to unlock each class ten times

Between that and needing to get the card ten times to get all the points I don't really think I'm going to bother much with the rarer classes.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Some Rs and URs are pretty good even at rank 1. Off the top of my head the angarans and asari duelist and human kineticist, krogan gladiator, can all hold their own in gold lvls 13ish+. I have a rank 1 duelist myself and although it's not as crazy as my rank 10 human vanguard it's close enough for the skillpoint differences.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I've unlocked 3 URs, all weapons - the Piranha is OK but the Dhan and PAW are pretty useless at level 1, and maybe just in general with whatever they did to the weapons in multi to make them all suck. The PAW (which was my favorite weapon for Ryder in the campaign) runs out of juice extremely quickly and the Dhan doesn't hurt at all for something that fires an arced projectile with a very limited clip size and spare ammo pool. I think it's a little ridiculous that there's already 5 UR classes too, before they added the Salarian Architect there were actually more UR classes than R.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RBA Starblade posted:

How are you all speccing the human engineer? 66653 with the 3 in the turret (seems a bit weak) and 5 in one of the passives?

Honestly I'd just leave the 1 point in the turret and never think about it again. Yeah, the turret can sometimes draw aggro, but not reliably (RIP Decoy 2012-2017) and obviously the damage is "lol" on Gold.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

I made a video of my level 20 Infiltrator using a Lanat with a Targeting VI 4 and a Sniper Rifle Amp 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Esa8hk9MU

MarshyMcFly fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 9, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Having tried it last night I deffo prefer a Lanat II to a Vanquisher I.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

precision posted:

Having tried it last night I deffo prefer a Lanat II to a Vanquisher I.

It hits like a truck. The Vanquisher having the larger clip makes up for it though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So here's something to NOT do (or do, lmao) as a vanguard: If an adept uses singularity on more than 3 things, do not use shockwave on it then charge it. The game crashed processing all the explosions lol

Rip my last experience booster

e: Wait did the servers go down I can't reconnect

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 10, 2017

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

So here's something to NOT do (or do, lmao) as a vanguard: If an adept uses singularity on more than 3 things, do not use shockwave on it then charge it. The game crashed processing all the explosions lol

Rip my last experience booster

Same here. I think so.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

They've been down for me (and a handful of other people on reddit) all day. Bioware tweeted about an hour ago that the problem was fixed, but now it looks like they merely managed to turn a regional network problem into a global one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Unfortunate, as I'd just started trying the multiplayer today. The basic human sentinel seems to be fine for an entry level class, priming and detonating her own tech combos with a charger for gunning.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Unfortunate, as I'd just started trying the multiplayer today. The basic human sentinel seems to be fine for an entry level class, priming and detonating her own tech combos with a charger for gunning.
Don't get too attached to detonating combos. They do virtually no damage on gold. There's a reason everyone's using either the vanquisher or melee.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

g0del posted:

Don't get too attached to detonating combos. They do virtually no damage on gold. There's a reason everyone's using either the vanquisher or melee.

I never played gold in ME3 so that's okay. Sentinel seems okay on bronze, and it's sufficient to start unlocking stuff and getting better guns.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

g0del posted:

That really sucks because combos were the best part of ME3 multiplayer. Just an endless chain of combos destroying everything. Also that biotic combo sound effect was :discourse:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I bumped into a host who was using a 0 cooldowns cheat so I charged around with an asari adept teammate, using infinite concussive shots to detonate everything in her field as fast as possible.

With 0 cooldowns, the combos were still slower than just sniping or headbutting everything to death. Ragdolling idiots everywhere was fun and the spectacle of combos is great, but the damage is just pathetic. Like it's so bad that I'm not sure it would be overboard to literally multiply it by 5. I'm pretty sure that would still be less damage than in mass effect 3, if you consider a raider equivalent to a cerberus trooper.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

MarshyMcFly posted:

I made a video of my level 20 Infiltrator using a Lanat with a Targeting VI 4 and a Sniper Rifle Amp 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Esa8hk9MU

cloak dodge is so much better than the other dodges, even biotic blink, it's not even funny.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
They had a combo buff Apex mission a while ago, and in that the combos were okay.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well, to be fair, while combos do less damage this time, you can much more easily do combos in this one. You don't even have to try very hard to have a constant stream of tech/fire/biotic explosions, whereas in ME3MP they were either somewhat rare or you had a team specced specifically for explosions.

Then again, in ME3MP some powers actually did good damage (RIP Dark Channel 2012-2017, though I hear Invasion is basically MEA's version of it?)

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Played a few games last night with some bros, and there were detonations every few seconds.
At best, you'll fire a guy off into the loving atmosphere when you hit them with a biotic combo, so that's something.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

precision posted:

Well, to be fair, while combos do less damage this time, you can much more easily do combos in this one. You don't even have to try very hard to have a constant stream of tech/fire/biotic explosions, whereas in ME3MP they were either somewhat rare or you had a team specced specifically for explosions.

Then again, in ME3MP some powers actually did good damage (RIP Dark Channel 2012-2017, though I hear Invasion is basically MEA's version of it?)

Yeah, and for the longest time, you could only get tech/fire/cryo explosions if you killed the target with the detonating power, so the only people who could detonate on a regular basis were biotics. And even after that change, tech/cryo combos weren't as powerful as biotic/fire combos.

This time around, with the looser restrictions on comboing, and the existence of powers that can detonate and prime, I think they're going for quantity not quality.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

I never played gold in ME3 so that's okay. Sentinel seems okay on bronze, and it's sufficient to start unlocking stuff and getting better guns.
Gold isn't this insane challenge that only the best of the best of the best can play, and it'll take forever to unlock anything decent only playing bronze. Play bronze to get to know what the different enemies are and how they work, then move up to silver once you hit around level 10 on your character. Then when you're doing good on silver (or if you pick up a vanquisher) try a gold match. Preferably outlaws, since they're the easiest of the three types.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Gold is perfectly playable at level 1 with any class as long as you have a Vanquisher or Black Widow, just tack on a couple boosters.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The sound bug is the worst, there goes my extraction bonus...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pretty sure they didn't mention it but the krogan rage graphics were greatly improved in the patch. Far less intrusive in general, and there's no longer an epileptic seizure-inducing flash when it's about to run out.

• Locked thread