Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I've gotta break up this guitar and pedal lovefest with some delicious analog via my new Korg Minilogue. This is my first step into analog synthesis after messing around with several digital synths via Ableton. People were right, it's hard to explain why but physically turning knobs is just so much more fun.

I also bought a new Scarlett 18i8 Audio Interface so that I can run MIDI out of Ableton into the Minilogue, and then route the audio back into Ableton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

Lawen posted:

Hi, new 335(ish) friend! I got a similar urge a week or two ago and bought myself this beauty.

That's a nice one!

My Eastman T386 arrived today:

First impressions:
For the price it's more than you could ask for. Low action, super nice neck that's at least a little rolled and it's pretty as hell. Volume and tone pots are surprisingly good.

Bad parts?

The part between the neck pickup and the neck isn't finished. Also the pickups are kind of mediocre.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Postmaster GBS posted:

The Tumnus has been on my list for a while and I finally grabbed one. Also super pumped for the Chase Bliss Gravitas coming in the mail tomorrow. First of those pedals I'll have played with and there seems to be no shortage of neat things to do with the controls / parameters.

People love their Tumnuses. Must be a great sound, I've never heard one.

The Jext Telez White I ordered just shipped and I mean holy gently caress listen to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaJDYYxQ6Ug

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I like the casual 'just happen to have a Travis Bean' in there too.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The Jext Telez White I ordered just shipped and I mean holy gently caress

That OD w/ the fuzz sounds really sick.

This came today:

I made some space on my board and put it on there with no intention of playing. Oops. Ended up loving around with it for a solid hour. This thing is insane and I've probably uncovered 3% of what it can actually do (can't wait to dip into the multi-tremolo or harmonic tremolo stuff that I've seen).

It sounds so shimmery and warbly. Wicked cool.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

sensy v2.0 posted:

I've been thinking about getting a 335 style guitar for a while, and I found this Eastman for a reasonable sum:

It's on it's way now and I still haven't figured out how to tell my girlfriend I bought yet another guitar.

Which model is that? If it is the t185 then it is closer to a es330 since that is fully hollow. Either way I bet you will love it - just watch out for feedback if it is fully hollow. Also enjoy the 1 3/4" nut - I love the spacing on Eastmans.

Edit: whoops, only older posts were showing for me and I didn't see your newer one. Yeah, Eastman pickups are mediocre on a lot of models. I got a Kent Armstrong PAF on mine and it is really sweet.

rio fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 7, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Remulak posted:

I like the casual 'just happen to have a Travis Bean' in there too.

haha yea how I didn't comment on that I don't know. GIMME DAT BEAN!

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

It's a real good guitar.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Postmaster GBS posted:

That OD w/ the fuzz sounds really sick.

This came today:

I made some space on my board and put it on there with no intention of playing. Oops. Ended up loving around with it for a solid hour. This thing is insane and I've probably uncovered 3% of what it can actually do (can't wait to dip into the multi-tremolo or harmonic tremolo stuff that I've seen).

It sounds so shimmery and warbly. Wicked cool.

sweet screaming gently caress, that's a row of dipswitches across the top of the thing.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Allen Wren posted:

sweet screaming gently caress, dipswitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww6wnjS2e_w

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Allen Wren posted:

sweet screaming gently caress, that's a row of dipswitches across the top of the thing.

Most Chase Bliss pedals have these, and they're all awesome.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
ignore

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 5, 2021

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

GreatGreen posted:

Jesus, did they really need to put that kind of distraction in the video just so they could tell themselves they're being progressive? I could hardly concentrate at all on what was actually being said.

I mean seriously, who the hell makes a video about audio equipment using a guitar painted in that awful shade of Latino Lowrider Purple.

Yea I was like forget the pedal I want to lick that guitar.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I had been debating getting this and finally pulled the trigger. It is a custom build put together by a guy in Holland. Less than the price of the parts - got it for $465 shipped. I am psyched to play it but have to wait for the international shipping. I'll post a better picture when I get it - he said that it is less orange irl. I would have preferred silver hardware but he went gold because the PAF guitars used and based the build on is gold. I might rout in a bridge pickup but this is a jazz tele and in that capacity i will never use it. I do have a Lollar special T sitting around unused though...

Specs:
Very light weight total guitar weighs 2,7-2,8 kg so that is just around 6 lbs
Body was made-in-the-USA by Mattos Custom Guitars of Maine. It is well-aged pine and is 1-1/2” just like the very first 1948 Fender Esquire's were. My rationale though was to keep the weight down. Pine is just as a perfect furniture -oops- I mean tone wood as swamp ash is
Body is not lacquered but has a shellac varnish
Gibson humbucker came from an L-5ces, which I got from our fellow forum member Hot Ford Coupe. The pickup has the PAF sticker underneath and soldered braided wire (not the modern plug)
USA made Lic. Fender neck, rosewood board, modern 12" radius, medium jumbo frets, bone nut, and a modern width measuring 1-11/16” (43 mm) in stead of vintage 1-5/8 tele width
Kluson tuners, all gold hardware. Nothing fancy boutiquish as I didnt want the price to explode
Hardtail bridge with 6 saddles for intonation, set on an ebony riser
Standard electronics to go with a humbucker so 500k pots, and a .022 cap (Russian PIO)
Electrosocket input so wont loosen like the normal Tele jacks do. A loose input jack is the only thing I hate about my genuine fender Tele (which is a 1960 slab board that costed 30-fold; you think they would have gotten it right for that price)
Set up with 012 Pyramid rounds

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Bought a PRS S2 Standard 24 in McCarty Tobacco

Great guitar, but has possibly the thinnest finish you could put on a guitar and still call it finished. It's already chipped in a few places (but not enough places to be cool yet).

rio
Mar 20, 2008

What is that neck pickup, a p90 with a metal cover?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm guessing a Phat Cat. P90 in humbucker form. They sound pretty gnarly in the best way from what I've heard.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

rio posted:

What is that neck pickup, a p90 with a metal cover?

Like Kilometers Davis said, it's got a Phat Cat in the neck and a special metal covered Nazgul in the bridge (both Seymour Duncan). I might be one of the only people using this combo, but I swear by it. Looks and sounds killer.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Oh neat. I had heard of those but didn't know that was what they were. That is tempting...I didn't know anyone made a p90 that fits in a humbucker slot...

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

rio posted:

Oh neat. I had heard of those but didn't know that was what they were. That is tempting...I didn't know anyone made a p90 that fits in a humbucker slot...

BG Pickups makes a set that's praised pretty highly. All the boutique guys usually do it.

have a set of BG in my Strat

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

Jesus, did they really need to put that kind of distraction in the video just so they could tell themselves they're being progressive? I could hardly concentrate at all on what was actually being said.

I mean seriously, who the hell makes a video about audio equipment using a guitar painted in that awful shade of Latino Lowrider Purple.

No joke, I have that exact guitar. It's a MIM strat, and I picked mine up for $175 brand new off craigslist because they got it as a gift and hated the color so loving badly. I've been meaning to refinish it or cover it in stickers or something, but I bought it almost ten years ago and it still just sits there being ugly.

It's in a crate being shipped from Australia to my new place in Japan right now or I'd post a pic.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

rio posted:

If you want to go cheaper, GFS has humbucker sized p90s as well. I've used the Mean 90 and really liked the sound.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
It's prevalent enough that I had to dig around a bit to find a P-90 sized P-90 for my Epi SG.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Leck posted:

If you want to go cheaper, GFS has humbucker sized p90s as well. I've used the Mean 90 and really liked the sound.

Or if you want to do it right: http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/Hum-90.shtml

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I was just browsing around there a little and then :stare:

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

The Leck posted:

I was just browsing around there a little and then :stare:

His pickups rule, I have his humbucker-sized WRHB in the neck of my G&L tele and it sounds so good.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Professor Science posted:

His pickups rule, I have his humbucker-sized WRHB in the neck of my G&L tele and it sounds so good.

Why do you guys have to do this just when I'm about to order the GFS one for my Yamaha Tele? :argh:

Still probably going to go with the cheaper option, though, since it's not my current stage or recording guitar.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Quick dust-and-cat-fur photo of my latest thing, a Catalinbread Topanga that I got a couple weeks ago. Fun as gently caress; super cool to run in front of a distortion. Extremely lush and springy. You can push the "mix" knob so far that it cuts the guitar out entirely and leaves only its reverberation, and it has its own built-in preamp as well.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Boy meets pedal.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

One of the only guitars I kept is a purple MIM strat, love it, love the color too, you don't have to love it I'm jealous anyway

Don't even have the Japanese strat in my forum pic now but I kept the purple one. I like it better w black hardware & pickguard (was mirrored at one time, but it was also really cheap, so that rubbed off pretty quick)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone got an opinion of the recent Vox Phantom reissue? I've got a line on one for $140 and it's drat tempting.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Answering my own question: it plays like a cheap piece of poo poo.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
The 1960 Not-a-Les-Paul arrived:

Needs some fret work, and I've got better tuners and pickups on the way, but I'm not complaining for $250.

Shortly after unpacking it, this happened:

Got the photo on the third try, but it took a bit of time to edit.

Bass Ackwards fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 15, 2017

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Nothing special, but bought a Peavey Vypyr 15 at the pawn shop for $10

Was tagged "AS-IS NEEDS WORK" but as far as I can tell it's fine other than some scrapes and dings.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Nice find!

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I just picked up a Zoom Q2n to record rehearsals and shows:

(my fidget cube arrived the same day)

This little sucker can do some pretty great recordings. We had been using the drummer's cell phone as it had the least lovely camera, but this is in another league. Clear sound through the whole range, from bass and kick up to sibilance and cymbals. Video quality is a bit worse than the recent GoPros, but this costs less by a wide margin. For $200 US including a 64GB high speed microSD card, it's pretty drat good. And it has a little screen so you can tell what is included in the shot!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Carbohydrates posted:

Quick dust-and-cat-fur photo of my latest thing, a Catalinbread Topanga that I got a couple weeks ago. Fun as gently caress; super cool to run in front of a distortion. Extremely lush and springy. You can push the "mix" knob so far that it cuts the guitar out entirely and leaves only its reverberation, and it has its own built-in preamp as well.

nice! I got the Talisman as my main reverb and I'm a little put out by just how much hiss the reverb adds if you adjust the mix towards that super wet setting - does it happen with the topanga also?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's pretty easy for a reverb to amplify normally subtle and quiet noise from a previous place in your chain. It might be worth checking all of those areas before worrying about the reverb making a hiss. I've had that issue a few times and it always drives me crazy before I realize it's not the reverb, only the natural effect of the reverb on the hiss.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hey, Kilometers Davis, I'd like to talk some stupid music poo poo with you, but you don't have plat. Would you like to? I'll be happy to hook you up with a gift cert. but we need some way for me to get it to you. Let me know, ok?

So to stay on topic, I don't have pictures but I do have news.

Andrew Machrone (of BillMAudio) tells me he's shipping my Blues Jr. mods to me this week. I have all the tools together to do the mod-work, and I'm kicking around an idea. Since I'm already planning to record before and after audio clips, and I've seen what's online from the Blues Jr. mod community, I'm thinking about posting a public YouTube video of this process. It's basically meant to be the "before" clips, a description of the mods I have bought and why, some video of the installation/assembly-work, followed by the "after" clips.
I'm not happy with how the last clip came out. The amp is bright, but not vanishingly tiny like that last recording. I have real trouble micing up this amp because I don't own any reference monitors so I have to record something and listen to it on more than one system before I can tell if it's representative of how the amp actually sounds. It's a ponderous way of doing things and it's been a substantial roadblock. On top of that, I only have a couple afternoons a week to even try, because I live in an apartment and I don't want to aggravate my neighbors. I'm not able to crank the amp but I at least need to let it breathe a little bit.

I played my Tele through it for the first time. It's kismet. They love each other. To my ears, it's a very "Fender" sound. With the Fralin set in it, it's got surprising depth even with the bridge pickup alone (it's 5% overwound with a bass/baseplate.) I've also been playing the old JEM77FP, RG770DX, and my home-built Strat-style through it (haven't tried the Talman with the Joe Barden/Danny Gatton pickups yet). The amp is a joy. Turn on the OCD in front and it's a little beast.

I really think this amp sounds pretty drat good stock (clean and dirty), but I suspect it'll really come alive with the most important mods: the master power-supply cap, the stiffening capacitor, adjustable bias, the tone-stack mods, and perhaps most importantly the new TO20B output transformer.

I have never owned a tube amp with a convincing, sustaining clean tone before. This little guy has that for sure. And the max gain is a little less than my tweed Peaveys, which also have 3 12AX7 preamp sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

beep boop

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 18, 2017