Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

punchymcpunch posted:

the dad from family matters?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-navy-korea-idUSKBN17A0V5

quote:

By Idrees Ali | WASHINGTON

A U.S. Navy strike group will be moving toward the western Pacific Ocean near the Korean peninsula as a show of force, a U.S. official told Reuters on Saturday, as concerns grow about North Korea's advancing weapons program.

Earlier this month North Korea tested a liquid-fueled Scud missile which only traveled a fraction of its range.

The strike group, called Carl Vinson, includes an aircraft carrier and will make its way from Singapore toward the Korean peninsula, according to the official, who was not authorized to speak to the media and requested anonymity.

"We feel the increased presence is necessary," the official said, citing North Korea's worrisome behavior.

The news was first reported by Reuters.

In a statement late Saturday, the U.S. Navy's Third Fleet said the strike group had been directed to sail north, but it did not specify the destination. The military vessels will operate in the Western Pacific rather than making previously planned port visits to Australia, it added.

This year North Korean officials, including leader Kim Jong Un, have repeatedly indicated an intercontinental ballistic missile test or something similar could be coming, possibly as soon as April 15, the 105th birthday of North Korea's founding president and celebrated annually as "the Day of the Sun."

Earlier this week U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping met in Florida, where Trump pressed his counterpart to do more to curb North Korea's nuclear program.

Trump's national security aides have completed a review of U.S. options to try to curb North Korea's nuclear and missile programs. These include economic and military measures but lean more toward sanctions and increased pressure on Beijing to rein in its reclusive neighbor.

Although the option of pre-emptive military strikes on North Korea is not off the table, the review prioritizes less-risky steps and de-emphasizes direct military action.

Trump spoke with South Korea's acting President Hwang Kyo-ahn on Friday, the White House said on Saturday in a statement which did not mention the strike group.

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/327983-navy-strike-group-moving-toward-korean-peninsula-report

quote:

BY MAX GREENWOOD - 04/08/17 08:44 PM EDT

The United States is moving a Navy strike group toward the Korean Peninsula amid rising concerns over North Korea's weapons program, the Navy said in a statement on Saturday.

The Navy's Carl Vinson strike group left Singapore on Saturday and will move into the Western Pacific Ocean near the Korean Peninsula.

A U.S. official told Reuters that the move is intended to put pressure on North Korea to curb its recent weapons tests

"We feel the increased presence is necessary," the official said.

North Korea has conducted a number of weapons tests this year. The hermit kingdom on Tuesday launched a Scud missile, which went only a short distance before crashing into the sea east of the Korean Peninsula.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has indicated that the country could test an intercontinental ballistic missile at any time.

President Trump met with Chinese President Xi Jinping this week at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida, where Trump reportedly urged Xi to take a tougher stance on North Korea.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has said that military action against North Korea is an "option," though Trump's national security aides have stressed economic sanctions.

Trump spoke by phone with acting South Korean President Hwang Kyo-Ahn on Saturday, agreeing to "stay in close touch regarding North Korea," according to a White House statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Dork457 posted:

so what does soros actually do

has money, funds business ventures, is a jew

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

punchymcpunch posted:

how does tom hanks process information? how does ed balls?

Game? :(

Game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfxXug5ZMdk

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Dork457 posted:

so what does soros actually do

hes a billionaire

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

basically the alt-right finally have an excuse for all of trump's obvious flaws, and it's, of course, his jewish son in law

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

is Walsh the guy that refuses to pay chlid support, or is he the one that's living off of alimony?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Hypha posted:

I think Ivanka is just fine pushing daddy's button all on her own

Someone needs to do that Simpsons "It's like I'm wearing nothing at all" gif except Flanders is Ivanka and Homer is Trump oggling her

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
this MtP panel is so bad that David Brooks is the reasonable one

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

is Walsh the guy that refuses to pay chlid support, or is he the one that's living off of alimony?

i think he might be both?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Hanx

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

wow thats some cage level crying

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
dissappointed that we're only getting Boeing ads on MtP, was hoping for some Raytheon

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
i refuse to believe that anyone on this forum is literate and you can't convince me otherwise because i can't read what you're writing

i transcribe all my posts via google voice

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

to be fair to trump

snl sucks rear end lol

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Why does this trust fund baby I elected associate with trust fund babies?!?!

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Did Trump give them those numbers because shee-it

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
https://twitter.com/LouiseMensch/status/851044052044845056
lol

Eleven Eleven
Nov 12, 2016

deathbysnusnu posted:

C'mon general summarize the middle east's security dynamics in 3 bullet points. UGGGGGHHHHHH being president is so hard!

Trump approaching middle east policy is like watching a horse try and fix a merry-go-round.

Let me try (from the perspective of a Trump Administration official):

- The Brits carved up the Ottoman Empire wrong at the end of WW1, so we ended up with countries that had no historical precedent and a wide mix of demographics; which is a problem when the two main branches of Islam, the Shia (Iran and parts of Iraq) and the Sunni (everyone else), completely hate each other. It's okay though, because they all hate Israel the most and we can use that to our advantage.

- Within the Sunni majority areas there's a divide between secular/moderate Sunnis and radical Sunnis. The radicals are like Evangelical Christians and the moderates are like the Catholics. We like certain radical nations/groups, like Saudi Arabia, but dislike others like ISIS. Likewise, we like certain secular/moderates like Jordan and Turkey and dislike others like Assad's Syria (and Iraq before we invaded). I've prepared a separate list for you complete with Pros and Cons.

- There are also lots of Christians, Jews and minority Muslim sects scattered across the region. No matter what you do, you will be hurting some of them unless we start taking refugees, which doesn't play well with your base. And since all the conflict in the region is mostly demographically aligned rather than strictly nation state, no amount of diplomacy or military action will solve this. Best of luck Mr. President.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

HailedUser posted:

- The Brits carved up the Ottoman Empire wrong at the end of WW1, so we ended up with countries that had no historical precedent and a wide mix of demographics; which is a problem when the two main branches of Islam, the Shia (Iran and parts of Iraq) and the Sunni (everyone else), completely hate each other. It's okay though, because they all hate Israel the most and we can use that to our advantage.

- Within the Sunni majority areas there's a divide between secular/moderate Sunnis and radical Sunnis. The radicals are like Evangelical Christians and the moderates are like the Catholics. We like certain radical nations/groups, like Saudi Arabia, but dislike others like ISIS. Likewise, we like certain secular/moderates like Jordan and Turkey and dislike others like Assad's Syria (and Iraq before we invaded). I've prepared a separate list for you complete with Pros and Cons.

- There are also lots of Christians, Jews and minority Muslim sects scattered across the region. No matter what you do, you will be hurting some of them unless we start taking refugees, which doesn't play well with your base. And since all the conflict in the region is mostly demographically aligned rather than strictly nation state, no amount of diplomacy or military action will solve this. Best of luck Mr. President.

jesus yak yak yak yak

one sentence per point, and make it short motor mouth

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Drone strikes are the mos aesthetically pleasing way to kill brown men, I'm tempted to cite a poem....

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
goddamn white people are so dumb lmao

but i am enjoying them all meltdown that Kushner is taking the place of bannon and preibus and poo poo

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

HailedUser posted:

I read it and enjoyed it but I'm not the target audience

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Yinlock posted:

jesus yak yak yak yak

all posts need to be like Trumps intelligence briefings.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HailedUser posted:

glass crater, bing bing bong so simple

well done steak with ketchup for lunch

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Drunkboxer posted:

Why does this trust fund baby I elected associate with trust fund babies?!?!

its not their fault they were born with the debilitating burden of wealth, you think trump likes not being able to read because he spent most of his life playing grabass and golf instead?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hypha posted:

I read it and enjoyed it but I'm not the target audience

who has time to read that 100 page novel when you've got deals to make

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Yinlock posted:

also if you're illiterate you probably shouldn't be the president even if it's through no fault of your own

literacy is kind of important

I don't understand people willing to go full woke for a person that literally made ableist impressions on the campaign trail

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Trump's gonna hitler this thing. Split our forces and send half to syria to gently caress it up and half to Korea to gently caress it up...I can already see him hunched over a table screaming "BANNON BANNON BANNON" to demand pictures because words suck and demanding non existent military units go elsewhere to gently caress some poo poo up

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
gently caress, now Brooks is pointing out how much of a misogynist Trump is and attacking the lady from the NEI and Rich from NRO

stop being a good person, dave, you're supposed to be a republican

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Yinlock posted:

who has time to read that 100 page novel when you've got deals to make

:negative:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Business Gorillas posted:

I don't understand people willing to go full woke for a person that literally made ableist impressions on the campaign trail

the left in america hates winning hth

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Eleven Eleven
Nov 12, 2016

Yinlock posted:

jesus yak yak yak yak

Fine, three sentences.

- The British hosed up and now the countries are all shaped wrong.

- Everyone hates everyone else because of ideology, and we like some of them, but completely arbitrarily and based off our selfish interests.

- No matter what you do you innocent people will die and everyone except for Neocons will hate you (and they already hate you for other reasons).

Eleven Eleven fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 9, 2017

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

How considerate, the clown shaved

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Welcome to Sunday, it's meet the press

*blows brains out*

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I like Chuck Todd's tie.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HailedUser posted:

Fine, three sentences.

- Everyone hates everyone else because of ideology, and we like some of them, but completely arbitrarily and based off our selfish interests.

- No matter what you do you innocent people will die and everyone except for Neocons will hate you (and they already hate you for other reasons).

Addamere posted:

glass crater, bing bing bong so simple

well done steak with ketchup for lunch

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

*leans into mic*

*shallow deoperationalized breaths*

actually its catsup, he wont eat ketchup. he can taste the difference.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

I can't believe Texas would end up voting for a vegetarian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

HailedUser posted:

Fine, three sentences.

Trump "So you're saying we should attack the British? Bigly! *mock brit accent* Tally ho and all that rot *whispers "I heard that on a tv show once"*"

• Locked thread