Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Gaz-L posted:

Getting caught up after letting stuff pile up for weeks, and finally made a dent into a massive backlog of Giant Days I got during a Comixology sale and I frickin' love this book. I'm sure part of it is simply because it's a comic about British university students, so it's more directly relateable to me as I fondly remember my own student days but the art is adoreable and the characters are flawed but remain likeable. Susan and McGraw breaking up because she wouldn't let him help her when she was overwhelmed and clearly let him slip down her priority list is very, very real in a way that isn't overtly melodramatic. A lot of other comics would've had one cheat on the other or lots of recrimination, but nope, it's handled in a funny, silly in the absurdist way the book dips into, but believeable way. (I'm only up to about #16, btw)

Giant Days is so good! It's been on my pull list since #4 and I love reading it every month. A good story told well with art that really complements the writing.

I just read King City by Brandon Graham and it is all kinds of great. The ultimate "nothing happens" story with fantastically detailed artwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Shovelmint posted:

Today I read the new Curse Words. Fun, and the resolution of problems from the end of issue 2 is certainly... magical.

There is magic in this world. :swoon:

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

As with every time someone mentions Giant Days, I will add my recommendation to read it. Since #1 I have bought every single issue, TPB, and I'm getting the Year One HC they're putting out over the summer. It is great.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Wow, that new issue of Savage Dragon escalated the nudity and sex pretty rapidly in just one issue. Was not ready for that, but I couldn't help but laugh my rear end off at the splash page of Malcolm Dragon fighting off a bunch of fire creatures with their fire cock and balls dangling everywhere.

New Stray Bullets had me grinning from cover to cover. Derek, Derek! RIDE ME LIKE AN OIL DERRICK. I hope this current arc never ends.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cloks posted:

Giant Days is so good! It's been on my pull list since #4 and I love reading it every month. A good story told well with art that really complements the writing.

I actually only just noticed the light Scott Pilgrim runner of Susan's enemy list. And I got caught up to current over the last few days and #18 and #20 might have my favourite gags of the whole series so far. (Susan's text in #18, plus the follow-up is hilarious, and the whole improv-ed Harlequin romance story that Esther sucks the others into while at IKEA in #20)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Really glad the new issue of Lazarus finally came out. The author's notes at the end mentioned they're launching a mini-series set in the world called Lazarus X+66 in July, with each issue focusing on a different character introduced in the comic so far.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Got around to reading Old Guard #2, and I'm way more excited for this plot-wise now. Got the first issue and stuck with it because of the art, but unlike the first issue the story starts to develop some neat threads in #2, and the art continues to be distinctive and beautiful.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Checked the first 3 Lumberjane trades out of the library. It starts a little cheesy and goofy, and probably continues that way, but the characters are so lovable you stop caring pretty quick. Great art, vibrant colors, and relentless fun and excitement. It's also hilarious. I've been reading it to my 3.5 year old, and enjoying it solo as well, and it just hits all the right notes. The marginless binding also makes the books look really great. With such a saturated palette and simple cartoony pencils, having the entire page be filled with art is really striking.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Rock Candy Mountain is sweet. It promised hobo fights, it delivered. Extremity issue 2 was fun. It promised nothing, and delivered some sweet looking action in a cool world.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Providence #12 wraps up Moore's Lovecraft universe stories in the only way it could end.

Uber Invasion progresses. Telekinesis, but no one can handle it? I'm thinking Leah.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Providence #12 wraps up Moore's Lovecraft universe stories in the only way it could end.

Uber Invasion progresses. Telekinesis, but no one can handle it? I'm thinking Leah.

Calling it now. The single Japanese battleship will carry the salvaged Little Boy from Hiroshima and detonate it in San Diego.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh man, I've been buying a bunch of stuff lately but not having time to read them, and I now have a good backlog of trades/graphic novels to go through on a rainy day.

My pile of goodness includes Autumnlands 1-2, Saga 7, Shutter 2-3, Prophet Earth War, Rat Queens 2-3, Grandville, The Incal, Nimona, and one or two others I'm forgetting.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Saga 7 is outstanding, it ranks with the best of Saga's arcs so far. I've got East of West 2-5 sitting upstairs thanks to the library. I was gonna grab Sweet Tooth from the library today, but the first trade (and only the first trade) was missing.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Synthbuttrange posted:

Telekinesis was my bet for where they'd go next, and the first seizure looked like it might have been that. But I'm not sure how to reconcile the second one with the soldier's bones bursting out with that idea. I'm not sure what it is.

Also, Leah is fully activated, so I'm not sure how they could use her - other than a synergistic approach with a TK soldier who uses her as a wrecking ball, anyway.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Eleanor & The Egret #1 felt very brief. Maybe I just already want more of this because the premise is intriguing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Neurosis posted:

Telekinesis was my bet for where they'd go next, and the first seizure looked like it might have been that. But I'm not sure how to reconcile the second one with the soldier's bones bursting out with that idea. I'm not sure what it is.

Also, Leah is fully activated, so I'm not sure how they could use her - other than a synergistic approach with a TK soldier who uses her as a wrecking ball, anyway.

I thought Leah had a few activations left and Steph lied and claimed she was fully activated to prevent further crippling her.

TK is my bet, but the power could be flight, affecting only the skeleton. :haw:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Synthbuttrange posted:

I thought Leah had a few activations left and Steph lied and claimed she was fully activated to prevent further crippling her.

No they shut her down early with a special dose. Additional doses of the catalyst would do nothing to her now, or worse, kill her.

I have no idea what kind of power this new formulation is going to give at this point.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm pretty sure Stephanie gave Leah one normal activation (I'd say halo but the Brits didn't have blitzmenschen). Poor Leah. Her motivations are similar to Sieglinde's, but she doesn't seem anywhere near as driven by pure revenge as opposed to liberation, and she hasn't had a single win.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Neurosis posted:

I'm pretty sure Stephanie gave Leah one normal activation (I'd say halo but the Brits didn't have blitzmenschen). Poor Leah. Her motivations are similar to Sieglinde's, but she doesn't seem anywhere near as driven by pure revenge as opposed to liberation, and she hasn't had a single win.

One of the covers for #6 is her pretty much munching on a German tankman. The covers has overall been quite inconsequential but who knows what she'll be up to in the future.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I started reading East of West and really liked it. How is the rest of the series?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'd say it's worth a read but the last few issues have been kind of dragging on moving the plot forward I felt and the long wait in between issue releases makes it even worse

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I got the first trade of Wic+Div really cheap, and I immediately went out and got up through Vol 4.

What a good fuckin' comic this is!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Shovelmint posted:

Saga 7 is outstanding, it ranks with the best of Saga's arcs so far. I've got East of West 2-5 sitting upstairs thanks to the library. I was gonna grab Sweet Tooth from the library today, but the first trade (and only the first trade) was missing.

I read Sweet Tooth a few weeks ago and it's very good. Seemed to be what The Walking Dead would be if Kirkman had ever written it with a conclusion in mind.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Schneider Heim posted:

I started reading East of West and really liked it. How is the rest of the series?

I like it a lot but I sometimes have a hard time keeping up as it's pretty dense. Probably easier to follow in trades.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Schneider Heim posted:

I just read it this weekend. My library has the first 6 trades, though the 6th was in the new books room so I didn't check it out with the others, but I read the first 5 this weekend. I think it only gets better. I wasn't super impressed by the first trade, and the second improved on it, but by the third I was actually getting a grasp on what was going on with the huge cast of characters and politics and weirdness that's going on. I'm pretty stoked to read the sixth trade, but I expect I can wait until June to read the 7th trade, rather than starting to buy loose issues.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Finished the 6th East of West trade, delivered a lot of punch and a very fun ending. Looking forward to reading the next one now.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Read issue 1 of Anno Dracula: Seven Days in Mayhem. As a long time fan of both the Anno Dracula books and Newman overall, it didn't disappoint. Perfect art style for Newman's prose and plotting style, too.

Also finished Providence. Really enjoyable as well, and moved me to a surprising degree I don't quite know why. My favorite part was definitely S.T. Joshi appearing as himself in the comic.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Rat Queens does more Rat Queeny things. It was quite entertaining, and featured a short one-shot side story by Patrick Rothfuss that was also entertaining, both art and storywise. New Copperhead turns things on their tails (heh).

Image is going to hurt me in the :tenbux: next week, but I'm looking forward greatly to more Low and Curse Words. Glad I'm not buying the new Sex Criminals, since I love the look of my first deluxe HC, I'm gonna try and stick to only getting the series in that format, as awesome as it is. Any idea how far out from the issues being released they usually announce those editions?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who's drawing RQ now? What terrible life events will befall them?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

zoux posted:

In an ironic twist, they'll win the lottery and quit Rat Queens so that they can work on and self publish their passion project.

I hope Rat Queens continues to be fun and funny.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Shovelmint posted:

Rat Queens does more Rat Queeny things. It was quite entertaining, and featured a short one-shot side story by Patrick Rothfuss that was also entertaining, both art and storywise. New Copperhead turns things on their tails (heh).

Image is going to hurt me in the :tenbux: next week, but I'm looking forward greatly to more Low and Curse Words. Glad I'm not buying the new Sex Criminals, since I love the look of my first deluxe HC, I'm gonna try and stick to only getting the series in that format, as awesome as it is. Any idea how far out from the issues being released they usually announce those editions?

Deluxes, if there are any, seem to show up roughly after three trades are collected, but that also may be creator-dependent. I generally watch Amazon's "customers also like" scroller because it does a good job (for me) showing hardcovers from like publishers, and the first Low Deluxe showed up very recently for October, so whatever issue (or trade) just got released would be about the pattern.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Chairman Capone posted:

Also finished Providence. Really enjoyable as well, and moved me to a surprising degree I don't quite know why. My favorite part was definitely S.T. Joshi appearing as himself in the comic.

There's another real life figure appearing in that scene. Not bodily, however. Have you checked out the detailed annotations they've been doing for Providence at this blog?

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Are Rat Queen artists like Spinal Tap drummers? I'm not familiar with the curse. I've only read the first trade, and the first two issues of the new series, I maybe just picked them up because they were in the beginning of that badass panels thread?

Re Low Book One: Yesss! but also Urrrrgh! No! Why do I want to buy everything related to that series? I probably should get the #1 Newbury/SDCC covers and the SDCC version of the first trade before I worry about spending any money on (non-sdcc) hardcovers if I'm going to be a completionist.

edit: you can also get the first Head Lopper trade for $10 right now on Amazon. That's a bargain, don't let the fact that it's only 4 issues fool you; it's a weighty book. Head Lopper is a perfect comic, if you want the platonic ideal of a book about chopping off heads, it's right there.

Shovelmint fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 13, 2017

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

I hope Rat Queens continues to be fun and funny.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

zoux posted:

I don't think abusing your partner is something that "befalls" you

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Shovelmint posted:

Are Rat Queen artists like Spinal Tap drummers? I'm not familiar with the curse. I've only read the first trade, and the first two issues of the new series, I maybe just picked them up because they were in the beginning of that badass panels thread?

I decided to just stop reading Rat Queens when they went on their lengthy hiatus because of poo poo like this.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So hey, at the end of WicDiv 28, which is the most recent one so this is pretty obviously a big spoiler: were those Inanna sparkles? becaues they sure loving looked like Inanna sparkles to me, what the gently caress is going on in this comic

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Spawn variants across Image titles.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/04/13/image-comics-fills-may-spawn-variants-covers-god-country-injection/

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Shovelmint posted:

First artist was dropped because he was arrested for domestic abuse, which is bad enough, but obviously RQ had developed a pretty big feminist following so that was an extra dusting of cruel irony. Then the second artist had health issues/got an exclusive deal with Top Cow. And the third artist... well... see the previously posted link for that shitshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

So hey, at the end of WicDiv 28, which is the most recent one so this is pretty obviously a big spoiler: were those Inanna sparkles? becaues they sure loving looked like Inanna sparkles to me, what the gently caress is going on in this comic

I just categorized them as Generic Magic Sparkles but those definitely look purple. Maybe Ananke was in love with a former Inanna incarnation? Or there's a whole secret society of anti-Darkness people who are going to come looking for her now that she's gone.

Anyway I have no loving clue how things are going to turn out now. Yikes yikes yikes yikes. So much yikes.