Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
- Vest 11 shares
- 5 shares automatically sold by E-trade, sell-to-cover
- 6 shares deposited into my account, which I sold for money

Now my 1099 shows them both as two different line items but nothing about me having those 5 shares withheld for tax. I'm afraid I'm double paying taxes here. Is there supposed to be a line on my 1099 that shows tax withheld via sell-to-cover? Where did this money go if not for taxes?

Blinky2099 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

AbbiTheDog posted:

Might even use your phone to record the call in case you need proof.

Don't do that.

babydonthurtme posted:

My main problem here is that I already filed my return for 2016. Can I still ask for an extension if that is the case?

It's not an extension as in the 4868, it's a "can I have more time to get what you need" request. While Abbithedog's suggestion to send in the incorrect info and amend later is one poslsibility, it isn't the most efficient solution.

E: Yes, the Direct Pay system lets you get extensions. But your return is already filed timely so you don't need one. You can still pay using direct pay, though.

sullat fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 8, 2017

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I can only deduct $3,800 of my IRA contribution this year. Can I contribute an additional $1,700 to a Roth IRA, so the total between the two is $5,500?

OctaviusBeaver fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 8, 2017

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Do backdoor Roths, sheesh

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

sullat posted:

Don't do that.

I'm shocked at the amount of times the IRS agent on the phone claims something is going to get done, and it never does. Call back four months later, and there's no record of what the prior agent agreed to do. Also the amount of incorrect information/suggestions the phone agents give is astounding.

My state is not a two-party consent state for recorded calls, so if I have even an inkling the agent isn't telling me the correct answer, I begin recording the call for future reference. The IRS phone service is hit-or-miss.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

sullat posted:

Don't do that.

It's not an extension as in the 4868, it's a "can I have more time to get what you need" request. While Abbithedog's suggestion to send in the incorrect info and amend later is one poslsibility, it isn't the most efficient solution.

You bet it's horribly inefficient. But nobody at the IRS manually reads returns - the auditors themselves confess nobody will read any notes you attach the return trying to explain anything anyways. We're forced to comply with what the forms issues state and work around those, otherwise you're fighting with the CP2000 notices 6, 8, 12, 18 months later.

And the IRS copies the state agencies, and our state's position (Oregon) is the IRS notices are correct until the IRS issues a correction, and Oregon will lien/levy/seize accounts in two months, which isn't enough time to get the IRS to admit their error and send out a corrected notice.

For the initial filing, preparing a return off a known incorrect 1095 isn't the most efficient thing to do.....immediately. Long-term (over the next 24 months) it sure beats the hell out of fighting with the IRS by snail-mailing responses back and hoping someone reads them, while at the same time having your state agency jumping all over you for taxes owed that aren't truly owed. Clients would rather amend returns than deal with that debacle.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

ohgodwhat posted:

Do backdoor Roths, sheesh

Backdoor Roth would be overkill, I think - I think for both of our questions we can just...contribute directly to a Roth because we're under the income limit for that. But the phaseout for Roth is like $181,000 while the phaseout for deductible IRA contributions is $98-118,000. If I can make a deductible IRA contribution I would like to, just want to make sure I have it right!

Income under $98k: contribute directly to either one
Income between $98-118k: contribute up to the deductible limit to Traditional, top up to $5500 in Roth
Income between $118k-181k: contribute to Roth
Over $181k: Backdoor Roth

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
I just realized that I forgot to check the "All year coverage" box on my 1040 for health care coverage on http://freefilefillableforms.com/ and listed my obligation as "0", but the IRS accepted my return. Is it possible that this will come back to bite me in the rear end? Is there anything I can do to amend this?

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blinky2099 posted:

- Vest 11 shares
- 5 shares automatically sold by E-trade, sell-to-cover
- 6 shares deposited into my account, which I sold for money

Now my 1099 shows them both as two different line items but nothing about me having those 5 shares withheld for tax. I'm afraid I'm double paying taxes here. Is there supposed to be a line on my 1099 that shows tax withheld via sell-to-cover? Where did this money go if not for taxes?

any recommendations for how I can figure this out? do I just need to go hire a tax person? etrade wasn't any help when I messaged them

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

Blinky2099 posted:

any recommendations for how I can figure this out? do I just need to go hire a tax person? etrade wasn't any help when I messaged them

To be honest, I'm not quite clear what's going on with the transaction you're describing. Are you doing some kind of short sell?

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

Blinky2099 posted:

At least according to this, check your W2, or a pay slip from around that time?

https://thefinancebuff.com/rsu-sell-to-cover-deconstructed.html

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
Jesus TurboTax/HrBlock are ripoffs when it comes to being self employed.
Turbotax wants $120 to file my taxes because I was self employed for 3 months, and TurboTax wants even more.

Are these my only options, or is there a cheaper route? I already owe like $2900, so I'd rather not pay any more if doable.

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

momtartin posted:

Turbotax wants $120 to file my taxes because I was self employed for 3 months, and TurboTax wants even more.

Are these my only options, or is there a cheaper route? I already owe like $2900, so I'd rather not pay any more if doable.

If you have AGI less than $64,000, the United Way's MyFreeTaxes will file a return with a schedule C for free. If not, you could figure your return by hand and enter the numbers using the free file fillable forms.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin

urnisme posted:

If you have AGI less than $64,000, the United Way's MyFreeTaxes will file a return with a schedule C for free. If not, you could figure your return by hand and enter the numbers using the free file fillable forms.

Thanks I will look into those tonight as most of my stuff is not that difficult and I could copy the numbers from HR block. Is the free fillable forms things difficult?

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

momtartin posted:

Whether you have one month of activity or twelve, the forms generated and used tend to be the same.

It takes as much time to drop in $1,000,000 of sales as it does $10,000.

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
My wife and I need to file separately for student loan stuff.

I'm having a tough time figuring out what we need to report in the Community Property Income portion in TurboTax.

I live in California, and from my interpretation from the things I read, I need to do this:

quote:

For Community Property Addition Adjustments, add SPOUSES W-2's (Box #1) divide that by 2.
For Community Property Subtraction Adjustments, add YOUR W-2's (Box #1) and divide that by 2.
Tax Withhelding - Addition Adjustment, add SPOUSES W-2s (Box #2) divide that by 2.
Tax Withhelding - Subtraction Adjustment, add YOUR W-2s (Box #2) divide that by 2.

I'm still pretty unsure, so I just wanted reassurance that this is correct.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I'd like to get something straight, make sure I'm reading everything in my situation correctly. If my company opened a SEP IRA for me and put money into it, not out of my salary or anything, just contributed to it themselves, that means that I can't take the full 5500 deduction from my Traditional IRA?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Not sure if I can get any help with state income taxes here.

I'm an Illinois resident, and I worked in Iowa for the first few weeks of 2016 (while living in Illinois) before I started my new job back in Illinois.

I had previously worked this job in Iowa for all of 2015, and because of the reciprocal agreement between Illinois and Iowa, I didn't have to file a tax return for Iowa, since my taxes were due to Illinois. Well somehow this year I (or TurboTax) hosed up and filed an Iowa return, and apparently I entered my federal gross income as my Iowa income. I didn't send any money with my return to Iowa, but I've gotten a letter back saying I owe like $2000, which is more than I earned in Iowa in 2016.

Is there some way I can correct this? Should I file a 1040X with Iowa? I don't know if I need to correct my return as much as I need it to be rescinded.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

drat Bananas posted:

I'd like to get something straight, make sure I'm reading everything in my situation correctly. If my company opened a SEP IRA for me and put money into it, not out of my salary or anything, just contributed to it themselves, that means that I can't take the full 5500 deduction from my Traditional IRA?

The amount you can contribute to an IRA doesn't change, because the employer and employee limits are different - only the employee side is linked to your IRA limit of $5,500.

However, because you had a retirement plan available through work, your ability to deduct may be limited if you fall above the deductibility phase-out described here:

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plan...nt-plan-at-work

Single and AGI between $61-71k deduction is limited, above $71k no deduction

MFJ and AGI between $98-118k deduction is limited, above $118k no deduction

Are you in or above those ranges?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Thanks! Okay, yes, that matches up to what I thought and we are in the in-between. The more I learn about my traditional IRA the more I regret making it. I wonder how big a pain/expensive it would be to convert it to Roth after 3 years, or if I could/would open a Roth (in addition to traditional, SEP, inherited, now Roth - let's just get me the whole spectrum! jesus)

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

A friend of mine asked me to double check her taxes (after she already filed, of course). She paid a health coverage penalty on line 61.

Any thoughts on whether she could file an amended return to leave line 61 blank (per Trump's EO) and get the penalty back?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Droo posted:

A friend of mine asked me to double check her taxes (after she already filed, of course). She paid a health coverage penalty on line 61.

Any thoughts on whether she could file an amended return to leave line 61 blank (per Trump's EO) and get the penalty back?

No. The individual mandate still exists. The IRS interpreted the EO such that they would not reject any returns that did not confirm the taxpayers health care status in some way. She confirmed that she didn't have it and so must pay the penalty. There's no way an IRS agent is going to accept "Uh actually never mind" as a reason to remove the penalty.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Not sure if I can get any help with state income taxes here.

I'm an Illinois resident, and I worked in Iowa for the first few weeks of 2016 (while living in Illinois) before I started my new job back in Illinois.

I had previously worked this job in Iowa for all of 2015, and because of the reciprocal agreement between Illinois and Iowa, I didn't have to file a tax return for Iowa, since my taxes were due to Illinois. Well somehow this year I (or TurboTax) hosed up and filed an Iowa return, and apparently I entered my federal gross income as my Iowa income. I didn't send any money with my return to Iowa, but I've gotten a letter back saying I owe like $2000, which is more than I earned in Iowa in 2016.

Is there some way I can correct this? Should I file a 1040X with Iowa? I don't know if I need to correct my return as much as I need it to be rescinded.

You do have to file an amended return with Iowa (grab here) with probably a bunch of zeros for the taxable income/tax basically and an explanation of software error or whatever, otherwise they're going to keep pestering you about it. I'd probably mention something about the income being taxed for IL under the reciprocal agreement as well. Once it's submitted, there's no way to just say "that return is false", you need to amend. Should be relatively straightforward though given the aforementioned "fill the return with a lot of zeros" thing.

Epi Lepi posted:

No. The individual mandate still exists. The IRS interpreted the EO such that they would not reject any returns that did not confirm the taxpayers health care status in some way. She confirmed that she didn't have it and so must pay the penalty. There's no way an IRS agent is going to accept "Uh actually never mind" as a reason to remove the penalty.

Though if the issue is she actually did have insurance and marked it by mistake, that's safe to amend to correct, just make sure you have some kind of proof (payment records or whatever) if asked. But yeah, don't try to get cute with the IRS, I have a sneaking suspicion all the people who left it blank thinking they got away without having insurance are probably flagged by the IRS anyway. The IRS has to enforce the law, and the law says you pay penalties; the whole "we won't auto-reject returns without an entry" was just their best legal effort to comply with a very dumb executive order.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So I've put off on my taxes this year and simply forgot about them due to the fact that I don't live in the US anymore. I mean I knew I had to file my income anyway even if I didn't have to pay taxes (I shouldn't) but I just forgot and didn't treat doing my taxes as something important thing year since I'm 99% sure I won't have to pay anything anyway.

Anyway I'm reading this where it mentions an "automatic 2 month extension."

How To Get The Extension
To use this automatic 2-month extension, you must attach a statement to your return explaining which of the two situations listed earlier qualified you for the extension.

Does this mean that I don't have to submit anything now (by the 15th)? My interpretation of "automatic" means: I can submit a tax filing by June 15th and just attach a note saying "I'm claiming my 2 month extension for living abroad" and that's that, right?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I've put off on my taxes this year and simply forgot about them due to the fact that I don't live in the US anymore. I mean I knew I had to file my income anyway even if I didn't have to pay taxes (I shouldn't) but I just forgot and didn't treat doing my taxes as something important thing year since I'm 99% sure I won't have to pay anything anyway.

Anyway I'm reading this where it mentions an "automatic 2 month extension."

How To Get The Extension
To use this automatic 2-month extension, you must attach a statement to your return explaining which of the two situations listed earlier qualified you for the extension.

Does this mean that I don't have to submit anything now (by the 15th)? My interpretation of "automatic" means: I can submit a tax filing by June 15th and just attach a note saying "I'm claiming my 2 month extension for living abroad" and that's that, right?

Correct.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

sullat posted:

Correct.

Sweet. Time to put it off until June 14th and make another post asking "so the automatic 2 month extension can be renewed right?"

No just kidding I'll get right on it today to figure out what I need to get taken care of to submit my taxes.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sweet. Time to put it off until June 14th and make another post asking "so the automatic 2 month extension can be renewed right?"

No just kidding I'll get right on it today to figure out what I need to get taken care of to submit my taxes.

This rule is kind of a relic from the paper filing days, since now you can get a 6 month extension from anywhere over the internet. But if, say, you were off the grid climbing K2 or whatever, you could stick a note in your return to get the extra time. Without having to have done anything before the original deadline.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I had an unpleasant Roth IRA related surprise and would appreciate advice please.

I got married last year and we're filing separately because my wife is doing the "work for non profits for 10 years and make min payments and then we'll forgive your student loan" thing, and apparently filing separately will keep her min payments down.

And I just now while preparing my taxes saw that married filing separately means neither of us can contribute to a Roth IRA anymore :negative: and we already have!

So can I like.... un-contribute my 2016 Roth IRA contribution? If I withdraw 5,500 of principal from it, will that count as voiding my 2016 contribution?

If it's possible to un-contribute, should I simply state 0 contribution on my tax return, and meanwhile go to Vanguard and take the 5,500 back out before Tuesday?

e: alternate scenario, if the answer to the last line is yes: Do I have to take the 5,500 out before Tuesday, or can I do it later and retroactively call it a withdrawal of my 2016 contribution? I ask because I just two days ago sent in a check for my wife's contribution so it hasn't even been put in yet :doh:

alnilam fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 15, 2017

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Someone else will probably be able to answer much better, but wouldn't you be served by a recharacterization to a traditional contribution and then do a backdoor Roth conversion?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yes, I think so. I also dug deeper and read that filing an extension on taxes also extends my deadline for associated IRA recharacterizations, so I'm going to do that.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Yeahhhhh, I think I need to file for an extension - I have a W2, 1099-MISC, 1099-DIV, got married (but we were going to plan and file separately due to her student loans), and then the Roth IRA thing came up too.

To file an extension on form 4868, it looks like W2 income is what the estimated income is, correct? Do I need to add in 1099-MISC rental income on the estimate for the extension?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Laminator posted:

Yeahhhhh, I think I need to file for an extension - I have a W2, 1099-MISC, 1099-DIV, got married (but we were going to plan and file separately due to her student loans), and then the Roth IRA thing came up too.

To file an extension on form 4868, it looks like W2 income is what the estimated income is, correct? Do I need to add in 1099-MISC rental income on the estimate for the extension?

You want to estimate your entire income so you can estimate how much tax you will owe so you can pay it by 4/18/2017. Then when you determine the exact amount, hopefully you were spot on, but if not, you can get any overpayment refunded at that time.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The point of estimating and paying when you file an extension is that there's a penalty for paying late, but as long as you successfully filed the extension the penalty isn't much - only 0.5% of what ends up still being owed, per month. So try to roughly estimate your taxes and pay what you'll owe now, but don't sweat the estimating part too too much.

FWIW I tend to round up a little to avoid penalties and get a refund later, even though I know the penalties aren't much.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 17, 2017

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I get paid as a 1099-Misc independent contractor for doing graphic design work in Ohio. It's basically a 9-5 job, but I file taxes as self-employed.
There's a relatively new "business income" deduction for state taxes but I can't figure out if I qualify for it. It seems like all of my income is business income if I'm self employed, but it would essentially zero out all of my state income tax due, which seems too good to be true.

I've never registered as a sold proprietorship or LLC. Does that mean this isn't for me?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm thinking about next year's taxes already.

I did some napkin math and it seems like my withholdings might be a bit on the high side. The thing is that partway through July I will be in another position, either where I am or at a new company.

How do I enter that into the IRS withholding calculator? I know a ballpark of what I would be making here, but not how much would get withheld. If I end up somewhere else, it's anybody's guess. I tried just putting the low end of the new job as a second job starting in August in the calculator, but it said to increase my W-4 allowances to 5 for this job and 0 for the future one, so I don't think it liked me doing that.

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

MY ABACUS! posted:

I get paid as a 1099-Misc independent contractor for doing graphic design work in Ohio. It's basically a 9-5 job, but I file taxes as self-employed.
There's a relatively new "business income" deduction for state taxes but I can't figure out if I qualify for it. It seems like all of my income is business income if I'm self employed, but it would essentially zero out all of my state income tax due, which seems too good to be true.

I've never registered as a sold proprietorship or LLC. Does that mean this isn't for me?

The only catch is that there's a 250k limit on the deduction per taxpayer.

Yes, it zeros out the business income for many OH self-employed taxpayers.

edit: there is not "registration" for a sole proprietorship. If you're self employed and reporting income on a schedule c, you're a sole prop. almost by default.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Howard Phillips posted:

I'm a Virginia resident. What forms are required?

Do I have to file Schedule VAC, OSC, and CR if they don't apply to me? The instructions are vague.

I'm mailing it because the efile keeps having errors and the tax lady said to do it by paper due to the error (state AGI can't be greater than federal).
You can't even use the free fillable form site if you need OSC (I know because I had to submit it) so I seriously doubt everyone has to submit it (the whole point is just to calculate one line that goes back on the 760 if you have other state taxes you need to deduct anyway). I think you just need 760 under normal circumstances?

At least I hope so since I just mailed mine in.

mystes fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 18, 2017

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Filing an amended 2016 return...so I can't electronically file. Is it okay to attach my 8949 worksheet to the end of the 1040X/1040 when I mail it in?

Or do I still need to do the 8453 route and a separate mailing?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Arkane posted:

Filing an amended 2016 return...so I can't electronically file. Is it okay to attach my 8949 worksheet to the end of the 1040X/1040 when I mail it in?

Or do I still need to do the 8453 route and a separate mailing?

Amended returns need to be paper filed, yes. If you are changing the data on the 8949, then attach a copy to the form 1040x. You don't need to attach a copy of the original return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Quick question..
Would I be able to amend this?

My gf works for a company, got her w2 in Jan.
The issue is that her company had changed direct deposit processors about 4 months into 2016.
She received her W2 from the 2nd (and current) processor and everything was fine. We used turbotax and filed her taxes.

The problem, we moved Feb 1 and she did not notify this first processor, so her W2 from them came in after Feb 1 and went into USPS auto forwarding limbo for a while. We received it around March. After I reran the numbers in TurboTax, her refund is now lower than the original refund check she received. She claims 0 or 1, I'm not sure, and has nothing to deduct other than herself.

Do we just run an amendment on this before next year and square everything up? Assuming she'll have to pay back the difference obviously. Or do we let it slide till 2017 taxes and amend it then?