Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Max is the best of the best. Some fuckboys here, (they are real dumb and fail) try to discredit him. sad imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Frog will be less of a hate figure as soon as someone else turns up and is over-hyped in their first season

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Thanks Ants posted:

The Frog will be less of a hate figure as soon as someone else turns up and is over-hyped in their first season

Lance stroll?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I like how drivers on opposite sides of the spectrum (verstappen <=> stroll) are equally hated.

Alonso is like the only exception, everybody likes him. This would stop the second he got into an actual car obviously.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Not true.

There are some tragically broken people in this thread in desperate need of a horsewhipping over their Alonso slurs.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Bottas reminds me of Kovalinen. A useless fin for Hammy to thrash.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

ilmucche posted:

Lance stroll?

What's the opposite of hyped up?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

uXs posted:

I like how drivers on opposite sides of the spectrum (verstappen <=> stroll) are equally hated.

Be fair, I don't think Verstappen and stroll are on opposite sides of any spectrum.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NtotheTC posted:

Be fair, I don't think Verstappen and stroll are on opposite sides of any spectrum.

They are, Verstappen is an incredibly skilled driver who worked his way up to F1, and will dominate for 20 years.

Stroll is a pay driver who bought a seat at a struggling team and crashes every session.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I want Joe the Nazi to stop crashing

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Thanks Ants posted:

I want Joe the Nazi to stop crashing

:same:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

AgentJotun posted:

Bottas reminds me of Kovalinen. A useless fin for Hammy to thrash.

At least Kovalainen won a race.

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?
That was a good and cool race. Ferrari strategy flaws showing through already with Raikonnen, clearly a silly decision not to bring him in early imo.

As far as my predictor scores go, I forgot to update since the Melbourne GP but I think I'm in for a haul:
Pole : Hammy, 1st Hammy, 2nd Scud Stud Seb, 3rd Ricky Dick Positions Gained: Maximum Versatility

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This year the team with the best strategy and with a clear number 2 driver will win.

Congratulations to Hamilton and Mercedes.

#blessed

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I know it's only the second race, but no teammates are touching

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2017/drivers.html

Also, it seems Nando and Stroll have been kicked out for being garbage, because they're not on the list. (they haven't finished a race yet lol)

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
"I don't need a loving drink"

Really Nando? I'd have pickled my loving liver by now.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Good race, almost as good as the Finns are bad.

learnincurve posted:

Verstappen did amazingly well and it's a bitter bitter person who does not think he deserves this podium.

*nods solemnly*

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I just can't get over how terrible Bottas is in the best car on the grid

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

He's actually "Might cost Mercedes the WCC" bad, which is pretty impressive.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/976/cpsprodpb/1367D/production/_95558497_bottas_sad_epa.jpg

Leaving it as a link because the image name says it all

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Norns posted:

The Ferrari is probably better, but its being driven by some of the worst WDC's in history. Bottas isn't a bad driver as the previous seasons have shown, he is just not a great and is showing the true ability of the car. Put Alonso in the Ferrari this season and he would have won both races even with Ferrari doing their usual Ferrari strategies.

I think its why Hamilton said this could be his toughest WDC fight yet, as he knows he is possibly in the weaker car this time and only way he is going to get the WDC is down to him.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

I'm still pretty sure this guy will be on the podium steadily from Spain onwards, when the upgrades Mercedes engine arrived.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Here's my surprise at Max finishing on the podium in a wet race: :geno:

Here's my surprise at Lewis and Seb being 1-2: :geno:

Here's my response to that first bit: :getin:

Also, K-Mag in the points (and RoGo finishing just outside of them!)? :stare:

Also congrats to 1500 for the new thread title.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

Boy I can't wait for the Max Verstappen circle jerk over getting lucky on a start.

Tell us more about Gio being the real deal :allears:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wuffles posted:

*crash in the same Spot two days in a row.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

ukle posted:

The Ferrari is probably better, but its being driven by some of the worst WDC's in history. Bottas isn't a bad driver as the previous seasons have shown, he is just not a great and is showing the true ability of the car. Put Alonso in the Ferrari this season and he would have won both races even with Ferrari doing their usual Ferrari strategies.

I think its why Hamilton said this could be his toughest WDC fight yet, as he knows he is possibly in the weaker car this time and only way he is going to get the WDC is down to him.

Lewis coasted to a win in clean air again. He was never at risk.

Unless things change Ferrari will lose the WDC becuse they are hilariously bad at strategy calls. I think they have the WCC because Bottas doesn't seem capable of driving in this formula.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm pretty sure Bottas was pretty low on Mercedes' want list, and it's becoming apparent. Everyone else they would have wanted was either at Ferrari (who won't leave because :homebrew: and the fame of being a Ferrari driver), Red Bull (contract locked, most likely), or Fernando (who is also probably contract locked). Williams was the only team they had any sort of leverage with, so there you go.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

learnincurve posted:

I must admit it says a lot about the taste and decency of this thread that everyone, including me, turned off the TV rather than watch Lewis collect his trophy and be interviewed by Brundle,

I did this too.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

iospace posted:

I'm pretty sure Bottas was pretty low on Mercedes' want list, and it's becoming apparent. Everyone else they would have wanted was either at Ferrari (who won't leave because :homebrew: and the fame of being a Ferrari driver), Red Bull (contract locked, most likely), or Fernando (who is also probably contract locked). Williams was the only team they had any sort of leverage with, so there you go.

That and they figured that Ferrari wouldn't be as competitive as they are and all they needed was a decent driver to easily win the WCC, especially with Kimi as the #2. They might have tried to get Alonso, cost be damned (and Lewis' feelings), if they thought they needed 2 drivers fighting for 1/2 on the podium every race.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I did this too.

Only thing you missed was Lewis not knowing Max's name

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

China made me not like Kimi anymore. He sounded like a baby the whole race with his team radio complaining.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

BubbaGrace posted:

China made me not like Kimi anymore. He sounded like a baby the whole race with his team radio complaining.

You expect him to be quiet when his car isn't working properly?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The racing is fun to watch even if there aren't constant passes. I like the new cars.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

But Melbourne is never a high passing track and China had lots of overtakes?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I'm glad they didn't play any of Vettel's radio messages when he was stuck behind Kimi, probably too much effort to bleep everything.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorGonzo posted:

*crash in the same Spot two days in a row.

Rule one of racing school. Consistency first speed second.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Norns posted:

You expect him to be quiet when his car isn't working properly?

Not working properly because he had it in the wrong mode by his own admission.

At least his bitching was funny, Max's was just pathetic. I liked his drive but he should have just kept his head down and not cried like a bitch boy about Big John not moving over while being ~2 sec ahead of him.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Okay? What's your point. The car being in the wrong mode is still an issue an impacts performance. Bitching about it got it fixed.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wuffles posted:

I was completely wrong about Gio, he is a fraud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I just don't get why some of you seem to want "Ehhhh everything's peachy" on the radio? The bitching IS THE BEST PART.

• Locked thread