Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Aurora posted:

Shut up you're going to summon Tayne

the edmonton oilers will win lord stanleys cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
now that the leafs are in, I'd like to see them play Ottawa in the first round. that's would be a fun series

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
the last oilers playoff goal was scored by fernando pisani

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Suspicious posted:

2006 never forget:

This is the best one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf83DrROOvw

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Aurora posted:

Shut up you're going to summon Tayne

Yeah but his gimmick is somehow grounded in the realm of possibility.

The Oilers? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
oilers/hawks & habs/caps conference finals

who says no?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

fits posted:

oilers/hawks & habs/caps conference finals

who says no?
I don't see the Oilers making it through both San Jose and Anaheim without a hefty dose of luck.

Dicks/Hawks, and Bruins/Jackets.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the oilers are going to eliminate the flames in 4 games and then play san jose i think

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's a shame Nashville couldn't beat winnipeg to kick the flames over to the other half of the bracket so the oilers and flames could meet in the western finals.

Once again, the jets disappoint hockey fans.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I feel like the oilers are going to be like that first Penguins playoff team with Crosby where they had an awesome regular and then get beaten down in a best of seven by someone with more playoff experience (even though we all kind of agreed that's just old boys club talk). Crosby played well enough against Ottawa that year but the rest of the team folded. If San Jose isn't dead I could see them knocking out Edmonton.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Powershift posted:

That's different, they fought up from 8th.

It's been a while since I've looked this up, but I seem to remember that the Oilers were legit one of the best teams in the league, and it had just been masked by running a Conklin/Markkanen pairing for most of the season. They were definitely a much better team than Carolina.

Then they traded Pronger and, well, the same thing happened that happens to every team that loses Pronger.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Oh yeah, the Leafs being in the playoffs is really cool. I'm not sure how they're going to do. Aside from obvious first timeness, I think a lot of their offence comes from the powerplay, and those tend to not come around quite as often in the playoffs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

It's been a while since I've looked this up, but I seem to remember that the Oilers were legit one of the best teams in the league, and it had just been masked by running a Conklin/Markkanen pairing for most of the season. They were definitely a much better team than Carolina.

Then they traded Pronger and, well, the same thing happened that happens to every team that loses Pronger.

They were pretty middle of the road. If you look at all their top scorers were Hemsky, Horcoff, Stoll, Torres, and Pisani all peaked in that regular season, none of them ever matched their point total from that season, even the ones who escaped the vortex that was the oilers management of that time.

Even roloson barely had a winning record in the regular season.

e: http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...s,goals,assists

Their top scorer was 34th in the league, behind 4 red wings, 3 thrashers, 3 senators, 3 sharks.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Apr 9, 2017

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Powershift posted:

They were pretty middle of the road. If you look at all their top scorers were Hemsky, Horcoff, Stoll, Torres, and Pisani all peaked in that regular season, none of them ever matched their point total from that season, even the ones who escaped the vortex that was the oilers management of that time.

Even roloson barely had a winning record in the regular season.

It's hard to find because these stats weren't explicitly tracked back then, but I think their estimated possession was in the 54% range, as opposed to Carolina who was comfortably below 50%.

fe: I found this. 53.7% Fenwick, and were suffering through ~.880 goaltending until they acquired Roloson.

e2: Goaltending for 05-06, set to min 18 games (so as to capture all of Edmonton's goalies). Conklin and Markkanen were 56th/57th out of 58 qualifying goaltenders. Mike Morrison at 52nd. Then .905 Roloson put up with Edmonton would put him around 21st.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Apr 9, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, they weren't completely terrible, but nobody on the team would be on the first line of the real contenders. It was a group of average players who clicked for a season, 2 goalies who suddenly got hot, and 1 who bet on the Hurricanes.

Use that same tool for GAA, Roloson is 18th at 2.73, Conklin 22nd at 2.8, and Markkanen 40th at 3.13. Get into the playoffs and suddenly Roloson goes 2.33 at .929, gets injured, and Markkanen goes 2.16 at .905. Conklin's stats accurately reflect his play, at 0.667 and 10.71 GAA.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
Everyone seems to be forgetting that today Vancouver will light up the Oilers for a dominating win, destroying Edmonton's confidence and probably injuring McDavid's feelings so they get blown out in a 4 game series. More importantly Vancouver will go from 29th to 27th and lose the lottery to draft 7th, and trade said draft pick for some under performing 23 year old high draft pick or maybe just tough guy and strong playoff performer Michael Ferland.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wippersnapper posted:

Everyone seems to be forgetting that today Vancouver will light up the Oilers for a dominating win, destroying Edmonton's confidence and probably injuring McDavid's feelings so they get blown out in a 4 game series. More importantly Vancouver will go from 29th to 27th and lose the lottery to draft 7th, and trade said draft pick for some under performing 23 year old high draft pick or maybe just tough guy and strong playoff performer Michael Ferland.

Who is president in your timeline and how are you posting in ours?

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Wayne is cool

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Wippersnapper posted:

gently caress you, my excitement for the Canucks getting 2nd last is now just expectation for this exact scenario to happen

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Powershift posted:

Use that same tool for GAA, Roloson is 18th at 2.73, Conklin 22nd at 2.8, and Markkanen 40th at 3.13. Get into the playoffs and suddenly Roloson goes 2.33 at .929, gets injured, and Markkanen goes 2.16 at .905. Conklin's stats accurately reflect his play, at 0.667 and 10.71 GAA.

To my mind a reasonable GAA combined with a piss awful save percentage is indicative of a team that's pretty darn good at limiting shots against.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hand Knit posted:

Oh yeah, the Leafs being in the playoffs is really cool. I'm not sure how they're going to do. Aside from obvious first timeness, I think a lot of their offence comes from the powerplay, and those tend to not come around quite as often in the playoffs.

Whatever happens, it can't possibly be worse than the last time LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR ME

Well actually if they win tomorrow later today and lose a playoff series against the Ottawa "zero goal differential" Senators, I'll be pretty loving sad. What else is there to hold onto from the last 20 years of Leafs hockey besides beating Ottawa in the playoffs?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

heeheex2 posted:

gently caress you, my excitement for the Canucks getting 2nd last is now just expectation for this exact scenario to happen

It's a given that the Canucks will win tonight and management will try and spin it as a positive pointing out that they had third best odds last year and picked 5th so you can't rely on them.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
This is why I don't want to play the Leafs in the first round: insufferable Leafs fans.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.

ThinkTank posted:

It's a given that the Canucks will win tonight and management will try and spin it as a positive pointing out that they had third best odds last year and picked 5th so you can't rely on them.

More importantly I typed that and then realized I could honestly see them trading a high pick for a guy like Ferlund.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

JohnnyCanuck posted:

This is why I don't want to play the Leafs in the first round: insufferable Leafs fans.

I'd much rather see the Sens lose to the Bruins than lose to the Leafs.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Oilers are not getting eliminated round 1 because they never have

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Andersen passed concussion protocol but won't play today, meaning it's McElhinney on back to back nights baby!

Hello, Washington Capitals.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Koopa Kid posted:

Andersen passed concussion protocol but won't play today, meaning it's McElhinney on back to back nights baby!

I think I'm more confident with a pumped up McBackup tonight than a possibly groggy Andersen, so it might be ok.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

To my mind a reasonable GAA combined with a piss awful save percentage is indicative of a team that's pretty darn good at limiting shots against.

But the difference between Conklin's and Roloson's save percentages and GAA suggests either there was a different team in front of them, or they were in very different games.

At the end of the day, for the team, GAA matters more than save percentage, and is a better indicator of team performance, where Sv% is a btter indicator of goalie performance.

Talbot has a poor GAA, but every once in a while the team completely leaves him out to dry.

Back to the original point, in 05-06, Carolina was 2nd in the east, Edmonton only beat out the Canucks for 8th by 3 points because the Canucks only won 2 of their last 8 where the oilers were able to win 4 of their last 8. They only had 41 wins to the Canucks and Kings 42, but made the playoffs thanks to 13 overtime losses.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Koopa Kid posted:

:negative:

DuhSal posted:

I think I'm more confident with a pumped up McBackup tonight than a possibly groggy Andersen, so it might be ok.

Comedy Scenario 2: McElhinney is tired and Sparks starts :v:

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I promise to become the most insufferable Leafs fan if they ever have any success in the playoffs.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Twin Cinema posted:

I promise to become the most insufferable Leafs fan if they ever have any success in the playoffs.

Did you just change your av again or has it not changed since 2013

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Jonny Nox posted:

Except all those times to Dallas? Maybe the Avs once, I can't quite recall.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

JohnnyCanuck posted:

https://youtu.be/p5yRYVrig4k?t=161

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

The Oilers have lost in the first round of the playoffs in 1980, 1982, 1989, 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2003.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

See avatar

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Leafs will win the cup - however Matthews, Nylander, and Marner all suffer career-ending injuries along the way.

Somewhere, the last finger curls up on a withered paw.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Leafs will win the cup - however Matthews, Nylander, and Marner all suffer career-ending injuries along the way.

Somewhere, the last finger curls up on a withered paw.

And the franchise folds and is promptly scrubbed from history, forgotten to the sands of time~

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

The Oilers have lost in the first round of the playoffs in 1980, 1982, 1989, 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2003.

Wait was that the Flames?

Some team out there has never lost in the first round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jonny Nox posted:

Wait was that the Flames?

Some team out there has never lost in the first round

Carolina hasn't lost in the first round in 8 years.

Pretty solid run.

• Locked thread