Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pick posted:

They probably should have checked that technology out before they used it!!

They probably ran all kinds of simulations, but it's not like they can do a trial run where they stick someone in stasis for six centuries to see if everything works okays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I want a personal apology from bioware for gil but I will also issue them a formal thank you for reyes

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Moola posted:

why the gently caress would you willingly play this game twice?

i want to do three playthroughs to go through it every set of companions at least once :shepface:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Troposphere posted:

I want a personal apology from bioware for gil but I will also issue them a formal thank you for reyes

issue them a demand for reyes to be a full on companion, along with kallo

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
and a kett named Katt, and a Vorcha, named VorVor

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Moola posted:

Because it would upset you

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Pick posted:

There's a quest that suggests that cryo sleep makes people assholes. They probably should have checked that technology out before they used it!!

I mean, you find cannibals on Kadara which leads me to believe they probably should have had a better vetting process at the very least.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
The thing that annoyed me most about Reyes vs Sloane on Kadara was how the choice was to either save Sloane and let her keep her position of power or let some dipshit sniper take her out. I'm like gently caress you Reyes you have no honor, duel her like a loving big boy and we'll see what comes of it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm pretty annoyed that there was no option to replace the incompetent Nexus leadership with better people. Like, good lord, why the hell wasn't that Bradley guy in charge of poo poo? The Nexus falls to pieces over some dumb poo poo and they kept this competent Systems Alliance guy on ice until they need an Outpost? I never even got an option to punch Tann or stuff him in a locker.

There should have been an ME1 style choice at the end where you can either save the Nexus leadership or let them die, only this time it would be an actual difficult choice because you can get rid of Tann and Addison, but you also doom Kesh. In order to save her, you have to leave the Nexus in Tann's bumbling hands.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 9, 2017

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

QuasiQuack posted:

The thing that annoyed me most about Reyes vs Sloane on Kadara was how the choice was to either save Sloane and let her keep her position of power or let some dipshit sniper take her out. I'm like gently caress you Reyes you have no honor, duel her like a loving big boy and we'll see what comes of it.
I can see his point of view tbh. She'd have made mincemeat of him in a fair fight.

Then again, I still saved her. She might hate Nexus and Tann, but unlike Reyes she actually has loving principles... even if they're starting to get a bit warped under the pressure of being exiled.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

QuasiQuack posted:

If that's what you expect from Reyes, then you probably don't want to side with him anyway. Lying and cheating is what he's all about, and it's pretty well established by that point.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Coldforge posted:

If that's what you expect from Reyes, then you probably don't want to side with him anyway. Lying and cheating is what he's all about, and it's pretty well established by that point.

yeah, that's why I wanted to force him into it :v:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

DrNutt posted:

I mean, you find cannibals on Kadara which leads me to believe they probably should have had a better vetting process at the very least.

But that's just it - they were vetted beforehand, they just didn't know that waking after 600 years in cryo had a strong chance to cause mental illness and instability in a portion of the colonists, Lexi only discovers it after the event.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

But that's just it - they were vetted beforehand, they just didn't know that waking after 600 years in cryo had a strong chance to cause mental illness and instability in a portion of the colonists, Lexi only discovers it after the event.

I wish ME:A had been more about the cascading failures that come from a rush job to escape the Reapers. Like, take out the Kett content almost entirely or even entirely. Scourge + Remnant+ 600 years in cryo + missing arks + Exiles + Jien Garson/Cerberus hangover, plus dealing with more than one "first contact" that isn't all about shooting. I am tired of saving the world/galaxy/universe.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sentinel Red posted:

Oh that quest yeah. I barely paid attention to that because it was another scan x things quest.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Pick posted:

There's a quest that suggests that cryo sleep makes people assholes. They probably should have checked that technology out before they used it!!
Pretty sure Lexi says that it looks like someone did it intentionally to some of those people while they were in cryo sleep, and not that the technology is flawed.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lollerich posted:

Pretty sure Lexi says that it looks like someone did it intentionally to some of those people while they were in cryo sleep, and not that the technology is flawed.

Jesus Christ can't wait for the inevitable Rise of Cerberus DLC. Genuinely interested in the Jien Garson murder mystery though.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

homullus posted:

I wish ME:A had been more about the cascading failures that come from a rush job to escape the Reapers. Like, take out the Kett content almost entirely or even entirely. Scourge + Remnant+ 600 years in cryo + missing arks + Exiles + Jien Garson/Cerberus hangover, plus dealing with more than one "first contact" that isn't all about shooting. I am tired of saving the world/galaxy/universe.

If we didn't have Kett to kill then Ryder would be responsible for killing like 10% of the people the Andromeda Initiative brought over instead of 2%. But yeah, ME:A played it super safe.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

DrNutt posted:

Jesus Christ can't wait for the inevitable Rise of Cerberus DLC. Genuinely interested in the Jien Garson murder mystery though.

I was too. Too bad they left the resolution out of the only quest related to it!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
One thing I really dislike is how Ryder Senior seems to be based on the default skin color for the custom face one picks, even if one radically changes that. Choose caucasian Ryder on the site, get Crysis' Prophet for her father. Just a glaring discontinuity of sorts. Why yes, I think the default Ryder Senior (when doing quickstart default Sara/etc) is kicking rad.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mass Effect: Andromeda is now sitting at a lower critic score than No Man's Sky.

Really makes you think.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

homullus posted:

I wish ME:A had been more about the cascading failures that come from a rush job to escape the Reapers.

It kind of was, when you think about it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kirios posted:

Mass Effect: Andromeda is now sitting at a lower critic score than No Man's Sky.

Really makes you think.

It makes me think that people are stupid. Normally I'm content to let people just enjoy their own thing, but if someone legit thinks NMS is better I am going to assume they have brain damage.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

The Butcher posted:

- This is probably not the best way to say it but I don't know how else to phrase it... WTF is up with the cheap whore makeup on so many human :females:? Especially Addison. It's so jarring and unrealistic (in my pew pew space game :colbert:) I don't even want to interact with her unless necessary.

I just made it back to the Nexus after the last patch, and this is way better now. No idea what they were thinking originally.

Lighting there is still flat garbage though.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Slim Killington posted:

Havarl has completely killed my motivation to play any more of this game.

Coolest-looking planet but a complete fucker to navigate and narratively not great. I appreciated them sticking a bunch of minerals in crates instead of doing the dune buggy mining thing.

Why is the Roekkar base on an isolated moon that, before us and the Turians that had just crash-landed, had no aliens at all? Wouldn't it have made more sense to be based in Kadara, a planet that was conquered and occupied by aggressive aliens twice and could stand a little heavier resistance?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

Coolest-looking planet but a complete fucker to navigate and narratively not great. I appreciated them sticking a bunch of minerals in crates instead of doing the dune buggy mining thing.

Why is the Roekkar base on an isolated moon that, before us and the Turians that had just crash-landed, had no aliens at all? Wouldn't it have made more sense to be based in Kadara, a planet that was conquered and occupied by aggressive aliens twice and could stand a little heavier resistance?

If you're really looking for logic, I'd guess the same reason the most racist places in the US tend to be areas with segregated or small populations of minorities. Lack of actual experience that makes it easier to believe stereotypes.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

Because it would upset you

I have to respect that commitment to masochism dude

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Coldforge posted:

If you're really looking for logic, I'd guess the same reason the most racist places in the US tend to be areas with segregated or small populations of minorities. Lack of actual experience that makes it easier to believe stereotypes.

More to the point, Havarl is the angara homeworld. Or so they think.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

DrNutt posted:

It makes me think that people are stupid. Normally I'm content to let people just enjoy their own thing, but if someone legit thinks NMS is better I am going to assume they have brain damage.

Geth say No Man's Sky is better than Mass Effect Andromeda. Heretics say Mass Effect Andromeda is worse than No Man's Sky.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Kirios posted:

Mass Effect: Andromeda is now sitting at a lower critic score than No Man's Sky*.

Really makes you think.

*for the PS4

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Moola posted:

I'm sorry that the game turned out to be good. I know this must be hard on you.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Mymla posted:

I'm sorry that the game turned out to be good. I know this must be hard on you.

thank you for your concern and well wishes my friend

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I've thought once or twice about playing the game again but then I realize the only reason I'd want to is to max out my levels. I don't think my choices will matter much in the scope of this game beyond some dialogue anyway.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

evilmiera posted:

I've thought once or twice about playing the game again but then I realize the only reason I'd want to is to max out my levels. I don't think my choices will matter much in the scope of this game beyond some dialogue anyway.

I was going to play again to try out different playstyles and some different choices and try to get a romance scene that had tits in it, but on the other hand after ~60 hours I'm pretty burned out. May wait out a few patches or a significant DLC.

Cythereal posted:

More to the point, Havarl is the angara homeworld. Or so they think.

Coldforge posted:

:hai:

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Coldforge posted:

I think it's more that racists move away from places that are racially diverse. If you're a quiet racist you move to some small town in Iowa or Idaho. If you're a racist who wants to loudly proclaim you aren't, you move to Portland, OR.

The Roekaar are chicken-hawks who want to be left alone and will only fight in extremis, so they go to Havarl rather than where the action is. Conveniently, it lets them engage in cowardly ambush tactics rather than have to deal with a straight up fight.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I think it's more that racists move away from places that are racially diverse. If you're a quiet racist you move to some small town in Iowa or Idaho. If you're a racist who wants to loudly proclaim you aren't, you move to Portland, OR.

The Roekaar are chicken-hawks who want to be left alone and will only fight in extremis, so they go to Havarl rather than where the action is. Conveniently, it lets them engage in cowardly ambush tactics rather than have to deal with a straight up fight.

Again: Havarl is the angara homeworld. Aya is just their capital.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

evilmiera posted:

I think I played Mass Effect 2 three times over the years, but never changed my decisions (thanks you tube for letting me see the others), aside from a couple of immediate save/reload choices. The gameplay was just fun, and I enjoyed the characters.,

MEA's gameplay is 50% wandering around lovely undercooked MMO environments fighting constantly respawning Broke AI-rear end Kett in theaters of war that are often less interesting than ME2s cover-shooter environments. This could be due to only having three powers and AWFUL squad controls, moreso than the actual theater design. I can't fuckin' believe any time you switch to new sets of skills your timer restarts. It slows down combat considerably, and actively fights me when I'm trying to make combat INTERESTING and VARIED. Switching skillssets is cool in theory, but it's such a loving trammel in practice.

Like, I hit a HARD wall at the beginning of the first ice planet talking to the Angarans in the outpost gathering quests and poo poo - that was due to paper-white boring writing and not knowing which fetch quest would lead to something interesting versus one that would just make me spend thirty minutes to get a "thanks, pathfinder" and gently caress all else.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Drifter posted:

This could be due to only having three powers and AWFUL squad controls, moreso than the actual theater design.

It's pretty hilarious that people in this thread in the past were defending the three-power/switch system.

It's poo poo: 4-6 skills are always going to be more fun than 2-3 skills like The Division and this game. Hell, they still have active powers that take up a loving skill-slot. There's not much loving reason to ever turn off Annihilation on the Asari Adept so she's literally a two-spell class.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Drifter posted:

I think I played Mass Effect 2 three times over the years, but never changed my decisions (thanks you tube for letting me see the others), aside from a couple of immediate save/reload choices. The gameplay was just fun, and I enjoyed the characters.,

MEA's gameplay is 50% wandering around lovely undercooked MMO environments fighting constantly respawning Broke AI-rear end Kett in theaters of war that are often less interesting than ME2s cover-shooter environments. This could be due to only having three powers and AWFUL squad controls, moreso than the actual theater design. I can't fuckin' believe any time you switch to new sets of skills your timer restarts. It slows down combat considerably, and actively fights me when I'm trying to make combat INTERESTING and VARIED. Switching skillssets is cool in theory, but it's such a loving trammel in practice.

Like, I hit a HARD wall at the beginning of the first ice planet talking to the Angarans in the outpost gathering quests and poo poo - that was due to paper-white boring writing and not knowing which fetch quest would lead to something interesting versus one that would just make me spend thirty minutes to get a "thanks, pathfinder" and gently caress all else.

I kinda agree with you here Drifter. The open world just ain't that interesting - you get a bunch of samey fights at locations to get some gear and mats?

I think I'm going to focus primarily on the main missions - everything else seems like busy work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SgtSteel91 posted:

*for the PS4

A relief that it's only ranked the worst on the platform most people will experience the game on.