Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
How much VX released over Seoul is an acceptable amount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mr. Nice! posted:

There is absolutely zero chance that even if they do have 10,000 artillery that they are all manned and operational. Also you don't have to move a ton of assets to perform these strikes. A single small boy plenty of VLS cells filled with tomahawks not to mention any SSBGs that might be in the area.

You're still short on offensive power. I'll ask again: how much iron does NK have to throw over the border to make an allied first strike a bad idea?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How much VX released over Seoul is an acceptable amount?

Zero and I'm not trying to imply anything else.

Godholio posted:

You're still short on offensive power. I'll ask again: how much iron does NK have to throw over the border to make an allied first strike a bad idea?

I don't know the numbers, and I'm not saying that a first strike is a good idea. I'm saying that NK's supposed 10k artillery isn't an issue since the vast majority of it (if it even still exists) is old, decrepit, and unmanned. If there was modern, manned, tested, and operational conventional ordnance on the other side of the border, then I would think differently.

The real risk are various short range missiles that the north has.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

No loving way. :psyduck:

This literally makes my blood boil. I volunteered in inner city Baltimore while in college, and for some kids school lunch is literally the only real meal they get all day. If a school near me was pulling that poo poo I would rain hell down on their administrative staff. Thank God I live in a Blue state. gently caress this country and gently caress everyone who votes for the assholes that push these laws.

You have incorrectly used "literally" twice on the same page and I'm gonna gently caress you up if you do it again.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Oh I agree that their artillery isn't as bad as it's made out to be, in that it's not going to be the first priority for targeting. It's still gonna have some teeth regardless tho

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

quote:

North Korea possesses some 700 long-range artillery pieces — Koksan 170 mm howitzers and 240 mm multiple rocket launchers — that are capable of bombarding Seoul.

I think that 10,000 number is a tad overblown. Not that 700 artillery pieces can't do a gently caress ton of damage.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

No loving way. :psyduck:

This literally makes my blood boil. I volunteered in inner city Baltimore while in college, and for some kids school lunch is literally the only real meal they get all day. If a school near me was pulling that poo poo I would rain hell down on their administrative staff. Thank God I live in a Blue state. gently caress this country and gently caress everyone who votes for the assholes that push these laws.

No balls.

In slightly smaller news. AK will commission its first new asset this week. Still cant do poo poo with it up north and it will have to run from the weather but hey its a start.

http://www.sitnews.us/0317News/031717/031717_uscg_cutter_jm.html

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Flikken posted:

I think that 10,000 number is a tad overblown. Not that 700 artillery pieces can't do a gently caress ton of damage.

M-1978 and BM-24. These are old soviet era artillery pieces that are only in use anymore in DPRK and Iran/Yemen. I sincerely doubt that they've been properly maintained.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
The going number of expected rounds to fly from NK artillery from about 5 years ago was (if memory serves) 100,000 rounds an hour for 3 hours wherein logistics and mechanical breakages will be a factor.

They could all be duds but that's a lot of poo poo to have flying through the air that you would then not be sure about it going bang at some later point.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

psydude posted:

Zeris, requesting that all Nobles get a Kushner in a plate carrier av.

Yes a nobles gang tag would be lovely. Now who should I order to make it for? I'm busy with office things.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Zero and I'm not trying to imply anything else.

I don't know the numbers, and I'm not saying that a first strike is a good idea. I'm saying that NK's supposed 10k artillery isn't an issue since the vast majority of it (if it even still exists) is old, decrepit, and unmanned. If there was modern, manned, tested, and operational conventional ordnance on the other side of the border, then I would think differently.

And what I'm saying is that if they have a 90% failure rate, that's STILL a massive problem. We don't have enough airplanes, bombs, missiles, and ships in the Western Pacific to come close to dealing with that problem.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

not caring here posted:

The going number of expected rounds to fly from NK artillery from about 5 years ago was (if memory serves) 100,000 rounds an hour for 3 hours wherein logistics and mechanical breakages will be a factor.

They could all be duds but that's a lot of poo poo to have flying through the air that you would then not be sure about it going bang at some later point.

Godholio posted:

And what I'm saying is that if they have a 90% failure rate, that's STILL a massive problem. We don't have enough airplanes, bombs, missiles, and ships in the Western Pacific to come close to dealing with that problem.

I agree that there will be a lot of rounds lobbed across the DMZ all the way across the line. We cannot stop everything. Everyone seems to act like Seoul is going to get leveled instantly, though, which I contend isn't possible even if we didn't target the artillery actually in range of them. A bunch of dumb rounds slung across the border will cause a lot of damage for certain, but it doesn't seem possible for it to do anything remotely close to the horrors that have been presented. We're not talking about a modern, trained, equipped, and even properly fed fighting force.

The real risk is any short range missile capable of carrying a nuclear payload.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Zeris posted:

You have incorrectly used "literally" twice on the same page and I'm gonna gently caress you up if you do it again.

:nallears:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

I agree that there will be a lot of rounds lobbed across the DMZ all the way across the line. We cannot stop everything. Everyone seems to act like Seoul is going to get leveled instantly, though, which I contend isn't possible even if we didn't target the artillery actually in range of them.

I agree, but we're talking about a city of 10 million people. And even more in the metro which gets closer to the DMZ. It doesn't take much.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Godholio posted:

I agree, but we're talking about a city of 10 million people. And even more in the metro which gets closer to the DMZ. It doesn't take much.

I really have no idea and am just speculating. I'm not trying to grover out here or anything. I'm just monday morning QBing. I just don't think the threat is very large because there's just no way the equipment is maintained and properly manned to cause massive damage.

And yeah, I know that image is from China, but it fits the discussion.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You're right in the risk is no longer mass casualties due to artilery. That's been phased out and replaced by obscene casualties by ballistic missile. Even if they're experiencing a 20% failure rate on the missiles and you take a conservative 50/50 dud rate on the warheads that's still Potentially 20+ detonations in the region. Open source intel has the norks capable of producing 1-2 compact warheads a month. On top of their fissile material production numbers if you assume that their sales of lithium-6 wasn't a bluff than they are easily capable of boosting yields even further.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Zeris posted:

Yes a nobles gang tag would be lovely. Now who should I order to make it for? I'm busy with office things.

Make Mr. Nice pay for everyone's gang tags and then stiff him on the cost because you're too busy doing officer things.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mike-o posted:

Make Mr. Nice pay for everyone's gang tags and then stiff him on the cost because you're too busy doing officer things.

:lol:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Watching Camp Casey get leveled would be oddly cathartic if they somehow managed to evacuate everyone before it happened, and I'm only throwing that last part in to not look like a totally heartless rear end in a top hat.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Mike-o posted:

:perfect:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

How many rounds have to hit for it to be relevant, do you think?

Several tens of thousands directly in a populated urban area or key military targets.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

TBeats posted:

Watching Camp Casey get leveled would be oddly cathartic if they somehow managed to evacuate everyone before it happened, and I'm only throwing that last part in to not look like a totally heartless rear end in a top hat.

I'd be okay with 2ID leadership being left in there, but otherwise I agree wholeheartedly.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I'd even volunteer to spot for the norks just to watch that place burn

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Mike-o posted:

Mr Nice you're hereby ordered to outfit GIP gentry with The Kush(tm) tags. Being receipts to 1SG who will reimburse in 6-8 weeks.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Zeris posted:

I'd even volunteer to spot for the norks just to watch that place burn

hahahah goddamn

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/Jordanfabian/status/851136972332699649

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Thank Christ for McMaster, at least someone in the White House knows what the gently caress they're doing.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
I haven't been around SA in a while; working on real life. However all the assaults on the internet by the new FCC chairman and the Republicans are pissing me off a bit. I ended up throwing up a website as my attempt to protest. The premise is that you can search for any individual using a name and state and it displays a random list of websites that are purported to be the last pages viewed by them. I threw up a more detailed thread about it over in GBS https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816434&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Right now I'm trying to get people to help me add more websites to it's database so the search results are a bit more varied. After that I got a friend that is a marketing exec and social media whiz that I'm going to pay to put up some facebook ads for me to see if I can draw some more attention and outrage to some of this. Figured I'd throw this out if any of you guys wanted to help or just have fun checking it out.

https://internethistoryrecord.com/

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm curious how McMaster is getting Trump to OK all of these changes.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Fuckboi Richard Spencer beat up (again) and glitter bombed

One of many great parts to the story

quote:

Spencer said what happened was that Antifa disallowed him to get in his ‘getaway’ car and the police instructed him to get in a cab. Once he was in one the cab driver (who Spencer mocked for being of Indian origin) got out of the cab, frightened of the ensuing protesters, and Spencer had to take off running.”

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Delizin posted:

I haven't been around SA in a while; working on real life. However all the assaults on the internet by the new FCC chairman and the Republicans are pissing me off a bit. I ended up throwing up a website as my attempt to protest. The premise is that you can search for any individual using a name and state and it displays a random list of websites that are purported to be the last pages viewed by them. I threw up a more detailed thread about it over in GBS https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816434&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Right now I'm trying to get people to help me add more websites to it's database so the search results are a bit more varied. After that I got a friend that is a marketing exec and social media whiz that I'm going to pay to put up some facebook ads for me to see if I can draw some more attention and outrage to some of this. Figured I'd throw this out if any of you guys wanted to help or just have fun checking it out.

https://internethistoryrecord.com/

You don't have Twitter listed under Trumps android apps, immersion ruined.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

cowboy elvis posted:

"He/she was making fun of you on twitter."

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

cowboy elvis posted:

Trump loves all the military people he has around him

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

cowboy elvis posted:

"We both know I'm one of the only competent people in your entire cabinet. Either the hacks go or I go and you will look like a complete fool flailing around. I'm the only one who can make you look like you can make credible decision."

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Guys..

Take a deep breath. We aren't doing poo poo with North Korea.

The carrier group and any additional deployment of resources is a dog and pony show intended to force China to get off its rear end and pull Kim Jong Dipshit back in line. We have been doing the same loving thing since.. What.. The 50s?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Ok, so April 9 2017 is the day that our assumptions about Trump start being correct again?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's my thing- He's entirely unpredictable. Taking out the Norks nuclear infrastructure and dismantling their IADs wouldn't be a huge effort- and it doesn't require boots on the ground.

Does North Korea launch attacks against the south? Dunno. Watching your country simultaneously exploding at the same time as your C-2 and nukes and IADs are gone will make a guy pause.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I can think of 1 or 2 things Trump might say 'hey lets bomb this to show them we are boss'. 1. is the launch site they use on the east cost to shoot rockets when they feel like being a stompy brat. 2. would be the nuke plants/sites used for the weapons program. He could bomb either of those and think that they would not respond with force. Then 1-3 days later DPRK would attack.

grover.txt

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

That's my thing- He's entirely unpredictable. Taking out the Norks nuclear infrastructure and dismantling their IADs wouldn't be a huge effort- and it doesn't require boots on the ground.

Does North Korea launch attacks against the south? Dunno. Watching your country simultaneously exploding at the same time as your C-2 and nukes and IADs are gone will make a guy pause.

Two obese dictators with severe daddy issues banking on the world's fear of their unpredictabilty...Why don't they just gently caress already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

KJU has to be rather concerned right now. And that's not exactly a good thing, either.

• Locked thread