Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

nigga crab pollock posted:

*sets precedent for executive millitary action using robots*

im absolutely haunted by what's happened in syria. haunted. my soul aches

*signs executive order allowing for less oversight on drone strikes*

It's terrible, the civil war in syria.

*orders tactical strikes against homes and hospitals*

We cannot stand for a country that attacks innocent civillians

B b b but gas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

*sets precedent for executive millitary action using robots*

im absolutely haunted by what's happened in syria. haunted. my soul aches

*signs executive order allowing for less oversight on drone strikes*

It's terrible, the civil war in syria.

*orders tactical strikes against homes and hospitals*

We cannot stand for a country that attacks innocent civillians

Lmao shithead try again after we drop chemical warheads on a civilian populace

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

T.S. Smelliot posted:

i mean you know how the saying goes, two wrongs make a right, right?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

T.S. Smelliot posted:

Chemical weapons like when we used white phosphorus in Fallujah?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Like I really don't know how you can argue that the us is the good guy when we invade and attack multiple countries and write off civilian deaths as collateral damage

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
No more like the depleted uranium rounds we poured into domestic residences that's making their babies come out all wrong

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Also pretend I rewrote your little story about watching dead babies from gas from the perspective of a father pinned under the rubble of what was once his home after a drone stroke watching his dead children while he slowly dies of his internal injuries

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Blue Train posted:

and write off civilian deaths as collateral damage

What else are you going to write them off as?

Welcome to like every single military action like ever.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Fog Tripper posted:

What else are you going to write them off as?

Welcome to like every single military action like ever.

Acknowledge and try to reduce them rather than ignoring them

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Or maybe just not invade in the first place but I know that's outside the realm of possibility

CBT Time
Mar 4, 2005
It's midnight, you're shitposting on something awful. Outside the window a deranged man gets out of his car with a butcher's knife. He's broken into your neighbor's house. Now he's slicing the throats of your neighbor's children on the front lawn. "Better just sit here and do nothing because it's not me" you say as you draw the blinds.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

CBT Time posted:

It's midnight, you're shitposting on something awful. Outside the window a deranged man gets out of his car with a butcher's knife. He's broken into your neighbor's house. Now he's slicing the throats of your neighbor's children on the front lawn. "Better just sit here and do nothing because it's not me" you say as you draw the blinds.

Your metaphors take after their creator: both are simple

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CBT Time posted:

It's midnight, you're shitposting on something awful. Outside the window a deranged man gets out of his car with a butcher's knife. He's broken into your neighbor's house. Now he's slicing the throats of your neighbor's children on the front lawn. "Better see how much the neighbor's house is going for on Zillow so I can buy it, knock it down and expand my yard"

Fixed that for Democratic goons

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Nikki Haley: If you look at his actions, if you look at the situation, it's going to be hard to see a government that's peaceful and stable with (Bashar al-Assad). Regime change is something that we think is going to happen because all of the parties are going to see that Assad is not the leader that needs to be taking place for Syria

I'm sure that will be super easy and without consequence

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
All it took to change the non interventionist MAGA types into full war in Syria now is a chemical weapon attack, wonder why they didn't care about you know, the multitude of other deaths leading up to that.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

quote:

That message was sent Thursday by President Donald Trump who had been clearly shaken by images of small children gassed to death by the nerve agent. He ordered a surgical strike of the Syrian airfield that had launched the gas attack. And, he did it smartly. Fifty-nine tomahawk missiles launched from an aircraft carrier hit their target. At $1.59 million a piece, the attack cost the Defense Department $93,810,000.

Plus probably like ~15-20 million for administrative and operational costs for all the ships and personnel

Good job shooting up the concrete airstrips and some bunkers on that airbase and killing like 6 random Syrian troops, nice

nice use of a sly hundo million there

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Teikanmi posted:

Plus probably like ~15-20 million for administrative and operational costs for all the ships and personnel

Good job shooting up the concrete airstrips and some bunkers on that airbase and killing like 6 random Syrian troops, nice

nice use of a sly hundo million there

The real fallout is the alt right going crazy because Trump and Haley are now talking about a regime change.

Leave poor Putin Alllone!!!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Fog Tripper posted:

Maybe like Obama, Trumps views have "evolved"? The fact that both people like Panzeh and yourself leave the whole use of chemical weapons out of your counterpoints is horrifying. (to take a page out of the liberal book on mock outrage)

Your guy drew the red line, this one has the balls to enforce it.

I thought it was a Republican congress that didn't have the balls to enforce it?

Yes, his views evolved. Just like his views evolved about punishing women that seek abortions and just like the repubs views on healthcare evolved from passing 60 votes to repeal Obamacare when it didn't matter.

He's a giant loving idiot. His "views" are whatever pops into his retard brain without any sort of knowledge or contemplation and the reason they "evolve" so frequently is because someone on his staff has to point out that he's a giant loving idiot and he should walk back what he said.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 9, 2017

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
imagine coming out of a 10 year coma and finding out that liberals and democrats have been pining for blood in the middle east for years now and the right is now fervently against interventionist foreign policy

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Blue Train posted:

Acknowledge and try to reduce them rather than ignoring them

OK? Who has not been doing that? Who has been "ignoring them"?

I mean holy poo poo dude, do you think we haven't gotten better at reducing them from say, Vietnam and WWII?

Wouldn't you say that we are just as responsible for civilian deaths when we allow idiots like Assad to gas them as we are when they become collateral because of idiots that hide behind women and children?

Blue Train posted:

Or maybe just not invade in the first place but I know that's outside the realm of possibility

Once that side of the world stops needing a babysitter, then we will stop being babysitters.

If we do nothing, people whine. If we act on things like, I dunno, gassing civilians, people whine.
With great power comes great responsibility and stuff.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 9, 2017

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

imagine coming out of a 10 year coma and finding out that liberals and democrats have been pining for blood in the middle east for years now and the right is now fervently against interventionist foreign policy

Maybe Obama was the antichrist because he inverted reality

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Mordor She Wrote posted:

All it took to change the non interventionist MAGA types into full war in Syria now is a chemical weapon attack, wonder why they didn't care about you know, the multitude of other deaths leading up to that.

Teikanmi posted:

Do you imagine our military is on call and were just kicking back at home with beers?

CBT Time
Mar 4, 2005

Toadvine posted:

Your metaphors take after their creator: both are simple

Your mom is simple. Ad hominem is a simple response when you don't have a counterargument deeper than a hippy peace sign.

CBT Time fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 9, 2017

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

CBT Time posted:

Your mom is simple. Ad hominem is simple response when you don't have a counterargument deeper than a hippy peace sign.

You don't have an argument you have a simple emotional metaphor for a complex international crisis with a straw man on top.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

T.S. Smelliot posted:

:lol: Look at this goofus who hasn't heard of Vietnam.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING

*invades Syria gets stuck in quagmire causing mass chaos and many deaths of us soldiers and Syrian civilians*

Well shoot, maybe next time will work.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

scrubs season six posted:

punishing women that seek abortions

Are you really that dense? He never said it out of the blue, it came up when he was pressed for over a minute on "if abortions were made illegal, what should happen to the women that still have them done?"

His view isn't "women need to be punished", it's "the law should be enforced"

Though I'll agree with you, he's a supreme dumbass for falling into that trap and answering a hypothetical that was obviously designed to show him in a terrible light

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

Are you really that dense? He never said it out of the blue, it came up when he was pressed for over a minute on "if abortions were made illegal, what should happen to the women that still have them done?"

His view isn't "women need to be punished", it's "the law should be enforced"

Though I'll agree with you, he's a supreme dumbass for falling into that trap and answering a hypothetical that was obviously designed to show him in a terrible light

Except that basically no one says that the women should be punished, it's that the doctors who perform them that should be

CBT Time
Mar 4, 2005

Toadvine posted:

You don't have an argument you have a simple emotional metaphor for a complex international crisis with a straw man on top.

I explained how I felt about the strike previously. You? Nothing beyond vague opposition. If you are so opposed you must have a better alternative to share with us. Surely.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Fog Tripper posted:

Do you imagine our military is on call and were just kicking back at home with beers?

What

lol Are you agreeing with me and getting angry about it?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Teikanmi posted:

What

lol Are you agreeing with me and getting angry about it?

I am not agreeing with you. I am pointing out that " administrative and operational costs for all the ships and personnel" are already a thing and using them for an actual purpose is not magically driving costs up.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

really queer Christmas posted:

WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING

*invades Syria gets stuck in quagmire causing mass chaos and many deaths of us soldiers and Syrian civilians*

Well shoot, maybe next time will work.

Meanwhile an insane fat Korean dictator with nukes who's citizens routinely starve to death is not an issue. China should deal with it. Anytime you see a picture of dead children you must stop thinking and do whatever you're asked to do politically. Even if it's gonna cost trillions, cause more deaths than if you didn't go all in, and not make the invaded country any better off. Foreign governments and the military industrial complex want it to happen so you gotta go along with it. Too bad Nikki Haley didn't hold up any pictures of the kids killed by drone strikes in Pakistan and Yemen at the U.N. Also allow me to explain why we should go to an avoidable war by conflating it to an episode of Seinfeld cause I'm such a smart guy who understands all geopolitical issues cause I spent 25 minutes on google.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CBT Time posted:

Yeah this is totally a good analogy. Also have you stopped to think that Trump is actually the real victim here and leftists are the real racists?

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Krustic posted:

Meanwhile an insane fat Korean dictator with nukes who's citizens routinely starve to death is not an issue. China should deal with it. Anytime you see a picture of dead children you must stop thinking and do whatever you're asked to do politically. Even if it's gonna cost trillions, cause more deaths than if you didn't go all in, and not make the invaded country any better off. Foreign governments and the military industrial complex want it to happen so you gotta go along with it. Too bad Nikki Haley didn't hold up any pictures of the kids killed by drone strikes in Pakistan and Yemen at the U.N. Also allow me to explain why we should go to an avoidable war by conflating it to an episode of Seinfeld cause I'm such a smart guy who understands all geopolitical issues cause I spent 25 minutes on google.

Trump: shoots missiles from offshore in a standoff attack. Gets accused of "getting involved in a quagmire" and "spending trillions" and complaints about drone strikes that happened under his predecessor. Also complaining about not having already started a war with a guy that has hundreds of artillery pieces on a friendly neighbor's capital city.

Obama: Actually does the drone strikes, and puts actual boots on the ground in Syria in paltry numbers to accomplish something or other. Also cuts an awesome deal to totally get rid of all Syrian chemical weapons forever. Totally cool because he wasn't a Republican or Donald Trump.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Tell us more about how a single cruise missile attack Assad can't reply to is "full war".

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Majorian posted:

leftists are the real racists

True regardless of anything Trump says or does.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Kiryen posted:

Tell us more about how a single cruise missile attack Assad can't reply to is "full war".

I can see you're warming up for the Olympic mental gymnastics.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Blue Train posted:

Chemical weapons like when we used white phosphorus in Fallujah?

This is an incendiary weapon, not a chemical weapon.

Chemical weapon - kills through interference in the body's biochemical processes. Cannot affect nonbiological targets at all.

Non-chemical weapon - kills and destroys both biological and non-biological targets through the release of energy.

Fire = energy release.

If you think WP is a chemical weapon, then you think explosives are "chemical weapons" as well. High explosive produces explosions through a chemical reaction, hth.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Kiryen posted:

Trump: shoots missiles from offshore in a standoff attack. Gets accused of "getting involved in a quagmire" and "spending trillions" and complaints about drone strikes that happened under his predecessor. Also complaining about not having already started a war with a guy that has hundreds of artillery pieces on a friendly neighbor's capital city.

Yea why would you look to previous experiences in recent history when his own staff is talking about regime change. Guess we should ignore how this lien worked out before because the event of the last twenty years are in now way applicable to today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Krustic posted:

Serious question, why are the people who go full on "____ is a horrible dictator and we have to stop him!" never hyped up for war with North Korea, like why does the moral imperative end there

Or are they and I just haven't noticed because the only neocons I routinely engage with are my parents

• Locked thread