Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Phobophilia posted:

apparently cheese needs to be imported from earthside

which is pretty weird, a combination of fats and proteins emulsified in water seems trivial to synthesize on an industrial level, as is fermenting it all up. you could probably skip all steps and use tryptone as your flavor enhancer, msg style

People do do that illegally. It's more along the lines of how you can't sell your sparkling wine as champagne unless it's actually from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

Toast Museum posted:

They were paraphrasing Prax from earlier in the season.

Yes, my goofy attempt at a setup failed. :/

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah there are definitely fungal curds and presumably cheese-like substances, I guess they just aren't that similar to the real deal which is considered a luxury.

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/111731/food-availability-in-the-expanse-novel-series

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

apparently cheese needs to be imported from earthside

which is pretty weird, a combination of fats and proteins emulsified in water seems trivial to synthesize on an industrial level, as is fermenting it all up. you could probably skip all steps and use tryptone as your flavor enhancer, msg style

We already have that:

Gonna go down a storm at my next dinner party. Who needs Camembert, eh?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

You guys I'm loving furious about the Mei situation!

You have to let it go!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man, that was a great episode. I like how this show knows exactly how long to hold onto a myster.

The location of Drapers escape seems really familiar to it. As they do shoot in Toronto, it's very likely the MC Embassy is somewhere I've been too. If i had to guess possibly the library at UoT or it's dorms. They have that mid 20th century brutalism look to them.

Isn't Frankie Adams a MMA fighter? I'd think she'd know how to punch someone.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

twistedmentat posted:

Isn't Frankie Adams a MMA fighter? I'd think she'd know how to punch someone.

Amateur boxer is what I keep hearing. So far, I can't tell if that extends past one losing bout for a charity event two years ago.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I've warmed up to Bobby somewhat. Her sneaking out of the embassy and finding her way to the shore helped quite a bit with developing her character.

I'm kind of annoyed they still haven't actually shown a proto monster hacking people to pieces. It all happens off-scene and the viewer is left to use their imagination. I guess they're saving it for later but at the very least I was hoping to get a brief glimpse of it when the chaplain was showing Bobby the drone footage of her squad firing in the direction of the monster. It would have been cool to show a shape leap at the squad and then having the video feed cut off, or something along those lines.

Also also, Shawn Doyle has been killing it these past few episodes.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 9, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
You missed a post camel. Apparently the show runners said they ran out of something to show the battle.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

The location of Drapers escape seems really familiar to it. As they do shoot in Toronto, it's very likely the MC Embassy is somewhere I've been too. If i had to guess possibly the library at UoT or it's dorms. They have that mid 20th century brutalism look to them.

It's U of T Scarborough's Science building lol.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's U of T Scarborough's Science building lol.

I was close!

Now I'm curious where else in the city they've shot, though they haven't been on earth that much that could just be a set or cgi. Where Draper met the hobos is probably somewhere else on campus.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The best part of that escape is there's a regular old blue emergency light on the wall that they had to sci-fi up. It was hilarious.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 10, 2017

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I was close!

Now I'm curious where else in the city they've shot, though they haven't been on earth that much that could just be a set or cgi. Where Draper met the hobos is probably somewhere else on campus.

https://moviemaps.org/movies/1af

HoboTown is the underpass by the Lakeshore condo wasteland. Which makes sense because that area is probably going to be a slum in 20 years, let alone 200.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Whew finally caught up on the show so I can start reading this again.

I'd been really hoping that the Agua kid wasn't being set up as the one who shoots the ring and gets turned into jelly, but since it seems like he's going radical opa, I guess not.

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 10, 2017

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Where Draper met the hobos is probably somewhere else on campus.

They're not on basic, those are the ones who got into university!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

enraged_camel posted:

I've warmed up to Bobby somewhat. Her sneaking out of the embassy and finding her way to the shore helped quite a bit with developing her character.

I'm kind of annoyed they still haven't actually shown a proto monster hacking people to pieces. It all happens off-scene and the viewer is left to use their imagination. I guess they're saving it for later but at the very least I was hoping to get a brief glimpse of it when the chaplain was showing Bobby the drone footage of her squad firing in the direction of the monster. It would have been cool to show a shape leap at the squad and then having the video feed cut off, or something along those lines.

Also also, Shawn Doyle has been killing it these past few episodes.

Considering the monsters are CGI I personally dread full view action scenes with them. TV shows are not known for doing full view of monsters very well. Even Stranger Things, which was quality all around, had an ugly rear end monster once it was in full view

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Zzulu posted:

Considering the monsters are CGI I personally dread full view action scenes with them. TV shows are not known for doing full view of monsters very well. Even Stranger Things, which was quality all around, had an ugly rear end monster once it was in full view

My main concern here is that, because TV budgets generally shrink over the life of a show, if they can't afford to show one monster killing four soldiers (already a massively downplayed version of the book massacre) then some later seasons are going to struggle with much more important and expensive visuals.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm glad they brought up Naomi's child this early on, because it sort of comes out of nowhere in the books without any foreshadowing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm glad they brought up Naomi's child this early on, because it sort of comes out of nowhere in the books without any foreshadowing.

They foreshadowed him a couple of times already too which is great.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

PriorMarcus posted:

My main concern here is that, because TV budgets generally shrink over the life of a show, if they can't afford to show one monster killing four soldiers (already a massively downplayed version of the book massacre) then some later seasons are going to struggle with much more important and expensive visuals.

What was the massacre like in the books?

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Earth and MArs each had a platoon rolling around, not a half squad. And the Martians had a mech

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

They should just make Kickstarters for extra special effects.

The show has a massive number of fans, many of them are nerds.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Daktari posted:

Earth and MArs each had a platoon rolling around, not a half squad. And the Martians had a mech

And a single monster took them all out? :stare:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

enraged_camel posted:

They should just make Kickstarters for extra special effects.

The show has a massive number of fans, many of them are nerds.

tbh im surprised TV shows havent used this form of budgeting, they could probably get a few million for S3 if they started bleeding nerds dry now

Just promise a mech battle or something and watch the dollars roll in

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
And now Holding is suiting up, w/ his hunting boots :getin:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Zzulu posted:

Book spoilers about the monster: It's like the Regenerators from Resident Evil 4, except it can run 50 miles per hour on a low-gravity rock like Ganymede, and is strong enough to turn UN and Martian marines in power armor into projectiles.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

6 UN marines, 20 MCRN marines, 1 mech named Yojimbo

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Phi230 posted:

6 UN marines, 20 MCRN marines, 1 mech named Yojimbo

And before that, however many UN marines there were before six of them headed for the MCRN.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Zzulu posted:

Bullets passed through it while the holes filled in, and it was strong enough to tear open the armored mech. I think the claws went into powered armor without having to tear.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Bullets passed through it while the holes filled in, and it was strong enough to tear open the armored mech. I think the claws went into powered armor without having to tear.

So magic.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Bates posted:

So magic.

An adaptive biological agent that can repurpose an asteroid and 100,000 people into a huge stealth field and inertialess drive seems a bit more magic than using it to make a human shaped protoplasm that doesn't care about kinetic damage, jams radio waves nearby, and can exert more force than biologically evolved creatures. :shrug:

Or one that builds glowing towers on Venus for some unknown purpose.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did they not have enough of the suits or something? Surely they could have grabbed some non speaking extras. The dialog makes it seem like there were more people. "We formed a line" doesn't sound all that impressive when it's just 4 people standing 10 feet away from each other.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

When the show first came on my coworker and I were both really excited by the prospect of seeing the Ganymede fight, and I REALLY wanted to see the mech.

When do we get to see that drat drone footage? I'm assuming that's something Ashur will be getting off the tablet Bobbie stole.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Cojawfee posted:

Did they not have enough of the suits or something? Surely they could have grabbed some non speaking extras. The dialog makes it seem like there were more people. "We formed a line" doesn't sound all that impressive when it's just 4 people standing 10 feet away from each other.

Lol

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Cojawfee posted:

The show doesn't really highlight what a technical marvel the suits are as a multiplier. Think less "people in hardshell armor with mounted guns" and more "40K space marine" level dangerous. Except the armor is very slimline and lets you move and get through relatively tight spaces easily. Apparently in a later book, a suit of armor eats a tank round to the faceplate and survives.
And the monster is hit with literally thousands of 2mm rounds which just pass through and have zero effect. You'd think they'd blow enough little tiny bits of the monster away that eventually just loss of mass would be an issue.

Also, I just finished the second book, and I'd recommend them to anyone who's a fan. The show is... well, better, but the books fill in a lot and still definitely manage to be interesting on their own.
Seems fairly impossible to finish the second book in two episodes, but there's a pretty obvious spot that would be a good cliffhanger, so get ready for that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

https://moviemaps.org/movies/1af

HoboTown is the underpass by the Lakeshore condo wasteland. Which makes sense because that area is probably going to be a slum in 20 years, let alone 200.

And the checkpoint I recognize as well.

It's nice to see a show not shot in Vancouver with the same locations constantly used.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Cojawfee posted:

Designing and building the suits was apparently really expensive. If I recall correctly, it was done by the people that designed the Iron Man suits. Unlike the Iron Man suits, the actors actually have decent mobility, which I'm sure added to the complexity.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

twistedmentat posted:

And the checkpoint I recognize as well.

It's nice to see a show not shot in Vancouver with the same locations constantly used.

Yeah instead of Vancouver brutalist schools and broadcasting centres its Toronto's brutalist buildings. Instead of vancouver's poorly built glass curtain wall condo towers, it's Toronto's.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Cojawfee posted:

The book makes a much bigger deal of it, but the suits make you into a certifiable badass. Small arms fire poses no threat whatsoever, and the targeting system and gun are absolutely lethal aimbots.

In the Ganymede monster book chapter Bobbie shoots a small spray from her suit-mounted rifle. A single squeeze of the trigger lets loose like 20+ rounds, and she internally monologues that even though the target is moving fast and is hundreds of meters away, she has no doubt that every round penetrated the same hole in the target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
You all get that the question was about the television props and not the in-story technology, right?

• Locked thread