Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Parkingtigers posted:

Loving the concept art for the Russian DLC. A snowy coastline, a train with a snowplough, lancers and a new armoured car/van. Gimme that cold weather combat.

https://twitter.com/battlefield/status/850015265077288960

Can't wait to get sniped by some guy with a Mondragon half way across the map in the middle of a blizzard. Seriously, I'm pretty psyched for the Russians to be added and get winter weather.

They won't do it, but DLC set in the African Colonies would be interesting, or one of the Pacific. Germans vs Japanese, blow peoples minds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
No joke the concept of snow maps was a driving force behind me getting premium from the jump. Can't wait.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
How are people getting the custom icons on bf? like ones that are clearly not made with the in game editor and are uploaded from somewhere

Edit:

that is just rich :allears:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Over 100 hours in and I only just noticed that your emblem is engraved onto the guns. Well, I think some guns, and it may be dependent on the skin, but definitely on there. Now I need that really good DickButt icon I saw one goon rocking, so that when the 1906 Selbsladter runs dry I briefly get to see it on the exposed bolt.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

e.pilot posted:

How are people getting the custom icons on bf? like ones that are clearly not made with the in game editor and are uploaded from somewhere

if I remember correctly the BF4 emblem editor available online on Battlelog is way better than the in game editor for BF1
Since BF4 emblems carry over to BF1, if you google BF4 emblems there's massive libraries to choose from that you can import to your BF4 Battlelog

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013

Parkingtigers posted:

Over 100 hours in and I only just noticed that your emblem is engraved onto the guns. Well, I think some guns, and it may be dependent on the skin, but definitely on there. Now I need that really good DickButt icon I saw one goon rocking, so that when the 1906 Selbsladter runs dry I briefly get to see it on the exposed bolt.

http://emblemsbf.com/find/Dickbutt

This website is probably the most popular but I think there are a few others.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Live At Five! posted:

I would love a game mode that lasts even longer than frontline where you hide in dugouts in trenches while you're just loving bombarded by hundreds of artillery shells and then you die of a random piece of shrapnel that hits you in the head. You never see the other team and if you make a break for no man's land you get stuck in barbed wire and get shot. I've just finished reading a memoir from a French soldier and one from a German officer and it seems about accurate.

Storm of Steel? That book is incredible. "The wall of flame from the artillery was beautiful, and then I was splattered with guts from the guy next to me! Horrific and awesome, A+++ would go to war again!"

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Parkingtigers posted:

You'll strike fear into the hearts of your enemies with it all over the doors of your tanks and sidecars too. :3:

I think we randomly ended up on opposing teams the other day so I threw you a friend request because I recognized your forums name.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I hope Canada is in the Apocalypse DLC where we fight with pee soaked rags covering our mouths

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Ol Standard Retard posted:

You'll strike fear into the hearts of your enemies with it all over the doors of your tanks and sidecars too. :3:

I think we randomly ended up on opposing teams the other day so I threw you a friend request because I recognized your forums name.

Striking fear in to the hearts of my enemy.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Supposedly there's double exp this weekend. Let's play together and use some squad boosts

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

twistedmentat posted:

The craziest thing that happened to me last night is an artillery truck tried to run me over, but it just did a jump over me because I was behind a rock.

It took me way too long to sift through clips but I just had to dig this silly poo poo out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlit-m55Gvg

spoiler: repairing an upside downed turtle is a sisyphean task :(

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

mellowjournalism posted:

It took me way too long to sift through clips but I just had to dig this silly poo poo out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlit-m55Gvg

spoiler: repairing an upside downed turtle is a sisyphean task :(

That's fantastic. So just need to get the other Medic weapon that requires revives and the sweeper, becuase gently caress getting 50 kills with the gweher infantry or the automatico and 20 headshots with the mp18.

I don't know what it is, but I am completely rear end with Assault except in Fort, but then assault with a shotgun rules in fort.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
that's because assault is the the most rear end class, it's kind of useless unless you just want to run and gun or die a lot IMO

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Laminator posted:

that's because assault is the the most rear end class, it's kind of useless unless you just want to run and gun or die a lot IMO

Yes, and?

Support: run and gun and die a lot, can lie on ground and fire many bullets before dying, can blow up roofs with mortar
Scout: run and gun and die a lot, can use flares to spot where he will more likely be shot from
Medic: run and gun and die slightly less because he can heal himself
Assault: run and gun and die a lot, blows up motherfucking tanks

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 8, 2017

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Laminator posted:

Lol

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

a mysterious cloak posted:

Storm of Steel? That book is incredible. "The wall of flame from the artillery was beautiful, and then I was splattered with guts from the guy next to me! Horrific and awesome, A+++ would go to war again!"

Storm of Steel is a great counterbalance to the book Poilu where a French corporal talks about how lovely every single officer in the French army is and how awful and miserable everything about the war is. To be fair this dude was on front lines from late 1914 through early 1918 so I can't really blame him for his point of view. Highly recommend checking out Poilu.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Laminator posted:

My problem is most battles are more about long range shooting than close in firefights.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Every map has close quarter locations where assaults shine, you just gotta use your map knowledge to get to them. Also once you become handy with the rocket gun you'll be able to extend your reach easily enough. Assault wouldn't be the most popular class if it was rear end :v:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

twistedmentat posted:

My problem is most battles are more about long range shooting than close in firefights.

Every once in a while I get in a solid up close and personal firefight with Assault and it's just magical.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Shooting people from far away is a failure of the imagination. Assault is the best class because you can do work up close and blow up vehicles.

Cap points, kill six guys at the same time, blow up the enemy team's nice things vs. stand far away and shoot slowly.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Good lord I just went 64-0 in the trench fighter on Soissons. C and D are just beautiful for delicious multikills.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
I suppose I'm bitter because I'm loving sick of being killed over and over again by people with Hellrigels and A10s. I never feel like I'm doing much of anything for team play with Assault, either - the antivehicle weapons I think are underpowered overall and spending 5 respawns throwing AT nades or trying to throw down dynamite to take out a tank gets old.

I still think that BF is a team play based game, and that the assault class doesn't do much for helping out teammates. If you're wanting to do shotgun running or get high KD or whatever and you're having a good time with Assault then go for it! And we need people to play like that in the game. But I personally think there are more fun ways to play :shrug:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Limpet charge suicide missions are just the best, run in to a crowd of pubbies, they think they've won and killed you, kaboom multikill :v:

Skater h8er
May 11, 2013

e.pilot posted:

Limpet charge suicide missions are just the best, run in to a crowd of pubbies, they think they've won and killed you, kaboom multikill :v:

Limpets are seriously so easy to kill with especially when people hole up in a house http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/SKATER%20H8ER/video/29385735

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

e.pilot posted:

Multikills are why I switched out my rocket gun for dynamite. I don't whip out my dynamite as often as I did with the rocket gun, but when I do it's well worth it.

Skater h8er
May 11, 2013
loving killed a tank behemoth with 60 limpets http://xboxclips.com/SKATER+H8ER/aa77f477-5e50-414d-8165-032b46fd2555

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've suicide killed a lot of light tanks with limpets. Though seriously, nothing better than getting killed by a guy who then runs right through your tripwire.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Laminator posted:

...the antivehicle weapons I think are underpowered overall and spending 5 respawns throwing AT nades or trying to throw down dynamite to take out a tank gets old.

I still think that BF is a team play based game, and that the assault class doesn't do much for helping out teammates...

1. As a self-professed tank sperg, :lol: at the idea of the anti-vehicle weapons being underpowered. As an assault, you have the ability take out a tank by yourself if you don't play stupidly. Now, add just 2 more competent assault players and think how fast you can take a tank down. Anti-vehicle weapons are in no way underpowered.

2. To respond to your second point there, yes, BF is designed to be a team based game, but yes, an assault class can help a team out a generous amount. They're the only class (besides support) that can outright destroy vehicles, they're great in close quarters for protecting other classes, like scouts, and they contribute to team score overall with decent k/d ratios.

Yeah, assault is a pretty great class and can rack up points pretty quickly if played smartly.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

How do you take a tank out solo as an assault?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Chemmy posted:

Heavy anti-tank grenades and the rocket gun give you enough ammo to take a tank down alone. It's not easy, but it can be done. I've done it personally a bunch, so it's definitely not too hard - especially with the reduced cooldown on the insta-repair.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Chemmy posted:

Smoke grenades :ssh:

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Hell sometimes you even forget to use the smoke grenade :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvc8IoLDiTI

Tanks are in a good place now. Nerfing quick repair was the right idea and I have no idea why they put it in the game to begin with.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Are those squad mates goons because those are some excellent screen names lol

E: a dude really wanted to kill a fellow horsebro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSkTcdPrjwc

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 10, 2017

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
20 headshots with the mp18 optical isn't taking nearly as long as I thought it would. Kind of just using it and letting it happen as I play instead of setting out to get them and managed to get 17 last night.

Floofy
Jan 17, 2004
I had a copy of this game gifted to me by a friend that works at dice in Europe. It is, however, a euro version of the game and i can't buy the expansions as i'm in canada. Does anyone know how i would be able to open up the expansions without having to buy a new copy of the game?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Create a European PSN and buy the DLC through that, but play the came with your usual PSN.

I had to do the opposite when I moved from the UK to the US and bought a US version of the game.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
We just had the 100 year anniversary of Vimy and that seems like a really obvious future map.

I was also thinking about the possibilities of winter maps, but I'm sure most of it is impossible. Like snowfall actually building up, or cold having an actual effect of men and equipment. It being Russia, the summer thaw is also a factor, with mud and rain causing issues.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
~leveloution~ snow storm would be cool if they didn't gently caress it up like the fog we have now (dice will gently caress it up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

winter.mute posted:

some of those frontline matches are so drat long you can do a couple of the "get <x number> of kills with <specific weapon> in a round" assignments before they end

either i've got the worst loving luck or something has changed with frontlines,
i decided to knock out the last two 15 kill assignments and played at least twelve rounds today that haven't lasted more than 10-15 min
i've tried multiple servers so it's not just one incredibly bad team i ended up on or against