Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CubanMissile posted:

His constant narration of everything in every scene almost killed the show for me in season one.

It did lead to that great bit towards the end of season 2 where he starts to do his narration after they run down Escobar and then a soldier blows Escobar's brains out and his narration just stumbles to a sudden stop :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

synthetik posted:

They cast too big of an actress for her not to be more involved in the future.

Isn't she a bit part tv actress?

She's as much a star as Captain Panaka.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She's one of the most recognizable characters in the flagship HBO show with crazy ratings

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Holby City was a big deal too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jedit posted:

That's a neat trick, because Mace Windu is in all three of those movies.

Huh, for some reason I was thinking he didnt appear till clones but youre right hes at the council.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You forget Mace was in Phantom because he doesn't do anything. The same could go for the rest of the Jedi. It was supposed to be moving when the Jedi all get purged but the only thing I knew about them was that that the pointy-headed guy was called Kit Fisto.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Mu Zeta posted:

She's one of the most recognizable characters in the flagship HBO show with crazy ratings

she's not very recognizable with a chrome bucket on her head

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You forget Mace was in Phantom because he doesn't do anything. The same could go for the rest of the Jedi. It was supposed to be moving when the Jedi all get purged but the only thing I knew about them was that that the pointy-headed guy was called Kit Fisto.

Kit Fisto doesn't get purged.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

sassassin posted:

Kit Fisto doesn't get purged.

And he wasn't the pointy headed guy, that was Ki Adi Mundi. A guy who had special permission from the jedi council to gently caress.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

sassassin posted:

Isn't she a bit part tv actress?

She's as much a star as Captain Panaka.

She's a giant actress. She's heads and shoulders above the people she works with.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Barudak posted:

Episode 1-3 has two black guys, but since they dont overlap the films they appear in I guess its not too different.

Jar Jar is canonically black?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Fil5000 posted:

And he wasn't the pointy headed guy, that was Ki Adi Mundi. A guy who had special permission from the jedi council to gently caress.

I'm afraid to ask, but...I want to know more.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I'm afraid to ask, but...I want to know more.

He was part of an endangered species so it was his ethical duty to have as many children as possible with as many females as possible. Not only was he the only Jedi allowed to bone, he also had 10 wives or some other ridiculous number.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Isn't Kit Fisto part of the crew trying to arrest Sheev?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Malleum posted:

He was part of an endangered species so it was his ethical duty to have as many children as possible with as many females as possible. Not only was he the only Jedi allowed to bone, he also had 10 wives or some other ridiculous number.

It's important to remember that none of this has anything to do with the films, as it's EU bullshit written to appeal to the special type of person who reads EU stuff to discover the real (hi)story behind films they didn't actually like.

sassassin has a new favorite as of 10:12 on Apr 10, 2017

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

muscles like this! posted:

Isn't Kit Fisto part of the crew trying to arrest Sheev?

Yes.

Also, there are at least two other black guys in the original trilogy. How can you all forget Grizz Frix and Willrow Hood?

I just spent like 20 minutes to figure out that first name. Already knew the second. :smug:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Malleum posted:

Yoda should have set this guy aside and said, "The will of the Force your species die out, it is."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

sassassin posted:

It's important to remember that none of this has anything to do with the films, as it's EU bullshit written to appeal to the special type of person who reads EU stuff to discover the real (hi)story behind films they didn't actually like.

I used to read a ton of EU stuff before realising it was mostly garbage. Every now and again though, there's something gloriously terrible instead of just terrible, like a pointy headed man with a gently caress license.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Kit
Fisto

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

His species is also facing extinction, but for very different reasons.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
It's not that you can't bang - it's that you can't have attachments. So the Jedi code should just read "Hit it and quit it. "

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always used to get thrown off by Anne Hathaway, because of her name. Before I actually saw her in a movie and knew who she actually was I always associated the name with a much older woman because it's an old-fashioned name. I always pictured her as the Maggie Smith type of "dowager" kind of actress. Then I learned better and realised she was only 4 years older than me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's weird to me that Maggie Smith has this whole popular image of being particularly old, if that makes sense, when she's actually slightly younger than Judi Dench (both born in December 1934 - Dench at the start of the month and Smith at the end).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's because she looks and sounds old

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's weird to me that Maggie Smith has this whole popular image of being particularly old, if that makes sense, when she's actually slightly younger than Judi Dench (both born in December 1934 - Dench at the start of the month and Smith at the end).

It's probably the types of characters that she plays, that and she looks old in a way that Judi Dench doesn't as much IMO.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BioEnchanted posted:

It's probably the types of characters that she plays, that and she looks old in a way that Judi Dench doesn't as much IMO.

Yeah she was playing a sort-of over-the-hill chaperone in 1985 in Room With a View, and then played the ancient grandmother in Hook, a quarter century ago

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!
She was aged-up in Hook to look elderly even though she was only in her late 50s at the time...I suspect that that sort of cemented her image of "she's ancient, and she's looked ancient forever" for those of us who grew up in the 1990s.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The first thing I saw her in was Murder by Death, when she was only in her early 40s, so I have a slightly different view. But she's a bit like Angela Lansbury in that her best known stuff is from when she was a bit older so everyone just thinks of her as old.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tensokuu posted:

It's not that you can't bang - it's that you can't have attachments. So the Jedi code should just read "Hit it and quit it. "

Again, that's the EU extrapolating things too literally, trying to make sense of stated "rules" for a "real universe", to the point where the films then don't make sense instead (so Anakin could have kept on banging Padme?)

In the context of the films the Jedi are simply a bunch of out of touch celibate warrior monks and Obi-Wan is a closeted homosexual. This is their function in the narrative, raising and then eventually trying to kill Anakin Skywalker (and doing a bad job of both).

Ki-Adi-Mundi's sex palace doesn't exist.

Darth Icky.

George Lucas is a very funny man.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I always used to get thrown off by Anne Hathaway, because of her name. Before I actually saw her in a movie and knew who she actually was I always associated the name with a much older woman because it's an old-fashioned name. I always pictured her as the Maggie Smith type of "dowager" kind of actress. Then I learned better and realised she was only 4 years older than me.

It's not just old-fashioned - it's the name of Shakespeare's wife

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

sassassin posted:

George Lucas is a very funny man.

He's a super troll too. If you refer to lightsabers as such around him he'll correct you and say they're actually called "lazer swords" but if you've heard that he does this and call them lazer-swords he'll say they're lightsabers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The best George Lucas bit is definitely "they die"

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Barudak posted:

The best George Lucas bit is definitely "they die"

What's this one?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

VanSandman posted:

What's this one?

He was at a talk and someone asked "what happens to luke leia and han after Star Wars?" and George sort of looks at him flummoxed for a second and then in a patronizing tone "They die"

Serf
May 5, 2011

Drunken Baker posted:

He's a super troll too. If you refer to lightsabers as such around him he'll correct you and say they're actually called "lazer swords" but if you've heard that he does this and call them lazer-swords he'll say they're lightsabers.

Reminds me of the time that some dude got up at a Q&A and asked him very passionately what happened to Luke, Leia and Han after the end of Return of the Jedi and Lucas reportedly looked this man dead in the eye and said "they died."

Not to mention his attempt to troll all his rich neighbors by funding low-cost housing near his place.

e:efb

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

Ki-Adi-Mundi's sex palace doesn't exist.

Not since LucasArts was closed down, anyway.

quote:

Darth Icky.

I must assume he was passing judgment on The Force Unleashed without openly upsetting the developers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Not since LucasArts was closed down, anyway.

I must assume he was passing judgment on The Force Unleashed without openly upsetting the developers.

Its how Ive always taken it. I mean, this was the game that made it so that a never before mentioned apprentice to Darth Vader who had Lukes original last name singhle handedly founds the rebellion and his family crest becomes the rebellion logo. The sequel involved cloning that guy and a fight where you kill a force ghost.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
He was pretty clearly taking the piss and the fact that people took it seriously because they wanted to dislike Lucas that much blows my mind.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Barudak posted:

Its how Ive always taken it. I mean, this was the game that made it so that a never before mentioned apprentice to Darth Vader who had Lukes original last name singhle handedly founds the rebellion and his family crest becomes the rebellion logo. The sequel involved cloning that guy and a fight where you kill a force ghost.

You use the force to pull a star destroyer out of the sky while swatting TIE fighters around.
It is a fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Aleph Null posted:

You use the force to pull a star destroyer out of the sky while swatting TIE fighters around.
It is a fun game.

That sounds loving cool but in reality it loving blows because the onscreen qte prompts don't actually correspond to what you're supposed to be doing and it's really annoying having to stop and restart because some chump tie fighters keep flying by knocking you down and then you have a guy constantly whining at you because you inevitably keep loving up