Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Concerned Citizen posted:

my job is to convince voters to turnout and vote for whatever candidate i'm working for, not to do survey research for the dnc. i'm generally pretty successful in that regard, so that is the value.

Ah, I forgot to update my cspam_posters google sheet. I'm sure you've told me that before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

deadgoon posted:

hello guys how does this 46 tweet tweetstorm make u feel:
http://twitter.com/SallyAlbright/status/850386255158288385

nope, she lost once she said alt-left unironically cos shes a gobshite

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm pretty sure the last time we had this conversation the answer was essentially the same as it was for VS: They themselves weren't the problem with the campaign, it was the people directing them with bad information that they refused to take another look at when folks on the ground started firing up warning flares.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Thread: The Hillary campaign was too blinded by numbers and faulty analysis to run a political campaign that real people respond to
Concerned Citizen: Well, the numbers say that's simply not true

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

Also, why do hill shills give a poo poo about whether the president is the biggest wonk ever? I'd rather have a president with sound judgement, which hillary lacks. There are enough wonks working under POTUS.

What kind of person would someone like this revere?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i wish hillary clinton had a clear and concrete campaign promise or two, that woulda been neat.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Hillary Clinton and her campaign were actually really good and awesome, thats why they won the election.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
anyway its cool that people are still arguing with CC and zegermans like, cmon yall. pls.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
remember when they counted up the possible ways for trump to win? and he never did? like, the pathways to victory?

lamo @ literally having president trump and the democrats out-incompetencing the republicans

i mean, trump. seriously. wtf. trump. and these democratic shills pretending to have dignity. president loving trump.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Baloogan posted:

remember when they counted up the possible ways for trump to win? and he never did? like, the pathways to victory?

lamo @ literally having president trump and the democrats out-incompetencing the republicans

i mean, trump. seriously. wtf. trump. and these democratic shills pretending to have dignity. president loving trump.

TRUMP

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Mister Fister posted:

Also, why do hill shills give a poo poo about whether the president is the biggest wonk ever? I'd rather have a president with sound judgement, which hillary lacks. There are enough wonks working under POTUS.

Because they're convinced of the moral and intellectual superiority of the professional class. If you go to the right schools and claim to care about data, you're absolved of any sins.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

anime was right posted:

i wish hillary clinton had a clear and concrete campaign promise or two, that woulda been neat.

Well it's not like anyone would have believed those promises

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There was also the time this old guy who was working with the campaign kept saying "Hey, maybe we should be doing more in some of those states" and was soundly ignored.

But what does Bill Clinton know about running a successful presidential campaign, after all?

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Scent of Worf posted:

Hillarymen are the bronies of 2017

- my hot take for today
:agreed:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

anime was right posted:

anyway its cool that people are still arguing with CC and zegermans like, cmon yall. pls.

Some days you just really feel like flogging the whipping boys.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

docbeard posted:

There was also the time this old guy who was working with the campaign kept saying "Hey, maybe we should be doing more in some of those states" and was soundly ignored.

But what does Bill Clinton know about running a successful presidential campaign, after all?

that they made it a point to ignore bill in private while allowing him to putz around and be an idiot in public remains one of my favorite things

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Baloogan posted:

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

rallies don't win elections.
The Trump Presidency became a thing, due to his h-yuge rallies.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Not a Step posted:

Kinda wonder if a new set of political research is going to come out of this cycle based around herd effects. If no one you know looks like they're going to vote for a candidate, maybe you shouldn't vote for them either.

Also I'm willing to bet a significant portion of political research is extremely garbage or based on outmoded theories, like any social science field - especially if they used big data without attempts to address context.

i mean, there was a candidate in 2012 who spent a shitload of money and time on yard signs. he completely swamped his opponent in every swing state. his name was mitt romney, and he didn't become president.

the research done by dnc/affiliated groups is pretty robust and built around actual tests that can inform best practices. they want to be able to say that spending $X on a certain activity will yield Y votes if done in isolation. they're also replicated repeatedly. so we do have a really good idea of what works and what doesn't.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

anime was right posted:

jest lookin for the perfect linguistic killshot, the holy grail of logic finally debunking conjured up opinions once and for all

imo jest shake up a pepsi can an hand it tae em n awatch it blow tae gently caress :allears:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Nanomashoes posted:

Thread: The Hillary campaign was too blinded by numbers and faulty analysis to run a political campaign that real people respond to
Concerned Citizen: Well, the numbers say that's simply not true

i would say the numbers actually say that is exactly true, specifically the number of electoral votes

there was definitely faulty analysis and bad numbers. they made horrific decisions that could have caught the error before it was too late, but here we are. that said, the solution is to get better numbers, not to assume math has forsaken us and we must turn back to the old ways before the ancient god of votes curses us once more.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 19:58 on Apr 9, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mister Fister posted:

a president who can't (or won't) get Congress to go along with their policy promises is p disappointing, and that has been a problem for recent Dem presidents

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ThndrShk2k posted:

The Trump Presidency became a thing, due to his h-yuge rallies.

some say to even this day

theres rallies still going on because of the yugeness

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
im at a rally right now wearing my maga hat, maga

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Like, it's thoroughly dumb the way people (yes, I'm talking to you, yeah you, reading this thread) rush to completely dismiss things like misogyny and Russian interference and Comey and whatever in order to win a prize for shouting HILLARY BAD BERNIE WOULD HAVE WON the loudest.

But it's not like her campaign didn't make some completely avoidable and very costly mistakes, either.

I doubt the yard signs thing really made much difference one way or the other, though. It's really more indicative of a mentality that led to other mistakes, I think.

(Interestingly, the yard sign count here in the Twin Cities, at least that I saw, was Johnson-Everyone Else by a considerable margin. Don't know what that means, though. I'm guessing that I was passing through a rich suburban neighborhood that leaned Republican but not toward Trump.)

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
the Democratic party is full of creeps, freaks, and weirdos

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

i mean, there was a candidate in 2012 who spent a shitload of money and time on yard signs. he completely swamped his opponent in every swing state. his name was mitt romney, and he didn't become president.

the research done by dnc/affiliated groups is pretty robust and built around actual tests that can inform best practices. they want to be able to say that spending $X on a certain activity will yield Y votes if done in isolation. they're also replicated repeatedly. so we do have a really good idea of what works and what doesn't.

Ok but, and stop me if you've heard this before, WHY DID YOU LOSE?

Although I guess the real answer is probably Mitt Romney was a barely lifelike robot up against a charismatic idealist. And Hillary Clinton was a barely lifelike robot up against a charismatic grifter. So... maybe the real secret is 'running barely lifelike robots is a bad plan, don't do that'.

Also, Al Gore and John Kerry

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/...%3D4327%23pti33

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

docbeard posted:

Like, it's thoroughly dumb the way people (yes, I'm talking to you, yeah you, reading this thread) rush to completely dismiss things like misogyny and Russian interference and Comey and whatever in order to win a prize for shouting HILLARY BAD BERNIE WOULD HAVE WON the loudest.

There's a reason most of the allstars in this thread didn't even post in CSPAM for a 6 month period. The election result was great because it was always about sticking it to Clinton for beating babbys first leftist joke candidate, while being white enough to not have to worry about how Clinton losing was actually bad.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Not a Step posted:

Ok but, and stop me if you've heard this before, WHY DID YOU LOSE?

well hey, i didn't lose.

quote:

Although I guess the real answer is probably Mitt Romney was a barely lifelike robot up against a charismatic idealist. And Hillary Clinton was a barely lifelike robot up against a charismatic grifter. So... maybe the real secret is 'running barely lifelike robots is a bad plan, don't do that'.

agreed. at the very least if you are someone that lacks charisma, maybe acknowledge and try to bridge that issue rather than assuming voters will see through it and vote for your very qualified robot.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Not a Step posted:

Look, whatever people think of Hillary, there is no way she's the worst candidate in the history of the Democratic Party where that history includes John Kerry.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

well hey, i didn't lose.

hell yeah maga maga TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP maga

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

See how her eye tilts? IS she having a seizure on camera!? Here's 15 Breitbart articles about it

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

docbeard posted:

But it's not like her campaign didn't make some completely avoidable and very costly mistakes, either.

I doubt the yard signs thing really made much difference one way or the other, though. It's really more indicative of a mentality that led to other mistakes, I think.

(Interestingly, the yard sign count here in the Twin Cities, at least that I saw, was Johnson-Everyone Else by a considerable margin. Don't know what that means, though. I'm guessing that I was passing through a rich suburban neighborhood that leaned Republican but not toward Trump.)

i was gonna make an argument but ive basically said everything there is to say and we're all arguing in circles lets all get some waffles

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

But also, for the record, Hillary is bad, and Bernie would have won.

you want fries with that?

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

so we do have a really good idea of what works and what doesn't.

uh huh

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

anime was right posted:

i was gonna make an argument but ive basically said everything there is to say and we're all arguing in circles lets all get some waffles

After my sister in laws wedding we all went to waffe house because it was her idea but I'm old and go to bed at 9:30 and it was 4 am and I spent all night tearing down their wedding because to save money they leaned on family to set everything up and it was pretty exhausting and the waffles didn't takes good due to my tired ness. Actually I think I got gravy hashbrowns.

That's my wafflehouse story

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
The Succ Zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
seriously this thread is zegermens and cc repeating the same thing over and over again despite being wrong but loving the attention or whatever, and everyone willingly engaging with their attention-seeking behaviors to high five themselves. and they're doing it over and over and over again and i just wanted a loving place to discuss the democrats best vision moving forward but nope gently caress that.

• Locked thread