Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Zereth posted:

What's in that chest anyway?

Just a meteorite, or maybe two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Zereth posted:

What's in that chest anyway?
Pure water x 5

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

No Wave posted:

Pure water x 5

Well that explains why I never managed to upgrade my pods much.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Antti posted:

Well that explains why I never managed to upgrade my pods much.

Pure water is super common in the flooded City, every run through there will get you at least a few.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I must've spent a good hour trying to get that one chest in the Forest Kingdom and don't even act like you don't know exactly which one I'm talking about.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress, that's a place I've never been.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

That and the flooded city are probably the two hardest jumps in the game. There's a level of precision required which really isn't necessary anywhere else.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Bad Seafood posted:

I must've spent a good hour trying to get that one chest in the Forest Kingdom and don't even act like you don't know exactly which one I'm talking about.

Single jumps and gliding with a double jump if you're going too low are the key. The ledge grab actually has very lenient range

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Rangpur posted:

That and the flooded city are probably the two hardest jumps in the game. There's a level of precision required which really isn't necessary anywhere else.

Get combat bracers and jump punch your way to victory.

Also you can hit R1 + X to do a long jump in the air, if anyone didn't know about that

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Also, if you leave the ground without jumping you can do two jumps in the air, and on the first jump you can also do a launcher to reset your air combo and get some extra height.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Bad Seafood posted:

Once i saw that i was like "oh god this is going to take me forever" but then i actually got it on my third try and was like "oh". No fancy combos required, just jump-dash--jump gets you in perfect ledge grab range for all of them.

The chest contents super worth it (for me) too

No Wave posted:

Pure water x 5
You're a goddamn monster is what you are

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The short version is "don't spend too long farming until you've unlocked the chapter select, then decide if you want to deal with it or not at that point".

That said you can just straight up buy the auto loot chip from Devola/Popola in the resistance camp during route C

You can buy that chip late in route A. the twins open their shop after you finish the copied city iirc

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

exploded mummy posted:

You can buy that chip late in route A. the twins open their shop after you finish the copied city iirc

Do they? I know they have some things for sale, but I don't remember seeing those chips until 9S does those quests for them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
so when did Yoko Taro actually become like, "a thing", did Drakengard actually get a cult fanbase based on the insane protaginist, or was it after everyone seemed to like the writing in Nier (since Drakengard 2 only peripherally involved Yoko)

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Bad Seafood posted:

I have a hard time remembering which one it could be because it was such a fleeting moment for me. :smugdog:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

so when did Yoko Taro actually become like, "a thing", did Drakengard actually get a cult fanbase based on the insane protaginist, or was it after everyone seemed to like the writing in Nier (since Drakengard 2 only peripherally involved Yoko)

It was the Dark Id's LPs that actually brought his name to my attention, I actually bought Nier based solely upon the first few episodes of that LP.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Alain Post posted:

TDI's LPs, and even then, only after Nier did anyone ever retroactively appreciate Drakengard. Nier just confirmed that there was a definite method to the madness.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Alain Post posted:

There are people that I have known personally who were fans of the original Drakengard. I didn't become aware of the series til I picked up and loved Nier on a whim after it came out. I can't remember what motivated me to get it except that it was 20 bucks at the time, but I think I had read about it on these very forums. Outside of that nobody I talked to seemed to have heard of it outside of a strong cult following, and then when Platinum got on board everyone went apeshit.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Heath posted:

There are people that I have known personally who were fans of the original Drakengard. I didn't become aware of the series til I picked up and loved Nier on a whim after it came out. I can't remember what motivated me to get it except that it was 20 bucks at the time, but I think I had read about it on these very forums. Outside of that nobody I talked to seemed to have heard of it outside of a strong cult following, and then when Platinum got on board everyone went apeshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBD8yczrkVM

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That explains so much

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Drakengard was advertised pretty hard since it was the first Square-Enix release in the west.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Alain Post posted:

surely the only people who care about Drakengard are those weirdos who have been reading DarkId LPs for almost a decade

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

dis astranagant posted:

Drakengard was advertised pretty hard since it was the first Square-Enix release in the west.

I thought The Bouncer predates it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I picked this up for PC and I should probably get a controller. I got past the intro boss but used up every single recovery fighting it. gently caress that guy and his sawblade arms. I wish there was a dedicated evade button instead of having to double-tap my movement keys.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Alain Post posted:

Yoko Taro became a thing when the zeitgeist caught up with him.

Yoko Taro thought about how most video games are about committing mass murder but bizarrely their protagonists just act like regular normal people. In 2003, he released Drakengard, which is the story of an enormous bloodbath and the mass murderer who revels in it. In 2012, Spec Ops: The Line did a similar thing and people praised it for its amazing story.

In 2010, Yoko Taro made Nier, a game about an apocalypse that turned people into really unusual zombies and the morally ambiguous dad who had to live in that dying world with his daughter. In 2013, The Last of Us did a similar thing and people praised it for its amazing story.

The gaps seem to be getting shorter so I look forward to a game being released later this year that wins all the awards for its amazing story about androids and robots fighting over a dead Earth in the distant future.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

And Tyler Too! posted:

I picked this up for PC and I should probably get a controller. I got past the intro boss but used up every single recovery fighting it. gently caress that guy and his sawblade arms. I wish there was a dedicated evade button instead of having to double-tap my movement keys.

i have a deep and immediate dislike of any game that has evade or sprint only available by "double tap the movement key"

but yes get a controller

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

And Tyler Too! posted:

I wish there was a dedicated evade button instead of having to double-tap my movement keys.
I've played 700+ hours of souls games with mouse and keyboard and let me tell you: this is a horrendous dealbreaker that makes it basically unplayable (unless you're just here for an easy auto-chip cruise). It's super weird considering how the game not only offers 3 pretty great control schemes but also lets you fully rebind stuff except for this one very very obnoxious detail.

Plays great with a dualshock 4 though, and there's plenty of other good reasons to get one of those anyway.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 10, 2017

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Tunahead posted:

Yoko Taro became a thing when the zeitgeist caught up with him.

Yoko Taro thought about how most video games are about committing mass murder but bizarrely their protagonists just act like regular normal people. In 2003, he released Drakengard, which is the story of an enormous bloodbath and the mass murderer who revels in it. In 2012, Spec Ops: The Line did a similar thing and people praised it for its amazing story.

In 2010, Yoko Taro made Nier, a game about an apocalypse that turned people into really unusual zombies and the morally ambiguous dad who had to live in that dying world with his daughter. In 2013, The Last of Us did a similar thing and people praised it for its amazing story.

The gaps seem to be getting shorter so I look forward to a game being released later this year that wins all the awards for its amazing story about androids and robots fighting over a dead Earth in the distant future.

Horizon: Zero Dawn.

The story is pretty poo poo, especially compared to what Automata did with similar themes.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Heath posted:

I thought The Bouncer predates it.

The Bouncer was before the merger.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
So uh... quick question. Apologies if this has been brought up before. But I failed the Family Squabbles quest. It marks it with a red X and everything. Do I have to reload my save from like an hour or so ago and redo this? That's kinda annoying.

It's not my fault the game locked on to a drat boar which promptly murdered the ever-loving poo poo out of the robo-child! It like instantly killed him. Jesus

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I have a quest marker way out in the desert I can't get to. I hit a windstorm and can't move closer to it. What's the deal? Trying to knock out some side quests before going down in the hole.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

I have a quest marker way out in the desert I can't get to. I hit a windstorm and can't move closer to it. What's the deal? Trying to knock out some side quests before going down in the hole.

Run slightly to the right and try to keep going forward. You'll eventually get around the invisible wall.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

BlackFrost posted:

So uh... quick question. Apologies if this has been brought up before. But I failed the Family Squabbles quest. It marks it with a red X and everything. Do I have to reload my save from like an hour or so ago and redo this? That's kinda annoying.

It's not my fault the game locked on to a drat boar which promptly murdered the ever-loving poo poo out of the robo-child! It like instantly killed him. Jesus

Yeah you gotta reload if you want to complete the quest. Complete in a happy way, at least.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played and appreciated Drakengard before it was cool

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Sakurazuka posted:

I played and appreciated Drakengard before it was cool

I played it and thought it sucked once that catapult mission popped up and now I hate anime and can't justify my desire to play NieR Automata thanks for reading

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Drakengard is the most miserable loving game

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Games like Drakengard are practically the reason for LPs to exist: a game that's absolutely weird as poo poo but is about as fun to play as sticking your tongue to a flagpole.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

And Tyler Too! posted:

there's literally an evade button though? is there not a keyboard binding for it?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Romes128 posted:

there's literally an evade button though? is there not a keyboard binding for it?

Nope. I was genuinely dumbfounded that there wasn't even an option to bind it; it's double tap or bust. The game fortunately plays just great using a controller, but geeze what a weird decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Romes128 posted:

There's not one, no. It's permanently bound to your move keys to dodge in whichever direction the key is for.

Do not play this game with mouse/keyboard. Yeah, it's a kinda easy game so it's surely possible, but you are gonna have so much less fun.