Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

MasterSlowPoke posted:

With pistols, do you strike with the shooting profile in combat? Are there ammo rolls?

Yeah, pistols function as hand-to-hand weapons with that profile in combat, so no ammo or sustained fire or anything like that. In Necromunda plasma pistols can only use low power settings for hand-to-hand but I can't find the equivalent restriction in SW:A, but it should be the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Phyresis posted:

a Grey Knight with a Nemesis Daemon hammer or halberd: S8 with a -5 save mod

a Grey Knight with a Nemesis force sword: S6 with a -6 save mod (and a parry... pretty nice weapon)

The force sword situation bothers me. It makes no sense that it has more Save Mod than the halberd. Are you sure you are the total attack Strength save Mod to the weapon's own modifier? For the weapons cost and it's role in the overall GK armoury it would seem more logical to me that it has the 'downside' that it only has -3 save Mod.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

ineptmule posted:

The force sword situation bothers me. It makes no sense that it has more Save Mod than the halberd. Are you sure you are the total attack Strength save Mod to the weapon's own modifier? For the weapons cost and it's role in the overall GK armoury it would seem more logical to me that it has the 'downside' that it only has -3 save Mod.

yes i am sure.... daemon hammers are not supposed to bounce off of literal squig skin

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
No that's not what I'm saying, my assumption is that if a weapon has a native save mod value, you use that. If it does not, you use the total attack Strength save mod as per the chart in your image.

However it's clear from the text there that I am wrong. Oh well, it seemed like a decent way to make the Force Sword not be clearly the best option.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
X-posting from the Good (30k) Thread

Lord Twisted posted:

Went to WHW yesterday with my gaming group - I'm going to do a full writeup on my blog but for now, some pictures - Salamanders v Emperor's Children, Raven Guard v Death Guard, Ultramarines v Orks, Raven Guard v Orks & Night Lords v Emperor's Children!

I won vs EC and Death Guard, lost to Orks. I have the RG and Salamanders.

:siren: LOTS OF PICS :siren:

#hardforheresy

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SW:A Rulebook pre-orders starting on the 22nd: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/09/shadow-war-armageddon-the-rules-available-soon/

gently caress you, eBay scalpers

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

ineptmule posted:

No that's not what I'm saying, my assumption is that if a weapon has a native save mod value, you use that. If it does not, you use the total attack Strength save mod as per the chart in your image.

However it's clear from the text there that I am wrong. Oh well, it seemed like a decent way to make the Force Sword not be clearly the best option.

I'm not really sure what the purpose of the hammer and halberd are. The halberd at the very least should be cheaper than the sword, no idea why it costs more considering how rare it will be to encounter T6 and above, and the sword's just fine against Nurgle Marines and the occasional guy who advanced Toughness. If it had a decent save mod it could serve as an anti-terminator weapon or something but whatever

I'm a fan of the warding stave and it's not like you are going to have many opportunities to resupply them better weapons, you can't even buy two different guys swords because they cost 60 points, you'd do like sword + psybolts + clip harness (why not, you have 10 points left over) for 100

S5 -2SM is decent and since Grey Knights don't have knives every hit is with the staff, but it is not easy to win a combat with only one attack, your poo poo is gonna get parried

stick with the staff, gun poo poo down with psilencers, which are unreal. Their gunners are the reason you want to play Grey Knights to begin with. For 350 points you get one of the best guns in the game, on a guy who has a ~75% chance to ignore cover, and it's not even a heavy weapon so he can move and shoot

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Note on Parry: you can only use it if the face on any d6 is higher than the face on every d6 from the guy trying to use it. WS is not considered until after dice are finished being rolled, which means that there are very possible situations to encounter where you can't Parry because you both rolled a 4, or something, but the other guy's WS is higher so he wins the combat. Parry is real good, but it's not quite in the realm of 'free reroll if you would lose' good.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Marker lights are goddamn dumb in shadow war you guys

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

muggins posted:

Marker lights are goddamn dumb in shadow war you guys

Op? Useless? Tau ruin everything once again? Which is it.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Hihohe posted:

Op? Useless? Tau ruin everything once again? Which is it.

Use one guy to auto hit a marker light on someone 30" away and it ignores cover for everyone shooting at him.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Seems kinda lovely

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Galaspar posted:

Maybe it's the Necromunda aspect, and perhaps GW underestimated that. For 15 years they kept the Necro rules on sale, and many of the models too, and I know for a fact that they rarely sold. The Necromunda nostalgia that grew up since is something they didn't expect or account for, and with luck it'll lead to a proper re-release soon.

I think in addition to Necromunda nostalgia (which is there for a choice few, myself included) you've also had the rise of skirmish games and a move away from army-scale games in the tabletop gaming world. Most miniatures games I saw at Adepticon that were new or being previewed were small-scale, with no more than 20 dudes on a side. Small scale 40k in a game with self contained rules that doesn't require buying a codex or anything is an easy sell, especially when you've got some nice terrain in the box at a discount.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Hey guys, it's been a while, has GW given Eldar any new plastics or game-breaking rules yet?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Boon posted:

Hey guys, it's been a while, has GW given Eldar any new plastics or game-breaking rules yet?

They got a Trivumulate set of characters and a mixed Ynnari faction with some pretty alright rules.

Nothing too horrendous.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

C-C-C-CROSS POST!

Got my killteam painted! in 24 hours

Oath Complete!

Didn't plan for this to be a 24-hour project, but things started going well!

Also I didn't really pay attention and thought this was Monster May-Hem. But at least my Ogryn's done!

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

SteelMentor posted:

They got a Trivumulate set of characters and a mixed Ynnari faction with some pretty alright rules.

Nothing too horrendous.

*cough*Soulburst*cough*

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I went to the local GW today to ostensibly play some SWA. I did not because I got very discouraged after watching a couple of goony motherfuckers play.

The first was this older guy who's nice enough when you're not playing him, but as soon as you do, you're gonna find out that he cheats like crazy. I think it's pathological. I've played him once, years ago, in a game of 40k. I won't play him again. He cannot move a model without giving it an extra inch or two. He routinely rolls more dice than he should, and will argue every single rule with his opponent. He had his Genestealer cult gang, and was doing his normal poo poo. After the game, during the advancement stage, he was going to give his leader +1 T and +1 W and a new skill until the GW employee set him straight. He had actually added all 3 to his roster. He also had two guys who rolled a 3 on the serious injury table which confers hatred of the fighter that put them out of action, but they have to miss the next game. He conveniently forgot to read the 2nd part of that result and was claiming to the other guy that "at least I don't have anyone missing the next game". :rolleyes:

The guy he was playing was some unwashed kid in an honest-to-god wolf shirt. This kid had a Harlequin gang and was also cheating like crazy. Weapon skills fluctuated, it looked like each harlie moved about 20 inches per turn, and, most annoyingly, he could not do math to save his life. It took him about 30 seconds to figure out what 13-8 resulted in. He also had to be told that charging didn't confer an additional attack along with it's bonus to combat resolution. When the GW employee told him this he snapped at the poor dude. It was sorta funny, though when he rolled up the Step Aside skill for one of his harlies (it confers a 4++ in combat, but all harlies come equiped with a blanket 4++).

It was an extremely pathetic showing, even for a game at Games Workshop. Why would you cheat at this stupid loving game? Incredible. Guess I'm just gonna go paint.

This loving hobby.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

muggins posted:

Use one guy to auto hit a marker light on someone 30" away and it ignores cover for everyone shooting at him.

I looked it up and its "ignore to-hit penalties for cover" not outright ignores cover

So get your boys behind walls and hide like poo poo.

They cant hit you if they cant see you.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

I went to the local GW today to ostensibly play some SWA. I did not because I got very discouraged after watching a couple of goony motherfuckers play.

The first was this older guy who's nice enough when you're not playing him, but as soon as you do, you're gonna find out that he cheats like crazy. I think it's pathological. I've played him once, years ago, in a game of 40k. I won't play him again. He cannot move a model without giving it an extra inch or two. He routinely rolls more dice than he should, and will argue every single rule with his opponent. He had his Genestealer cult gang, and was doing his normal poo poo. After the game, during the advancement stage, he was going to give his leader +1 T and +1 W and a new skill until the GW employee set him straight. He had actually added all 3 to his roster. He also had two guys who rolled a 3 on the serious injury table which confers hatred of the fighter that put them out of action, but they have to miss the next game. He conveniently forgot to read the 2nd part of that result and was claiming to the other guy that "at least I don't have anyone missing the next game". :rolleyes:

The guy he was playing was some unwashed kid in an honest-to-god wolf shirt. This kid had a Harlequin gang and was also cheating like crazy. Weapon skills fluctuated, it looked like each harlie moved about 20 inches per turn, and, most annoyingly, he could not do math to save his life. It took him about 30 seconds to figure out what 13-8 resulted in. He also had to be told that charging didn't confer an additional attack along with it's bonus to combat resolution. When the GW employee told him this he snapped at the poor dude. It was sorta funny, though when he rolled up the Step Aside skill for one of his harlies (it confers a 4++ in combat, but all harlies come equiped with a blanket 4++).

It was an extremely pathetic showing, even for a game at Games Workshop. Why would you cheat at this stupid loving game? Incredible. Guess I'm just gonna go paint.

This loving hobby.

gently caress yes, I love bad ham stories

Similarly, the store I bitched about on the Badcast is having a SWA thing on Mondays and I've been invited by two people to go, both of whom were like "dude, I totally understand" when I told them I wasn't going. Someday I'll get a game of it in, provided it's after the rulebook comes out on its own.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
If you get a flamer to shoot over multiple open-topped vehicles, how does hit allocation work? Do you get 1d6 per flamer on each vehicle's riders, or do you roll 1d6 per flamer and apply it overall?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I'd say D6 per flamer per vehicle.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Hey, did you miss this?

GW posted:

And, following numerous requests we’ve received from the community (that’s you), we’ll be adding in two new factions – the Battle Sisters of the Adepta Sororitas and warbands from the Inquisition.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zark the Damned posted:

SW:A Rulebook pre-orders starting on the 22nd: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/09/shadow-war-armageddon-the-rules-available-soon/

gently caress you, eBay scalpers

Good that ebay scalpers are gonna get rekt, bad that GW didn't just put the .pdf on the internet for free because everybody's seen it by now anyways.

They're just starting on this rulebook, it'll be 2 weeks to 2 months before we see it in stores. There's no way people are going to go 2 months of Shadow War without that rulebook. Either they copy it off the internet, or they stop playing before then.

GW loving up badly as usual. They're sitting on a social phenomenon right now and they're going to blow all the goodwill like Pokemon Go did if they don't get some loving product out.

muggins posted:

That's kinda tau's thing though? You're a squad of snipers who can't do melee for poo poo.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

goose willis posted:

If you get a flamer to shoot over multiple open-topped vehicles, how does hit allocation work? Do you get 1d6 per flamer on each vehicle's riders, or do you roll 1d6 per flamer and apply it overall?

Yeah it's any vehicle struck by a template, so if you hit two each riding unit takes a separate d6 hits.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Zaphod42 posted:

GW loving up badly as usual. They're sitting on a social phenomenon right now and they're going to blow all the goodwill like Pokemon Go did if they don't get some loving product out.

This is not that

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nichol posted:

This is not that

Its not that big (40k will never touch pokemon obviously) but its still pretty silly. They want to have stores running campaigns right now and the rules aren't even available.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah it's any vehicle struck by a template, so if you hit two each riding unit takes a separate d6 hits.

Thank god for that as well. Dark Eldar and Orks were absolutely wrecking the game before they let flamers hit passengers. Not to mention these were the days when open topped vehicles only did S3 hits instead of S4 hits on passengers. I mean, Orks would take 2-3 casualties and either be fearless or ld9, now they will 4-5 casualties plus a few more from the nob when they fail their ld7 check. Thank goodness the GW writers know what they are doing.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

LordAba posted:

Thank god for that as well. Dark Eldar and Orks were absolutely wrecking the game before they let flamers hit passengers. Not to mention these were the days when open topped vehicles only did S3 hits instead of S4 hits on passengers. I mean, Orks would take 2-3 casualties and either be fearless or ld9, now they will 4-5 casualties plus a few more from the nob when they fail their ld7 check. Thank goodness the GW writers know what they are doing.

Hey hey, it could be a weird Necron player fielding two Ghost Arks right next to each other!

It's a joke, but I did actually have it happen once.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Nice. I didn't think much of Chaos Chosen before, but if you take Alpha Legion rules, you can have five dudes right in the enemy's face on turn 1 with either five plasmas, five meltas, or five flamers in any combination. Just keeping them with flamers makes them an incredible suicide unit against open-topped transports.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My old shop had a roughly 5050 split of cheaters and non that wouldn't play each other.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

goose willis posted:

Just be careful, you have to cover as much of the target vehicle as possible with the flame template. Often you won't be able to hit more than one.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
That's why you make the further away transport your target.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Hihohe posted:

I looked it up and its "ignore to-hit penalties for cover" not outright ignores cover

So get your boys behind walls and hide like poo poo.

They cant hit you if they cant see you.

Lol that doesn't super help

Zaphod42 posted:

That's kinda tau's thing though? You're a squad of snipers who can't do melee for poo poo.

Yeah I guess I was just hoping for less snowflake stuff that breaks the core rules of the game. If you play against it with guard or cultists or something you'll see how rough it is. My gc guys rely on cover to stay alive and they're basically just sitting ducks or hiding the whole game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

muggins posted:

Yeah I guess I was just hoping for less snowflake stuff that breaks the core rules of the game. If you play against it with guard or cultists or something you'll see how rough it is. My gc guys rely on cover to stay alive and they're basically just sitting ducks or hiding the whole game.

I'll have to look at the Tau rules exactly, and I'm sure it can be rough, but I think there are options. Like using terrain (which you really need a ton of for this game) to block LOS and go hidden and flank them, and either picking them off one by one from angles where other tau don't have LOS, or assaulting them if they group up. But you're right I haven't played so this is all theorycrafting at best.

Course assaulting a group of tau means they get to fire supporting fire at you on the charge, ouch. Hm.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 9, 2017

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Ghost Hand posted:

Not an inside joke. We are just wrong. I was corrected by my FW/BL friends...

I learn something new everyday with this hobby.

He's also wrong in one sense: where kobouki said Arbites are "Ar-bi-tees" it's not applied to the rest. Custodes are "cuh-stode-ehs" just like Astartes.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Pronunciation in the 40k thread.

Turn back, here be lasguns

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ghost Hand posted:

Not an inside joke. We are just wrong. I was corrected by my FW/BL friends...

It's correctly pronounced "Ar-bi-tees" and "Cuss-toe-dees".

I learn something new everyday with this hobby.

I don't even know what this means. I know how to pronounce Astartes and Custodes, but what is this saying?

Arr-bee-tees? Arr-bye-tees? Arr-byte-ees?

That looks like it should be Arr-bye-tees but that sounds so wrong. I usually say "Adeptus Arba-tees".

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Adeptus Arby's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace