Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the world is so messed up that nothing less than kumoko's inhumanly brutal plan will work. basically, the setting was made in such a way so it could be saved by kumoko even though she is completely lacking in heroic traits. it is a problem that requires a murder spider-based solution. also, if there were alternatives then kumoko might have to verbally defend her position which just ain't happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the world is so messed up that nothing less than kumoko's inhumanly brutal plan will work. basically, the setting was made in such a way so it could be saved by kumoko even though she is completely lacking in heroic traits. it is a problem that requires a murder spider-based solution. also, if there were alternatives then kumoko might have to verbally defend her position which just ain't happening.

Yeah, but it's just kinda boring to have a story where the protagonist is correct about everything and all her plans are successful. I'm somewhat optimistic about there being some sort of twist coming up, though, because the fight against Potimas went way too easily.

As an unrelated comment, one thing I always found strange is how Shiro came up with a type of training that is really efficient at raising stat values, to the extent that it can make regular soldiers as strong as absolute top tier fighters within a couple years, but somehow no one else figured this out despite living in this world for centuries/millenia. You'd think that people would come to understand how stats work and what the different skills do and theory craft the same stuff she did. I mean, it's not like her ideas are rocket science.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Bobulus posted:

Probably it helped that the author was re-writing the story for the Light Novel version as they went.

Although I guess the light novel switches a few things around, so it'll be interesting to see if the story ends in a different way.

Two changes I know about :
- One of the students gets reincarnated as a dragon-type monster, whom Kumoko almost ate as an egg, and was later raised by Shun. I guess she gets a human form later.
- I guess Kumoko takes longer to become a god. All the roadtripping with Ariel happens when she's still in her arania stage.

The LN also got an extra volume worth of content between her defeating the Earth Dragon Araba and encountering Baby-Sophia for the first time that ends with her fighting Mother head-on (instead of just getting a random mega-levelup out of nowhere).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was just thinking - what if Shun's Divine Protection of Heaven skill somehow caused Sue to become a crazy yandere brocon because he wished for her to look up to him?

That would be funny.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I've always assumed Shun and Sue were somehow going to become the wrenches in Shiro's plans because otherwise all their chapters would serve no purpose.

Tamba posted:

The LN also got an extra volume worth of content between her defeating the Earth Dragon Araba and encountering Baby-Sophia for the first time that ends with her fighting Mother head-on (instead of just getting a random mega-levelup out of nowhere).
Makes sense, that was always the weakest part of the story.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

One thing that I think might become a wrinkle in Kumoko's story is all the energy she just absorbed. Ostensibly, that energy was what was going to be used to heal the planet, before Potimas stole it. So rather than destroy the system and kill the majority of the planet's inhabitants to fix the planet, couldn't she, hypothetically, use that energy for its original purpose? The issue is that Kumoko is rarely willing to give up personal power for the benefit of others, so I could foresee a situation where some or all of her allies get annoyed with her selfishness.

Sindai posted:

I've always assumed Shun and Sue were somehow going to become the wrenches in Shiro's plans because otherwise all their chapters would serve no purpose.

I figure the Shun chapters serve two purposes for the story, as is:

1) Compare and contrast with Kumoko's life. Kumoko had a rough-and-tumble childhood where she had to figure out everything on her own. Shun got handed everything on a silver platter. There's some good comedic stuff here where Kumoko makes a decision after a lot of agonizing, cut to Shun talking to his friend about how that decision would be the dumbest thing ever, etc.

2) Subverting the classic 'reborn in an rpg' premise. Shun's story, taken alone, is really close to a a standard jRPG. Hero of destiny, makes some friends, loses his home, gets taunted by the villain, goes on a long journey of discovery and leveling up, reaches climatic battle, has showdown with big villain, wins. The fact that everything that happens in Shun's life, good and bad, is the result of Kumoko's actions, deliberate and accidental, is like a huge 'gently caress you' to the generic story structure.

I agree they still need to do something in the story, and the fact that even at this late date Kumoko does not feel the need to explain herself to anyone will probably trip her up here, but I have no idea if they'll be the final antagonists or not. Something pitched in the comments of the Kumoko translation that I hadn't considered is that Sue might be a god-scion like shield-guy is for Kuro. She's unnaturally powerful for no explained reason, and if she was a god-scion for the Goddess, it would certainly lead to a shakeup of the status quo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bobulus posted:

I figure the Shun chapters serve two purposes for the story, as is:

1) Compare and contrast with Kumoko's life. Kumoko had a rough-and-tumble childhood where she had to figure out everything on her own. Shun got handed everything on a silver platter. There's some good comedic stuff here where Kumoko makes a decision after a lot of agonizing, cut to Shun talking to his friend about how that decision would be the dumbest thing ever, etc.

2) Subverting the classic 'reborn in an rpg' premise. Shun's story, taken alone, is really close to a a standard jRPG. Hero of destiny, makes some friends, loses his home, gets taunted by the villain, goes on a long journey of discovery and leveling up, reaches climatic battle, has showdown with big villain, wins. The fact that everything that happens in Shun's life, good and bad, is the result of Kumoko's actions, deliberate and accidental, is like a huge 'gently caress you' to the generic story structure.

I agree they still need to do something in the story, and the fact that even at this late date Kumoko does not feel the need to explain herself to anyone will probably trip her up here, but I have no idea if they'll be the final antagonists or not. Something pitched in the comments of the Kumoko translation that I hadn't considered is that Sue might be a god-scion like shield-guy is for Kuro. She's unnaturally powerful for no explained reason, and if she was a god-scion for the Goddess, it would certainly lead to a shakeup of the status quo.

Even though it's true that Shun's life started out easier, I think that he more or less made the best of it (he was always shown to be working about as hard as he could; it's not like he would be allowed to go attack the Labyrinth) and seems to be a genuinely good guy compared with a lot of WN isekai protagonists, who are really selfish if not downright assholes. I'm kinda mixed on whether Shun might end up an antagonist post-Taboo. It's obvious that his Divine Protection of the Goddess skill isn't fully understood by Shiro and constitutes a threat (since it can seemingly affect causality itself), and it's possible Shun won't be okay with some of Shiro's actions (since a lot of them cross over into literal war crimes), but I also don't see how he'd make up the power gap with Shiro. In the "best" case scenario, merely being in the proximity of the Demon King brings his stats to her level (as opposed to having to actively engage her specifically), but even then Shiro is vastly stronger than the Demon King. I feel like that skill plus his focus in the S chapters means he'll play some sort of important role in the climax, regardless.

Regarding Sue, her yandere crush on Shun seems strange if she's a Goddess clone like Hyrinth is for Kuro. I can't think of a reason for her to be so obsessed with this random reincarnator guy, and it's not like she developed her feelings slowly; it seems like she was a huge brocon since an early age. Speaking of Sue, what is she talking about when she mentions Greed allowing her to capture the feelings of her brother? Doesn't Greed just let you absorb skills from people you defeat?

Oh, one other thing I don't totally understand is why Kumoko (and presumably others post-Taboo) feel such hatred towards the world's inhabitants. I'm assuming it's because they took actions that destroyed the world, but that still isn't really a reason to hate literally all people. It's not like some every random child thought "yes, I want to destroy the world for personal gain!" Just like in our own world, it only makes sense to assign significant moral culpability to those with power.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the specifics of what taboo reveals still hasn't been explained

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Regarding Sue, her yandere crush on Shun seems strange if she's a Goddess clone like Hyrinth is for Kuro. I can't think of a reason for her to be so obsessed with this random reincarnator guy, and it's not like she developed her feelings slowly; it seems like she was a huge brocon since an early age. Speaking of Sue, what is she talking about when she mentions Greed allowing her to capture the feelings of her brother? Doesn't Greed just let you absorb skills from people you defeat?

I don't have a definite answer here, but I will note that it was the Goddess that overrode Kumoko when spider-girl tried to prevent a new Hero from being named after Shun's older brother died. The Goddess intended for there to be a new Hero, even when it was loving up save-the-planet plans, and since she's running the system, she effectively 'chose' Shun to be the new Hero. So she might have plans for him. Sue's weird creepy obsession with Shun might be a reflection of that? (And can I just say, incest-played-for-laughs is not my cup of tea, so I hope I'm wrong and Sue's role in the upcoming events is small.)

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the specifics of what taboo reveals still hasn't been explained

It's been too long since I read that section. Wasn't Taboo lv10 when Kumoko was unrelatedly contacted and told she wasn't a former human? I was assuming that was what set her off, not the info in Taboo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
we've seen a bunch of people react to reaching taboo 10, but never the specifics. exactly why learning about the state of the world fills people with despair and rage is unclear.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Taboo makes everyone look like scrotums for the rest of your life. This is also why Shiro finds large crowds uncomfortable.

Bobulus posted:

I don't have a definite answer here, but I will note that it was the Goddess that overrode Kumoko when spider-girl tried to prevent a new Hero from being named after Shun's older brother died. The Goddess intended for there to be a new Hero, even when it was loving up save-the-planet plans, and since she's running the system, she effectively 'chose' Shun to be the new Hero. So she might have plans for him. Sue's weird creepy obsession with Shun might be a reflection of that? (And can I just say, incest-played-for-laughs is not my cup of tea, so I hope I'm wrong and Sue's role in the upcoming events is small.)

Maybe, but we already have a reasonable explanation for Shun being chosen - because making a reincarnator the Hero (and honestly there weren't many options aside from Shun, especially if it's limited to men) would gently caress with Shiro's plans and prevent her from killing him. I don't see any reason to think that the Goddess predicted Shiro's killing of Julius.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Ytlaya posted:

*I mean seriously, you don't get much worse than that. At that point you're basically just saying torture is okay.

tbqh this is basically a default assumption even in 'heroic' fantasy so hardly without precedent

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

UberJew posted:

tbqh this is basically a default assumption even in 'heroic' fantasy so hardly without precedent

It's really, really not. It's something that happen a lot on the more 'edgy' Fantasy from authors with little knowledge. Most often, though, torture is only something that the most vile of enemies do.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just read Sugaru Miaki's "Pain, Pain Go Away" and it was really good and depressing. Between this, Three Days of Happiness, and Starting Over it seems like this guy specializes in "loving depressing romance stories". The girl he runs over being Kiriko was super predictable, but I didn't think of the possibility that they had actually met in the past and she had undone it, which was an interesting twist near the end.

UberJew posted:

Even then it's usually only done to Evil People or nameless enemy mooks (who we're also supposed to assume are evil I guess). We still haven't seen any reason to think that random people in this world deserve to suffer and die, even if their ancestors (who technically had the same souls I guess) did bad stuff. I attribute it mostly to Kumoko not exactly being a good person or having empathy towards humans, which is fine, though I'd prefer an ending solution where someone else helps because I'm not a big fan of the "heh sometimes you just gotta break an egg to make am omelette" logic that often shows up in WNs with ~badass~ protagonists. Basically, whether Kumoko is an interesting character depends heavily on whether the author wants to portray her as a bizarre character with strange values, or whether they want to portray her behavior in almost an entirely positive light. So far it's mostly been the latter (in the sense that all her ideas have worked out perfectly and anyone criticizing them has been wrong/naive, like Kuro/Goddess), but stuff like Wrath explicitly mentioning how mind-controlling people to kill their family makes him deeply uncomfortable makes me somewhat optimistic that the topic will actually be dealt with well.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 7, 2017

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Arkeus posted:

It's really, really not. It's something that happen a lot on the more 'edgy' Fantasy from authors with little knowledge. Most often, though, torture is only something that the most vile of enemies do.

The 'heroes' capturing some low level bad guy and demanding answers, then breaking their nose or stabbing them in the hand or similar to get an answer is super common

even before the dubya era media decided to just go whole hog into defending torture directly

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I will never stop being confused that no one other than blastron has translated Honzuki. It is one of the top ranked web novels and dramatically superior to most of its peers, yet somehow it goes relatively unnoticed despite 37 different slave harem titles being translated. Like, what kind of trash taste does a person have to have to see something like Shield Hero and think "mm yes, good stuff" and then see Honzuki and go "ehhh."

I just noticed that it seems like a lot of these WNs release/released a chapter a day. How do the writers keep up that kind of schedule? Honzuki has really long chapters compared with a lot of other WNs too, but it seems like it released chapters almost every day from looking at Narou.

edit: I think what Honzuki really succeeds at is telling a very slow story that gradually introduces the world the characters live in while still managing to keep things interesting.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 7, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Ytlaya posted:

I just noticed that it seems like a lot of these WNs release/released a chapter a day. How do the writers keep up that kind of schedule?
Have you noticed how many web novels frequently repeat themselves from paragraph to paragraph, repeat basically the same plot several times, or have entire chapters about minutia barely relevant to the story?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Ytlaya posted:

I will never stop being confused that no one other than blastron has translated Honzuki. It is one of the top ranked web novels and dramatically superior to most of its peers, yet somehow it goes relatively unnoticed despite 37 different slave harem titles being translated. Like, what kind of trash taste does a person have to have to see something like Shield Hero and think "mm yes, good stuff" and then see Honzuki and go "ehhh."

I just noticed that it seems like a lot of these WNs release/released a chapter a day. How do the writers keep up that kind of schedule? Honzuki has really long chapters compared with a lot of other WNs too, but it seems like it released chapters almost every day from looking at Narou.

edit: I think what Honzuki really succeeds at is telling a very slow story that gradually introduces the world the characters live in while still managing to keep things interesting.

First of all, Honzuki is basically a shoujo title. It's got a female protagonist, is written by a woman, and even got the shoujo manga label stamped on it on the manga site where it's published online. Narou is primarily a male-targeted site, so it's pretty natural that it gets buried under all the slave harem there, at least. Consequently, it was hovering around #50 on the ranking until it finally completed, which put it high on the "completed works" tab on the ranking page, and it's shot up to #24 now, but it's still relatively minor compared to many other titles. This isn't directly tied to why nobody translated it, but it explains why it was fairly obscure, at least.

Second, you have to realize that translating is Really Hard Work, unless you just dump it into a machine translation gizmo and pretend it's done. It takes balls to pick up a title that's 12000 pages long, and each chapter is nearly 4x the content of, say, Kumoko's. It means that even if you just nibble through one chapter at a time, it's still a heavy time investment to get something out there. Not everyone is excited about that kind of commitment.

Third, a lot of people who tried reading Honzuki probably gave up within the first few chapters, because the protagonist is undeniably unpleasant and selfish in the beginning. Once you get past that, it makes her growth as a character that much more impactful, but you can't really blame people for moving on to the next thing instead. Supposedly this is why the author decided to run a campaign opening up the manga freely for a week, since it's easier to forgive Maine when she's so adorably drawn.

Anyway, in regards to writing so much, the Honzuki author actually developed RSI and had to take a long break over the summer on orders from the doctor to let her arms heal. It's also pretty common for people to write a bunch of stuff as a buffer, then release the piled up chapters daily over a period, because it seems to boost the rank better, as it climbs up on the daily and weekly charts, catching more eyes. Then they take a longer break to repeat the process. Readers can only rate the very latest chapter posted, so many authors go for shorter but more frequent updates to boost the total points that way. Partly explains why Kumoko was so successful.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I don't think main characters being unpleasant and selfish is a blocker to people reading WNs, it's just not the same type of unpleasant and selfish as what the readers of rape harems aspire to be.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

darkgray posted:

First of all, Honzuki is basically a shoujo title. It's got a female protagonist, is written by a woman, and even got the shoujo manga label stamped on it on the manga site where it's published online. Narou is primarily a male-targeted site, so it's pretty natural that it gets buried under all the slave harem there, at least. Consequently, it was hovering around #50 on the ranking until it finally completed, which put it high on the "completed works" tab on the ranking page, and it's shot up to #24 now, but it's still relatively minor compared to many other titles. This isn't directly tied to why nobody translated it, but it explains why it was fairly obscure, at least.

Second, you have to realize that translating is Really Hard Work, unless you just dump it into a machine translation gizmo and pretend it's done. It takes balls to pick up a title that's 12000 pages long, and each chapter is nearly 4x the content of, say, Kumoko's. It means that even if you just nibble through one chapter at a time, it's still a heavy time investment to get something out there. Not everyone is excited about that kind of commitment.

Third, a lot of people who tried reading Honzuki probably gave up within the first few chapters, because the protagonist is undeniably unpleasant and selfish in the beginning. Once you get past that, it makes her growth as a character that much more impactful, but you can't really blame people for moving on to the next thing instead. Supposedly this is why the author decided to run a campaign opening up the manga freely for a week, since it's easier to forgive Maine when she's so adorably drawn.

Anyway, in regards to writing so much, the Honzuki author actually developed RSI and had to take a long break over the summer on orders from the doctor to let her arms heal. It's also pretty common for people to write a bunch of stuff as a buffer, then release the piled up chapters daily over a period, because it seems to boost the rank better, as it climbs up on the daily and weekly charts, catching more eyes. Then they take a longer break to repeat the process. Readers can only rate the very latest chapter posted, so many authors go for shorter but more frequent updates to boost the total points that way. Partly explains why Kumoko was so successful.

Yeah, I can totally see why translators might choose to overlook Honzuki even if it's really good. It's super long, has a lot of descriptions of archaic paper-making and printing devices, lots of made up katakana names for animals/plants and stuff that need romanizations, and later on has a lot of distinctions between formal/casual speech that just don't translate into English well. I can read it well enough but I would not want to be responsible for trying to write a readable translation of it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah, my confusion wasn't so much about them not choosing to translate Honzuki as it is about them choosing to translate a million other terrible things instead. I certainly don't think people have an obligation to translate stuff, but it's just weird that someone would think "let's translate some web novels...hmm, this slave harem one looks good, let's do this one."

I think that not having a male protagonist is a big part of it, since the main purpose these web novels seem to fulfill for many readers is "a power fantasy where my self-insert gets to gently caress a harem of women," and Honzuki doesn't really check any boxes there.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, my confusion wasn't so much about them not choosing to translate Honzuki as it is about them choosing to translate a million other terrible things instead. I certainly don't think people have an obligation to translate stuff, but it's just weird that someone would think "let's translate some web novels...hmm, this slave harem one looks good, let's do this one."

I think that not having a male protagonist is a big part of it, since the main purpose these web novels seem to fulfill for many readers is "a power fantasy where my self-insert gets to gently caress a harem of women," and Honzuki doesn't really check any boxes there.

You also need to take the relative language proficiency of the types that are drawn to "slave harem bonanza 2000". It's relatively easy to translate tons of dumb sound effects and simplistic single-sentence story structure and these dumb copy-paste novels are basically phone compositions.

Honzuki is more novel-esque. Imagine trying to translate something like worm to another language, it may not be high literature but it's pretty detailed.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Well then, I guess it's going to be a while until I can translate as well as Blastron. I don't want to go down the path of facilitating the popularity of problematic and boring power fantasies.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 8, 2017

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

darkgray posted:

So can I ask, when does Maine start to turn around? Because I stalled out on the translations around... chapter 23, I think? And Maine being a miserable little book junkie and all-round terrible person was a large part of why.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Autonomous Monster posted:

So can I ask, when does Maine start to turn around? Because I stalled out on the translations around... chapter 23, I think? And Maine being a miserable little book junkie and all-round terrible person was a large part of why.

Shortly after chapter 23 she begins working with others to get her will done. As it turns out, exactly because books and paper are so rare, they are also very valuable, and money is a great motivational factor in getting others to help you.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

nielsm posted:

Shortly after chapter 23 she begins working with others to get her will done. As it turns out, exactly because books and paper are so rare, they are also very valuable, and money is a great motivational factor in getting others to help you.

Well poo poo. That'll teach me to drop stuff.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FriggenJ posted:

Honzuki is more novel-esque. Imagine trying to translate something like worm to another language, it may not be high literature but it's pretty detailed.

I actually find that Google translate seems to do a better job with Honzuki than, say, Kumoko. I think it's because there's less slang and casual/web-based writing (which translation algorithms generally have no clue what to do with). Maybe 2/3 of the results are easily understandable and the rest can quickly be inferred by hovering over the text and looking at the Japanese with Rikai-kun installed.

Speaking of translation algorithms, it's funny (but understandable) that they seem usually incapable of figuring out if something like "obasan" is referring to a literal aunt or just a middle aged lady. Japanese relies so heavily on context clues that I can't image an algorithm ever translating it truly well (unless we achieve true AI or something).

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
isn't google translate basically operated by an ai at this point anyway

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yeah, right after that she starts making paper, completing the first batch around chapter 36. After that it starts to get a lot more interesting as she starts interacting with merchants, getting more resources, and selling rights for products she makes.

The real turnaround is even later, past where the translations are up to. While I enjoyed part 1, which ends around chapter 72, part 2 was where it picked up emotionally, and the further on you go in the series the more the fantasy elements start to show up.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

UberJew posted:

The 'heroes' capturing some low level bad guy and demanding answers, then breaking their nose or stabbing them in the hand or similar to get an answer is super common

even before the dubya era media decided to just go whole hog into defending torture directly

Not in fantasy. A very small subset of super-edgy fantasy sometimes does it, but that's a small subset of a small subset of the genre.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Arkeus posted:

Not in fantasy. A very small subset of super-edgy fantasy sometimes does it, but that's a small subset of a small subset of the genre.

I really think you are out of touch with how much of fantasy is still keyed in to the olden days when shirtless white guys with big swords completely brutalized the Jew Black perfidious ork because he was innately evil and had a hooked nose or something.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Been a while since I last did this, so posting latest data.

Narou ranking top 30 (as of today):

01 - 380k: Mushoku Tensei
02 - 292k: Kenkyo, Kenjitsu o Motto ni Ikite Orimasu
03 - 290k: Hachinan tte, Sore wa Nai Deshou!
04 - 287k: Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou
05 - 280k: Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken
06 - 263k: Death March kara Hajimaru Isekai Kyusoukyoku
07 - 263k: Re:Zero Kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu
08 - 258k: Slave Harem in the Labyrinth of the Other World
09 - 258k: Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?
10 - 236k: Regarding the Display of an Outrageous Skill Which Has Incredible Powers
11 - 204k: Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari
12 - 195k: The Other World Dining Hall
13 - 194k: I Said Make My Abilities Average!
14 - 191k: Konjiki no Moji Tsukai
15 - 187k: Fairy Tale Chronicle*
16 - 181k: Reincarnated into a Werewolf, the Demon Lord Servants
17 - 181k: Magi’s Grandson
18 - 179k: I’m a NEET but When I Went to Hello Work I Got Taken to Another World
19 - 177k: Legend
20 - 172k: Because Janitor-san Is Not a Hero
21 - 170k: Log Horizon
22 - 169k: Kono Sekai ga Game da to, Ore dake ga Shitte Iru
23 - 166k: Ascendance of a Bookworm
24 - 166k: Magi Craft Meister
25 - 161k: Nidome no Jinsei wo Isekai de
26 - 161k: Risou no Himo Seikatsu
27 - 159k: 10nen-goshi no Hikiniito wo Yamete Gaishutsu Shitara Jitaku Goto Isekai ni Teni Shiteta
28 - 159k: Common Sense of a Duke's Daughter
29 - 158k: Maou-sama no Machizukuri! ~Saikyou no Danjon wa Kindai Toshi~
30 - 157k: Shinka no Mi

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I'm surprised to see Kenkyo so high.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I'm surprised to see Kenkyo so high.

Different tastes and all that, but I personally think it's better than Honzuki. Perfectly executed.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

darkgray posted:

Different tastes and all that, but I personally think it's better than Honzuki. Perfectly executed.

Yeah, I've really enjoyed Kenkyo. Wish the translation updated more consistently, though.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Mulva posted:

I really think you are out of touch with how much of fantasy is still keyed in to the olden days when shirtless white guys with big swords completely brutalized the Jew Black perfidious ork because he was innately evil and had a hooked nose or something.

While that is certainly possible, I have read a poo poo ton of fantasy and have found that 'torture by the good guys' are usually extremely rare and often written by either fringe elements of the grimderp crowd, or amusingly written by the 'popular to people who don't read fantasy' crowd (Jordan, Goodkind, Rothfuss).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

Is there anything else that fits into the same "shoujo version of an isekai story" genre (edit: and is good)? I also enjoy Kenkyo (one of literally a handful of Japanese WNs I like), though not quite as much as Honzuki (I think because Kenkyo priorities humor over plot, which is fine but I tend to enjoy more plot-focused things).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the problem with that strangely specific genre is that none are completely translated, and given oniichanyamete's track record many never will be.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Is there anything else that fits into the same "shoujo version of an isekai story" genre (edit: and is good)? I also enjoy Kenkyo (one of literally a handful of Japanese WNs I like), though not quite as much as Honzuki (I think because Kenkyo priorities humor over plot, which is fine but I tend to enjoy more plot-focused things).

As mentioned, there are so few foreign female fans of the genre that nobody seems to bother translating, I guess? One of the better ones is Kita no Toride nite, about a fluffy little fox girl, but the English release pace is fairly hopeless.

On the other hand you also have stuff like Heikinchi, which is ridiculously popular, already up to #13 on Narou's ranking. It's pretty much a blatant take on the "omg im so stronk" genre, except done by a woman. Probably. Didn't excite me much personally, but might be worth having a look at to see the other side.

I think one issue might be that the female-targeted stuff often tends to be short stories, and as such they don't get the time/views necessary to build up the points to hit the ranking like the long-running serialized titles. There's still tons and tons of it, plus an entire sister-site dedicated to just lady porn (mostly BL and whatever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

There's a whole bunch of "I've been reincarnated as the villain in an otome game/shoujo manga!" stories- and I mean dozens of these things with the exact same cookie cutter plot. Kenkyo is by far the best of them and if you've read that you've read all of them. But if you want another one in that vein, It Seems Like I Got Reincarnated Into The World of a Yandere Otome Game is alright. Simply Good Taste for a Duke's Daughter is a slightly different take on the same idea (it starts after the villainess's downfall).

I think I read one that was actually complete and fully translated at some point, but it was so utterly forgettable I can't even remember the name. :shrug:

There's also Dragon Life, which is about a girl who reincarnates as a dragon and gets up to dragon things. Perhaps not to your taste, though? I think you're the one who has a problem with inhuman protagonists. She spends a fair chunk of the story straight up eating people. Ditto Tale of a Careless Demon.

If all you really want is isekai with a female protagonist, there's Evil God Average, which has a pretty great first half. Kansutoppu!, The Girl Who Ate Death and The Girl Who Bore the Flame Ring aren't isekai, technically speaking, but are similar in a lot of ways. There's a list of webnovels with female protagonists on Oniichanyamete which I found a few of these on.

But I'll not lie to you, I'm not a great fan of any of these. None of them match to the likes of Kenkyo or Kumo. What I do like a lot is My Disciple Died Yet Again, which is a chinese/xianxia take on the genre.

Anyway! I'm up to date with Honzuki now (Maine actually turns it around in chapter 24. I have never self-owned so hard in my life :cripes:), and it's all good, but now I have a new problem. Maine seems to be really concerned about charging a fair price to the customer... but also perfectly content to bilk her craftmen- her own family. Girl, your priorities are exactly backwards.