Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bennyfranks
Jun 23, 2005

IGNORE ME!

Goro is the worst and I dread the day he forces himself into my party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I want to level up Ryuji's social link, but I also don't want the ability that auto-kills weaker enemies because of all the money I could extort from them

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fabricated posted:

I'm barely starting this game and I have a feeling I'm going to need a spreadsheet of poo poo in front of me to play it properly. This game is good but it makes me realize how much my attention span has been destroyed in the last decade or so.

Like it's really bad. I used to be able to grind out anything and everything- I liked poo poo like Morrowind which has an insanely fleshed out world and no waypoints/compass, and I loved the Baldur's Gate series and min-maxing DND 2e characters and micromanaging combat. And I find myself almost entirely unwilling to read the tutorials here when I know for a fact that you really loving need to understand the battle system to not get completely wrecked even on normal.

It's overwhelming at first but the game is fundamentally simple. Outside of dungeons you have social stats and confidant encounters, the former having an impact on the latter. Leveling confidants, known as S-links, will give you better fusion bonuses and new Persona to fuse in that arcana.

Combat is all about hitting weaknesses and killing enemies fast. The longer a battle lasts, the more danger you'll be in, as every encounter has the capacity to be a fatal one if you make a misstep. Save often, and don't get too bothered by death. Bosses and midbosses have start-of-fight checkpoints, which actually makes this easier than some prior entries. This is not a game you can sleepwalk through battles, but if you find combat too stressful, I think there's an easier difficulty you can select.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

bennyfranks posted:

ball chef posted:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Can Ryuji's "instant kill on ambush" skill even trigger outside of Mementos? I've never seen it happen and I'm coming up to the fifth palace at this point. Maybe I'm just underleveled, but I don't feel like it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Hold the phone, I thought Kamoshida was getting me expelled - so I'd have to clear the first dungeon on the spot - but the game's going ahead toward the weekend.

Is there some later deadline they're gonna throw at me or what? Cause it feels like I just walked out of his office without any real consequences.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Saigyouji posted:

Can Ryuji's "instant kill on ambush" skill even trigger outside of Mementos? I've never seen it happen and I'm coming up to the fifth palace at this point. Maybe I'm just underleveled, but I don't feel like it.

Yeah. You need to pretty significantly overlevel the shadows but I had it trigger on the early enemies in Palace 3 and 4 when I was doing some money grinding after clearing the rest of the dungeon.

Bad Seafood posted:

Hold the phone, I thought Kamoshida was getting me expelled - so I'd have to clear the first dungeon on the spot - but the game's going ahead toward the weekend.

Is there some later deadline they're gonna throw at me or what? Cause it feels like I just walked out of his office without any real consequences.

There's some kind of major staff meeting coming up on May 2nd. He'll be getting you, Ryugi and Mishima expelled there. He mentions it as you leave.

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 9, 2017

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

He's bringing it up at the next faculty meeting, so you have until then to clear it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Zore posted:

There's some kind of major staff meeting coming up on May 2nd. He'll be getting you, Ryugi and Mishima expelled there. He mentions it as you leave.

Saagonsa posted:

He's bringing it up at the next faculty meeting, so you have until then to clear it.
Ah, alright then. Must've accidently skipped that bit of dialogue.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I really wish I'd never played Xenoblade X, because now every time I used Third Eye I immediately think "I CAN'T SEE YOU, I CAN'T FEEL YOU"

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

december dungeon spoilers im honestly really glad goro stayed loving dead, and that they didn't give you the option to redeem him into your party. dude murdered alot of people

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

bennyfranks posted:

Goro is Naoto, but good and cool and strong, and gently caress you!!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Terper posted:

Naoto was good and cool AND strong though!!!!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Terper posted:

Naoto was good and strong!!!

Honestly ppl even overstate how bad or hard to use she was in pre-Golden P4

e;fb

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I like how when you go to America half the loading screen silhouettes turn into fat dudes drinking soda.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ryuji's awakened persona is the best

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

wizard on a water slide posted:

Naoto was good and strong!!!

Honestly ppl even overstate how bad or hard to use she was in pre-Golden P4

e;fb

She was useless in all interpretations of the term.

They wouldn't have hard revamped her if she wasn't

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Does Attack/Accuracy Up affect magic attacks? What is the Recovery on the Baton pass, is that talking about healing spell effectiveness

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I knew the 100% NG guide would be miserable but I had to switch down to Safe mode when it said to reach the treasure and leave the dungeon with an huge amount of yen in one day.

I was paying Easy before that and that felt closer to persona 3 and persona 4 on their normal difficulties

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Naoto was cool in 4 because she had a gun. Now everyone is packing heat, even the artist dude is Oscar Mike Tango Down with an M4

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Does Attack/Accuracy Up affect magic attacks? What is the Recovery on the Baton pass, is that talking about healing spell effectiveness

attack/accuracy effects magic. don't know what recovery does.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I'm only at level 3 or 4 but Kawakami's S.Link is the funniest poo poo ever. I'm selling off potions and poo poo I really need to pay an unenthusiastic, weird hooker to come feed me cup o noodles and take a nap on my bed, it's just like real life

bennyfranks posted:

finally someone here has good and correct opinions about Goro

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hahaha the third target's voice is amazing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

I gotta appreciate how many opportunities they give you to poo poo on Yuuki.

Yeah, but it's a shame you need to hang out with him to get most of those opportunities.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'm only at level 3 or 4 but Kawakami's S.Link is the funniest poo poo ever. I'm selling off potions and poo poo I really need to pay an unenthusiastic, weird hooker to come feed me cup o noodles and take a nap on my bed, it's just like real life

finally someone here has good and correct opinions about Goro

The lesson of this game is "Only trust your fists, the police will never help you" so of course I'm going to dumpster Teen Cop at every opportunity

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Naoto was cool in 4 because she had a gun. Now everyone is packing heat, even the artist dude is Oscar Mike Tango Down with an M4

Yusuke clearly spent some time playing The Secret World, running with a blades and assault rifle setup.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

oh god what do I get rid of so Makoto can learn Marakukaja, dammit

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I picked Flash Bomb

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Arist posted:

oh god what do I get rid of so Makoto can learn Marakukaja, dammit

This was my struggle, but with Haru. Basically everything she gets is useful.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The lesson of this game is "Only trust your fists, the police will never help you" so of course I'm going to dumpster Teen Cop at every opportunity
the only cop i'd ever is Teen Cop

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Oh hey a direct reference to Yakuza (the video game series)

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Mishima is going to shoot up our school isn't he

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I thought Akechi was a girl when I first saw him.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I am on the Last boss on the Boat

What Personas did you guys use? Shadow Shindo is kicking my rear end I got him down to 25% on his Super Shadow form where he has like four turns. Any good Phys Immune Personas besides Arahabaki for higher levels?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Pollyanna posted:

I thought Akechi was a girl when I first saw him.
god i wish

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

What decides who you hang out with on the Hawaii trip? I thought it might whoever had the highest confidant rank but Ann and Makoto are tied and it only gave me the option of the latter.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Fat_Cow posted:

I am on the Last boss on the Boat

What Personas did you guys use? Shadow Shindo is kicking my rear end I got him down to 25% on his Super Shadow form where he has like four turns. Any good Phys Immune Personas besides Arahabaki for higher levels?

i made Siegfried.

strength let me fuse him even though i wasn't as high a level.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Scrap Dragon posted:

What decides who you hang out with on the Hawaii trip? I thought it might whoever had the highest confidant rank but Ann and Makoto are tied and it only gave me the option of the latter.

What rank are they? I think it does a similar thing P4G did with Rise at the summer festival because the game assumes you haven't had enough time to finish the Confidant/Link so it automatically gives you the option.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I only got the option for Makoto and Ryugi in Hawaii. Ann is maxed and Makoto is rank 5 so :shrug:

Maybe it has to do with how you answer the question about which girl you like the night before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Ceramics posted:

Mishima is going to shoot up our school isn't he

It was only a model gun he got you bunch of dweebs. He even comments on "it was apparently banned for looking to realistic".

The better question is why he ordered it offline for lots of cash when the Airsoft Shop exists right in Shibuya.