Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

a dude accidentally entered big red into a big modern or legacy event, i cant recall, and ended up placing really highly. this was, hrm, i cant remember if this was when stormbreath dragon was legal or what. i cant even remember if it was modo or irl but if i was a gamblin man i'd say it was modo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

80s James Hetfield posted:

more people would play legacy if they realized their standard and modern decks were legacy legal. problem solved.

one time I played "legacy" and t2 I played a deadly recluse and the guy looked at me like I just murdered his entire family

Lol

Man, Legacy really is all about straight gas

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

a dude accidentally entered big red into a big modern or legacy event, i cant recall, and ended up placing really highly. this was, hrm, i cant remember if this was when stormbreath dragon was legal or what. i cant even remember if it was modo or irl but if i was a gamblin man i'd say it was modo.

There was a guy who misclicked r/b zombies during innistrad in a modern event and 4-0'd because it turns out curving into T4 hellrider is just pretty good.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

rabidsquid posted:

Rich Shay 4/0d a vintage daily with modern burn a while ago because the deck selection interface was somehow even worse in the past than it is now.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I was 3-0 at eternal weekend in 2015 with standard Naya Dragons because it turns out shops has a hard time w/ t3 dragonlord dromoka.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I played M:O standard RDW against modern burn and it seemed to win pretty consistently due to not constantly bolting itself with lands.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Skyl3lazer posted:

I was 3-0 at eternal weekend in 2015 with standard Naya Dragons because it turns out shops has a hard time w/ t3 dragonlord dromoka.

Turn 3?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Land, elf. Land, caryatid, elf. Land, Dromoka

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

more people would play legacy if they realized their standard and modern decks were legacy legal. problem solved.

one time I played "legacy" and t2 I played a deadly recluse and the guy looked at me like I just murdered his entire family

Showed up to Modern night a few years ago with Mill, not realizing they did Legacy night in its spot once a month. I 2-0d Manaless Dredge, that was a weird match.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Walked posted:

I like this. May give it a run on modo.

Why only three opals?

Opal isn't quite as abusive in this deck as in regular Affinity because I've cut several of the artifact 1-drops to make room for the counter abuse. It's still quite good but I kept finding myself drawing two copies and REALLY wishing one had been a land, so I went 19 lands 3 Opal, rather than 18 & 4

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

good work everyone

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

good work everyone

You asked, they delivered!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

so, on scg a few minutes back:

Andrew Jessup casts DRS, then Craterhoof. His opp starts exiling lands with his two deathrites to hardcast a force and Jessup tries to respond to the second one with his own shaman and then is like "oh yeah oops" once his opponent corrects him.

lol

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Elyv posted:

Andrew Jessup casts DRS, then Craterhoof. His opp starts exiling lands with his two deathrites to hardcast a force and Jessup tries to respond to the second one with his own shaman and then is like "oh yeah oops" once his opponent corrects him.

lol

Positive ev move.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

sit on my Facebook posted:

Opal isn't quite as abusive in this deck as in regular Affinity because I've cut several of the artifact 1-drops to make room for the counter abuse. It's still quite good but I kept finding myself drawing two copies and REALLY wishing one had been a land, so I went 19 lands 3 Opal, rather than 18 & 4

So I've been dabbling with it a bit; and am considering dropping the Winding Constrictor in favor of Ancient Stirrings. The somewhat frequent 'being short two colored mana sources + sometimes just being short like a single Walking Ballista to close out the game' makes it really appealing to be able to dig 5 deep.

It gets rid of the dependency on black, and lets you dig for some gas to close it out in the last few turns.

Flipside is you're stuck with only 4x 1/1 counter sources, which might just be too little to be viable.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Elyv posted:

lol

Wait, I thought that worked?

Obviously I do not play Legacy

Edit: oh right, summoning sickness obviously

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mossyfisk posted:

Wait, I thought that worked?

Jessup probably isn't playing Concordant Crossroads.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Watching Eli Kassis play is so infuriating. Its like hes a sloth hiding in a nerds body.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Watching Eli Kassis play is so infuriating. Its like hes a sloth hiding in a nerds body.

Makes you wonder if he's related to Jim Davis, huh.

Edit: Also where's the R/B Aftermath card called Axe//Grind

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 9, 2017

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
This mono red sneak deck is cool

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I feel bad for the D&T player who missed on lands for a bunch of turns so he couldn't Council's Judgement that Batterskull.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Sampatrick posted:

I feel bad for the D&T player who missed on lands for a bunch of turns so he couldn't Council's Judgement that Batterskull.

I feel good watching 4 color decks and BUG get blown out by bloodmoon though.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I'm trying out that UR prowess deck because i think a bunch of decks cannot beat price of progress and one counterspell

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I feel good watching 4 color decks and BUG get blown out by bloodmoon though.

I feel bad watching the Miracle decks Bloodmoon people.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Sampatrick posted:

Not me.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

This mono red sneak deck is cool

that guy plays at store i go to

Sampatrick posted:

its actually good to do

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Sampatrick posted:

same, because back to basics is much funnier and almost as good

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Lol young jessup basically goes undefeated both days only to lose to miracles in the first top 8 match

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Lol young jessup basically goes undefeated both days only to lose to miracles in the first top 8 match

im glad of it.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

I'm trying out that UR prowess deck because i think a bunch of decks cannot beat price of progress and one counterspell

I've been playing it basically since Dig Through Time got banned and solidarity got too lovely again, and it's a solid deck but it never quite feels powerful enough. The good draws are great, but most of the time you have to work really hard for your wins, and even then you might not actually win. It's also still pretty good, all things considered, rewarding to play, and reasonably affordable to build for a legacy deck. As with any legacy deck, I think the more you play it and the more you understand the metagame, the better you'll do with it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Finally got a chance to hit some Modern Masters drafts today, and you guys were loving right. This format is awesome. Went 2-0-1 in both drafts. First deck was a Bant tokens random stuff (to include Stoic Angel and Voice of Resurgence). The most ridiculous match was round 2 against a guy whose deck was just mediocre U/W stall but would eventually crush you with Entreat for a million. I was able to beat him game one after entreat for 6 just through the use of infinite Penumbra Spiders. :v: We finished the game after 35 minutes, and we ended up drawing game two, so I got the match. (He would have beaten me in a couple more turns.)

Second deck was Sultai insanity. It was basically G/U splashing black for 2 Dinrova Horror, Morii, and Damnation. The deck also featured Craterhoof, Scooze, and Ulvenwald Tracker. So completely broken, holy poo poo. 10/10 would play again.

All told, I ended up with: Voice of Resurgence, Damnation, Foil Bonfire of the Damned, Foil Craterhoof Behemoth, Snapcaster Mage, Arid Mesa, Scooze, Cyclonic Rift, Ranger of Eos, and Gifts Ungiven as poo poo worth anything.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

sit on my Facebook posted:

Fair enough. I'm going to give your list a run as-is through an MTGO league tomorrow night. I was thinking about giving Affinity a whirl; but its enough of a twist that its not just standard affinity.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
An MTG artist posted and promptly pulled an art piece onto Instagram, tagging it with #Samut #Planeswalker.

If this is the set's third PW, the Nissa art may have been for HoD (Maro said there are 3 PWs in AKH). Or they made a mistake with the tagging, and this is actually a legend (but you'd expect them to know the difference; getting a PW is a big deal).

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

like 90% of the people i played magic with when i did loved storm more than life itself and playing magic against storm is the dullest experience in the universe and also entirely pointless if you were somehow stuck with standard or modern cards

they had a ten proxy for-fun tournament regularly which i went to before the omnitell bans with that deck and then just stopped afterwards b/c there was no way to cheaply make a ten proxy deck that had any relevance against so much storm (and i was sick of watching people who are much slower than i am at basic arithmetic slooooooooooooooooowly figure out they had already won the game)

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Making "for fun" draft style decks for Kaladesh & Aether Revolt has really hammered home how utterly miserable the impact of vehicles was.

There is no color combination that isn't improved by Renegade Freighters and an Untethered Express.

In fact, have pushed colorless cards ever led to a good draft environment?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

I love playing bloodmoon. It's spicy as gently caress.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

PJOmega posted:

Rise of the Eldrazi? Or does the cheapest pushed colorless card costing 8 sorta balance that out?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Just so I can confirm, there is no game rule that requires goyf dice to be used when its in play correct? I had an opponent get into a really heated judge call with me because I refused to update the dice for goyf when his power/toughness changed. My opponent is the one who pulled out the dice and its my opponent who then failed to keep up with it. He would ask me how large goyf was so often it got to a point where I reading the card to him. I don't feel its my job to babysit the dice unless I choose to use the dice myself. At no time did I attempt to misrepresent the gamestate. He lost the match because he lost track of the fact that I use tarfire on a creature on his the and then squeaked by with exactly lethal after he chose not to block my goyf.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 10, 2017

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

PJOmega posted:

Making "for fun" draft style decks for Kaladesh & Aether Revolt has really hammered home how utterly miserable the impact of vehicles was.

There is no color combination that isn't improved by Renegade Freighters and an Untethered Express.

I did a throwback draft of Mirrodin block once and it was fun. I don't know how many drafts it'd hold up to, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Just so I can confirm, there is no game rule that requires goyf dice to be used when its in play correct? I had an opponent get into a really heated judge call with me because I refused to update the dice for goyf when his power/toughness changed. My opponent is the one who pulled out the dice and its my opponent who then failed to keep up with it. He would ask me how large goyf was so often it got to a point where I reading the card to him. I don't feel its my job to babysit the dice unless I choose to use the dice myself. At no time did I attempt to misrepresent the gamestate. He lost the match because you lost track of the fact that I use tarfire on a creature of his the turn before and then squeaked by with exactly lethal after he chose not to block my goyf.

You shouldn't be putting dice on a card that doesn't have counters on it in the first place. If it was as bad as you said when I watched the match, I'd give him a slow play penalty.

• Locked thread