Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PathAsc posted:

Any of bone crew want to run through crota tonight? I've got the cp. Plz meng

You're way more likely to get responses if you ask in the slack chat, you may not get a full raid right away but you'll at least be able to ask and maybe hook up with one that people are running later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

haveblue posted:

Yeah, it sounds like it's easy to just figure out what you're supposed to be doing based on your situation.

Teleported, got relic: kill minions, kill oracle 3, cleanse people until it's platform time

Teleported, no relic: Shoot oracle 1, if you don't get the kill shoot oracle 2, then go outside

Not teleported: Kill supplicants until oracle 3 dies, go inside, keep shooting oracles until you get your kill

yeah basically. Although maybe have 2 of the outside people go in a bit earlier, and then have last outside person go in as the pair of initial teleported peeps come out. Relic holder leaves with them/as 6th comes in to get to the middle to set up for dps. Last person should be able to just kill oracle, leave, and jump to the middle even when half blind so they don't need a cleanse.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
If you're outside just go in as soon as you saw somebody walk out, waiting is wiping

The only reason you're outside is to stop the everybody-is-in-a-timegate wipe trigger. When one of the teleported guys has come outside, you become a liability the longer you don't do your job of finding an oracle to shoot

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

If you're outside just go in as soon as you saw somebody walk out, waiting is wiping

The only reason you're outside is to stop the everybody-is-in-a-timegate wipe trigger. When one of the teleported guys has come outside, you become a liability the longer you don't do your job of finding an oracle to shoot

No, you're outside to shoot supplicants too.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!
Overthinking this is how you wipe for an hour. When you're teleported or jump in a portal, shoot oracles. If your name pops up, don't shoot oracles anymore. If you're outside, jump in when someone jumps out. Jump out after you kill an oracle. At the end of the cycle, DPS Atheon. The group I did it with didn't make complex strategy plans ahead of time and it went fine.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Rick_Hunter posted:

No, you're outside to shoot supplicants too.

Yeah, Supplicants tend to be the thing people forget about when coming out of the portal, so whoever's outside has to be on that poo poo.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Got one spot left for crota if anyone wants, have one spot left

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

There's always that one loving death.

:negative:

The hilarious part is the one guy that beat me to Best Around went 16 and 17. destiny dot txt

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

PathAsc posted:

Got one spot left for crota if anyone wants, have one spot left

sorry can't respond. phone postin because MY GIRLFRIEND is hella aggro'd atm

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Maker Of Shoes posted:

sorry can't respond. phone postin because MY GIRLFRIEND is hella aggro'd atm

All good, I'm sorry for your loss

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

There's a glitch with Memory of Timur in VoG, you cannot kill an oracle when using it and running relic. Also, never use Timur ever anyway

Roman fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 10, 2017

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Spaghetti Code strikes again

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Timur is best for trolling your bros.

And I'm pretty sure you can kill oracles with timur on, as I was doing it during templar fight a few days ago.

Unless you only mean Atheon oracles?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I forgot to say when running relic. Seems you only do like 3000 damage per smash with relic + timur

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
The aetheon challenge is like most of the other hard stuff in the game. You get through it just fine with practice and communication.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Fair enough but my point about always being able to super oracle 3 stands and is important. We should figure out exactly why others can't build the energy as quickly so we can fix it.

One group I went with had a bad habit of standing around looking at each other for a minute before deciding to pick up the relic. I'd imagine that is the problem with most when building super, unless there's some interaction with INT (I doubt this)

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Re: atheon numbers, words incoming

This is just like assigning everyone their specific kings fall platforms vs having people be 1st, 2nd, 3rd, although the order strat there is analogous to the unordered strat here.

It's about minimizing uncertain points of failure and being able to identify them to fix them, which is related to giving people the most straightforward possible individual tasks.

I agree that a good season group where each member is comfortable only needs to have the relic guy say which one is his and a 6th man claim that role. Good groups with stronger members can use a strat that has more individual points of failure but fewer team points of failure.

But in a situation where each member has the ultimate responsibility for a task, if you have even one guy who is not comfortable with exactly where each one spawns and with reading the feed while the screen gets dark and also navigating the terrain while the screen gets dark it can go to poo poo really quickly.

Theoretically the only issue is with 4 and 5. But if all your relic men can't reliably hit 3 and need to take 4 that's another issue to account for dynamically. And if someone kills 3 as the relic guy is winding up his super, there's another dynamic situation as the relic guy has to slam one and slamming 4, 5 or 6 can easily result in the slam hitting 2 oracles or flying off the map.

There's more than enough time on the outside for those people to hear the relic guy call one, have one guy call 6 and then one guy call 4 or 5 to set the order. And there's still time to remind any guy who's new or just less experienced exactly where his oracle is.

Just like with more advanced groups moving away from set platforms on oryx to a set order of jumpers because it's more straightforward when everyone is good and understands the relic position and rotation order, I expect good and familiar teams to move to just calling out relic oracle and last man.

"Sir I'm sorry we don't have Whoppers, this is a McDonalds drive through."

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
god drat dweeb

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

FishBulb posted:

god drat dweeb

It's easy to do all the words on a 6 hour probbie while the masters is on

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Challenge is really easy with basic communication. First three kills are decided for you and the outside can nominate who goes 6th by one person jumping on top of the pillar.

First three get teleported. Relic grabber is automatically 3rd. He runs off and starts bashing cunts. One person nominates eg "thisguy first orcale BlindSite 2nd" then wait till you see name in the kill field and take your own down.

Get a clense and the relic holder pew pews his, the 2 not on the pillar come through based on the relic holders call out and nominate the 1st and 2nd. Same way the original two did.

First two go through and take over the pillar while he jumps through and gets the 6th and you all meet in the middle.

Only issue we've ever had is when i was almost blind and miss timed my jump and died and a couple times when the oracles died but lagged and counted as not dead.

Numbering off is dumb, just have one person take control. Even if its just the relic holder nominating by name the order as people come through. Dont shoot an oracle till you see their name in the feed.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

It's easy to do all the words on a 6 hour probbie while the masters is on

Yes watching golf makes you heck of less dweeb

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

BlindSite posted:

Challenge is really easy with basic communication. First three kills are decided for you and the outside can nominate who goes 6th by one person jumping on top of the pillar.

First three get teleported. Relic grabber is automatically 3rd. He runs off and starts bashing cunts. One person nominates eg "thisguy first orcale BlindSite 2nd" then wait till you see name in the kill field and take your own down.

Get a clense and the relic holder pew pews his, the 2 not on the pillar come through based on the relic holders call out and nominate the 1st and 2nd. Same way the original two did.

First two go through and take over the pillar while he jumps through and gets the 6th and you all meet in the middle.

Only issue we've ever had is when i was almost blind and miss timed my jump and died and a couple times when the oracles died but lagged and counted as not dead.

Numbering off is dumb, just have one person take control. Even if its just the relic holder nominating by name the order as people come through. Dont shoot an oracle till you see their name in the feed.

This is no different than doing full numbers off, with the exception that the 2nd and 5th oracle people are implicitly numbered.

It also breaks down if the relic holder can't get 3.

If 2 and 5 explicitly call out their numbers it confirms for the team they fully understand their role and everyone on the team fully understands their responsibilities.

Until people are really comfortable with the challenge it makes sense to always do this. But I do understand goons can be uncomfortable with being socially outgoing, even if the extend of the interaction is saying a single number or maybe a second number of two people say the same one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is anyone else's allegiances page bugged out?

6/7 done, but three factions are greyed out and not able to be completed (even though I fit criteria for FWC/NM/Shaxx on at least one of three characters).

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

xzzy posted:

6/7 done, but three factions are greyed out and not able to be completed (even though I fit criteria for FWC/NM/Shaxx on at least one of three characters).

bc this game is trash garbage it will only show filled bubbles that are appropriate to that character. you still got the bubbles filled in and the xp for them on those characters, since it's showing 6/7 bubbles filled.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

xzzy posted:

It will bug out if you are on a character that doesn't have rank 25 in a faction but one of your others has it and you've popped the dot. Nothing to worry about, it won't affect your final aggregate book %.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

This is no different than doing full numbers off, with the exception that the 2nd and 5th oracle people are implicitly numbered.

It also breaks down if the relic holder can't get 3.

If 2 and 5 explicitly call out their numbers it confirms for the team they fully understand their role and everyone on the team fully understands their responsibilities.

Until people are really comfortable with the challenge it makes sense to always do this. But I do understand goons can be uncomfortable with being socially outgoing, even if the extend of the interaction is saying a single number or maybe a second number of two people say the same one.

I dunno. I always find its way easier just to be given or give someone a direct instruction for the first three if the relic holders super isnt up to shoot it they can let the rotating pair basically move up the queue and take theirs last or before 6th (pillar) comes through.

Our relic holders are always super quick to grab the relic and gank the adds really fast so the super hasnt been an issue.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Legs Benedict posted:

bc this game is trash garbage it will only show filled bubbles that are appropriate to that character. you still got the bubbles filled in and the xp for them on those characters, since it's showing 6/7 bubbles filled.

I don't think that's completely right as my rank41 FWC character has it greyed out, but whatever. Bungo gonna bungo.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

BlindSite posted:

I dunno. I always find its way easier just to be given or give someone a direct instruction for the first three if the relic holders super isnt up to shoot it they can let the rotating pair basically move up the queue and take theirs last or before 6th (pillar) comes through.

Our relic holders are always super quick to grab the relic and gank the adds really fast so the super hasnt been an issue.

I mean if I'm outside and I hear someone say 6 I'll say "Rasheed has 4, who [or "X" if I can see them] has 5?"

It's all about making sure everyone understands their role. It's much easier to fix it if 5 people can say "X had 5 and it wasn't killed" rather than ending up with two people bitching about whether they or their battle buddy was supposed to shoot a relic and having to rely on deducing poo poo from the kill feed, which everyone else isn't paying attention to.

If everyone has a specific oracle to kill it makes the post wipe display extremely useful. Either you got yours or you didn't. If there's dual responsibilities for a set of oracles it's a bit harder to deduce what's happened and then you have to figure out who was actually responsible for the situation going south. Maybe the guy who killed the oracle was actually at fault because he got in super late and put a single potshot on the oracle, leaving the other guy having to reload and then finish off a fully spawned in and super healthy oracle by himself. What then?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

It will bug out if you are on a character that doesn't have rank 25 in a faction but one of your others has it and you've popped the dot. Nothing to worry about, it won't affect your final aggregate book %.

yeah it's just bugged, it only shows completed for the character you filled the bubble in, regardless of the other character's faction levels, afaik. I have rank 25 x 9 and it still doesn't show up filled in for two of my chars.

And, ok, maybe I'm dumb, but numbering for oracles: it's dynamic by round, right?

Like if A, B and C get teleported, A grabs relic, then B goes "Ok I'm oracle 1, C you're oracle 2", then persons X, Y and Z outside go "ok X is 4, Y is 5 and Z is 6"?

That doesn't really seem too bad. I was thinking... like a complicated flow chart, like "ok if A gets teleported they are Oracle 1, unless C and X are not teleported, in which case A is relic, but if A is not teleported they are 4, unless B was also not teleported..." which seemed dumb to me but alas, I am the dumb.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I mean if I'm outside and I hear someone say 6 I'll say "Rasheed has 4, who [or "X" if I can see them] has 5?"

It's all about making sure everyone understands their role. It's much easier to fix it if 5 people can say "X had 5 and it wasn't killed" rather than ending up with two people bitching about whether they or their battle buddy was supposed to shoot a relic and having to rely on deducing poo poo from the kill feed, which everyone else isn't paying attention to.

If everyone has a specific oracle to kill it makes the post wipe display extremely useful. Either you got yours or you didn't. If there's dual responsibilities for a set of oracles it's a bit harder to deduce what's happened and then you have to figure out who was actually responsible for the situation going south. Maybe the guy who killed the oracle was actually at fault because he got in super late and put a single potshot on the oracle, leaving the other guy having to reload and then finish off a fully spawned in and super healthy oracle by himself. What then?

Ive never had that issue. Like I said only failures have been bad luck using the method i mentioned.

Everyone knows their role, if you get transported youre either one or two and if you dont by someone nominating to be last by jumping pillar you automatically are either 4 or 5.

I can get why bad teams struggle though. Some people melt thinking of the whole of the fight rather than thinking all I gotta do is shoot the 2nd oracle and get to the relic then go through the portal.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Oracles always spawn in the same order.

Easiest division of labor is:

Guy who grabs relic goes "name relic mars/venus 3/4"

Two guys inside go "name 1/2"

One guy outside goes "name 6" and stays out to shoot supplicants.

By this time the portal should be open.

Other guys go "name 4/5" (or 3/5 if your relic holder is one of those guys who claims 4) and head in after aoe nading the portal side or dropping tether.

When 1/2 come out after getting cleansed they guard the back of the portal and shoot supplicants out, and 6 goes in. Relic can cleanse 4/5 at portal and head out, then they head out when done. 6 heads out when done right to the center.

The worst that happens is there's a momentary second of com confusion with 4/5 where one asserts that no, they are 4. 1 and 2 might have the same but theirs is easier to sort out on the fly by just shooting because they are both right there as their oracles spawn.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I'm not disagreeing. A well oiled team should only need to say

"Name relic 3" and "name 6"

and that's it (just like a well oiled Oryx squad literally only needs to say "I have the relic" and "go to bombs".

But until it's only tryhard squads going for min maxed armor rolls and full ornament collections, rather than everyone trying to help bros who don't have 1500+ hours in the game, it's extremely helpful to sort out the roles explicitly. Much easier to say "you were 5 and didn't shoot the 5th oracle"

Pozload Escobar fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 10, 2017

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The wipe screen will show you who didnt kill their oracle fyi.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

BlindSite posted:

Yes but like I said it's impossible to diagnose fault just from the screen sometimes.

Trust me it's happened. Someone can come in late and blast a kill shot on an oracle and peace out leaving the others hanging, or come in early and shoot the wrong oracle altogether, which can really muck things up for supplicant defense while everyone sorts poo poo out.

And even then you will likely avoid a wipe altogether if you make sure the new guy says "I got 5" so you can yell at him to get 5 if you don't hear anything. Can't assume the new guy gets it.

Solid 1-6 squads won't have these issues but trust me it can get pretty lmao with folks who are unfamiliar with vog or haven't read up on the strat. It's not necessarily their fault for failing to sperg sufficiently tho, imho

Pozload Escobar fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 10, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You still have to kill the oracles in spawn order though, right?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Another issue is if you're dealing with relic holders that can't reliably hit 3 with super, it's a real pain in the rear end to distinguish and shoot 3 when you were expecting to hit 4. I've seen it where relic doesn't explicitly call their oracle and takes 4, and the unfamiliar guy or guys now taking 3 and 5 can't distinguish between 3 and 4 upon entering because they spawn right in a line. So 4 looks like 3 or they don't even realize 3 is still up and kill 4/5 then peace out.

My whole point is there's plenty of time to take it slow and assign specific roles and this is very helpful with new people or people who get overwhelmed. And until you're dealing with teams where everyone has had direct experience with each of the oracles and roles it's much easier to direct and teach when they have specifically taken responsibility for something.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

haveblue posted:

You still have to kill the oracles in spawn order though, right?

Nope. The only limit is the oracles will eventually pop and nuke you in spawn order and they rapidly gain health while alive and unshot, but here's wiggle room to take adjacent ones out of order, like 4 before 3.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I did the challenge the first time with only a half assed explanation to go on.
I ended up just shooting the one oracle that no one else was shooting, getting cleansed, and then running out to fire on supplicants.

Second run through I went from trying to call a number I didn't hear called to just going 2 or 3 each teleport
For some reason the second challenge run took way longer than the first time

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BlindSite posted:

usually, sometimes it freaks out and credits everyone with 1 kill even though the fireteam died to an oracle being alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

xzzy posted:

usually, sometimes it freaks out and credits everyone with 1 kill even though the fireteam died to an oracle being alive.

Also there's a delay between it deciding you're doomed and the wipe screen coming up, if you get a kill in that period it won't help but you get credited anyway.

• Locked thread