Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
By first sign of trouble you mean the worst toy sales in decades.

When toy sales are the only reason Sentai still continues.

Like that's going to be a consequence of being a toy commercial show that it became with OhRanger, toy sales do matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I understand toy sales being weak, but I feel like the answer to that issue shouldn't be to meddle in absolutely everything about the actual show while leaving the things that they're trying to sell relatively unchanged.

If you're gonna force a retool, retool the thing that's actually causing the trouble.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
To be fair poor toy sales are also the reason Ninninger's storyline didn't become the baseline, since it took the new bottom of 'absolute worst toy sales', which led to Zyuogher being so good.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Go-Busters also wasn't that radically different after the retooling either. It didn't feel like a completely different show at least, unlike say, Hibiki.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Or the Ur Example, OhRanger.

OhRanger was gutted by everything that happened.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I thought OhRanger sold some pretty drat good toy numbers. I've read that somewhere. The show was screwed up by tone apparently involving an attack on a train station? And depending on who you ask, at some point it turned into a beta test for Carranger.

My understanding though was OhRanger did good enough on toys, but Japan went into one of those melancholy moments like the US did in the months after 9/11 where all we could listen to was Enya and the sappiest U2 album ever made.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ohranger's scripts were constantly revised from events such as the Tokyo subway sarin gas attack and the Kobe earthquake, with the characters shifting from serious to lighter personalities. Though this led to low ratings, the toy sales from Ohranger were very high. Possibly, all the bad stuff that happened during Ohranger's run prompted them to make the more lighthearted Carranger, much like the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami in 2011 dictated the tone of Kamen Rider Fourze.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

I thought OhRanger sold some pretty drat good toy numbers. I've read that somewhere. The show was screwed up by tone apparently involving an attack on a train station? And depending on who you ask, at some point it turned into a beta test for Carranger.

My understanding though was OhRanger did good enough on toys, but Japan went into one of those melancholy moments like the US did in the months after 9/11 where all we could listen to was Enya and the sappiest U2 album ever made.

No, no, that's not what I mean.

What I mean is that OhRanger's ratings plummeted to an all time low thanks to the Gas Attacks, so Toei had to make a deal with Bandai to keep the show afloat. Bandai took over more of the costs running the show in return for more toys than ever.

The same thing happened with Hibiki. And like with Hibiki, it took a few seasons for Bandai's influence to REALLY hit hard.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, the whole thing about Ohranger almost killing Sentai while Carranger revitalized it isn't quite accurate (Carranger's toy sales were only slightly higher than it's predecessor's if I remember right). If you want a show that really did almost wind up killing Sentai try Fiveman (or going back further, JAKQ literally did end the franchise for a bit until Toei struck a deal with Marvel a few years later, in fact we actually have the Japanese Spider-Man show to thank for why Super Sentai as we know it today even exists at all).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 9, 2017

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Wasn't Go-Busters supposed to be a gimme season for Saban to sell a lot of toys and they chose to totally skip that season

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

Wasn't Go-Busters supposed to be a gimme season for Saban to sell a lot of toys and they chose to totally skip that season

Not really, it sold terribly in Japan plus there isn't a whole lot of usable footage that doesn't feature an unmasked human actor at some point. I like Go-Busters personally but in the end it was probably for the best it got skipped.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Larryb posted:

Yeah, the whole thing about Ohranger almost killing Sentai while Carranger revitalized it isn't quite accurate (Carranger's toy sales were only slightly higher than it's predecessor's if I remember right). If you want a show that really did almost wind up killing Sentai try Fiveman (or going back further, JAKQ literally did end the franchise for a bit until Toei struck a deal with Marvel a few years later, in fact we actually have the Japanese Spider-Man show to thank for why Super Sentai as we know it today even exists at all).

Is there more to that story? It seems Battle Fever J started airing just over 13 months after JAKQ ended, and they just took that year off to work on Spider-Man. It's awesome that Spider-Man brought the mecha into the mix either way. I'd figure they'd probably make more at some point even if the Marvel deal hadn't happened, since there were a bunch of toku shows on in the 80s.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

Is there more to that story? It seems Battle Fever J started airing just over 13 months after JAKQ ended, and they just took that year off to work on Spider-Man. It's awesome that Spider-Man brought the mecha into the mix either way. I'd figure they'd probably make more at some point even if the Marvel deal hadn't happened, since there were a bunch of toku shows on in the 80s.

Admittedly I forgot how long the gap was between shows so nevermind the few years thing but JAKQ did end up being cancelled after attempting a Hibiki-esque retool of the series (which is why Big One exists at all for example). I'm not sure if they would have eventually gone back to the Sentai idea even without the Marvel deal but at the time it was pretty much dead in the water.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 9, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It does seem unpredictable, like how Ultraman went away for a long time until Tiga, and Kamen Rider missed the 90s on TV. They should make a new Metal Hero series by the way.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Larryb posted:

Not really, it sold terribly in Japan plus there isn't a whole lot of usable footage that doesn't feature an unmasked human actor at some point. I like Go-Busters personally but in the end it was probably for the best it got skipped.

There also just didn't seem to be as many toys to sell. I mean, you had the Zords, the morphers, and really not much else.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

It does seem unpredictable, like how Ultraman went away for a long time until Tiga, and Kamen Rider missed the 90s on TV. They should make a new Metal Hero series by the way.

Speaking of which, why did Toei end up canceling the Metal Hero series anyway?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

There also just didn't seem to be as many toys to sell. I mean, you had the Zords, the morphers, and really not much else.

It had everything every other Sentai had except no collectables like the Ranger Keys and only one extra Zord. Those things tend to drive up toy sales though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

It had everything every other Sentai had except no collectables like the Ranger Keys and only one extra Zord. Those things tend to drive up toy sales though.

Yeah, it was mostly the no collectables, which has kinda become the big thing for both Rider and Sentai.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I wish there was less of those. Of course, I remember the days of MMPR as a dad, when toys included things like "gloves that make those airwhoosh sounds when you move them" and a whole bunch of licensed other stuff. Much of those things were at least a little creative compared to what I see now. And there's a few less occasions of "let's totally break apart the robot and kick someone's mech out to make a space for this week's new accessory mech".

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo the new Amazon episode starts strong.

Holy poo poo it starts real strong.

Super curious what Jin and Haruko have been up to, but the new guys are pretty drat great.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Scans show 9ranger are about to become 12ranger.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Look at this really nice Gashat list. It's pretty nice and complete.

Also about Ex-Aid, this theory sounds pretty believable to me. Spoilers, obviously.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Scans show 9ranger are about to become 12ranger.

With that, the Kyurangers are officially the biggest Sentai ever, surpassing previous holder Kyoryuger (11, if counting only Kyoryu Navy for the 00 position).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

My only real complaint about Amazons is that this ending song is nowhere near as good as the first season's.

When Kurosaki asked Fukuda if he worked with an Amazon, Fukuda really should have said he worked with two of them, but I assume he's talking specifically about Haruka in that scene.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve by Pies posted:

My only real complaint about Amazons is that this ending song is nowhere near as good as the first season's.

When Kurosaki asked Fukuda if he worked with an Amazon, Fukuda really should have said he worked with two of them, but I assume he's talking specifically about Haruka in that scene.

I am honestly unsure

He might have been talking about Moleman, since Moleman was the one they worked with forever.

And yeah the ending theme just cannot compare. But I cannot wait to see what Haruka and Jin have been up to. Kinda curious if Haruka had to kill his little community after five years.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

BELIEVE IN AMAZON

Can't wait to watch this when I get home, I didn't even realize it'd started. Also, GoRider episode 2. Toku hype.

Also, if anyone was curious about the Amazons cameo in Super Duper Hero Taisen, don't expect much: Ex-Aid gets set up to fight against Alpha, Omega, and Neos in the game world but they don't say anything but "What are you doing?" like once or do anything Amazonsy the entire time. Ex-Aid just gets his rear end kicked by them repeatedly until he decides to start punching through walls until he finds a power-up that swaps his HP (by then at one bar left) with theirs (full) and then he one shots all three. Which was kind of funny, but still enormously disappointing.

Also, on a slightly less spoilery note, at one point ZyuohTiger/Amu fights Kamen Rider Stronger in the game world and oh dear his suit is looking rough. The rubber is all spider-webbed and looks like it'll fall apart any day now. Poor Stronger and his giant floaty. Speaking of which, the big black piece on Pegasus Armor in Kyuranger was looking a little bent by the end of its own introduction episode. I wonder if that's why it hasn't reappeared yet.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah that sounds exactly like what they'd do to them in an Ex-Aid movie.

Or really any crossover movie.

Never mind the fact that Jin murdered Neos' Amazon family

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Burkion posted:

Yeah that sounds exactly like what they'd do to them in an Ex-Aid movie.

Or really any crossover movie.

Never mind the fact that Jin murdered Neos' Amazon family

Yikes. Welp, maybe the writer of the movie wasn't told anything about their characters. More spoilers- This all happens inside of a video game world created by a kid, so you could write it off as them just being game obstacles and not their real selves.

Except that is entirely negated by characters like Momotaros, KyoryuGold, BeetBuster, ect who all show up within the game world and retain their in-series personalities, so, no, it's just really dumb. Whether or not the game world character will act like their real self or just a mindless suit programmed to fight aimlessly until defeated is just up to chance. It really could have been an interesting movie but they keep wasting the potential these big crossovers have by focusing on stories about random new kids and cameos rather than the huge pool of interesting characters they already have to draw from.

That said, while the Kyurangers are wasted and have almost no screen time in the movie, Naga gets the most of it and even a bit of story relevance, and he is always wonderful to watch.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Like here's the secret dumbest thing about that

Jin wouldn't be fighting Ex-Aid no matter what.

Jin only fights Amazons. Ex-Aid is not an Amazon, and he would drat well know that. So yeah it's just shite all the way around for that

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The kid only saw the suits but couldn't watch the show because it was too violent :v:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Burkion posted:

I am honestly unsure

He might have been talking about Moleman, since Moleman was the one they worked with forever.

I assume it's Haruka based on two things. One, Kurosaki mentioned him working with the Amazon during Tlaloc specifically. I'm not 100% sure but I think by the time Tlaloc happened, Mamoru had already run off from the team, in which case Haruka would be the only Amazon they were working with at the time. Two, Fukuda said they misunderstood him. This seems to me to fit a bit better with Haruka, in that they thought he was going to help them defeat the Amazons, only to turn around and join a colony of them. On the other hand, they understood Mamoru pretty well. Him eating Misaki's arm wasn't due to a misunderstanding of who Mamoru was, it was just an unfortunate effect of him having eaten the human meat a bit before that. Even after that, Mamoru was pretty upset with what he'd done and didn't want to hurt the other team members.

That's how I see it anyway. I suppose you could make the case that Mamoru was the one they misunderstood, but I feel it fits better with Haruka.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I streamed ooo den-o all riders for some friends without having seen it before and now we are all angry

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blockhouse posted:

I streamed ooo den-o all riders for some friends without having seen it before and now we are all angry

I am sorry for your loss and you have my condolences for the friendships ended

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Was it a bad movie? I remember enjoying it okay at the time, but to be fair that was a long time ago and back when I first got into Toku so I do not remember all that much of it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Was it a bad movie? I remember enjoying it okay at the time, but to be fair that was a long time ago and back when I first got into Toku so I do not remember all that much of it.

it's fine until the third act where it becomes absolute total nonsense

rider 1 and 2 were just pretending to be evil for forty years! for some reason! and all the other kamen riders still exist too! somehow! and they just did nothing for forty years! because gently caress you!

it's like they only remembered to write an hour of a movie

they even had a perfect plot device already in the film! Eiji still has his memory of the original timeline because he was hanging out with Kotaro, so since the double riders also had contact with Kotaro make it so they had their memory back too! Instead you make them responsible by proxy for the deaths of the literal actual genocide Shocker was engaging in.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 11, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Blockhouse posted:

it's fine until the third act where it becomes absolute total nonsense

rider 1 and 2 were just pretending to be evil for forty years! for some reason! and all the other kamen riders still exist too! somehow! and they just did nothing for forty years! because gently caress you!

it's like they only remembered to write an hour of a movie

they even had a perfect plot device already in the film! Eiji still has his memory of the original timeline because he was hanging out with Kotaro, so since the double riders also had contact with Kotaro make it so they had their memory back too! Instead you make them responsible by proxy for the deaths of the literal actual genocide Shocker was engaging in.

If I remember properly at least with the Riders besides 1, 2, and OOO it wasn't that they were in hiding, they literally didn't exist until all the memory and time shenanigans brought them back into existence(and I'm thinking that's supposed to be the case with 1 and 2 not being evil anymore as well and they just didn't make it come across very well), basically an indirect continuation of the idea that Memories equal Existence that both Den-O and Decade had used before

Also Bazooka Turtle is best Shocker monster

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Which would have been fine...if anyone was able to remember them to begin with. The only people with memory of an old timeline were Kotaro and Eiji and did they know anything about like a tenth of those guys?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, realistically in that timeline nobody should remember any Kamen Riders besides the first two because, well, they never actually existed (plus the whole memories = existence thing is kind of a stretch even by Den-O standards), not to mention the weird subplot of that one kid becoming his own best friend's dad. That movie was kind of a mess all the way around (though it was nice to have a crossover where the Den-O cast didn't wind up taking over the majority of the film for once, I'll give it that).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 11, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yo, Kyuranger continues being cool af.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I want a crossover between our furry commanders/Rangers.

Dekaranger x Kyoryuger x Kyuranger but with only them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The latest episode of Kyuranger was amazing, and I love everything about Draco Commander.

• Locked thread