Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ikasuhito posted:

With China turning into a failed state how's Best Korea doing?

If you think poo poo is nuts in China... Whenever they need something they test a new missile, rattle the donation cup, and scream like that crazy man on the subway, "We need more cheese and Xbox's!"

Scenario Update

Found a good way to let people select their own loadouts and not wait for hours while everything reloads. Aka, I'm learning more CMANO Lua commands. Once we get into the intermission I'll work on getting the scenarios out. It'll be cooler now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Bacarruda posted:

Can't the Mjolner Mk 2's kill runways? The Greek F-4E loadout in-game has them using the Mjolner's as anti-runway weapons.

I just did some tests with the Greek F-4Es.

I hit one runway with 4 Mjolner's (two airframes worth) and only damaged it about 40%.

The GBU-12s are only 500lb bombs. The GBU-10s are the 2000lb variety, but they don't do any more damage than the Mjolner's.

There is an F-4E loadout with 2 GBU-24s. They are 2000lb Penetrator types, and two of them will heavily damage a runway (but probably not completely destroy it). I don't know if those are an option for us.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Are runways a single entity or several spaced along an area?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
They are a single entity in command, and this airfield has two of them.

Another option is to take out the runway access points as they are less hardened, but there are like ten of them since this is a big airport. And our goal is to give the J-20s nowhere to land.

If we can hit each runway with 2 GBU-24s, I think that's enough, but that doesn't leave any room for duds or other malfunctions.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

pthighs posted:

I just did some tests with the Greek F-4Es.

I hit one runway with 4 Mjolner's (two airframes worth) and only damaged it about 40%.

The GBU-12s are only 500lb bombs. The GBU-10s are the 2000lb variety, but they don't do any more damage than the Mjolner's.

There is an F-4E loadout with 2 GBU-24s. They are 2000lb Penetrator types, and two of them will heavily damage a runway (but probably not completely destroy it). I don't know if those are an option for us.

If it's in the loadout we have access to it. Except for ridiculous crazy items like a nuclear target drone or something.

More details are coming in. We've got access to what's considered one of the scariest airfields in the world.

Yongphulla Airport

It was originally made by the Indian Air Force but no one has used it in a heavy capacity in quite some time. It should handle our attack planes but it's a rickety poo poo hole of an airfield.

http://ourairports.com/airports/VQ10/

Google Maps View

Be sure to watch the video of the plane coming in. Our pilots are gonna be crapping their pants.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

loving lame :(

Also, from other scenarios I've played, runways are a right pain in the butt to cripple (you need big high-penetration bombs--rockets won't do it, cluster bombs might have trouble), but if you can cripple them the whole airfield is dead weight. Be advised, however, that there may be something labelled a "Runway Grade Taxiway" at this airport--if it's there, it needs to go too.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Aren't runways really easy to repair unless you use that crazy poo poo that makes subsurface craters and then scatters mines around them? Maybe we can stick to other targets.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
I wouldn't bother with the runway. In C:MANO it can take a hall of a beatinging. We should definitly be focussing on airplanes, fuel bunkers and what not.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
I thought the objective was specifically to force the J-20s to divert to a potentially out-of-range airport? If the runways are still active they can still land there, even if we blow up the fuel and ammo facilities.

Yooper, can we get a mission clarification fro General Krishna?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Also a good yellow curry recipe if he has one.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Davin Valkri posted:

I thought the objective was specifically to force the J-20s to divert to a potentially out-of-range airport? If the runways are still active they can still land there, even if we blow up the fuel and ammo facilities.

Yooper, can we get a mission clarification fro General Krishna?

The more we gently caress up the air base the better. The runway is going to be the toughest part, but there will absolutely be other poo poo to shoot.

This is what our latest intel shows for facilities at the airport. This doesn't include radar or Sam defenses. We're expecting that from the Indians soon.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Yooper posted:

Be sure to watch the video of the plane coming in. Our pilots are gonna be crapping their pants.

That just means that we're dumping unnecessary weight! This will clearly improve our range.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I just thought of a fun use for any ageing hardware we might acquire: false flag operations!

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
To be honest, I'm not even sure we have the firepower to take the airbase out of commission. I'll run some tests to see how much damage our Su-25's anti-runway bombs can do, but we might just not have enough of them to knock both runways out for long. We might need to hit everything but the runway instead.

xthetenth posted:

Also I'd love if someone could tell us what the actual loadouts planes have so we aren't hi-fiving our faces when we realize just how bad something actually is.

Baloogan's database website has the actual loadouts: https://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/DataAircraft?DB=DB3000

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The real point of this is to make it so the J-20's (and all Chinese aircover in the region, really) have nowhere to operate out of. If we destroy all the fuel, hangars, and support facilities it doesn't matter if the runways are pristine the base is still useless. So what if the J-20's can land there? There's no gas left to refill them with and the Volunteers will be overrunning the place before it can get operational again.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

The real point of this is to make it so the J-20's (and all Chinese aircover in the region, really) have nowhere to operate out of. If we destroy all the fuel, hangars, and support facilities it doesn't matter if the runways are pristine the base is still useless. So what if the J-20's can land there? There's no gas left to refill them with and the Volunteers will be overrunning the place before it can get operational again.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

Good. Because we'd need a full squadron of Frogfoots or Phantoms for each runway. (This is also an advantage of having a GM run things. I don't think CMANO models airfields being out of commission due to destroying support infrastructure.)

Yooper, are you going to release a planning scenario with enemy planes and all mission events and scripting deleted out?

Also, what is the expected weather? We've had crystal blue skies for the last two ops, is that expected to continue?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

pthighs posted:

Guess who's still salty about our gelded phantoms?

Me!

I'm poo poo at art, but have this:

Left: We could've had baller as gently caress grim reaper phantoms like this. Right: This is what we got.

(Jokes aside the frogfeet should be solid for laying total waste to the support infrastructure.)

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 9, 2017

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Yooper for Bacarruda's plan and keeping the strike force together for refueling the best way to go about that is to make a patrol by the refueling and have all planes in the strike forced assigned to that mission for refueling and then switch their mission when refueling is done (sadly this is some manual control)

Maslovo
Oct 12, 2016

Yooper posted:

If you think poo poo is nuts in China... Whenever they need something they test a new missile, rattle the donation cup, and scream like that crazy man on the subway, "We need more cheese and Xbox's!"

So same as always? :v:

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
So I'm looking at the latest description of the airport:

We can classify the priorities as:
High Priority:
Ammo shelter.
Underground fuel tank.
Tank farm.
Airport Terminal (?)

Without these, the airfield cannot sustain military operations. The ammo shelter and underground fuel tank are hardened targets, so we need the 2000 lb bombs from the Phantoms or the Kh-29L from the Su-25s. The tank farm can probably be taken out by a regular 500 lb Paveway. Some planes will still be able to take off and run a mission, because not every bomb and missile will be in the ammo bunker, and some fuel will be left over in tanker trucks, but the Chinese would only be able to put up a handful of planes once.

If the airport terminal buildings represent workshops and administrative infrastructure, then they'll be important to hit to degrade the airfield operations.

Medium Priority:
Aircraft Hangars
Tarmac Spaces
Runway access points with planes on it
Runways with planes on it
Runway-grade taxiways with planes on it

The hangars don't look like they're hardened shelters, so we can strike those and the tarmac to take planes out while they're on the ground.

Low Priority
Airport Control Tower

You can set up a few guys on a hill with a portable radio as emergency air traffic control if the actual tower is gone.

Zero Priority
Empty runway access points
Empty runways
Emptry runway-grade taxiways

These are an all-or-nothing target. If we had sufficient anti-runway munitions to take these out, we could completely shut down the airport. But since we don't have a squadron of Frogfoots for one and a squadron of Phantoms for the other, it's useless to even bother.

This is an example of an airfield in operation (Ours!). The yellow triangle shows us that we know of planes on two of the runway access points and on the open tarmac parking. If we get sufficient recon on an enemy airfield we can see which planes are on which part of the airfield. (The Mk. 1 eyeball is a valid sensor!). So it's definitely possible to target specific taxiways or tarmac spots and damage the planes on it with a gun-run. It just takes a very quick-witted pilot (aka a micromanaging CMANO player!) to target these facilities in time.

Psawhn fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 10, 2017

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Perfect job for HUMINT tbh. Note and convey which are occupied and convey that information to us.

They are outside our UAV range right? Can we launch those from forward positions or are they runway only.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Yooper, would you ever consider releasing the CMANO scenarios?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

sum posted:

Between theaters he's gonna clean up and give us all the scenarios for the missions we ran.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Psawhn posted:

(This is also an advantage of having a GM run things. I don't think CMANO models airfields being out of commission due to destroying support infrastructure.)

Oh, yeah, this is why I wanted to hit the runways. I thought we were going by the CMANO method of deciding whether an airbase was operational or not--blow up the aircraft, the aircraft shelters, the runway access, or the runway. If we can "shut down" the airbase by hitting fuel and ammo (and maybe the control tower--that would be where base command is, right?), that's good too. And we can even use our SK60s for something like the aboveground fuel farm, if need be.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

sum posted:

I am going to post the Planning Scenario later this evening. The completed scenarios will come out at the end of the theater of operations, once I have some time to polish them up.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
I didn't see Callsign Nurse on the roster, Yooper. :(

Anyway. I'm not the most knowledgeable about air warfare and support, but wouldn't having multiple different planes by different producers become hell for our support staff? If that's not an issue, I would want us to get the maximum amount of F16 C bombtrucks multirole fighters possible and I want to fly one.

This is really cool, by the way. Any way you could elaborate on the current state of the world? What's the state of Northern Europe re: the Russian bear?

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Yooper would you mind putting the current pilot / reserve roster in the OP? as well as the amount of AA/AG kills each pilot has?

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Yooper posted:

I am going to post the Planning Scenario later this evening. The completed scenarios will come out at the end of the theater of operations, once I have some time to polish them up.

Sweet! It's very useful to check actual ranges, etc, in the "simulator."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

Anyway. I'm not the most knowledgeable about air warfare and support, but wouldn't having multiple different planes by different producers become hell for our support staff? If that's not an issue, I would want us to get the maximum amount of F16 C bombtrucks multirole fighters possible and I want to fly one.

I think Yooper isn't playing the full-on logistics game anymore so our main concern regarding a wide range of planes is that old Soviet poo poo is going to have to use expensive old Soviet munitions, unless we get hit by limitations on a case-by-case narrative basis.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
If I was better with math and maps I would love to do a mini version of the Ploesti raid, with flights of 2-3 bombers coming in from different directions within a minute of each other.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think Yooper isn't playing the full-on logistics game anymore so our main concern regarding a wide range of planes is that old Soviet poo poo is going to have to use expensive old Soviet munitions, unless we get hit by limitations on a case-by-case narrative basis.

Okay, but then we should get old NATO or EU or other poo poo as well.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Anyway. I'm not the most knowledgeable about air warfare and support, but wouldn't having multiple different planes by different producers become hell for our support staff?

Yes, but I don't think Yooper is planning on enforcing that. Or, well, I assume not, given that we're already not paying FMS cost for the aircraft we buy and we don't have to play Munitions Acquisitions and Purchasing Simulator any more.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I didn't see Callsign Nurse on the roster, Yooper. :(

This is really cool, by the way. Any way you could elaborate on the current state of the world? What's the state of Northern Europe re: the Russian bear?

Sorry! It's on there now. Our reserve pilot list is looking quite healthy.

This is the state of the Northern Europe Zone :

quote:

Eastern Europe is simply the unstable zone. Russia, unable to conquer it all militarily, has instead sought to destabilize the zone economicaly, militarily, and culturally. Romania skirmishes with Bulgaria. Ukraine and Poland went at it. The Balkan states are just a huge basket of gently caress no. Estonia leads up the anti-Russian league but lacks anyone with any muscle to back it up. For now Russia is satisfied to just create the chaos.

Norway/Sweden/Finland is still NATO in name but not willing to jump into the fire. Yet.

Tythas posted:

Yooper would you mind putting the current pilot / reserve roster in the OP? as well as the amount of AA/AG kills each pilot has?

If I've missed any names please let me know. I haven't updated my AA/AG kills as the end of scenario synopsis only breaks down expenditures and not who killed what. So I have to go through, note each kill, and sometimes when we have multiple missiles in the air I don't know who fired what. I tried this in the 2nd mission and gave up as sometimes we had like 4 missiles in the air at once.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Correct. The worst we'll deal with is old ammo that is expensive. Otherwise anything the planes can use I'll assume we can buy. We still have an hourly cost of operations and I'll probably assess an overall Operations Expense once we're all done.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Lhasa

The goal of this mission is to disable the Lhasa Gonggar International Airport long enough for our Indian "Volunteers" to sweep into the area and take it from the ground. Complicating things is a wing of J-16's and the J-20. We'll likely run into the J-16's over Lhasa. The J-20's are another story.

The Bait

In a nutshell the Indians can't strike Lhasa themselves. That's an unacceptable escalation. Instead they're going to help us do our job so they don't have a fleet of these things on their doorstep. The Indian Air Force is launching from Bagdogra Airport and heading due North to the Tibetan border. They've also amassed a line of creaky Soviet ELINT listening posts.

Interestingly enough the FLIR pods on those Rafales seem to be the best way to find those stealth aircraft. They depart at 0600 and head North. China has good radar coverage and this is going to look like one hell of a raid. They're guaranteed a response. For China this will cement their ability to control the skies anywhere the J-20 can reach. If we succeed it'll cement India's reputation for being clever.

Wing Commander Rohan will be leading the Rafales, this is Tiger Wing. Behind them is a wing of SU-30's, Monkey Wing, followed by two US Surplus EA-6B Prowlers. Make no mistake, this entire flight is likely to die and not kill a single J-20.

The Hook

We have two air bases to use. One is our current base at North Lakhimpur. The other is a rickety rear end air field, Yonphula Airport. It's a mountaintop air strip with the bare necessities. Luckily the Indians have kept it in good repair.

Our attack craft can base there but we don't have the facilities to stick everyone here. So our Gripens will remain at HQ Base.

The attack can begin immediately after the Indians engage the J-20's. Prior to the attack we'll have SAM position info along with any radar sites. Luckily it's not cutting edge SAM's, but it'll still be tough. Our Mercs on the Ground might have a surprise for us too.

If we can get in before the Chinese have time to scramble a full flight of J-16's then this will be much easier. But Lhasa is a tough airfield. Light on structure and heavy on concrete. We'll have to make every shot count.

There it is Hired Goons. Let's see your proposals, then we'll move ahead with the mission.

Oh, the payout, $150,000,000 + Destruction Bonus.

Per request below is a link to the planning scenario.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y6fax2mojlt4c3g/Lhasa%20Strike%20for%20Planning.scen?dl=0

Oh, I'll be using an overlay too so we can actually watch the munitions land where poo poo is.

Cool eh?

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Cool. Considering the year, there should be fuckloads and shittons of by-now phased out F-16s rusting in every corner of the globe, so maybe we should get on that?

E: look at my loving timing.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Do we know how many of our Phantoms are actually operational? Or will we find out when we go to launch and the engine falls out?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

power crystals posted:

Do we know how many of our Phantoms are actually operational? Or will we find out when we go to launch and the engine falls out?

They're good to go.

In the future all questionable aircraft will be resolved prior to mission (like the Museum Buy would've been) and we'll assume they're good from then on. (Unless some wild event happens like a Juggalo driving into it with a forklift.)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

150 million dollary doos? That's a spicy meat-a-ball.

Wonder how many F-16s that would buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Zaodai posted:

150 million dollary doos? That's a spicy meat-a-ball.

Wonder how many F-16s that would buy.

From the first page, four and a half.

Also, anybody know how good the J-20 handles being out of doors? Because I strongly doubt we'll be able to sanitize all of the parking spaces.

EDIT: checking the database, each bit of Tarmac has 300 Damage Points. That's 2 and a half Paveways apiece.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 10, 2017