Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Chill la Chill posted:

Also, yo, btw guys, vote for the fan favorite model. Not saying you should vote for anyone in particular but there's only like 30 votes on that sheet :3:

Post a link I could not find the voting section

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Chill la Chill posted:

So in short, Aaron Utley always did the online tournament coverage for the nova area. He enjoyed it more than playing and in 2014 started asking around if anyone was interested in a small, private x-wing tournament and created the Stele Open. The history is here: http://www.steleopen.com/about/ . But, in short, it's a laid back event and I'm surprised at how much international recognition it's gotten. People were flying in from all over. He's always taken care of the players and you get your money's worth in promos and food. Aaron does not joke about the tacos. There really was a taco bar and a food truck, all covered by the entry fee. I think it was chipotle last year but this was the huge jump and might get bigger from here. There's a bunch of downtime in between rounds but I think a lot of that was the giveaways and the more laid-back nature of the thing. I actually liked it since I could go and look at the models on display, chat with the artists on hand, and check out what the nearby LGS brought over.

Craig deserved to win the mustache contest and he promised a video of him shaving it off with the prizes in view.

Also, yo, btw guys, vote for the fan favorite model. Not saying you should vote for anyone in particular but there's only like 30 votes on that sheet :3:

Thanks for the link and description! I'm down in Richmond​ and had no idea this was even a thing, so I know what I'm doing this time next year.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
This just won the Stele Open

Norra Wexley — ARC-170 29
Push the Limit 3
Kyle Katarn 3
BB-8 2
Alliance Overhaul 0
Ship Total: 37

Shara Bey — ARC-170 28
Adaptability 0
Jan Ors 2
R2-D2 4
Alliance Overhaul 0
Ship Total: 34

Jess Pava — T-70 X-Wing 25
R3-A2 2
Primed Thrusters 1
Integrated Astromech 0
Ship Total: 28

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That looks like a pain in the butt.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
That 5 action Nora is kind of insane. I think I would like to have Biggs more than Jess since your are flying 2, 1 Agility ships. Though Jess is gooing to be rolling some very accurate red dice.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Raged posted:

That 5 action Nora is kind of insane. I think I would like to have Biggs more than Jess since your are flying 2, 1 Agility ships. Though Jess is gooing to be rolling some very accurate red dice.

Also love how people in the US are complaining about a shortage of K-Wings since Heaver's list won two opens.

arrgh edit don't quote stupid

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
K-Wings have been in short supply because they're the only ship with TLT included, and no other reason. I think the TIE Agressor is being added partially to ease up the pressure on K-Wing sales.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

K-Wings have been in short supply because they're the only ship with TLT included, and no other reason. I think the TIE Agressor is being added partially to ease up the pressure on K-Wing sales.

The K-Wing, in general, is probably the second strongest ship in the game right now behind the jumpmaster. Bomber Wardens and at least three Miranda loadouts are top-tier competitive.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Norra's only four actions and they're Barrel Roll, Focus, Focus and TL.

Though I suppose Jan lets you replace one or more Focus tokens with Evades, which is pretty good.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Copied a minimalist paint job from the internet to embellish my Decimator because I'm an unoriginal hack.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I want a red Decimator that matches the Veterans Defender and the Aces Interceptor.

Do you guys prime the models or stripe their paint or anything? Or just paint directly onto the factory job? I still have a decent paint collection from my Warham days and I kinda want to try painting some TIEs.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Thanks for the link and description! I'm down in Richmond​ and had no idea this was even a thing, so I know what I'm doing this time next year.

Where do you play in Richmond? I'm in Fredericksburg and run the events at the Sourcery.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

I want a red Decimator that matches the Veterans Defender and the Aces Interceptor.

Do you guys prime the models or stripe their paint or anything? Or just paint directly onto the factory job? I still have a decent paint collection from my Warham days and I kinda want to try painting some TIEs.

The few I've done, I just painted over. I imagine if your primer is thin enough, you won't lose much detail. I *think* I've read that people have tried to strip them and can't; the model either ends up melting or the paint just doesn't come off.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

Where do you play in Richmond? I'm in Fredericksburg and run the events at the Sourcery.

I tend to play in/run the tournaments at the store in which I work, One Eyed Jacques. I sometimes go to Battlegrounds in Midlothian for their Tuesday night X-Wing. I haven't been to any stores up in Fredericksburg, but I know some of the regulars here went up there for a (lock-in?) release event for the U-Wing and TIE Striker. Was that your store?

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

I tend to play in/run the tournaments at the store in which I work, One Eyed Jacques. I sometimes go to Battlegrounds in Midlothian for their Tuesday night X-Wing. I haven't been to any stores up in Fredericksburg, but I know some of the regulars here went up there for a (lock-in?) release event for the U-Wing and TIE Striker. Was that your store?

Not a lock-in, but yeah, we run a release event for every release. Two of my friends live in Richmond and are regulars at OEJ who come up when I run tournaments. I've been to a couple OEJ tournaments, but I missed the last one or two.

VikingPenguin
Nov 6, 2005
Why do I even post at the official forums? I put my strange Han Cluster Missile Zeb idea in the squad building forum and someone comes in, clearly doesn't read the whole post, calls me dumb, and thinks Leebo crew is where I went wrong? At least y'all will read it before calling me dumb.

The core is reroll Han with Intimidation, Zeb, Cluster Missiles, Smuggling Compartment, and Scavenger Crane. I put Chips and Leebo on him, for reposition and points. Fly for the bump, then his wingmen VI Ahsoka and adaptability Airen Cracken grant him the action to take a target lock, using his Missile (through Zeb) on the ship he is intimidating.

Possibly too many moving parts but with how well "100 point Corran" did at Hoth, and a fad of Cluster Missile Scavenger Crane Bossks, I think it has some potential.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I only prime when im doing annoying colors (white, orange, neon green) or when im doing light colors on a dark model. I've never stripped the factory paint beforehand.

VikingPenguin posted:

Why do I even post at the official forums? I put my strange Han Cluster Missile Zeb idea in the squad building forum and someone comes in, clearly doesn't read the whole post, calls me dumb, and thinks Leebo crew is where I went wrong? At least y'all will read it before calling me dumb.

The core is reroll Han with Intimidation, Zeb, Cluster Missiles, Smuggling Compartment, and Scavenger Crane. I put Chips and Leebo on him, for reposition and points. Fly for the bump, then his wingmen VI Ahsoka and adaptability Airen Cracken grant him the action to take a target lock, using his Missile (through Zeb) on the ship he is intimidating.

Possibly too many moving parts but with how well "100 point Corran" did at Hoth, and a fad of Cluster Missile Scavenger Crane Bossks, I think it has some potential.

"official forums" no matter what the subject is (movie, game, whatever)are always 100% garbage fires you should avoid like the plague.

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 10, 2017

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I considered doing the full Royal Guard look as well but after months of thinking about it I just opted for the more subtle look for the Deci with the touch of red in front of the command crew windows.

Regarding paint stripping, I don't think X-Wing minis really require it since the factory job usually give the surface of ships enough tooth for paint to stick to.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Pro tip: official forums is where I find all my terrible home brew for the thread.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah you definitely don't need to strip the models to get amazing results.

If you want some Royal Guard inspiration, this guy on the FFG forums has done some really cool stuff:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/190528-raider-repaint-little-red-raiding-hood/

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Proctor said this in our private page/chat:

quote:

So I should probably give the list an official name. Bad ideas currently consist of :

Norra the Explorra
She-Devils
ARCtastic
Straight outta Nowhere
R2's Pride

List was a progression over many Tuesday evenings, so name should be determined by [censored]

I'm leaning towards Norra the Explorra but of course, with the way X wing naming culture is, some guys on Reddit or the official forums have probably already called it ARCX or NorShaJess something equally bad.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Probably community vote, but I'm now hoping for some variation of momcorp/Mom's friendly robot company. :ohdear:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

flightless greeb posted:

Yeah you definitely don't need to strip the models to get amazing results.

If you want some Royal Guard inspiration, this guy on the FFG forums has done some really cool stuff:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/190528-raider-repaint-little-red-raiding-hood/

Why would anyone use that mat to show off their painting? The quality looks good but my eyes go wonky when I see that mat, just like when I'm ranting about needing my Mulan Szechuan sauce.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm leaning towards Norra the Explorra but of course, with the way X wing naming culture is, some guys on Reddit or the official forums have probably already called it ARCX or NorShaJess something equally bad.

I really like the list and I'm going to play around with it for a bit, but I would lean towards using Tanky Biggs. That way I could call it 2Girls1Cockpit

The original list could be called Femdom Firepower, Spice Girls, fARC'in Feminists. However Nora the explorer is probably the best

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Chill la Chill posted:

Probably community vote, but I'm now hoping for some variation of momcorp/Mom's friendly robot company. :ohdear:

Could go with something based of the movie title 3 Men and a Baby. 3 women and a ?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Chill la Chill posted:

Call the list Mary Sues or Feminist Propaganda or something that will make lovely MRA Star War nerds frown.

I personally use puns on 80's/90's songs and bands for all my lists now. My Norra/Miranda/Ahsoka list is Wilson Phillips. It's quite fun actually.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's too late. Brunas told me he and paul were already talking about it on the stream. :negative:

quote:

"yo, so we're coming up with names for Proctor's list in the private chat. Once we do come out with one, and you guys talk about the stele open in your next web show, would you mind giving a shoutout with the list name?"
"Me and Paul already named it. Rekt. ITS TOO LATE. WE HAVE THE HIGH GROUND."

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 10, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm murdering Brunas before he gets to name any more lists.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

Raged posted:

This just won the Stele Open

Norra Wexley — ARC-170 29
Push the Limit 3
Kyle Katarn 3
BB-8 2
Alliance Overhaul 0
Ship Total: 37

Shara Bey — ARC-170 28
Adaptability 0
Jan Ors 2
R2-D2 4
Alliance Overhaul 0
Ship Total: 34

Jess Pava — T-70 X-Wing 25
R3-A2 2
Primed Thrusters 1
Integrated Astromech 0
Ship Total: 28

I like this, I like this so much I am going to take the idea.

I don't own R3-A2. Would a good replacement be M9-G8? I can target Shara so she can get some rerolls.

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm murdering Brunas before he gets to name any more lists.

YES WE'RE THE BEST TAKE THAT

UNLIMITED POWER

etc

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

lazerus06 posted:

I like this, I like this so much I am going to take the idea.

I don't own R3-A2. Would a good replacement be M9-G8? I can target Shara so she can get some rerolls.

It's amazing, I'm playing it from now until forever. For nonpremier stuff m9g8 will be fine. You need R3A2 for mindlink, but against all other matchups m9g8 is probably better

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

I typically prime but only because the SA Oath Thread requires it.

It's not really necessary.

Do give them a good scrub with soap and water before painting though, as skin oils and general grub from long-term use can easily interfere with paint adhesion.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Raged posted:

I really like the list and I'm going to play around with it for a bit, but I would lean towards using Tanky Biggs. That way I could call it 2Girls1Cockpit

"MILFs like it Biggs"?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Is Han Solo crew horrible in practice? It seems like he would be decent on a 1-Agility ship (like an ARC-170) since a focus token is way less useful on defense. Having the option to use a target lock as either a focus token or target lock, depending on your roll, seems all right.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Is Han Solo crew horrible in practice? It seems like he would be decent on a 1-Agility ship (like an ARC-170) since a focus token is way less useful on defense. Having the option to use a target lock as either a focus token or target lock, depending on your roll, seems all right.

Han Solo crew has 1 use. That is on a Ghost with Hera crew and FCS. Utterly useless otherwise.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Tequila Ranger posted:

"MILFs like it Biggs"?

Norra and Shara with Biggs should be called "Baes of Biggs" :colbert:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Which Rebel ships have a System Upgrade slot? Because Han and Fire Control System sounds like a pretty potent combo to me.

VikingPenguin
Nov 6, 2005

IronSaber posted:

Which Rebel ships have a System Upgrade slot? Because Han and Fire Control System sounds like a pretty potent combo to me.

U-wing, B-wing, and VCX have crew and system, E-wing has system but no crew. VCX and U-wing can also take Hera crew.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

It's too late. Brunas told me he and paul were already talking about it on the stream. :negative:

I thought the stream named it BB ARCressive or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

IronSaber posted:

Not really. It only makes sense on the Ghost w/Hera because you can be eternally stressed and doing red turns and k-turns all day and still have a TL that you can use as a focus. In most other situations with ships that have FCS, you're much better off grabbing a focus and then you have TL/focus and you don't need Han Solo crew as much and can use something more interesting.

That's my $.02 anyway

• Locked thread