Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Who is the best character in all of breath of the wild?

Answer: every single lizal. NYEH NYAH NYEH, NRRRAH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I was able to try out an alpha of the next Zelda game in a dream. It's pretty cool. It has some cool minigames and the Carlov figurines are back but you can customize them.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
If you want a 5 star speed horse, go to the mounted archery range in Faron region. Stick to the roads and you will find it. There is an npc there that gives you a quest to find a giant horse. The giant horse is nearby in the taobab grasslands. Next to the giant horse is a pack of regular horses with great stats, both 5 star speed and 5 star stamina.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm finally playing Rise of the Tomb Raider after beating BOTW and Horizon Zero Dawn and good lord it feels so quaint.

Did BOTW kill my favorite genre? :ohdear:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Hah, waltzed into forgotten temple and proceeded to slaughter every single loving thing in there with powered up master sword

This might be the game telling to beat it already.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Radishes are awesome in this game.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
There are so many ways to get apples out of trees.

- hop and grab the apples mid-jump
- climb the tree
- chop down tree with axe
- bomb tree
- hit tree with hammer, apples fall out
- use korok leaves to blow the apples out of the trees
- shoot the apples out of the trees with arrows (the apple rolls away with the arrow stuck in it, which blows my mind)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
someone linked to this earlier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXMlXSDwzU8

my absolute favorite part, without a doubt, is at around 6:35, while casually gliding a mile above hyrule, you hear the sound of a loving Yiga guy spawning nearby in midair somewhere and presumably falling to their death

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
What does temperament stay on horses actually do? I have a gentle horse and then the wild zelda horse and they seem to handle kind of the same?

Although both still control like rear end anyways, I was doing the horse race jumping over the 10 obstacles and it was the most frustrating poo poo, half the time just before jumping a bar the horse would come to a dead stop and go neighhh.

Ended up beating it by doing the obstacle order backwards which was easier but really a god drat pain for any sort of precision

I think Witcher 3 has spoiled me on horse control, even then that wasn't flawless but it generally worked really really well

Xaris fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 9, 2017

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Captain Invictus posted:

my absolute favorite part, without a doubt, is at around 6:35, while casually gliding a mile above hyrule, you hear the sound of a loving Yiga guy spawning nearby in midair somewhere and presumably falling to their death

Don't you find Master Kogha absolutely dreamy?!?

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

he's got a dumb belly :colbert:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Xaris posted:

What does temperament stay on horses actually do? I have a gentle horse and then the wild zelda horse and they seem to handle kind of the same?

Although both still control like rear end anyways, I was doing the horse race jumping over the 10 obstacles and it was the most frustrating poo poo, half the time just before jumping a bar the horse would come to a dead stop and go neighhh.

Ended up beating it by doing the obstacle order backwards which was easier but really a god drat pain for any sort of precision

I think Witcher 3 has spoiled me on horse control, even then that wasn't flawless but it generally worked really really well

Gentle horses just rear up when you run out of spurs (and try it again). Wild horses buck you off.

I think that's the only mechanical difference. Gentle horses have worse stats (and probably gain bond quicker, but that's not really noticeable after 5 minutes).

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

Captain Invictus posted:

Who is the best character in all of breath of the wild?

Answer: every single lizal. NYEH NYAH NYEH, NRRRAH!

That's a weird way to spell "dog".

Today I learned that when it rains, you travel much further and faster while shield-surfing on grass because everything is wet and slippery. This fact somehow escaped me during my entire playthrough and the multiple post-game hours I've spent hunting down everything that breathes.

I can't believe I'm still learning stuff. This loving game, man.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Can one of the best stat horses be spotted? There's like 2/5/3 and 4/4/5 horses but do they have to be solid?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Anyone found a good path for shieldsurfing down Death Mountain?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Bum the Sad posted:

Can one of the best stat horses be spotted? There's like 2/5/3 and 4/4/5 horses but do they have to be solid?

The best stat horses will always be wild and only solid horses are wild.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Things that will never get old: jumping off a high ledge and putting five arrows in a Lizalfos's skull before you hit the ground.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

The Lobster posted:

I would be concerned if I had become a man when I killed my first Guardian.

There was a glitch with this at one point but I think the patch fixed it. If you're still having trouble with it you can reset it by holding down the girl gamer button for at least 12 seconds.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

DalaranJ posted:

There was a glitch with this at one point but I think the patch fixed it. If you're still having trouble with it you can reset it by holding down the girl gamer button for at least 12 seconds.

This is why Nintendo really needs to release patch notes.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
After finishing the 4 divine beasts, I finally made my way to the South-East/Lake Hylia area. God drat gorgeous as gently caress area, but it almost feels like there should have been a 5th Divine Beast over here or something since I haven't found really anything to do in Lurelin Village and feels kinda sparse.

Eventide was pretty cool though. I guess it's almost Castle time now.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Southeast and Northwest are probably the most likely locations for the DLC mystery dungeon.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If I had to guess I'd bet Mount Agat would be the entrance to a dungeon added in DLC. The fact that its clearly labeled on the map but inaccessible is bizarre.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Anyone found a good path for shieldsurfing down Death Mountain?

I don't think there's anyway to clear the ring surrounding Death Mountain's peak while shield surfing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I really hope it's a dungeon and not just "we forgot, there was a fifth divine beast. Go into your sheikah slate and move the horse's dick up and down to move around."

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Where the f can a dude find a voltfin trout

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Captain Invictus posted:

I get that sometimes on long glides from the towers, but I've never managed to spot where they spawn. They seem to be able to hover as well as teleport though, so the chances of hearing a delightful long falling scream are probably remote.

Internet Kraken posted:

If I had to guess I'd bet Mount Agat would be the entrance to a dungeon added in DLC. The fact that its clearly labeled on the map but inaccessible is bizarre.

You can see landscape over the canyon to the north too; could that become accessible later?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

You can see landscape over the canyon to the north too; could that become accessible later?

Probably not, Hyrule isn't island but I don't think we'll get to see the rest of the continent, that'd be a whole nother game

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Man, I stayed up till five in the morning last night to do it, but I finally put this game in the ground after 120 shrines, some 200 korok seeds, maximally upgraded armor and all the memories. So now you all have to read what I thought, in no particular order.

-First off, I really, really, really liked it. I haven't been this invested in a Zelda game since Majora's Mask. I liked Wind Waker, but it lacked that element of dangerous adventure that MM presented with such menacing consistency. With Breath of the Wild, I felt like a little kid lost in a mall, at first. You wake up alone, with nothing, only to be told that 100 years have passed since you and Zelda blew it, and now practically everyone you know is gone. The world is unfamiliar and hostile, dangers like being cold or getting caught out in water can be lethal, and you have no one to help you or comfort you and a huge, impossible task to do. As you go along in the game, not only do you win the friendship and support of people around Hyrule, you become steadily stronger, steadily better armored, so at the end, it really feels like you triumphed. I liked that about the game. There was a clear arc where I steadily became the master of all that I saw. Driving the final nail with the whole final boss fight really put a lovely feather in the game's hat. I don't give a gently caress if Ganon's final form was easy, it looked awesome and the set piece alone was enough to totally sell me.

- When I found the big horse, I named him Ganon. I felt like, if the big bad were watching, he might like to know that I was gonna ride him like a little pony when I finally got up there. :argh:

-Korok seeds were a great design idea. I never felt like there were long stretches of nothing, and even solving simple puzzles gave me a little buzz. As a consequence, once I'd learned to see them, it never felt really boring traveling anywhere because I was always picking up these little dudes and their... uh... poop. Tying it to inventory progression was a pretty solid idea, although I feel like they could have used more types of inventory space. Say you couldn't just have infinite arrows hanging around- a larger quiver would be a really nice prize. More weapon slots is really cool at first, but kinda peters out around the time you're shelling out 25 or so seeds for one space. Yaaay, one more royal halberd.

-I think the game could have benefited a little from a default, very weak weapon. As it is, if you grind yourself down to absolutely nothing, Link can't even punch- all you've got are some bombs and whatever the environment has for you. I think being given a default, crappy sword to swing around as a last resort would be nice. Maybe have an upgrade process that turns it into the White Sword like LoZ, or eventually have it replaced with the master sword. Do I still have to spoil that? Better safe than sorry.

-Shield surfing was fuckin' boss. More of that.

-I'm sticking to my earlier post in saying that the game needed more unique items, specifically more convenience items. The Hookshot as an unbreakable bow would work really nicely here, obviously, but a horse summoning charm, some way to see enemy health without equipping a tunic, speedy dashing and a lantern to carry fire would have been super cool here. Hell, why not have a mirror shield that regenerates over time? Sure you don't need it, but who cares? It's unique and cool, and you always have it. And hell, as long as we're wishing, stick 'em in huge Hyrule Castle style dungeons. Hell yeah. Replace that old dungeon item concept with cool convenience fixes. I guarantee people will still be excited to dive into a dungeon for something that makes your horse show up no matter where you left it.

-I sorta liked the holding system. It was doofy and not exactly a streamlined way to do things, but it felt natural. Watching yourself dump an armload of flowers and meat and junk into a pot is a pleasant way to connect players with the idea that they're out in the wilderness cooking stuff to survive. Rather than one icon merely changing into another, you know what I mean?

-I'm torn between liking shrines, and wishing they'd just slapped a few together and put a heart container at the end of it.

-Good minigame music. Hell, good music in general. Really good music. I'm looking at you, menacing cuban Hinox jazz.

-The final pieces of armor you get for finishing out all 120 shrines looks really goofy. I was kind of excited to look like Link after all that time, but whoever suggested short shorts can go right to hell. :mad:

-I'd have rather had a magic meter (yay more stuff to upgrade) than a timer on the runes. Maybe it regenerates? I don't know, I just think there's some interesting resource management choices to be made.

-I appreciated the Zelda in this game. It was nice to see her struggling with her destiny. Usually in these games Link does all the work, Zelda shows up and curtsies and locks Ganon right the gently caress back up. I appreciated getting the chance to see her expressing her personality while trying to get a grip on the enormity of the responsibility thrust upon her, and totally failing to get it under control in time. It made charging in to rescue her at the end feel more heroic, more necessary. She's been pinning Ganon down for the last 100 years, she's alone and afraid, and what's worse is that it's mostly her fault. You are the last card she has left to play and she drat near played it 100 years ago at Fort Hateno. So as you get more memories, you come to realize that you aren't just some destined savior who gets special birthday gifts and a cool triangle tattoo on his hand as the descendant. You're here because you're the best Hyrule has ever seen and your friend desperately needs you to step up to the plate before everything goes dark forever. Kinda gave Link a Roland of Gilead feel, joining the knights at a young age, taking the sword and all that. Good poo poo.

-I dunno how I did it, but I managed to find Thunderblight really easy, and Waterblight really hard. I... didn't think of using Cryonis.

-I kinda like the implications of a lot of the sidequests in the game. Tarry Town, especially, felt like you were taking the first steps towards rebuilding, even before Ganon is taken care of. Buying a house is kind of like Link being confident enough in himself to say 'I'll need this later' when he doesn't really even know if there will be a later after he goes marching into the castle. Building the town is like saying 'there will be a future, I'm going to make sure of it'. The music incorporating all of the different instruments used by the different races' themes was like a cherry on top of the cake. And a wedding! :3: Nothing feels better than a wedding when the whole world is under the gun.

FisheyStix fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 10, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just started playing this weekend

Not sure I like the weapon breaking mechanic but I guess it kind of makes sense.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
There's always more weapons.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wrong thread

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I finally found out how to shield surf. catch you nerds later.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

DalaranJ posted:

"girl gamer button"

:what:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

"girl gamer button"

:what:

I believe he is referring to a button that turns you into a girl that plays video games, sir

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cojawfee posted:

I really hope it's a dungeon and not just "we forgot, there was a fifth divine beast. Go into your sheikah slate and move the horse's dick up and down to move around."

Yeah, I want it to be something really bizarre and not just a repeat of poo poo we've already done. I hope it's not in Hyrule and on the outer areas we can't access.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

FisheyStix posted:

-I kinda like the implications of a lot of the sidequests in the game. Buying a house is kind of like Link being confident enough in himself to say 'I'll need this later' when he doesn't really even know if there will be a later after he goes marching into the castle.

I'm not sure if this makes it more or less :unsmith: (or :smith:), but it's heavily implied that the previous owner was YOU, from 100 years ago. At least that's what was thought earlier in the thread, and I agree.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Where the f can a dude find a voltfin trout

Ulria Grotto. East and a little north from Zora Domain, West of Knuckel island.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Over 140 hours into this game and I just now figured out you can search those broken wagons. :stare:

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Kazy posted:

Over 140 hours into this game and I just now figured out you can search those broken wagons. :stare:

what

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

They're like dead guardians, they usually have some random crap that you can "search" them for. Usually amber.

I put this game down for a couple weeks after getting all the shrines, then started a "hard mode" run just to gently caress around. My only complaint is that I can't upgrade the Shekiah Slate without talking to Impa, but I kind of want to see what happens if I show up to talk to her for the first time with all the machines recovered and the master sword already. It's like, there's exactly one slate in existence right now, who the gently caress do you think I am Purah

e: I would love a new game+ mode that literally just carries over korok seed/inventory upgrades and puts Grante in the Akkla lab

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, I want it to be something really bizarre and not just a repeat of poo poo we've already done. I hope it's not in Hyrule and on the outer areas we can't access.

Y'know what I'm hoping for? Exploring a place outside of Hyrule that has already been featured in a Zelda game, but after it has fallen into ruin like Hyrule has.

For example: Termina. It was shown off in a single game and never alluded to again in the series. I'd like to take a trip back there and see the sights in true HD. But just exploring Termina 10,000 years later would be boring. I want to explore Termina as it would be after the moon fell on it.

I want to navigate a huge-rear end crater in the middle of Termina Field and find fragments of Clock Town blown miles away from ground zero in the ruined mountains, swamp, ocean, and canyon. They could put the new dungeon inside of the shell of the moon, at the center of the crater. Furthermore, if they were so inclined, the devs could take this opportunity to do all sorts of poo poo with masks as equipment in the BoTW engine.

Or what about the Twilight Realm? We barely saw any of that place in Twilight Princess. I'd like to see what the devs would do to it in this engine. Wolf Link is already coded into the game, too, it'd be easy to implement him into the area.

Hell, throw in the Dark World while they're at it, and let us wander around a twisted version of the existing Hyrule map with a new dungeon in Not-Hyrule Castle.

But I doubt any of this will happen. At best they'll add Ordon as an explorable area to the west or north, across the vast canyon.