Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

On another note, does anyone use any of the green wasteland mods and recommend any?

I'm currently using Rust Belt Flora, and it's quite attractive. It's not verdantly green (though it's definitely way more green than vanilla), the author seems to still be going for the autumn look that the original game had, but unlike the original game there are trees, grasses, flowers, and... well, everything there should be. The author of this mod actually put in the kind of flora that are appropriate for that part of the world instead of just dotting scrub grasses and vines around everywhere.

The most popular one of this sort of mod is the Seasons Project. It's definitely more modular and ambitious than any other you will find out there, and it's a really cool idea- the only downside is that you have to swap the seasons manually outside of the game when you want them to change, and I'm lazy which is why I'm not using it.

Do be aware that every mod that will make the wasteland more green doesn't really play nice with Fallout 4's AI, and the more dense stuff is the more likely it is that you can be hidden completely behind a large screen of greenery which the AI will completely ignore, letting them shoot you with perfect accuracy while you can't see them back. Up to you whether that's more important than your immersion; but I suspect that it's one of the reasons the vegetation in the base game is so sparse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Here one I found that I super duper like: Settlement teleporters! http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23304/

Adds a lore friendly (reletively speaking) alternative to fast travel, not cheap and certainly not overpowered. It also gives adds a couple of defence options to take advantage of your position as the general of the minute men and/or head of the institute by via nifty turrets that can teleport in am amount of allies depending on how many teleporters you have built. The models for everything are pretty good too, with properly animated texture and moving parts.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

aniviron posted:

I'm currently using Rust Belt Flora, and it's quite attractive. It's not verdantly green (though it's definitely way more green than vanilla), the author seems to still be going for the autumn look that the original game had, but unlike the original game there are trees, grasses, flowers, and... well, everything there should be. The author of this mod actually put in the kind of flora that are appropriate for that part of the world instead of just dotting scrub grasses and vines around everywhere.

The most popular one of this sort of mod is the Seasons Project. It's definitely more modular and ambitious than any other you will find out there, and it's a really cool idea- the only downside is that you have to swap the seasons manually outside of the game when you want them to change, and I'm lazy which is why I'm not using it.

Do be aware that every mod that will make the wasteland more green doesn't really play nice with Fallout 4's AI, and the more dense stuff is the more likely it is that you can be hidden completely behind a large screen of greenery which the AI will completely ignore, letting them shoot you with perfect accuracy while you can't see them back. Up to you whether that's more important than your immersion; but I suspect that it's one of the reasons the vegetation in the base game is so sparse.

I'm also using Rust Belt Flora, but with some :science:

Also, after doing some testing, it seems like tree .nifs that are combined objects, instead of being separate branches and leaves, would be able to handle much, much higher levels of wind/tree animation. Right now the issue with applying the same wind effects to tree trunks as their branches is that they don't move as a single object.

I haven't found a way to get nifskope to treat both the shapes as a single object, so I'm guessing one would need to rig a skeleton for each tree, or export them as single meshes. I really have no clue how to do that, but I think it would work. Trees animating more like The Witcher 3 would be cool.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That looks truly excellent- I'm assuming part of your wizardry involves turning the grass density way up in the inis; but what else have you done?

Even if that was it, it's gone a long way. Bethesda games always have the density way too low and it looks terrible; this is something that Arma and STALKER understand; the tradeoff is that with just a high density but low draw distance it's very obvious where it's being culled, whereas sparse grass is less so.

I really need to upgrade my computer for more grass.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

aniviron posted:

That looks truly excellent- I'm assuming part of your wizardry involves turning the grass density way up in the inis; but what else have you done?

Even if that was it, it's gone a long way. Bethesda games always have the density way too low and it looks terrible; this is something that Arma and STALKER understand; the tradeoff is that with just a high density but low draw distance it's very obvious where it's being culled, whereas sparse grass is less so.

I really need to upgrade my computer for more grass.

I grabbed both Commonwealth Conifers Redux and Rustbelt Flora. Commonwealth Conifers adds a massive amount of trees, which like Rustbelt Flora, largely uses the base game's models and textures. I went through and pruned some things, and updated a number of LODs, then generated a world LOD in the creation kit to get the distant trees visible. I'm also using one of the Lush Landscape variations for the grass.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ahhh yeah, shoulda figured on the LODs. It's not super visible in your screenshots, but it does look super jarring sometimes, especially in a Vertibird without having done that.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9656/ Regrowth Overhaul is what I use, I have yet to make a lod, I should get around to it.
overall, its good, although a bit odd around the off the map southwest area.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
How is the FPS hit with that? I was using Nuclear Reloaded for lush trees for a while but I had 3 major gripes with it. It hit the FPS noticeably, the larger trees tended to clip through things often, and it didn't block LOS so enemies would easily spot you through the dense foliage.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fina posted:

How is the FPS hit with that? I was using Nuclear Reloaded for lush trees for a while but I had 3 major gripes with it. It hit the FPS noticeably, the larger trees tended to clip through things often, and it didn't block LOS so enemies would easily spot you through the dense foliage.

The FPS hit for pretty much every flora overhaul is going to be the same. Mod authors largely refuse to touch precombined objects and pregenerated visibility, nav meshes, occluder markers, or even just visibility at all. Because of this your machine is going to be loading hundreds or thousands more individual meshes per scene, there won't be any occlusion culling, and NPCs won't be able to tell that any additional objects exist that they can't walk or see through.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
Between this mod and sim settlements I think I'll finally have to reinstall the game. Also I've never tried any of the enb settings, are there any good ones geared towards low end pcs / low graphics settings or is that not really an issue?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It has the strawberry hard candies. :3:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Odd request for a mod here if anyone has heard of something like this, I find in bethesda games I tend to get weighed down with valuable items that weigh 0.1 until I'm carrying 20 lbs of it, is there any mod that either shows the weight or combined weight at a quick glance in the inventory, or a mod that shows me how much weight in each category I am carrying like something to tell me I am carrying 100 lbs of items in the aid category.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Odd request for a mod here if anyone has heard of something like this, I find in bethesda games I tend to get weighed down with valuable items that weigh 0.1 until I'm carrying 20 lbs of it, is there any mod that either shows the weight or combined weight at a quick glance in the inventory, or a mod that shows me how much weight in each category I am carrying like something to tell me I am carrying 100 lbs of items in the aid category.

I think that DEF_UI would be your best bet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Which shut the gently caress up preston mod is the least unstable? Enough About the Settlements Already Preston, Lowered Minutemen Expectations, or something else?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I'd like to be able turn a quest in to Preston without him forcing another on me.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I used Lowered Minuteman Expectations without issues and so did my roommate. Can't speak to the other mod, though.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The Sim Settlements updated plots are going to be 2x2 and centered so they don't clip into one another.

I think I'm going to wait a while for the first wave of improvements to die down and then... start over. :shepicide:

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

aniviron posted:

I used Lowered Minuteman Expectations without issues and so did my roommate.
I used it too, and I think it worked without issues. It's hard to say: I assume that in the vanilla game, Preston also preferentially assigns you the Sanctuary "rescue a kidnapped settler from the Federal Ration Reserve" mission over literally everything else? Because that's what he did to me, over and over again. The last few times, the raiders hadn't even had time to respawn, so I was just strolling in, untying a dude, and strolling out.

I ended up triggering the Taking Independence mission using console commands because I was nearly 2/3rds of the way through the game and Preston hadn't said poo poo about it yet, but whether that was something glitched out in my savegame, something from the mod, or something else, I dunno. (It could've been my fault -- I never looked around Bunker Hill much, so I didn't get it as a settlement until after the battle there. The wiki said the mission is supposed to be given out when you've got 4 allied settlements including Sanctuary, but I had way more than that and it was still just endless "A settler has been kidnapped from Sanctuary!" bullshit from him.)

My dream mod for Preston would be one that had me tell him what mission he was going to give me. "Let's get new allies: what can we do for one of the unaligned settlements?" "Are we big enough to need our own headquarters yet?" "I feel like shooting something. Who's having ghoul trouble these days?" But AFAIK, you can't even do that with console commands, so I dunno if it's even possible for a mod to make that happen.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Trilobite posted:

I used it too, and I think it worked without issues. It's hard to say: I assume that in the vanilla game, Preston also preferentially assigns you the Sanctuary "rescue a kidnapped settler from the Federal Ration Reserve" mission over literally everything else? Because that's what he did to me, over and over again. The last few times, the raiders hadn't even had time to respawn, so I was just strolling in, untying a dude, and strolling out.

Yeah, this is a vanilla issue. It was so bad for me at points that I would rescue two or three people before the cell reset.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Trilobite posted:

My dream mod for Preston would be one that had me tell him what mission he was going to give me. "Let's get new allies: what can we do for one of the unaligned settlements?" "Are we big enough to need our own headquarters yet?" "I feel like shooting something. Who's having ghoul trouble these days?" But AFAIK, you can't even do that with console commands, so I dunno if it's even possible for a mod to make that happen.

Wow, now, that would make so much more sense, with the very rare emergency broadcast from fort pentagonads, (that can really just be ignored.)
for added bran & a fiber rich diet: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23413/

will maybe update after playing, but this looks like fun : http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23358/ relentless pursuers
Don't Calle Me Settler is awesome, but really, it fucks the main quest, (somehow), so I uninstalled it prior to this (identical to all others) run. (start game, and gradually creep to 250 mods, whereupon the game has already ground to a halt anyway)
*ANYWAY* http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23391 name those goddamn settlers automatically?(????) <- if it uses an editable list, should rename some to SA Usernames

staberind fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 11, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Here's a pretty cool mod that makes Father's appearance change based on his parents.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23411/

It also has a really cool comments section.

quote:

Distribution of inherited looks doesn't make any sense to me. Why 75% male influence and only 25% female? Since men always have at least one female chromosome (while women can have four with no male chromosome at all) a fifty/fifty distribution would have been more plausible, although everything is determined by the genes and by who's genes were the dominant ones; male or female...

Since I always play with a female character that means that in my game the female was wearing the pants, i.e. was the dominant character, which makes her genes getting the upper hand more likely...

But, since this mod is based on similar behavior from another game, I guess the author is stuck with the same results from that behaviour...

Way too much Metal Gear going on in this guy's life.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I don't know about that, I'm going to get Master Miller and double check....

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

turn off the TV posted:

Way too much Metal Gear going on in this guy's life.

I only got the recessive mods!!!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Fallout 3: Gotta find my dad!

Fallout 4: Gotta find my son!

Fallout 5: BROTHER!! DID YOU LIKE MY SUNGLASSES?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
we are approaching peak nexus, but no comically oversized titties. yet.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23426/ Kafka Shaun.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

He is Franz Kafka!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

There's a remake of the 12.7mm pistol from New Vegas out on the workshop now.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23434/

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I've done so many exhausting hardcore survival runs of Fallout that I kind of what to re-roll for an insane, ammo-fueled romp through a Wasteland filled with crazies locked in perpetual, insane combat. Any mod suggestions?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

There's a remake of the 12.7mm pistol from New Vegas out on the workshop now.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23434/

Looks great, though like the 10MM SMG the model needs to be a bit smaller.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17374/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Ffallout4%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D17374&pUp=1

So I guess Horizon hit 1.0.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Sounds like I need to finally try Horizon. Anything I need to know / any mods I need to get before I take the plunge?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

clone on the phone posted:

Sounds like I need to finally try Horizon. Anything I need to know / any mods I need to get before I take the plunge?

When playing Horizon you need to consider the cost/benefit ratio of every action you take. Early on you'll want to avoid a lot of fights not because you can't win but because winning won't earn you enough to replace the ammo and healing you used. Attacking animals and mutants is a particularly poor investment, especially beefier ones like Mirelurks. And hoard Adhesives, because they're used to craft absolutely everything, including vital bandages.

As for mods, it's mostly whatever aesthetic and quality of life ones you like. I find Sleep or Save completely essentially in any sort of survival run, and DEF_UI is pretty much a necessity. Just remember that Horizon has its own sorting mod, so don't try to combine it with VIS or anything like that because it will mess your items right up. I also like to use Journal of the Sole Survivor to keep track of all the recipes and stuff I need since there's no wiki or anything.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I've used some weapon mods with mixed success but I think im going to look at tweaking the mods I download so they make more sense.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

CascadeBeta posted:

I've used some weapon mods with mixed success but I think im going to look at tweaking the mods I download so they make more sense.

Are you tweaking all the nice looking canon friendly stuff for balance?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I plan to, I just need to dedicate a weekend to it and crash course myself modding basics.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

CascadeBeta posted:

I plan to, I just need to dedicate a weekend to it and crash course myself modding basics.

Well if you get around to doing the new 10MM SMG or other canon variants post it in the thread and I'll include the future mod with the list I made because I really like all those guns.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I mean I'll probably just go down the list of lore friendly weapons and take a look see. Ideally I'd like to balance them similarly to how they were in the original games but we'll see how well that actually plays with horizon.

Basically I'd want to keep a sense of progression, but that's tough with how limited some ammo is. I'll experiment and touch base with the thread and see what people think.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm fine with whatever, as long as they aren't one shotting Deathclaws.

The worst balanced mod weapon for this game was the earlier version of the BAR mod.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

staberind posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9656/ Regrowth Overhaul is what I use, I have yet to make a lod, I should get around to it.
overall, its good, although a bit odd around the off the map southwest area.

I tried this one for a while and while I loved how everything looked, there's a major problem with it:

An enemy's view and accuracy isn't impacted by foliage. So while that shrub you're hiding behind makes it impossible for you to tell where the enemies are, they still know EXACTLY where you are.

I'm pretty sure this is not fixable in the game engine as it stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

CascadeBeta posted:

Thankfully FO4edit makes it pretty simple to do stuff like that. When I was last playing Fallout 4 a few weeks ago I tweaked to get a bunch of mod and DLC weapons to fit with the Weapon Balance Overhaul and if I can manage it anyone can do it.