Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

To be fair, when the Lost finale aired on TV it was followed by images of the 815 crash over the credits. That wasn't actually a creative decision on Lindelof and Cuse's part (I think it was some weirdo ABC executive or something that threw that in there) and I can see how that could cause people to massively misinterpret the ending.

It's a super interesting phenomenon from a semiotic point of a view.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm sorry, but the lost ending was the worst ending to anything i have ever read or seen. I say this with a postgraduate degree in literature.

I might not be able to ever get a job in my field, or any job, but at least i get to have very confident opinions about stories. I'm 33 years old and this has gotten me through.

(I still liked lost up until the final season)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I didn't even know about that epilogue and I was a huge LOST fan, thanks for that post

I'm on Ep 5 now, I'd forgotten about Kevin's mystery call from the ATF&C guy who's name came up on the caller ID then switched to "Unknown" when he started getting weird and talking about eliminating infestations

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

As somebody without an advanced degree in literature I get to enjoy the finale of Lost.

I'm soso keen for some more ninth doctor!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If only I had a literature degree so I could realise how the Lost finale is Actually Bad :(

(I don't really like a lot of the final season but absolutely think the finale knocks it out of the park)

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I think it's just that you can't go into the Leftovers expecting any sort of answers regarding what happened during the disappearance. Watching LOST week to week for years it was absolutely impossible to not come up with theories about what was going on and what things meant. Not that the character development and themes and poo poo were worthless once you definitively found out they were all really dead, but the theories were impossible to ignore. With the Leftovers we at least know we aren't going to get answers so dips into the mythicism or supernatural or you whatever you want to call it happen and you don't have to search for" physical" literal meaning.

This is what I thought. But delta bravos in the thread keep repeating it when nobody is even discussing "theories."

"I like season 1 better than season 2"

"Lol LOST really messed people up"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Jeez take it easy buddy

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

If only I had a literature degree so I could realise how the Lost finale is Actually Bad :(

(I don't really like a lot of the final season but absolutely think the finale knocks it out of the park)

Yeah LOST's ending is great, no one can convince me otherwise. Even if they have a postgraduate degree in literature :rolleyes: The final season had its problems, but I don't count the finale in them at all.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I forgot that Dog Man was investigated by the GR and they couldn't find anything on him

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Last Chance posted:

Yeah LOST's ending is great, no one can convince me otherwise. Even if they have a postgraduate degree in literature :rolleyes: The final season had its problems, but I don't count the finale in them at all.

I'd unironically love to hear why you think the Lost finale was great. Specifically with regards to what you take away from it, i.e. how it changed you in some way, or how it sheds an interesting light on any of the themes the show explores.

No one has ever been able to tell me how the finale helps to bring that show beyond the superficial level of the narrative itself, what its message is, what it offers as food for thought beyond the story.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I finished Season 1 and enjoyed it a lot more this time around, I'm upgrading it from Good to Very Good.

Onto Season 2 now, I'd forgotten how creepy Happy John was

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

sticklefifer posted:

There's literally a scene in the finale where Jack's dad explains to him that the island was all real, but the place they're in now isn't. Yet I still have conversations with people I know who claim "it was such bullshit, they were in purgatory all along!"

Maybe that's what people mean when they say Lost broke people. The show broke their ability to believe what a TV show is telling them even when it's directly telling them something because they're too deep into their own theory.

Also his ex-wife showed up.

Can we spoiler the Lost ending stuff please.

Just kidding, we gave up on Lost after the 3rd or 4th season. Not sure if we'll ever go back and finish it up at this point.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

tomapot posted:

Can we spoiler the Lost ending stuff please.

Just kidding, we gave up on Lost after the 3rd or 4th season. Not sure if we'll ever go back and finish it up at this point.

Should. One of the best TVs ever.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

UmOk posted:

This is what I thought. But delta bravos in the thread keep repeating it when nobody is even discussing "theories."

"I like season 1 better than season 2"

"Lol LOST really messed people up"

Haha yep

UmOk posted:

For reasons I mentioned in my previous post I wonder what LOST is like after the fact. It was a cultural phenomenon, the constant speculation and fuckery made it by far the most fun show to talk about I've ever watched.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

I forgot that Dog Man was investigated by the GR and they couldn't find anything on him

While we're (sort of) on the topic, Michael Gaston is in everything. I re-watched The Leftovers a couple weeks back and since then I've noticed him popping up in about a half dozen shows I watch.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Haha yep

For reasons I mentioned in my previous post I wonder what LOST is like after the fact. It was a cultural phenomenon, the constant speculation and fuckery made it by far the most fun show to talk about I've ever watched.
Yeah a lot of Lost love is definitely timing. Now it sits on my Netflix taunting me to continue my rewatch. As a Netflix binge show it works well as vignettes.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

UmOk posted:

The time commitment is ridiculous though, it is something like 120 episodes. I ran up against the same thing with my West Wing rewatch, the tv seasons back then ran 18+ episodes. A lot harder than binging through today's 10 episode seasons. I'll probably get back to it one day, but so much other TV to get through first.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

tomapot posted:

The time commitment is ridiculous though, it is something like 120 episodes. I ran up against the same thing with my West Wing rewatch, the tv seasons back then ran 18+ episodes. A lot harder than binging through today's 10 episode seasons. I'll probably get back to it one day, but so much other TV to get through first.

It's hard to believe they did that many episodes and very little, if any, was filler. Each episode continued the story on the island while at the same time having a pretty self contained flashback(or forward or sideways) for one of the characters that tied back in to what was happening on the island.

Kinda want to rewatch now.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

UmOk posted:

It's hard to believe they did that many episodes and very little, if any, was filler.

*ahem* the first half of season 3 would like a word with you.

(ABC wouldn't commit to an end date, so the creators taught them a lesson by going hog-wild with filler. It worked. They got their date, and the remaining seasons were shorter and tighter, s6 issues notwithstanding.)

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Hipster_Doofus posted:

*ahem* the first half of season 3 would like a word with you.

(ABC wouldn't commit to an end date, so the creators taught them a lesson by going hog-wild with filler. It worked. They got their date, and the remaining seasons were shorter and tighter, s6 issues notwithstanding.)

I liked the first half of season 3. It's the first half of season 2 that I still can't stand to watch. The Tailies never did it for me.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Haha yep

I only watched it a few years ago for the first time, and I loved it. Since I already knew 'there wouldn't be answers' (there was though many weren't great), and 'the island is purgatory' (which it isn't and anyone who got that wrong weren't paying attention), I was just along for the ride and just got into the characters. You can really see some of the best qualities of lost in the leftovers, it's just a lot tighter than lost ever was.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The majority of people I knew who thought they were dead all along only tuned into the last episode and never actually watched the entire show. It's hard for people to grasp that the show isn't shown in linear time when they just tune into one episode.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

oliwan posted:

I'd unironically love to hear why you think the Lost finale was great. Specifically with regards to what you take away from it, i.e. how it changed you in some way, or how it sheds an interesting light on any of the themes the show explores.

No one has ever been able to tell me how the finale helps to bring that show beyond the superficial level of the narrative itself, what its message is, what it offers as food for thought beyond the story.

Yeah, I hear ya there. I loved Lost back when it aired, but when I try to think of the finale and if it even had any kind of impact on my overall feelings of the show as a whole, or what huge memorable, iconic moments it had, there really isn't all that much there. I remember they made as much an effort as they could to try to tie some of the countless, inconclusive and ever added-to mysteries, myths and histories together to make some kind of sense. What that sense is, I don't really remember any of, or really care that much. As for iconic moments, I remember that the Jack vs Locke "put a cork in it" final boss battle was cheesy af, all the cast got together to cry in church and a fat neckbeard inherited The Island so he could sit on the beach

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've never seen Lost, and I don't think I'll ever be checking it out, but from what I can tell from what you all are saying about it, Lindelof was NOT given complete creative control by the network, correct? And this was the major cause of the issues that have been brought up, including the finale and how long it took to get there?

Well, I'm really glad that The Leftovers is what we get when he DOES have almost-complete control (aside from the original author helping out). I have a good feeling about how this show will end. I highly doubt, aside from limiting it to 3 seasons, HBO has gotten much in his way.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

e: I don't wanna talk about LOST anymore or justify why I like the finale. Back to The Leftovers:

Just finished Season 1, Episode 9, The One Where People Depart

Kidding of course, the episode's actually titled "The Garveys At Their Best." And it's really accurate. I'd forgotten they'd done an entire flashback episode in season one for some reason and this one's really great. I also hadn't realized that Kevin's little glimpses of happiness during his rendition of "Homeward Bound" in season two pretty much consisted of scenes from this pre/during-departure episode.

Kevin Sr.'s party is sweet, and it's fun seeing Matt cut loose and not really giving much of a poo poo about anything because of a cancer scare, I guess?

Obviously every character has serious problems, but there are moments of true happiness sprinkled throughout each of their stories and this entire hour serves as a nice contrast for the mega-grim poo poo that's about to transpire. I've always been impressed by this show's ability to create unease, and they do it very well here when you watch everyone's lives fall apart in slow motion lol.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

There was so much stuff I'd forgotten about for Season 1 that I'm annoyed I didn't rewatch last season.

For example, the car load of women that stop to ask Kevin if he's ready when he's sitting on the side of the road in a white shirt smoking, several hours before the Departure.

Or the guy at the hostel trying to kill Christine in order to kill the baby because "[he] knows what's in there!"

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 11, 2017

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Last Chance posted:

e: I don't wanna talk about LOST anymore or justify why I like the finale. Back to The Leftovers:

Just finished Season 1, Episode 9, The One Where People Depart

Kidding of course, the episode's actually titled "The Garveys At Their Best." And it's really accurate. I'd forgotten they'd done an entire flashback episode in season one for some reason and this one's really great. I also hadn't realized that Kevin's little glimpses of happiness during his rendition of "Homeward Bound" in season two pretty much consisted of scenes from this pre/during-departure episode.

Kevin Sr.'s party is sweet, and it's fun seeing Matt cut loose and not really giving much of a poo poo about anything because of a cancer scare, I guess?

Obviously every character has serious problems, but there are moments of true happiness sprinkled throughout each of their stories and this entire hour serves as a nice contrast for the mega-grim poo poo that's about to transpire. I've always been impressed by this show's ability to create unease, and they do it very well here when you watch everyone's lives fall apart in slow motion lol.

I'm on a rewatch and "The Garveys At Their Best" is a great reframing of the series and perfectly placed in the progression of the episodes. I love how some of the facade stats to break down over time. Some great acting in there, especially between Laurie and Kevin.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Haven't heard anything about how hot Justin Theroux is in a while. You need to mention that at least once per episode recap.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

There was so much stuff I'd forgotten about for Season 1 that I'm annoyed I didn't rewatch last season.

For example, the car load of women that stop to ask Kevin if he's ready when he's sitting on the side of the road in a white shirt smoking, several hours before the Departure.

Or the guy at the hostel trying to kill Christine in order to kill the baby because "[he] knows what's in there!"
Yes!! The car-lady was just so weird and unsettling. I'd forgotten about the deer trapping itself in homes and the school, pre-departure as well. This show really fucks with your head.

tomapot posted:

I'm on a rewatch and "The Garveys At Their Best" is a great reframing of the series and perfectly placed in the progression of the episodes. I love how some of the facade stats to break down over time. Some great acting in there, especially between Laurie and Kevin.
Yes, I also thought Kevin, Sr. had a standout performance as well. It's interesting to see him fully in charge of Mapleton PD and well-respected. He plays it really well. I think this episode is the one to check out if you don't have a lot of time to commit to an entire two-season rewatch.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

Haven't heard anything about how hot Justin Theroux is in a while. You need to mention that at least once per episode recap.

Guys got a hammer

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

He is, by far, my one 'if I went gay' choice.

Actually, I don't even think I'd have to be gay to be honest.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The last couple of episodes I've rewatched have featured Theroux jogging in his gray sweatpants which make the outline of his cock look like it's made from marble or stone.

It's funny how he charms some some Asian ladies gardening when he jogs past.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Last Chance posted:

The last couple of episodes I've rewatched have featured Theroux jogging in his gray sweatpants which make the outline of his cock look like it's made from marble or stone.

It's funny how he charms some some Asian ladies gardening when he jogs past.

I was reading an interview with Carrie Coon and she jokingly said she thinks Lindelof puts Theroux through all these tough scenes (drowning, getting buried, shot, etc) because Lindelof is jealous of how devastatingly handsome he is.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I forgot that Tommy knew the detail of Holy Wayne dying in a gas station bathroom... how did he know that? I assumed his story about meeting him and Wayne hugging him was bullshit, but we left Tommy just as he found the baby iirc

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
These forums were at their peak during the :lost: seasons.

Anyways. I think my favorite scene of The Leftovers is Kevin singing "Homeward Bound". Beautifully shot, and reading about how they chose that scene is pretty funny.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

HanabaL03 posted:

These forums were at their peak during the :lost: seasons.

Anyways. I think my favorite scene of The Leftovers is Kevin singing "Homeward Bound". Beautifully shot, and reading about how they chose that scene is pretty funny.

Got a link?

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/06/the-leftovers-karaoke-scene-finale-damon-lindelof-justin-theroux-oral-history-interview-1201690160/

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Great read!

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > The Leftovers Season 3: I don’t even like Simon and Garfunkel

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
This review is also probably the best summary of the show's themes:

http://variety.com/2017/tv/reviews/leftovers-season-3-review-final-episodes-1202029489/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

oliwan posted:

I'm sorry, but the lost ending was the worst ending to anything i have ever read or seen. I say this with a postgraduate degree in literature.

I might not be able to ever get a job in my field, or any job, but at least i get to have very confident opinions about stories.
I enjoyed the finale and I have a degree in film & television writing and several years of industry job experience, so :lol: at thinking education applies to something that's completely a matter of opinion and personal taste.

Octy posted:

While we're (sort of) on the topic, Michael Gaston is in everything. I re-watched The Leftovers a couple weeks back and since then I've noticed him popping up in about a half dozen shows I watch.
He's in a ton of sci-fi. Also his IMDB picture is him standing with Trump, which is an odd choice at best.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 13, 2017

• Locked thread