Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

SPECIES SUBMISSION

quote:

The Coluthium people had always used their shells for protection, ever since they first climbed from the primordial soup. When they reached for the stars, however, their shells were not enough. Though they could fashion a breathing apparatus, their shells could not survive the cold vacuum of space for long. Spacewalks were difficult and many lives were lost.

Then, there came a breakthrough; AI controlled robotic drones. They could do the work the Coluthiums could not, they could survive where shells cracked and shattered. The living beings began relying deeply on their robotic companions, growing fat and lazy on their expanding culinary talents. Some of them began to wonder if replacing their shells with synthetic ones, or perhaps even just transferring their consciousness, would allow them to travel deep into the galaxy...

https://pastebin.com/LhEXsUMV

Is there a link to the in progress pack or is it not released yet? And while I'm at it, is there anything obviously terrible about the selections for this species? I don't know whats good anymore. I've been using it in my latest game and they've been doing pretty well. Made a lot of friends and have surplus food out the rear end, even with a stockpile of 5k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
God drat, but the early AI just cheats like a motherfucker now. 30 years in, with five worlds and 33 people, I've got a respectable fleet cap of 25, filled up with corvettes. I discover a neighbor who hates me on sight, see that he's got only 4 worlds and a 26 population, and decide to declare war. Naturally, he pulls out a fleet of 6 destroyers, 33 corvettes, because I'm sure it's very credible that he has a fleet cap of 45 somehow.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Game got a bit harder it seems. Pre-Utopia/Banks, it was hard for me to really fall behind the curve militarily. Now, it seems that you really have to watch out for those Hegemonic Imperialists and Ruthless Capitalists. Hard to keep an edge on them fleet-wise. I've been wiped a couple times already.

My current game, the jerks next door invaded early, they occupied one colony, but I was able to knock enough off their fleet numbers so that my homeworld starport was safe. I was also able to spam defensive armies on my second colony, keeping​ them from actually invading. Still, one colony occupied, the other being bombarded to hell sucks. Slowly building up a new fleet at the homeworld to counterattack. Feels kinda tense, if tedious.

Missiles definitely seem to pack a bit more punch against corvettes and such. Energy still seems lackluster vs. kinetics.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

And while I'm at it, is there anything obviously terrible about the selections for this species? I don't know whats good anymore.

Well even so, they're Snailiens so you have good instincts.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Strudel Man posted:

God drat, but the early AI just cheats like a motherfucker now. 30 years in, with five worlds and 33 people, I've got a respectable fleet cap of 25, filled up with corvettes. I discover a neighbor who hates me on sight, see that he's got only 4 worlds and a 26 population, and decide to declare war. Naturally, he pulls out a fleet of 6 destroyers, 33 corvettes, because I'm sure it's very credible that he has a fleet cap of 45 somehow.

There's nothing cheating about going over fleet cap though.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Also it's possible he has grand fleet.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Anybody else take a jack-of-all-trades approach to ship design due to laziness and a lack of desire to find out and exploit an enemy's weakness? I tend to design based on weapon range more than anything. I try to make sure all the weapons on a ship mostly have the same range and beyond that try to have weapons that do increased shield and armor damage along with a missile/torp. I just kind of put everything I can on a ship because I'm a lazy sack.

That said, I really, really love pairing disruptors with plasma throwers.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

GunnerJ posted:

There's nothing cheating about going over fleet cap though.
No, but there's no way in hell he could support that. And indeed, when I tag over, he's in the red in energy by 6.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Strudel Man posted:

No, but there's no way in hell he could support that. And indeed, when I tag over, he's in the red in energy by 6.

Right but that still isn't cheating. It's absolutely true that it can't sustain that level of fleet. That still doesn't prevent it from having a fleet that big.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

GunnerJ posted:

Right but that still isn't cheating. It's absolutely true that it can't sustain that level of fleet. That still doesn't prevent it from having a fleet that big.
I declared war within a month or two of seeing the guy. If he'd had the fleet hanging around, he wouldn't have had any energy, which he did. He certainly didn't have time to build it up in preparation.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Also not getting my cheevos. Just thought it was because of a gently caress up I made when I originally bought the game. Glad to know it's not.

Yeah, Paradox has said they are aware and will hopefully retroactively fix it if you don't delete your saves.

In other hilarious news, here's the Unbidden bitching about me colonizing too near them:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Strudel Man posted:

I declared war within a month or two of seeing the guy. If he'd had the fleet hanging around, he wouldn't have had any energy, which he did. He certainly didn't have time to build it up in preparation.

Was his fleet docked or undocked? I'm not sure how you were viewing his energy income, maybe there is something you're missing there. In general there are a lot of things you can do to boost your fleet cap, or have stockpiled resources, or whatever. Even if the AI does have a cheated cap increase, it can be beaten if you go about it smartly.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

ulmont posted:

Yeah, Paradox has said they are aware and will hopefully retroactively fix it if you don't delete your saves.

In other hilarious news, here's the Unbidden bitching about me colonizing too near them:

हां, यह एक ऐसी तस्वीर है जिसे मैं पढ़ सकता हूं

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Strudel Man posted:

You can maintain a single figure energy deficit for decades though?

Also, was he docked when you tabbed over?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Speaking of migration, I'm having a bitch of a time attracting any alien migrants. I have migration treaties with 3 or 4 empires, a sprawling empire of 40+ planets of various types, Visitor's Centers and tons of open space on my new worlds (I'm pretty much continously colonizing as Synths with 100% habitability on everything), yet nobody's migrating over. I know I have some space for these aliens on worlds suitable for them. They're just not migrating. Am I alone here? Does going full synth somehow discourage migration (I haven't seen any of my pops migrate since going full synth either)? I'm playing with the beta patch.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Are there mods to let me build multiple megastructures at once? I've basically won the game but i wanna build em all before i crush everyone

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Can someone link the robot portraits mod?

Edit: Nevermind, it's called SYNTHETICS, not ROBOTS. I got it now

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 10, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
One very annoying bug I've found in my robot run:

Pre-existing synthetics remain a distinct pop type from your actual converted dudes, and they get forced into a more undesirable role where I can't change their citizen rights. It would be nice to have a way to convert all of them as well if that was possible, because right now it feels kind of broken and dumb.

Also I cannot tell what makes robot pops grow faster, some grow at 2.00 speed and others at 1.00 speed, and it doesn't seem to be based on species type or planet size it varies from pop to pop at times.

Also I REALLY wish militarist could displace pops without requiring xenophobe or authoritarian. I suppressed a bunch of factions that popped up at a bad time without realizing it was going to push xenophobe off my government ethics list, and lost the ability to remove pops from conquered planets.... which is pretty annoying since I spent the whole game make this perfect robot race who could colonize everything.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 10, 2017

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Remember that spaceports and spaceport upgrades add to your fleet cap as well. If, say, you only had a spaceport at your homeworld but your enemy built them all over their empire and upgraded them too then they would have a substantial fleet cap advantage.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

4 worlds is pretty close to 40 fleet cap if you build ports on all of them yeah.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
oh hey i've been playing this again and i remembered i made a mod that allows you to browse the forums from the in-game help browser, like if youre running the clock or whatever

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=683869120

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

हां, यह एक ऐसी तस्वीर है जिसे मैं पढ़ सकता हूं

यह मेरी कॉलोनी के बारे में अप्रत्याशित शिकायत है, जैसे कि इंग्लिश कैप्शन ने कहा

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Mazz posted:

One very annoying bug I've found in my robot run:

Pre-existing synthetics remain a distinct pop type from your actual converted dudes, and they get forced into a more undesirable role where I can't change their citizen rights. It would be nice to have a way to convert all of them as well if that was possible, because right now it feels kind of broken and dumb.

Also I cannot tell what makes robot pops grow faster, some grow at 2.00 speed and others at 1.00 speed, and it doesn't seem to be based on species type or planet size it varies from pop to pop at times.

Also I REALLY wish militarist could displace pops without requiring xenophobe or authoritarian. I suppressed a bunch of factions that popped up at a bad time without realizing it was going to push xenophobe off my government ethics list, and lost the ability to remove pops from conquered planets.... which is pretty annoying since I spent the whole game make this perfect robot race who could colonize everything.

Honestly this doesn't bother me too much that synths are a distinct species. I could see them viewing synths, who had always been mechanical, as different from their own who transcended. At least that's how I always saw it. Now if that society would view the synths as inferior due to not having experienced the transition or superior due to being machine from the start is up to interpretation. But it doesn't bother me that the two remain different.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

alcaras posted:

I also went down Psonic Ascension options

Made a deal with the Shroud, but so far haven't seen any adverse consequences. I'm told that there are though.

Specifically the one that said in red text, "Do not do this."..? because that one is FUN. Dwarf Fortress style. Hat's off to wiz on that one.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Is there a list of species that have been submitted to the new goon pack anywhere? I've got some submissions, but I want to see if there are any glaring absences in the pack in terms of AI personalities or build types first, so I can fill some of those niches

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Published it as two different mods:

The main Awful Utopia mod:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=902254973

And the Human Arks mod:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=902255007

The Human Arks really deserved their own standalone for people who like human only galaxies... and for those who don't, probably worth having their own side mod. I recommend adding both though!

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I am now disappointed in habitats. I kinda wanted a challenge run where I never colonized another planet--just habitats and maybe a ringworld if I got that far. But the fact that they can't have spaceports is a giant handicap, I can't keep up in shipbuilding.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Note that I havent set up mod dependencies for that yet so not ever empire will work

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So I used to do a lot of infiltration, but that is a tougher thing now what with...requiring some late-game tech I don't recall the name of. I tried uplifting a species, but they became jerks as soon as it was done, turning into evangelizing zealots. They refused to do a migration treaty with me, which was the whole reason why I did it. Any way to force them into that? Do I just need to uplift, and then invade?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Filthy Monkey posted:

So I used to do a lot of infiltration, but that is a tougher thing now what with...requiring some late-game tech I don't recall the name of. I tried uplifting a species, but they became jerks as soon as it was done, turning into evangelizing zealots. They refused to do a migration treaty with me, which was the whole reason why I did it. Any way to force them into that? Do I just need to uplift, and then invade?

Depending on your ethics, the observation post now has a mission to convert them to your ethics before you uplift. This was a common complaint, because sometimes you'd spend all that time and energy only to get a fanatical purifier protectorate. I've noticed for myself, though, that the ethics conversion is pretty spotty. The mission isn't on a timer so you have to wait for random events to slowly change them, which can take forever based on RNG. In your situation, since it's already done, you're probably better off releasing then liberating them.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

They get such a large penalty for 'relative power of subjects' that I am not sure how you are supposed to do anything with them, even if they are a friendlier AI type. I tried giving them a bunch of money for a favorable trade deal, but it still wasn't enough.

I want that migration treaty!

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 10, 2017

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
I finally got all 6 of a precursor chain! I sent out a ship to go have a look, was getting really excited to see what happened to the Cybrex and then got turfed out by a Xenophillic Fallen Empire. The Cybrex homeworld is in their space and the hover tooltip says 'Fallen Empires do not have open borders to other Empires!'

Will they ever open their borders to me so I can see the chain through? I'm also a Fanatic Pacifist Materialist, so I can't even make a dumb war just to see it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Filthy Monkey posted:

They get such a large penalty for 'relative power of subjects' that I am not sure how you are supposed to do anything with them, even if they are a friendlier AI type. I tried giving them a bunch of money for a favorable trade deal, but it still wasn't enough.

I want that migration treaty!

That Relative Power modifier is still super broken. Even when I had a >75k fleet compared to my vassal with exactly zero fleet, the modifier was -16. :iiam:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's definitely possible to get access to a fallen empire, I had one grant me access after I gave them one of my pops for a wildlife preserve.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

Krazyface posted:

It's definitely possible to get access to a fallen empire, I had one grant me access after I gave them one of my pops for a wildlife preserve.

Great! Thanks for that, now I just need to decide if I want to hang on and not do the Limbo event until I get synthetics, in case that changes it somehow.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Trundel posted:

I finally got all 6 of a precursor chain! I sent out a ship to go have a look, was getting really excited to see what happened to the Cybrex and then got turfed out by a Xenophillic Fallen Empire. The Cybrex homeworld is in their space and the hover tooltip says 'Fallen Empires do not have open borders to other Empires!'

Will they ever open their borders to me so I can see the chain through? I'm also a Fanatic Pacifist Materialist, so I can't even make a dumb war just to see it.

The xenophiles will eventually let you in if you toady up to them and then whine about it.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Trundel posted:

Great! Thanks for that, now I just need to decide if I want to hang on and not do the Limbo event until I get synthetics, in case that changes it somehow.

You're locked out of sending the neural patterns to the FE if you've researched any robotics at all unless they've fixed the chain in this last patch.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So as I couldn't afford to buy Utopia yet I'm just playing with the base Banks update. Eventhough the "chemical bliss" living standard apparently requires the DLC to use, I still have the rare tech for it taking up research option slots, which is... not a huge deal, but not really desireable either.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
The only real use I can see for chemical bliss is thematically, as a humanitarian purifier. Give the people lots of happy pills and they don't mind so much that they've been sterilized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Am I crazy for thinking of filling a 22 space planet my population can't inhabit with mining droids?

• Locked thread