Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Alhazred posted:

The show is censored? Granted I'm watching it on HBO Nordic, but I haven't noticed any censoring.
On cable channel SyFy in the US when it airs, anyway. Probably only "gently caress" is censored but they say it at least fifty times per episode. I watched Season 1 on Netflix so it was a bit jarring on cable at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The 'f' in gently caress is dropped. Nothing else has been censored.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

The 'f' in gently caress is dropped. Nothing else has been censored.

Not always, they're pretty inconsistent on bleeping the fucks.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Did they also censor "lick her rear end in a top hat"? In my mind that's much more :airquote:extreme:airquote: than "gently caress".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

enraged_camel posted:

Did they also censor "lick her rear end in a top hat"? In my mind that's much more :airquote:extreme:airquote: than "gently caress".

They did not. They also don't censor oval office.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

They did not. They also don't censor oval office.

And good thing oo because nobody says that word like Margot.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

So, your shade is a piece of your soul, I guess? And is Julia now going to have mostly her own soul but partly Alice's? Or is she staying shade-free and they're going to try to put Alice's shade into her niffin?

TheKeeper posted:

The Magicians: loving Millennials
That line was dumb. What stereotypical "millennial" thing were they doing?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Did you get offended? Oh nooo...

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
My read of the "Millenials" line was that the dragon has seen multiple millenia come and go. :thejoke:

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

GreenNight posted:

Did you get offended? Oh nooo...

No I agree, it was pretty dumb. Felt like the writers were trying to shoehorn a meme into the scene.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sophism posted:

No I agree, it was pretty dumb. Felt like the writers were trying to shoehorn a meme into the scene.

Nope, the joke was that older people always find a way to stereotype and poo poo on millennials even when it's not relevant. I thought it was pretty funny.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't think highly of the writing but the joke there seemed to clearly be that the dragon is an "Ancient One" and it makes absolutely no sense for her to be judging "millenials" like that given her timespan. Hence why its funny.

Its the same realm of "You've heard of Swayze?" or "Foo-Fighters, why are you laughing?" This show loves making magical beings make references that make no sense outside of our culture.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

STAC Goat posted:

Its the same realm of "You've heard of Swayze?" or "Foo-Fighters, why are you laughing?" This show loves making magical beings make references that make no sense outside of our culture.
Except that those two were funny.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I'm sorry your sense of humor isn't nearly as refined as ours.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Especially the Fillory United (FU) Fighters, which was played completely straight by the Fillorians.

The only thing that could have made the Swayze questioning better was if the Knight and Eliot played out Swayze and Grey's dance lift.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For whatever its worth I'm pretty sure the "millenial stereotype" she was responding to was them wanting the help without giving up the button. And then Quenton asking to borrow it. "Something for nothing/you just expect handouts."

We've officially spent more time dissecting this joke than this show spends writing them.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Lev Grossman just tweeted that Season 3 has been greenlit. Yay!

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Lev Grossman just tweeted that Season 3 has been greenlit. Yay!
Fuck yes, that poo poo makes me want to lick every oval office's gay bitch rear end in a top hat.

I censored my post for you guys.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So Josh is the "High" King?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I have to rewatch tonight's episode.

Why were Eliot and Quentin after the clock? To be the new Watcher Woman? Or was it their gateway to Fillory? (I literally spaced for a moment when Eliot and Quentin were together)

Lame that they let the young librarian die for arbitrary reasons. Both of the librarians were great foils in different ways for Penny. I want to know more about Kanye's book. (I guess she died "offscreen", so she could recover and climb out - I thought those humanoid statues were going to start loving poo poo up and be the reason they both died ala Doctor Who and the Weeping Angels, but budget).

I hope we find out what OLU does with Reynard. It was nice to see that shadeless Julia still does have some capability for humanity and mercy in her the last two episodes. Will Julia accept her shade back?

Loved Umber being addicted to :doink: and Fillory being reality TV.

Consequences for killing a god? Let's see what happens. I was really hoping for a "gently caress you" moment to OLU and shooting Reynard midway through OLU's explanation.

Edit: I call it "Cuba"

Eliot: "Ember's turned all the humans into rats"
Umber: "Oh, he's finally done it. Talked about it for years."

geeves fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 13, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The clock is basically the wardrobe from the first Narnia book.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I really enjoyed Josh's montage of smoking up and kicking over the thrones. Actually, everything Josh this episode. Is he sticking around as a semi-main character now?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Was that Julia's shade there at the end of her scene?

Also i love the High King. Josh rules.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Rhyno posted:

Yes. It was her third appearance.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Mortanis posted:

I really enjoyed Josh's montage of smoking up and kicking over the thrones. Actually, everything Josh this episode. Is he sticking around as a semi-main character now?

He was a main character in the books from the very beginning, so I hope he becomes part of the gang now.

I also want them to do more with that really cute guy in the Physical Kids House who Eliot and Margot don't care for.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Rhyno posted:

Which I'm glad happened, or else I'd be concerned that Persephone wasn't there and it was some more next-level memory fuckery. Although Reynard is terrible, I do appreciate that a character on this show decided *not* to do something that would distort the laws of nature. Hope that works out for once. Resurrected Alice probably won't.

What's the over/under on Kady's god-bullet being used on Ember for being a dick?

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Xealot posted:

What's the over/under on Kady's god-bullet being used on Ember for being a dick?

I've only read the first book, but after it ended up not being used on Reynard, I could only think what a McGuffin that bullet is

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I kind of think Umber will show up and somehow (probably something Quentin did) Ember and Umber fight, presumably to the death. Then someone will shoot one of them, whichever one is revealed to be actually the bad one, and the other will be like "thanks". Unless Quentin has the gun in which case he'll probably shoot loving Alice accidentally instead.

Not before the orgy though, which at least in my fanfic is not very well censored.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

SLOSifl posted:

Not before the orgy though, which at least in my fanfic is not very well censored.

They only censor everyone's navel

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

It's definitely censored, but for language. They show everything.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SLOSifl posted:

I kind of think Umber will show up and somehow (probably something Quentin did) Ember and Umber fight, presumably to the death. Then someone will shoot one of them, whichever one is revealed to be actually the bad one, and the other will be like "thanks". Unless Quentin has the gun in which case he'll probably shoot loving Alice accidentally instead.

Given that this is The Magicians, they will have some erotic bro-on-bro time that gods do. They will argue about Law and Order vs. The Wire (this is why we can't get along!) then Margo will just straight up murder Ember.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I can see that. Everyone trying to work it out and arguing, and a gun shot suddenly stops everyone cold. Camera turns to Margo and she says something offhandedly like "blah blah that was so boring". At that point my character, Professor Bigpenis Goodatsex cups Margo's supple breast, but wait, is Julia jealous? Is it because she loves me, the very strong and tall and confident professor, who is so smart that students are always being very sexy to him and want him, or Margo, who is having lots of orgasms because her favorite lover, professor goodatsex, is doing extremely good at making her horny? The only way to figure this out is to ask Alice but she is very attracted to me because of both how hot the professor is from working out and surfing but also because he knows a lot about technology and has so many cool friends. Margo turns to Ember who didn't get shot, and he uses a spell uncover the girls navels and all of the guys leave except the professor and the goat guy leaves too but says I'm very cool.

Sorry, what were you talking about?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is Ambassador Sloth ok? I didn't see who got their throats slit.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
The sloth is currently a rat I think. Only guards had their throats cut not named court people.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Why

THE

gently caress

was sparing Renard the right thing to do?

If I was in Julia's shoes in that scene my only deep regret would be I didn't have two bullets to kill them both. I'd probably shot Lady Underground first just to make Renard watch. The fact she knew what was going on and let it go on gives her a big gently caress you in my book.

ED: Seriously I am literally thinking of a reason shooting Renard, seriously, would be wrong and can find none. He's just going to come back and murder more people in vengeance for John. Lady Underground clearly sucks and will abandon post again. Blow his head off and poo poo down his neck, I say.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Apr 15, 2017

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Blazing Ownager posted:

Why

THE

gently caress

If I was in Julia's shoes in that scene my only deep regret would be I didn't have two bullets to kill them both. I'd probably shot Lady Underground first just to make Renard watch. The fact she knew what was going on and let it go on gives her a big gently caress you in my book.

ED: Seriously I am literally thinking of a reason shooting Renard, seriously, would be wrong and can find none. He's just going to come back and murder more people in vengeance for John. Lady Underground clearly sucks and will abandon post again. Blow his head off and poo poo down his neck, I say.

That whole scene, I was just waiting for shade-less Julia to blow Reynards brains out during Persephone's speech, a la Jules from Pulp Fiction.

"Oh i'm sorry, did I break your concentration? I didn't mean to do that. Please continue! You were saying something about 'best intentions'?"

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Blazing Ownager posted:

Why

THE

gently caress

They need to save the bullet to shoot umbra. Also julia doesn't care what happened to her because she has no shade.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

wargames posted:

They need to save the bullet to shoot umbra. Also julia doesn't care what happened to her because she has no shade.

You mean Ember right? Umbra is the chill one hanging out in our world binging Law and Order.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Persephone seemed to imply that Julia would suffer some unclear consequences for killing a god, although that certainly could have been a lie. Ultimately Julia seemed to just take it as the ultimate test for if she could exhibit compassion at the highest level even without her shade.

Sure, there's a little more than just "revenge" I play since Reynard could just go back to raping and killing. But the setup was a morality okay and Kady clearly represent the "you should have loving killed him!" side (it's kind of easy to forget since all her suffering was offscreen but Kady is Reynard's victim too).

Edit: And yeah, the god killing bullet seems like a pretty obvious Chekhov's gun for the whole Ember/Umber mess.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

Kady clearly represent the "you should have loving killed him!" side (it's kind of easy to forget since all her suffering was offscreen but Kady is Reynard's victim too).

What I wonder about is: they've established that a character's recollection of some encounter with a god isn't necessarily shared or accurate. Julia spoke to Persephone and got into a whole ethical debate, but who knows if Kady saw the same thing. Maybe to an outside observer, it looked like Julia aimed her gun at Reynard and just didn't pull the trigger.