Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

bman in 2288 posted:

Still following along with this despite not having the game. Have a question:

Are the resistance members Androids, or are they human?

They're all Androids. The exposition scroll earlier said all the humans are chillin on the moon. Earth is just a big robo-rumble zone now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I thought the corpse system was kind of dumb at first but then i realised that the game doesent auto save. Which means that as long as you can get your corpse back you dont lose any progress. If you lose your corpse youll just have to reload from your last manual save. Its technically a pretty forgiving system as long as your corpse doesent get stuck in a place where you cant get it safely. Which there arent many.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
There is a time for Spear where I did find it helpful. And it's during the sidescrolling sections. Due to the fact that Spear comes out in a straight line, it gets full coverage on the single axis. It's useful for taking out enemies attacking you from both sides, which happens alot during side scrolling segments.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah, in my experience spear is amazing for the sidescroller parts. Way better than anything else I used, at least.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

bman in 2288 posted:

They're all androids. Unless the game explicitly says otherwise, it's best to assume everyone we meet is an android of some fashion.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The only sad thing about Ending T is that they didn't do a unique loading screen for it.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

I think I "actually" died in an area where I could leave a corpse like once playing the game and getting all the endings. I'm pretty sure it was too a moose.
The corpse run mechanic was a non-issue for me, especially once I broke the game with upgrade chips.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Bholder posted:

Most of the sidequest at this point are easy to do and don't require you to go too far away, but maybe I'm the odd one here because I also like to play Bethesda games without any fast travel...

You must have a brain parasite or something. I mean, yea, views and all that...but god drat, all that tedious backtracking and all.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Kemix posted:

You must have a brain parasite or something. I mean, yea, views and all that...but god drat, all that tedious backtracking and all.

Doing "no fast travel" runs in open world games can be fun, but loses it's lustre if/when you're running up and down the exact same path for the 3rd+ time, let alone your 20th or 30th run through NA's hub ruins.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mazerunner posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there another person who sells the same stuff? up in the bunker, in the terminal section Although, not really a spoiler since we were pointed in his direction last update, just didn't actually go visit.

ps. good game, good LP

You are right that there is a second person who can do the work, though they sort of randomly disappear and reappear over the course of the story, so I can see why you can miss them.

bman in 2288 posted:

I don't think its ever explicitly said, but the Resistance is more or less the remaining android forces on Earth

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Mazerunner posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there another person who sells the same stuff? up in the bunker, in the terminal section Although, not really a spoiler since we were pointed in his direction last update, just didn't actually go visit.

ps. good game, good LP

exploded mummy posted:

You are right that there is a second person who can do the work, though they sort of randomly disappear and reappear over the course of the story, so I can see why you can miss them.
They're also tucked away in a remote corner I wouldn't blame anyone for forgetting to check, with a boring, unskippable elevator animation in between.

I found them by virtue of obsessively checking where every door went, then forgot to speak to them again for the rest of my first playthrough.

Whammiewazzle
Apr 29, 2016

I liked using Spear because it still does that holding enemies in the air thing the one from NieR did.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Ilove ending T, I read no less than 5 idiots playing on hard remove it towards the end of the prologue who proceeded to rage about it. It was the first thing I did when I finally saved.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Hammer was my bread and butter in hard mode. It could wipe out or seriously maim + scatter entire groups of enemies, something that mirage couldn't do as well for whatever reason

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I wondered what was up with Pure Water. When I finished the game I had like 2 and never got to upgrade a pod once.

I pretty much only used Mirage and Laser for the whole game. Mirage for style points and Laser in situations where Mirage couldn't reach the enemy.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Bad Seafood posted:

They're also tucked away in a remote corner I wouldn't blame anyone for forgetting to check, with a boring, unskippable elevator animation in between.

I really like the elevator animation; it's only about four seconds and it provides a much smoother transition than most of the other 90-degree camera shifts.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Iretep posted:

I thought the corpse system was kind of dumb at first but then i realised that the game doesent auto save. Which means that as long as you can get your corpse back you dont lose any progress. If you lose your corpse youll just have to reload from your last manual save. Its technically a pretty forgiving system as long as your corpse doesent get stuck in a place where you cant get it safely. Which there arent many.

Due to the fact that you can just reload your last save, the corpse system doesn't just become really dumb, it also becomes really loving pointless. It's the biggest blemish on this otherwise amazing game.

Though granted, I only died once (:smug:) so it was never a problem for me, which in a way made it even more pointless.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Zomborgon posted:

I really like the elevator animation; it's only about four seconds and it provides a much smoother transition than most of the other 90-degree camera shifts.
I thought it was cool the first time, but having to sit through it several times (checking out the R&D department and the hangar) started to grate on me.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Bholder posted:

Eh

Most of the sidequest at this point are easy to do and don't require you to go too far away, but maybe I'm the odd one here because I also like to play Bethesda games without any fast travel...

Now there is one quest that requires you to go all over the map though, yeah, don't do that until you get fast travel

More power to you if you wasting time unnecessarily for zero reason.

Mazerunner posted:

ps. good game, good LP

I forgot that one. Mostly because I've played this game 70+ hours. That technician was only ever in the Bunker while I was around a grand total of twice. She may as well not exist.

Alavaria posted:

So... I take it this game has delightful gently caress-yous to people trying to be completionists. :sun:

The final joke ending you can possibly unlock is the only thing in the game that's 100% possible to miss forever.

bman in 2288 posted:

Unless otherwise noted, everyone we meet that looks vaguely humanoid is an android. The Resistance are all leftovers from previous Machine War descents. YoRHa androids have only been around for a decade or so, tops. Most of the Resistance has been stuck on planetside for at least a century or more.

Iretep posted:

It's fundamentally lovely mostly because you respawn at the last save point so... you might as well just reload the last save instead of doing a de-powered corpse run. The only time it'd likely come up is if you're playing on Hard and that already has enough bullshit without a half-baked Dark Souls online mechanic. There's also the other half of it which is...

Sindai posted:

I wondered what was up with Pure Water. When I finished the game I had like 2 and never got to upgrade a pod once.

I pretty much only used Mirage and Laser for the whole game. Mirage for style points and Laser in situations where Mirage couldn't reach the enemy.

Pure Water only spawns in the tiniest area of the game. One which is PRETTY clearly unfinished one considering it gets a title card, has a decent amount of concept art and is... a minute long in-game. Nobody went back and thought to sell that poo poo somewhere.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Dark Id posted:

It's fundamentally lovely mostly because you respawn at the last save point so... you might as well just reload the last save instead of doing a de-powered corpse run. The only time it'd likely come up is if you're playing on Hard and that already has enough bullshit without a half-baked Dark Souls online mechanic.

Honestly I just figured the entire mechanic was one final middle finger to the people who, despite all the prompting to do so, failed to use the save points properly. "See? If you still can't save we'll give you the ability to corpse run. Except it'll be lovely and you'll have a bad time so go fuckin' save and reload next time you die." Doubly so since there are deaths that force a reload instead of letting you corpse run anyways, like the OS chip removal. Like the playtesters just wouldn't shut up about autosaves and YT was just like "fine, here, corpse run, go gently caress yourself"

e: Actually in that vein, is there any backstory on Yoko Taro's vendetta against autosaves? I mean, when the default HUD chip list even has a "giant flashing bullshit on your screen when you can save" chip that's turned on by default, and yet the game absolutely will not under any circumstances autosave, I have to wonder what's the story with that.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 10, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pure Water sucks, there's a way to respawn the nodes that give it fairly easily though, but we're a million miles away from it.

You can cheese the corpse system by turning down to Easy if you really really want to. There's not a huge reason for it to be in the game but its not the end of the world either.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Corpse system is interesting but not really well executed. I think it may be a remnant of something grander which for budget reasons has been presented as is. It's a Platinum game after all - those guys always run out of money and resort to backtracking half the game content. :v:

Edit:

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

e: Actually in that vein, is there any backstory on Yoko Taro's vendetta against autosaves? I mean, when the default HUD chip list even has a "giant flashing bullshit on your screen when you can save" chip that's turned on by default, and yet the game absolutely will not under any circumstances autosave, I have to wonder what's the story with that.

It's sorta kinda spoiler territory so I won't post it here but Yoko Taro did an interview with Siliconera recently where he explores this very topic. Google will probably find it easily.

jyrque fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 10, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

jyrque posted:

It's sorta kinda spoiler territory so I won't post it here but Yoko Taro did an interview with Siliconera recently where he explores this very topic. Google will probably find it easily.

Unless I found the wrong interview, that one doesn't address the autosave question at all.

The only thing I did find relating to the autosaves explicitly was

quote:

One amusing question that came up asked Taro why doesn’t the game have an autosave feature, despite being called “Automata.” His answer was that save stations are a staple of JRPGs that he wanted to keep. This was also the way it’s worked with the original Nier.

So I guess that's that :shrug:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
The only time you ever really want to continue from a death instead of reloading a save is because some bosses actually do have checkpoints, which mind you makes it even more stupid that the first 40 minutes of the game is completely devoid of them

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Unless I found the wrong interview, that one doesn't address the autosave question at all.

Taro has a saving complex and I think lack of auto-saving fits that aptly. Saves are very important.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

really queer Christmas posted:

Due to the fact that you can just reload your last save, the corpse system doesn't just become really dumb, it also becomes really loving pointless. It's the biggest blemish on this otherwise amazing game.

Though granted, I only died once (:smug:) so it was never a problem for me, which in a way made it even more pointless.

The Dark Id posted:

It's fundamentally lovely mostly because you respawn at the last save point so... you might as well just reload the last save instead of doing a de-powered corpse run. The only time it'd likely come up is if you're playing on Hard and that already has enough bullshit without a half-baked Dark Souls online mechanic. There's also the other half of it which is...

Ok since i wasnt very clear: Imagine someone is really dumb and doesent save every 2 minutes. If he dies he would lose all progress without the corpse mechanic. The system is there to cut that frustration out. Basically you dont need to save every 2 minutes because of the corpse system. If you die and get your corpse back, you dont lose any progress. Its a solution to the whole no autosave problem.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I love Taro for that. I hate Autosaving too, Ive never had an issue with manual saves but every time I've ever relied on autosaves the power has gone out, the system had issues, starting the second I pushed the power button, etc my save gets hosed.

Plus the incessant complaining of people spoiled by it on anygame without. Autosave doesnt match well with standard RPGs you never know when youre going to need to go back to that last save.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

MythosDragon posted:

I love Taro for that. I hate Autosaving too, Ive never had an issue with manual saves but every time I've ever relied on autosaves the power has gone out, the system had issues, starting the second I pushed the power button, etc my save gets hosed.

Plus the incessant complaining of people spoiled by it on anygame without. Autosave doesnt match well with standard RPGs you never know when youre going to need to go back to that last save.

But ideally, there shouldn't be situations where something like that happens in the first place (Unless autosaving is used to circumvent gaming saves for whatever reason.)

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The lack of an auto save also fits nicely into the game's story, like how 9S forgot the whole prologue because he didn't manage his saves properly.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
In light of the rebel camp being previous android models, I'm now really curious about what prompted the change to "slim, white-haired teen" as the standard. Unless it's more a coincidence that everyone in our party is that way, since that one YoRHa person in the camp has red hair.

The Dark Id posted:

able to save in more locations by activing access points

We may come back later in the game to speak to his woman.

an accurate picture from this—out satellite resolution isn’t so hot

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Or, games could just do it like Witcher 3 did and save literally all the autosaves, because the save format is actually optimized and doesn't take much space.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I went back and listened to the audible conversation between the two operators on the Bunker about diet, exercise, and weight loss, and it's pretty funny. One tells the other it would be easier to see her slimming down if she wore tighter clothes, which I'm pretty sure is physically impossible.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Bholder posted:

Eh

Now there is one quest that requires you to go all over the map though, yeah, don't do that until you get fast travel

Fast travel really ruined Bethesda games for me, in this game it's ok but for the most part it would only save a minute or two over walking so I didn't really see it as a big deal.

I skipped on a lot of fast travel just because walking to a location was just more fun than watching the same cut scene the billionth time.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Renoistic posted:

The lack of an auto save also fits nicely into the game's story, like how 9S forgot the whole prologue because he didn't manage his saves properly.
There were no save points though.

Despite that, you have a point in that he was able to transfer 2B's data in about the time it took for two black boxes to explode. Perhaps he has a built in save point that he never uses the rest of the time, hmm

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Maybe one of the new Goliath units had a safe point somewhere :v:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
9S saved last time in the bunker. By using convenient plot hole he was able to bend the rules and upload 2B's save data without a nearby access point.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

jyrque posted:

9S saved last time in the bunker. By using convenient plot hole he was able to bend the rules and upload 2B's save data without a nearby access point.

Maybe 9S is a sentient save point and he's just too polite to say so.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

quote:

DO NOT DO ANY SIDEQUESTS UNTIL YOU UNLOCK FAST TRAVEL! THERE IS A MAIN QUEST THAT TASKS YOU TO INVESTIGATE A VERY LARGE HOLE! MAINLINE THE PLOT UNTIL YOU GET TO THAT QUEST!

I'll heed that advice

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Nuebot posted:

Maybe 9S is a sentient save point and he's just too polite to say so.

But he follows you everywhere and you still have to find a static access point in order to save. Maybe you need authorization for that just like "being able to move to avoid immediate peril/giant laser" is something you have to OK with the home base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

jyrque posted:

But he follows you everywhere and you still have to find a static access point in order to save. Maybe you need authorization for that just like "being able to move to avoid immediate peril/giant laser" is something you have to OK with the home base.
Actually that makes sense. Sensing he was gonna die, he got authorization for an upload, but then poo poo went down, so since they were both going to explode, he uploaded 2B and then couldn't do anything else in time before explosions.

The special data upload permission must be really tough to obtain, I bet they crack down on people abusing that really hard. They must have a rather tight limit on their data plan.

• Locked thread