Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Really enjoyed the first issue of Rock Candy Mountain and I'm looking forward to more hobo hi-jinks in future issues!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Is that stuff scrawled on the blackboard by Lois' arm kryptonian or could the artist just not be bothered to put actual letters in there?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Grendels Dad posted:

Is that stuff scrawled on the blackboard by Lois' arm kryptonian or could the artist just not be bothered to put actual letters in there?

It's meant to represent actual writing, but the artist/writer don't put anything legible there because it would compromise the composition of the image.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Really enjoyed the first issue of Rock Candy Mountain and I'm looking forward to more hobo hi-jinks in future issues!

It's by the Sexcastle guy right? That's why I get the feeling I'm reading something that desperately wants to be funny or insightful but isn't

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
When i read the synopsis it sounded like some dude got high and watched bum fights and didn't think it was incredibly offensive

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Mob Psycho 100. The crew have a close encounter with some terrifying aliens.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Calaveron posted:

It's by the Sexcastle guy right? That's why I get the feeling I'm reading something that desperately wants to be funny or insightful but isn't

Those pages read like slightly edgier Squirrel Girl to me. Like, each page got a laugh but I think a whole issue or series would burn me out.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

That's really cute.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

"Oh no, you've caught me! I'm falling over!"

Superman is the best. :3:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

She-Hulk reaches peak footnote in #38:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sexual assault via footnote is a new one.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Footnotes were great. I always loved that the first mention of Midgard* would get one in every issue of Thor.

* Earth --Ralf

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
So was Byrne's run on She Hulk just an endless stream of increasingly grosser dudes stalking her and her clothes getting destroyed as much as possible?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

joehonkie posted:

So was Byrne's run on She Hulk just an endless stream of increasingly grosser dudes stalking her and her clothes getting destroyed as much as possible?

Not really.

In one issue there were three blank pages before this happened:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

What Im getting from this is that Deadpool would be lucky to be as funny as She Hulk

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

There was that one Deadpool Annual where Howard the Duck made an appearence after Wade froze everything with the Infinity Gauntlet. She Hulk should have made a quick cameo. She's the missing link.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
She-hulk is one of those books that has the potential to be entertainingly written because Hulk without the existential angst can be fun, and historically it's allowed writers to explore some neat alternative concepts to the stock Hulk tropes (there was one run that had a bit of a focus on how Jen has pretty much the opposite problem as Bruce because her insecurities about herself when she's in normal form was basically making her want to stay green all the time), however you have to be really careful to ensure that you don't end up in a situation where she's being drawn one-handed by Frank Cho.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I bought the omnibus of the first Superman comics (a good 300 or 400+ pages' worth) on Comixology and it's a loving trip. Along with lacking many of his famous powers (he's only able to leap 10 stories, run faster than a locomotive, and hold up a bridge to keep a train from falling into a canyon), he deals with some of the most boring and normal crimes he can find.

One issue is dedicated to him finding out that a university football coach has hired some thugs as football players to beat the opposing team at the big game so he can keep his job, so Superman kidnaps the other team's benchwarmer and impersonates him on the field so he can single-handedly defeat the goons. He almost ruins his own plan when he gets in a pissing contest with one of the players on his team and hurls him into a locker.

The first full issue has him finding out that a corrupt senator is colluding with weapons manufacturers to start a war in South/Central America and make a profit, so he kidnaps the senator and dresses both of them up as soldiers so he can force him to fight in the war and see how terrible it is so he'll become a pacifist.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You know Buddy, I don't think you just happen to get married.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Breetai posted:

being drawn one-handed by Frank Cho.

So that's why all of his women's faces look the same.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Oh man, and he even has to play up the Spider Woman controversy. What a tool.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alhazred posted:

She-Hulk reaches peak footnote in #38:

Someone posted a six-star footnote a bit back, so Shulkie's not quite hit peak.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

chitoryu12 posted:

The first full issue has him finding out that a corrupt senator is colluding with weapons manufacturers to start a war in South/Central America and make a profit, so he kidnaps the senator and merges them both into a single being and hands them to the guerrillas to be tortured to death.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Those Superman stories sound so good.

One of the better comic shops in my city has a hardcover collection of this stuff and I seriously considered buying it yesterday.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Like literally the very first Superman story is him tracking down and beating the poo poo out of a guy who beats his wife.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lobok posted:

Those Superman stories sound so good.

One of the better comic shops in my city has a hardcover collection of this stuff and I seriously considered buying it yesterday.

You really should. Hanks' comics are like fever induced nightmares put to paper.

e: case in point

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

muscles like this! posted:

You know Buddy, I don't think you just happen to get married.

Get drunk in vegas and you never know whats gonna happen

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've got both I Shall Destroy All the Civilized Planets and You Shall Die By Your Own Evil Creation and they are really good quality collections. Like, every story is almost the exact same formula - Stardust/Phantomah learns of evil guys doing evil things; watches them actually do it; then merges them all into one person so Hanks doesn't have to draw too much and punishes them ironically, but they're fascinating nonetheless.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Evil Mastermind posted:

You really should. Hanks' comics are like fever induced nightmares put to paper.

e: case in point

Didn't Stardust show up in one of Moore's works as, basically, a cosmic-level villain?

E: V This makes me wonder what Marvel Universe Etsy is like. V

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 10, 2017

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

joehonkie posted:

Byrne's not writing Spider-Man , is he?

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

KaosMachina posted:

Didn't Stardust show up in one of Moore's works as, basically, a cosmic-level villain?

E: V This makes me wonder what Marvel Universe Etsy is like. V

I think he was found frozen in one of the backups of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

hup posted:

I think he was found frozen in one of the backups of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

I don't have it on hand, but I seem to recall the dude there saying something about his breath '"stinking of alcohol' too (Fletcher Hanks was a violent drunk--and froze to death on a park bench).

Esplanade fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 10, 2017

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
I own the hardcover Fletcher Hanks collection and can confirm it is awesome and I am at least 300% cooler now because of it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
300% of 0 is still 0.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

biracial bear for uncut posted:

300% of 0 is still 0.

Ice cold

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Isn't one of the early Superman stories him strong-arming a bank into giving a regular dude a loan, because they're been loving with him Mr. Potter style?

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

Byrne's not writing Spider-Man , is he?

Source?

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Spigs posted:

Source?

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN & SILK: THE SPIDER(FLY) EFFECT miniseries/Infinite comic, depending on your preference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Metalshark posted:

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN & SILK: THE SPIDER(FLY) EFFECT miniseries/Infinite comic, depending on your preference.

I recommend this if you enjoy the Silk series. It's by the same writer and is a nice time travel team up with Spidey where he and Silk have to team up and accidentally mess up the past where they get their powers and then being powerless have to fix that with help from Uncle Ben. It's both a funny and sweet story.