Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The wheels continue to turn on Axanar, as now the newest update says the Indiegogo was all about the sets, not paying rent.

But read this, and see if you can detect the minor issue. I've bolded it to help out.

quote:

Axanar Productions will be able to shoot at the Industry Studios stage, but we need to move out so the studio can be rented out to other productions. This is a huge win as it eliminates the financial burden of the stage, but allows us access to the studio! The donor money spent will not have been wasted, and continue to benefit Axanar Productions. In addition, we are working out terms with the landlord by which a portion of any profits will come back to Axanar to compensate us for the investment of donor money we made in the facility.

So, with just under two weeks left to go in our campaign, it’s time we consider making a strategic change in this campaign. Do we put the amazing sets of Axanar in storage or do we rent a new, much less expensive studio in Atlanta, GA. (The third largest film industry in the country).

It's also worth noting that Peters formed a shell LLC in Georgia two months ago, so this is by no means a "new" development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
His whole plan was to use Star Trek to raise money to create his own studio. He created the studio, ran out of money and has now lost the studio and there's still no Axanar. This guy should just fire himself into the sun.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cojawfee posted:

His whole plan was to use Star Trek to raise money to create his own studio. He created the studio, ran out of money and has now lost the studio and there's still no Axanar. This guy should just fire himself into the sun.

Remember, Christian Gossett produced email chains in which Peters said all along his idea with Axanar was for CBS or Paramount to buy it out from him and give him a seat at the table for Star Trek's creative future. He desperately wanted to be one of the guys in charge of the franchise.

Oh, one other thing -- one of the few things we do know about the settlement that Peters signed to stave off the lawsuit was that he was forbidden to do any further crowdfunding to pay for Axanar. (That's why the new Indiegogo campaign was "about" paying rent at the studio to allow other independent films to set up shop there.) But if he takes that crowdfunded money and uses it to store or transport his sets to Georgia, in effect using crowdfunded money to assist in the production of Axanar ... well, I'm sure CBS and Paramount have at least a few lawyers on retainer who would be happy to see that as a material breach of settlement.

Timby fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 9, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd laugh if the writers strike kills Discovery before it even starts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

twistedmentat posted:

Hey, they could get their two finished episodes out. You know, the ones that took them two and a half months to make. :lol:

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

twistedmentat posted:

Time to go back and use some Phase 2 scripts. Still got 9 unused episodes.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

twistedmentat posted:

Wouldn't CBS have to refund a shitload of money in that event? It's supposedly already effectively bought and paid for by international distribution deals.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Wouldn't CBS have to refund a shitload of money in that event? It's supposedly already effectively bought and paid for by international distribution deals.

Yeah, Netflix bought the non-North America streaming rights for a boat-ton of money, and depending on which interview with Les Moonves you check, it paid for either half or all of the season's production costs.

Although that was said at a time long before the series went massively over-schedule (and, presumably, massively over-budget).

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
CBS is Axanar.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DirtyRobot posted:

CBS is Axanar.

What the gently caress does that even mean?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I assume that whatever comes of Discovery will be about on par with what may have come of Axanar had it been a real thing.

And I'd probably agree at this point.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I thought they meant that a ton of money has been poured into it and there's nothing to show for it yet. At least Axanar has a trailer with footage of actors.

A strike would delay an already massively delayed production, and Netflix has to be upset they haven't delievered anything yet. At least Netflix didn't do a while amount of promotion last year when it was supposed to be out by January, or they'd be ever madder.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
So, since more Star Trek is evidently not coming out soon, if ever, what other shows might scratch the TOS itch for me? And by that, I don't mean aping the appearance of a 60s TV show, but something where exploring space is an adventure, not (for instance) a desperate struggle for survival or just another way to make a buck. The whole 'boldly go' mission statement. It doesn't necessarily have to be airing right now, or even recently, and web content is also acceptable.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

FredMSloniker posted:

So, since more Star Trek is evidently not coming out soon, if ever, what other shows might scratch the TOS itch for me? And by that, I don't mean aping the appearance of a 60s TV show, but something where exploring space is an adventure, not (for instance) a desperate struggle for survival or just another way to make a buck. The whole 'boldly go' mission statement. It doesn't necessarily have to be airing right now, or even recently, and web content is also acceptable.

If you can handle an actual 60s TV show in black & white and non-English, Raumpatrouille. It's a West German miniseries about a space captain and his "phantastischen Abenteuer" on galactic patrol duty. It's about as cheap as TOS and has a similar vibe, but with somewhat better interior decoration. Brought to a premature end by budget problems, but it's a real classic.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Timby posted:

Remember, Christian Gossett produced email chains in which Peters said all along his idea with Axanar was for CBS or Paramount to buy it out from him and give him a seat at the table for Star Trek's creative future. He desperately wanted to be one of the guys in charge of the franchise.

And this is why, as lovely as it is for the average bear of a fanfilm who just wants to have fun and play in the sandbox, lawyers strongly enforce intellectual property and copyright. :(

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm just finishing up DS9 and I don't get the Keiko-hate. She seems pretty cool to me?

She obviously cares quite a bit about Miles' happiness. She gave up her career on the Enterprise to move to a crap station on the rear end end of nowhere to be with him. When she saw that he missed Bashir, she arranged the situation so they could keep playing holodeck games with each other without Miles feeling guilty about not spending all his free time with her. She couldn't have been hinting any stronger that she was totally cool with it if Miles wanted to swing with Kira, etc

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

DirtyRobot posted:

CBS is Axanar.

I was about to say CBS could get more episodes out by paying Axanar in not-having-to-sue-them

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

FredMSloniker posted:

The original run of Doctor Who? It wasn't even vaguely about 'what's special about this companion? What secret is the Doctor holding this time?' and was much more about 'what's out there and what adventure can we get into?'

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

VitalSigns posted:

I'm just finishing up DS9 and I don't get the Keiko-hate. She seems pretty cool to me?

She obviously cares quite a bit about Miles' happiness. She gave up her career on the Enterprise to move to a crap station on the rear end end of nowhere to be with him. When she saw that he missed Bashir, she arranged the situation so they could keep playing holodeck games with each other without Miles feeling guilty about not spending all his free time with her. She couldn't have been hinting any stronger that she was totally cool with it if Miles wanted to swing with Kira, etc

Keiko hate is totally a product of TNG imo and it just bleeds into DS9.

There's basically not a single moment in TNG where you ever see Miles and Keiko being a happy, well adjusted couple. DS9 isn't nearly bad and you're right that she's fine there.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

twistedmentat posted:

I thought they meant that a ton of money has been poured into it and there's nothing to show for it yet. At least Axanar has a trailer with footage of actors.

At least Discovery has actual product, because we know they've finished at least two episodes. All Axanar did was piss away $1.4 million after people jizzed over one of the stupidest fanfilms ever made. (Seriously, Richard Hatch's "performance" in that is unbelievably terrible.) And a strike wouldn't prohibit Discovery from shooting whatever scripts they still have.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FredMSloniker posted:

Ridiculous! Who would ever make a TV show that wasn't stark and grim.

seaQuest DSV had some aspects of this, though it's a lot more grounded... or should I say... SUBMERGED?

Also, have you watched TAS?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

FredMSloniker posted:

You should see Forbidden Planet, if you haven't yet. TOS cribbed a lot from that movie.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Mr. Homn vs. Maihar'du!

Which servitor reigns supreme?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

seaQuest DSV had some aspects of this, though it's a lot more grounded... or should I say... SUBMERGED?

Just remember, there's only one season.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Evek posted:

Time to go back and use some Phase 2 scripts. Still got 9 unused episodes.

They should broadcast a twitch stream of someone playing the Star Trek mod for Stellaris instead.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

MikeJF posted:

For some reason kid me right the season one finale was like, season two or three. It was really weird finding out later in life I'd only really seen season one.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Why do the Bajorans even have the Book of the Kosst Amojen anyway.

A blank book full of evil that you can only read if you're the Kai with the fresh blood of an innocent monk you just slaughtered? Why... would you have that. Even if there's important tips in there to defeat evil, only one person on Bajor can read it and in order to do it they have to be evil already!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Probably they figured a Prophet touched it so it's sacred now.

Or they're afraid destroying it will open the gates of hell or something.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
It probably doesn't burn either.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

VitalSigns posted:

Why do the Bajorans even have the Book of the Kosst Amojen anyway.

A blank book full of evil that you can only read if you're the Kai with the fresh blood of an innocent monk you just slaughtered? Why... would you have that. Even if there's important tips in there to defeat evil, only one person on Bajor can read it and in order to do it they have to be evil already!

Sounds pretty metal to me I'd keep it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Kosst Amojen come to me

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cojawfee posted:

Kosst Amojen come to me

Substitutiary kosst amojen

(:thejoke: ?)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

You know what, the titular submarine being blown up deep under an alien ocean while a boy genius and a genetic oaf languish in a rubber raft on the surface of a planet with no landmasses with only a single dolphin to keep them company is still one of the most cliffhangy cliffhangers I've ever seen.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Bloop posted:

You know what, the titular submarine being blown up deep under an alien ocean while a boy genius and a genetic oaf languish in a rubber raft on the surface of a planet with no landmasses with only a single dolphin to keep them company is still one of the most cliffhangy cliffhangers I've ever seen.

It's pretty similar to farscape's

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tunicate posted:

It's pretty similar to farscape's

Counterpoint

Farscape was not 100% garbage and was canceled, Seaquest was getting another season.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Data Graham posted:

Substitutiary kosst amojen

(:thejoke: ?)

You know bad stuff is going down if the Bajoran being spoken sounds like this:

Bajoran bajoran PAH-something. Bajoran bajoran PAH-something-or-other! PAH-something bajoran something!

It's like the example par excellence of "how to make up an alien language in 90s sci fi." I.e., make up a rhythm, but throw in one or two recognizable words (c.f. "Kree Jaffa!")

Memory Alpha to the rescue:

quote:

Example 1: Meeh rak Dorah Pah-wran... Ee-toi... Velah-slah... Pah-wran amar... Pah-wran Evak-too...*

Example 2: Tarna pur-ono ull-kess pah-ran. lano ka'la bo'shar lanu.

Example 3: Meek rak dorrah Pah-wran... Yelim cha ono kosst amojan... shay ta-hel ter-rah no'vala de-ram... aka'lu far che...

* This one is what that weirdo cultist was saying to Sisko before he stabbed him, at the beginning of S7. Honestly, Sisko should have been able to figure out bad stuff was going down. As soon as you heard "PAH other stuff other stuff PAH other stuff" you knew exactly what was up (though it was already a bit obvious, my point is honestly Sisko should have known too, instead of just being like, "hm, that sounds ancient bajoran").

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

DirtyRobot posted:

It's like the example par excellence of "how to make up an alien language in 90s sci fi." I.e., make up a rhythm, but throw in one or two recognizable words (c.f. "Kree Jaffa!")

Meeh rak Dorah Pah-wran... Ee-toi... Velah-slah...nipple-pinchy

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nessus posted:

Ridiculous! Who would ever make a TV show that wasn't stark and grim.

Also, have you watched TAS?

I love seaQuest DSV (and it really is a shame it only got one season) but that show in some ways was even more TNG than TNG was. But in a good way, if that makes any sense.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Bah weep grah nah pah-ninni bong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

MikeJF posted:

WHAT? And miss out on Michael Ironside being a dick to everyone? Bad advice, very bad advice.